This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Monday, August 16th, 2021 11:09PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 130,600

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.


Top 5 Best G1 Megatron Toys

Megatron has had loads of toys throughout the years and unlike Optimus, they have all been very very different from one to the next. That's because his original alt mode, a realistic 1:1 gun, is not something that can be made a toy of as easily as a truck. This list is an update to the one we did regarding toys that evoke the original look of Megatron we all know and love. Unlike Optimus Prime, that look has changed throughout the years but the general theme and aesthetic was still maintained.

5. Transformers Reveal The Shield Legends Megatron

This toy HAD to be on this list, at all cost since it is much more significant than one may think. It is, to this day, Hasbro's final stab at a Megatron toy that turns into a hand gun. Sure, he is small, but that comes with its own set of advantages. For one that means you have a G1 gun Megatron to scale with larger toys like Generations Metroplex, joining other G1 styled smaller toys like Optimus and Starscream. Plus, him being so small, means you have a transforming Megatron toy that can be held by Masterpiece Starscream. In fact, in terms of cross compatibility, Megatron in his gun form can be held by Starscream in both robot mode(thanks to a peg at the handle) and jet mode (thanks to the clip underneath).

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)
Image from Yatsuya's Reviews


4. Transformers G1 1984 Megatron (Reissue)

While G1 Megatron may look of with propotions and a trigger hear his crotch, I feel this is one of the main G1 toys everyone should experience. The transformation is very clever and it is very impressive how back in the 80s they could have a realistic gun turn into a robot. There are plenty of reissues available, so taht helps, and it turns out the reissues are even better than the original. The original Hasbro version couldn't fire pellets while the original Takara release was not silver but several reissues give you the best of both worlds by having a silver/chrome finish gun that actually fires.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)


3. WFC Siege Megatron Netflix (specifically the Netflix boxset)

This toy was a looooooong time coming. While we had several Classics Megatrons over the years, they were either too small or too big or a redeco of another character (like Blitzwing or Bludgeon). And finally in the Siege line, we got a G1 styled Megatron who was the right size and not someone else's mold/body. That is worth celebrating, let alone the fact that he is a fun toy. The proportions are nice, especially the size of the fusion cannon, and while the tank mode could be better the robot mode makes up for any alt mode shortcoming. I especially recommend the Netflix version since the deco is more apt, especially int terms of the weathering, and it fixes an issue with the ankles. Plus it comes with targetmasters we actually needed like a properly coloured Lionizer and pinpointer.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)


2. Transformers Generations Selects Super Megatron

This is a pretty awesome release. Super Megatron was a pipe dream to many. And while most fans were unaware of this G1 iteration's original source material, the look and character models were. Especially when there were intentional callbacks to that design in the now iconic Animated look. Also, it made the Titans Return Galvatron mold a worthwhile endeavor. That mold was so disappointing for getting so much right but still not enough. And here it is reworked perfectly as if there was no Galvatron toy and this is the toy designed from the start. Not true, of course, but it speaks to the fact of how well this toy works. It has a lot going on with two alt modes, and three robot modes (albeit they are simply changes in faces and chest details which is still pretty cool and rarely seen). Deep down it's a fun figure of a niche version of G1 Megatron that looks amazing.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)


1. Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP 36 Megatron

I will be honest, I had my doubts with this toy. The price was the highest I had ever paid for a Transformers figure and the intricacies of the transformation worried me. The previous MP Megatron was not fun to transform and this one was even more complex.
But all those worries melted away when I first transformed the figure. Well, even before even because i was amazed at how solid the robot was. This toy has great articulation and parts don't unclip, he really stays together as a full fledged action figure. And then when transforming him you see just how many parts are involved and you wonder just how it's possible that you have all these small moving piece that can disconnect and reconnect themselves in different positions to form two solid modes. The transformation, while complex, was not annoying. Every part had a place to go, it felt like a pleasant journey. I especially liked the side of his abdominal area disappearing within the body of the gun. I also like transforming the legs since there are smaller pieces used just for the robot mode to fill out the legs and since they disappear when forming the gun handle, it really gives the impression that the toy is morphing to accommodate closer proportions to what we see on the show even though initially the handle of the gun simply split into two legs.
Whether that last part was clear or not doesn't matter, what I want to get across is that I felt I had a great toy and a great experience and that it was money well spent. I do not know if this is the best Masterpiece toy of all time but it is easily the best G1 Megatron toy by a country mile.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Honourable Mention: 3. Transformers United Megatron

For over a decade, this was the best G1 styled Megatron toy. The design is still great and very smart. I especially love how the legs become different parts of the gun's alt mode and yet are identical. While the Hasbro deco was a bit off, with some purple and neon green, the Takara versions and the recent Platinum release have some very nice paint schemes. And while there have been better toys to represent G1 Megatron on a shelf since then, this is still one of the best designed and original Transformers toy to ever come out.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update)

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113309)
Posted by o.supreme on August 16th, 2021 @ 11:30pm CDT
The thing you have to remember about lists like this is that it is all based on opinion, and is just a chance for discussion, nothing factual. Personally, I wouldn't put any Megatron on this list that doesn't have a gun as an alt mode, because that is not the original Megatron. Super Megatron gets a pass because that's actually how he was in the Return of Convoy Manga.

I mean Netflix Siege Megatron is a great toy, I have it. But I don't consider it "G1 Stylized"
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113314)
Posted by Ultra Markus on August 17th, 2021 @ 12:34am CDT
i thought kingdom core megatron was pretty good as well
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113328)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 17th, 2021 @ 5:30am CDT
o.supreme wrote:The thing you have to remember about lists like this is that it is all based on opinion, and is just a chance for discussion, nothing factual. Personally, I wouldn't put any Megatron on this list that doesn't have a gun as an alt mode, because that is not the original Megatron. Super Megatron gets a pass because that's actually how he was in the Return of Convoy Manga.

I mean Netflix Siege Megatron is a great toy, I have it. But I don't consider it "G1 Stylized"

Such a list will only have 4 toys to be fair ;) a gun never made sense anyway to me, as far as Alt Modes go. Also I think Hasbro wants everyone to think that this is G1 Megs now, a tank.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113333)
Posted by william-james88 on August 17th, 2021 @ 7:17am CDT
Super Megatron gets a pass because that's actually how he was in the Return of Convoy Manga.


Would the Go Hunter Ratchet toy get a pass since that's actually how that same Japan G1 Megatron was in the "Cybertron Magna Convoy" comic?

Image
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113335)
Posted by Evil Eye on August 17th, 2021 @ 7:39am CDT
Good update to the list! Super Megatron is currently my "main" Megatron, I absolutely love that figure. Seriously fun and completely elevates the base mold.

I'd be tempted to add the T30(?) Legends scale tank Megatron to the list as an honourable mention myself, I rather like that figure. If he had thigh swivels I'd say he'd be perfect.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113345)
Posted by AcademyofDrX on August 17th, 2021 @ 8:48am CDT
Am I the only person who thinks that Super Megatron looks like literal garbage? It seems to me that the main reason people were excited about it is because it was so unlikely a toy to begin with. It's great that everyone can like different things, but I can't even conceptualize looking at those alt modes and weird kibble everywhere and saying, yes, this is one of the great Megatron toys, this rules.

To be clear, I'm happy for you if you love this toy, but I just don't get it. Like, at all.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113346)
Posted by o.supreme on August 17th, 2021 @ 9:16am CDT
william-james88 wrote:Would the Go Hunter Ratchet toy get a pass since that's actually how that same Japan G1 Megatron was in the "Cybertron Magna Convoy" comic?

Image


I've not read it, but since it came out in 2017 I'd say no, but again, that's just me. To me, the Original series is anything that occurred from 1984-1992. Media that continue to build on it after the fact are a different category. Also I understand I feel differently because while I understand that Marvel UK, and the Japanese anime are different continuities, I don't refer to them with terms like "Japanese G1" it's all the same era to me.

ZeroWolf wrote:Such a list will only have 4 toys to be fair ;) a gun never made sense anyway to me, as far as Alt Modes go. Also I think Hasbro wants everyone to think that this is G1 Megs now, a tank.


If #3 and the Honorable Mention were swapped, that would be 5 correct? Anyway, if we are going to start picking apart what did or didn't make sense, there would probably be no Transformers at all ;) . Lastly, as long as anyone who remembers the original series is alive, Hasbro can't expect everyone to accept their revisionist history. I understand from perhaps a moral perspective why they don't want Megatron to be a hand held weapon anymore (because Tanks are so much more friendly ;) ). I also don't expect to ever see a new Megatron toy with that alt mode either. Still, whenever I hear the name Megatron, nothing Hasbro can ever do will change the fact that the first image that comes to my mind is:

Image
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113351)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 17th, 2021 @ 10:39am CDT
I forgot nerf gun Megs #-o

Still, looks like Will took robot mode into account as well, hence Siege/Earthrise Megs as they do nail the character model.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113352)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on August 17th, 2021 @ 10:41am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote: a gun never made sense anyway to me, as far as Alt Modes go.


Aside from being a hold over from the Microman line, I thought the gun altmode choice was quite symbolic of Megatron's characterisation and beliefs. The whole "peace through tyranny" [of a gun].


AcademyofDrX wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that Super Megatron looks like literal garbage? It seems to me that the main reason people were excited about it is because it was so unlikely a toy to begin with. It's great that everyone can like different things, but I can't even conceptualize looking at those alt modes and weird kibble everywhere and saying, yes, this is one of the great Megatron toys, this rules.

To be clear, I'm happy for you if you love this toy, but I just don't get it. Like, at all.


Same. I thought the figure would have been better served as a brand new character with a different head sculpt. Instead of being wasted as a reference to an obscure, offscreen Megatron.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113353)
Posted by o.supreme on August 17th, 2021 @ 10:41am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I forgot nerf gun Megs #-o

Still, looks like Will took robot mode into account as well, hence Siege/Earthrise Megs as they do nail the character model.


Well there's always the R.E.D. figure as well ;)
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113357)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 17th, 2021 @ 10:56am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote: a gun never made sense anyway to me, as far as Alt Modes go.


Aside from being a hold over from the Microman line, I thought the gun altmode choice was quite symbolic of Megatron's characterisation and beliefs. The whole "peace through tyranny" [of a gun].


AcademyofDrX wrote:Am I the only person who thinks that Super Megatron looks like literal garbage? It seems to me that the main reason people were excited about it is because it was so unlikely a toy to begin with. It's great that everyone can like different things, but I can't even conceptualize looking at those alt modes and weird kibble everywhere and saying, yes, this is one of the great Megatron toys, this rules.

To be clear, I'm happy for you if you love this toy, but I just don't get it. Like, at all.


Same. I thought the figure would have been better served as a brand new character with a different head sculpt. Instead of being wasted as a reference to an obscure, offscreen Megatron.

Don't know, fans have been asking for it as soon as scans of the design made it to the net, with many consigning it to the "hasbro/takara will never do this" bin. Take a look at Kranas TFs they'll never make thread, and you'll find him mentioned a lot. Parts of the design was even recycled into the under-appreciated Animated Leader Class Megatron.

Anything is that Takara clearly made this Megatron to go along with their Star Convoy figure. So slapping a new head on it wouldn't have worked out given what they were wanting.

It is a love it or hate design though and is typical of the mecha designs for that era
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113359)
Posted by william-james88 on August 17th, 2021 @ 11:02am CDT
o.supreme wrote:I've not read it, but since it came out in 2017 I'd say no, but again, that's just me. To me, the Original series is anything that occurred from 1984-1992. Media that continue to build on it after the fact are a different category.


That's fair. My post was also very tongue in cheek, especially since it's a ratchet toy afterall.

Personally, what comes to mind when I think of Megatron is a purple dinosaur, so to each's own.

@Zerowolf, all I did really was just go through all the Megatron toys labelled as "G1" in TFwiki.

Image
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113360)
Posted by AcademyofDrX on August 17th, 2021 @ 11:03am CDT
Like I said, "It seems to me that the main reason people were excited about it is because it was so unlikely a toy to begin with." That's kind of silly to me, but I got Origins Bumblebee and the non-transforming guys in the Quintesson Pit set over the last couple years, so it's not like I can judge.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113361)
Posted by o.supreme on August 17th, 2021 @ 11:05am CDT
william-james88 wrote:Personally, what comes to mind when I think of Megatron is a purple dinosaur, so to each's own.


And that is an awesome Megatron as well. ;)^
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113370)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 17th, 2021 @ 11:31am CDT
william-james88 wrote:
o.supreme wrote:I've not read it, but since it came out in 2017 I'd say no, but again, that's just me. To me, the Original series is anything that occurred from 1984-1992. Media that continue to build on it after the fact are a different category.


That's fair. My post was also very tongue in cheek, especially since it's a ratchet toy afterall.

Personally, what comes to mind when I think of Megatron is a purple dinosaur, so to each's own.

@Zerowolf, all I did really was just go through all the Megatron toys labelled as "G1" in TFwiki.

Image

That works as well :lol:
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113379)
Posted by william-james88 on August 17th, 2021 @ 11:57am CDT
AcademyofDrX wrote:Like I said, "It seems to me that the main reason people were excited about it is because it was so unlikely a toy to begin with." That's kind of silly to me, but I got Origins Bumblebee and the non-transforming guys in the Quintesson Pit set over the last couple years, so it's not like I can judge.


It's all good. I always liked the design for Super Megatron even though I never really cared for where it came from and I like this toy for being a realization of that. What I would compare it to would be Animated Shockwave. I just feel you get a lot with that toy even though not all modes would be thought of as winner. He got more love than any other toy I can think of (two layers of twisting inner heads for example).

Also I find that Super Megatron makes for a really striking rendition of G1 Megatron in robot mode. I feel he legit looks better than the WFC toy we got. And it's cool how you can still get a nice clean silhouette by folding away the large amount of kibble.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113384)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on August 17th, 2021 @ 12:16pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Don't know, fans have been asking for it as soon as scans of the design made it to the net, with many consigning it to the "hasbro/takara will never do this" bin. Take a look at Kranas TFs they'll never make thread, and you'll find him mentioned a lot. Parts of the design was even recycled into the under-appreciated Animated Leader Class Megatron.

Anything is that Takara clearly made this Megatron to go along with their Star Convoy figure. So slapping a new head on it wouldn't have worked out given what they were wanting.

It is a love it or hate design though and is typical of the mecha designs for that era



This is the thing though. Fans of what? The animated series the design featured in? The long running comic book??
No, a Japan-only series of, basically, mini-comics. No personality. No new characterisation. Just "Super" Megatron. In that respect, due to the head sculpt alone, he is barely more recognisable as "Megatron" than the Machine Wars iteration.

What I meant by giving him a new head was, the figure never being released or acknowledged as a Megatron at all. Take the design, make it Orange/Red/Green/Blue/Whatever and have it feature in something of merit EG a new show.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113385)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 17th, 2021 @ 12:22pm CDT
Easy, fans of the design who wanted it, look at all the comments about it in the Selects thread. It's very possible tonlove a design but not care/hate/not know the source material. Heck that's my relationship with the Gundam Seed stuff :lol: love some of the designs from the show but the show itself...no.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113387)
Posted by o.supreme on August 17th, 2021 @ 12:32pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:This is the thing though. Fans of what? The animated series the design featured in? The long running comic book??
No, a Japan-only series of, basically, mini-comics. No personality. No new characterisation. Just "Super" Megatron.


That is an opinion, and you are entitled to it. However saying that any piece of Transformers fiction, no matter how short, and limited in distribution, is any less relevant than something else is a little harsh. Return of Convoy/Battlestars is (for lack of a better term), basically the 8th season of the original animated television series, only it was told through story pages instead of animation, due to budgetary reasons.

I really like the concept of how Megatron comes back. Not everyone does, granted...But I'm not sure how someone can look at this, and say there's no personality:

Image
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113391)
Posted by AcademyofDrX on August 17th, 2021 @ 12:46pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:That is an opinion, and you are entitled to it. However saying that any piece of Transformers fiction, no matter how short, and limited in distribution, is any less relevant than something else is a little harsh.

Personally, I think this perspective is completely fair. I also think it misses the point about this particular figure: it's not popular in spite of how esoteric it is, but because of that. This is a collector item because it was uncollectible. As a collecting philosophy, especially for a popular character with dozens of other versions, that's fair.
But I think it's also fair to say this version doesn't actually add much to the character or offer as much value for many collectors.

The TF wiki is on the short list of the best fandom Wikis ever. (I'd probably put it second behind Wookiepedia.) It's not just a reflection of its audience but an influencer on the community. I'm convinced that the deep interest in alternate continuities like TT and SG are specifically due to its organizational structure around continuity families. There's nothing wrong with any of that, but I think it's become a standard or even fandom philosophy, which elevates some of these one-off concepts over some of the characters or concepts I consider more central to the franchise.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113396)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on August 17th, 2021 @ 1:35pm CDT
Part of why I like Super Megatron is that I still remember that feeling of magic upon learning of it's existence. Like there was the whole secret history of G1 Transformers (which I thought ended with the show, basically) I just scratched the surface of.

It's not really possible to relate to now. Information and episodes are easy to find. But in the early internet it was just this hidden gem. This super obscure version of a favourite villain from my childhood.

And that's why I ultimately got it.

If I divorce Super Megatron for all that is he still just as "super"? If I'm looking at it objectively he does things I loath. I totally get the criticisms. But, it's true to the original design and that design is executed well. And the whole history is why I want it in the first place. Most of the time I get these things for the history behind them, not just because of a cool design.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113399)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on August 17th, 2021 @ 1:57pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
I really like the concept of how Megatron comes back. Not everyone does, granted...But I'm not sure how someone can look at this, and say there's no personality:

Image


Downgrading Galvatron into a Megatron? Regardless of how the design looked, if this had happened in the show - to my favourite G1 character - I would have hated it, as a kid.

I don't equate visual identity with personality. Personality comes from dialogue, interactions etc Visually, Beast Wars Megatron is a just big purple dinosaur. Add the voice and audio nuance, he becomes so much more.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the obscure. I often reference Machine Wars, Transtech, Car Robots etc and don't see why HasTak doesn't mine all that untapped potential in modern lines.

But, the problem I have with Super Megatron is one I've taken issue with before. There is this figure:

Image

Primitive Skateboarding Optimus Prime

It is a really good looking figure. Clearly it is a redeco (TR Powermaster Prime, who is himself a retool of CW Ultra Magnus). Which is the point. Seekers, Datsuns, Mini Vehicles etc All largely redecos, made into individual characters. PSOP and SM could/should have been also. Instead they will only ever be one of a multitude of variants for Prime and Megs, respectively. It is a waste of more unique designs.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113403)
Posted by AcademyofDrX on August 17th, 2021 @ 2:09pm CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Part of why I like Super Megatron is that I still remember that feeling of magic upon learning of it's existence. Like there was the whole secret history of G1 Transformers (which I thought ended with the show, basically) I just scratched the surface of.

It's not really possible to relate to now. Information and episodes are easy to find. But in the early internet it was just this hidden gem. This super obscure version of a favourite villain from my childhood.

You could write a book about how the internet transformed any fandom. Now episode summaries are a click away, but there was a time when the Japanese Headmaster series was barely known. You had to buy VHS bootlegs at a Comic-Con! Now you can just order DVD box sets, and get hardcover reprints of the manga from Viz. I'm forgetting the weird transition period, where the internet made things widely available but you couldn't make sense of anything. I remember reading the entire Marvel G1 comics series via scans someone had publicly posted.

In this context, I guess I can view Super Megatron as a celebration of that history rather than as a con or a pretender to the franchise. Not for me, but the fact that he's for anyone is a triumph.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113404)
Posted by o.supreme on August 17th, 2021 @ 2:22pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote: Add the voice and audio nuance, he becomes so much more.


But printed pages have no voice, or audio nuance, that's where your imagination comes in. I assume you prefer UK Galvatron to the one form the Animated series? How do you bring him to life? How is what is printed more than just words, and pictures to YOU? When you read his words, is it Frank Welkers crazy voice in your head, or is it another voice?

Super Megatron was created to surpass both who the character was as Megatorn, and Galvatron, and it showed in his design, he is unique. He wasn't going backwards.

If you want an example of that, I'd look to Action Masters. How did Galvatron revert back to Megatron, one without the ability to Transform to boot. THAT is very much, going backwards.

The comparison with seekers and skateboarding prime don't make sense to me. People seem to love SG Megatron, but all it literally is, is a new paint job, and 3 new accessories. Super Megatron is quite literally probably the most extensive retool of a modern figure (with perhaps the exception of X Panse from SS Jetfire).

I mean, ultimately, if you don't like the character, that is fine, but there is a difference between simply not liking a character, and saying a toy is terrible simply because you don't like the character.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113405)
Posted by DeathReviews on August 17th, 2021 @ 2:22pm CDT
Siege Megatron gets mentioned, but not Earthrise? Somehow, nobody ever seems to see that version of him. I thought it was at least as good as the Siege version, better in some ways because they didn't do the lazy "H" tank configuration. His treads actually line up and connect.

But those who say Megatron HAS to be a Walther P-38 may be constantly disappointed, because alas, they just don't DO realistic gun toys anymore. Even Legends Megatron has that ugly orange plug at the end of the barrel, so the intellectually challenged out there won't 'mistake' him for a real weapon.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113406)
Posted by AcademyofDrX on August 17th, 2021 @ 2:37pm CDT
I really like Earthrise Megatron, especially with the accessories from the Centurion pack. It's definitely an improvement over Siege for my collection. I think a lot of people hate his head sculpt, but it looks accurate to me. I feel the same way about SS86 Kup though, too.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113408)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on August 17th, 2021 @ 2:48pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:
AllNewSuperRobot wrote: Add the voice and audio nuance, he becomes so much more.


But printed pages have no voice, or audio nuance, that's where your imagination comes in. I assume you prefer UK Galvatron to the one form the Animated series? How do you bring him to life? How is what is printed more than just words, and pictures to YOU? When you read his words, is it Frank Welkers crazy voice in your head, or is it another voice?


As I was writing that, I was trying to think how to properly phrase personality through printed dialogue. Settling on the vague "audio nuance".
Also no, Animated Galvatron all the way. I didn't even know the comics existed until within the last 20 years. Normally, depending on the context of the story, my inner Galvatron voice is either Nimoy or Welker. Typically, if the dialogue doesn't match either IE Latter IDWverse, it doesn't sound right.


o.supreme wrote:I mean, ultimately, if you don't like the character, that is fine, but there is a difference between simply not liking a character, and saying a toy is terrible simply because you don't like the character.


I'm not saying I don't like, or that it is terrible. Only that it should have been made into a new character, so the design can continue to live on in the series, not just a collector's footnote. Thundercracker [the character] was born from being a "blue Starscream". Skateboarding Prime could have been...

Image

This obscurity.

Super Megatron could have been "Sentinel Supreme", "Killmaster" etc in a New line.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113411)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on August 17th, 2021 @ 3:47pm CDT
On Earthrise Megatron - I just can't get past his weird gun/sword accessory. It just ruins then entire thing for me.

Super is my main Megatron right now. But if it wasn't him, it'd be the 3rd party Hegemon. Scaled perfectly, is a gun, and has all the old accessories. Ironically his G1-ness made him out of place in a Classics collection when he first came out. Not any more.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113434)
Posted by william-james88 on August 17th, 2021 @ 5:48pm CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:On Earthrise Megatron - I just can't get past his weird gun/sword accessory. It just ruins then entire thing for me.


Same, plus they didn't fix the feet sticking out which look even more out of place. The deco is drab and I dislike the headsculpt.

Hence why I find the Netfkix version(s) superior
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113484)
Posted by bacem on August 18th, 2021 @ 2:07am CDT
Regarding earthrise megatron, compared to siege mold, is that siege at least declared from the start that it will be an alien vehicle, so even when some robot part sticks out, it still incorporated to the alien vibe. Earthrise alt mode, however, feels like a bit half assed attempt at earth tank mode. I feel like is some part were engineered better, it could earn a place on this list. For example:
-the feet. The fact that he is an earth tank makes the feet sticks out like sore tumb, and that could have been solved by giving him new feet and new hinge that allows that feet to swing 180° inside, filling the gap on the back of the tank, instead of relying on a partsforming square panel for that.
- the tank cannon and sword part should be designed to separate in two parts, sword and cannon. This should not be too hard either, as those two are actually two separate part to begin with, held together by glue and screw.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113486)
Posted by Sherlock Zero on August 18th, 2021 @ 2:18am CDT
I am pretty sure that I'm part of a minority, but I would have at least given both Transformers Legends versions of G1 Megatron an honorable mention. Maybe also give Rebirth Megatron the same treatment, even though I am 100% hoping that TakaraTomy will consider doing an updated version of Reverse Convoy/Rebirth Megatron.

Then again, I am not a fan of the post-G1 (This is meant to look like) Megatron figures. They always tend to feel a bit... off... whenever I manage to see them in person.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113493)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on August 18th, 2021 @ 5:12am CDT
I like the idea of Rebirth Megatron, but he's clearly not a G1 styled Megatron.

I'd love an update of him too. It's a great idea.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113507)
Posted by AcademyofDrX on August 18th, 2021 @ 8:42am CDT
Feet sticking out of the alt mode is a running theme in the Siege-to-Earthrise retools. I'm sure they could have done better if they'd engineered for a traditional tank from the start, but it's far from a deal breaker for me. At the risk of being too basic and rehashing previous complaints, I think the ER tank is a much better vehicle than anything Super Megatron turns into.

Earthrise Megatron is far from perfect, but he's the definitive G1 Megatron in my collection, and I imagine he'll remain that way for the foreseeable future. There are many other Siege and Earthrise figures that need corrections before him.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113570)
Posted by Sherlock Zero on August 18th, 2021 @ 6:09pm CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:I like the idea of Rebirth Megatron, but he's clearly not a G1 styled Megatron.

I'd love an update of him too. It's a great idea.


Actually, he is G1 Megatron after his spark took possession of Reverse Convoy's body. Which had the "How did he become a spark?" not be answered until TakaraTomy's Generations Selects manga. With the Double Spy-like feature being new, since the figure itself was retooled from the original G2 Megatron figure.

The only reason I cannot go beyond it being an "honorable mention" is because the figure looks dated when it is compared to the other figures in that line. But even then... If they do make an updated version, I will hope they don't disappoint you. Or decide to make it a MP figure just for their own reasons. :CON:
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113573)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on August 18th, 2021 @ 6:23pm CDT
Fenrir Zero wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:I like the idea of Rebirth Megatron, but he's clearly not a G1 styled Megatron.

I'd love an update of him too. It's a great idea.


Actually, he is G1 Megatron after his spark took possession of Reverse Convoy's body. Which had the "How did he become a spark?" not be answered until TakaraTomy's Generations Selects manga. With the Double Spy-like feature being new, since the figure itself was retooled from the original G2 Megatron figure.

He may be G1 Megatron but he just isn't styled like G1 Megatron.

Meaning he doesn't look like G1 Megatron. He's not silver with red accents with a big, black, fusion cannon.

G1 is a particular era. Super Megatron is a super obscure part of the era very late in the game, but he is a part of it. Which is why, I expect, he squeaks by.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113577)
Posted by william-james88 on August 18th, 2021 @ 6:36pm CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:
Fenrir Zero wrote:
Gauntlet101010 wrote:I like the idea of Rebirth Megatron, but he's clearly not a G1 styled Megatron.

I'd love an update of him too. It's a great idea.


Actually, he is G1 Megatron after his spark took possession of Reverse Convoy's body. Which had the "How did he become a spark?" not be answered until TakaraTomy's Generations Selects manga. With the Double Spy-like feature being new, since the figure itself was retooled from the original G2 Megatron figure.

He may be G1 Megatron but he just isn't styled like G1 Megatron.

Meaning he doesn't look like G1 Megatron. He's not silver with red accents with a big, black, fusion cannon.

G1 is a particular era. Super Megatron is a super obscure part of the era very late in the game, but he is a part of it. Which is why, I expect, he squeaks by.


Plus Super Megatron has the hallmarks of G1 Megatron. You can tell he is the same guy just beefed up.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113580)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 18th, 2021 @ 6:52pm CDT
I don't think Super Megatron should count either. Despite being ironically from G1, it's not THE "G1" Megatron.

Heck, many iterations of Cyberverse Megatron could be a better pick, like the excellent deluxe, for being more "on topic".

Regardless, I'm just waiting for Japan Post to stop being asses and allow EMS to ship back to Canada so that I can get Super Megatron at a normal price. That Megs is one of the more BAD-ASS Megatrons ever!
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113585)
Posted by Sherlock Zero on August 18th, 2021 @ 7:33pm CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:He may be G1 Megatron but he just isn't styled like G1 Megatron.

Meaning he doesn't look like G1 Megatron. He's not silver with red accents with a big, black, fusion cannon.

G1 is a particular era. Super Megatron is a super obscure part of the era very late in the game, but he is a part of it. Which is why, I expect, he squeaks by.


Sorry if I sound like I am some type of noob, but I am far from being one. I have been studying the Japanese G1 continuity (aka "G1 World") since 2011. So stuff like which Super Megatron is more obscure would have me say it is the one from The Battlestars. Before I find myself rambling on about his other forms.

And if we are going to be technical, I would have replaced "United" Megatron with Legends* "LG13" Megatron. The former sports something that looks like wings, which is a feature G1 Megatron's first (of many) form(s) did not have. Where as the latter has everything you claim a proper G1 Megatron needs to be part of this list.

(*: Even though his fiction says that it is a shell that houses his Action Master form. :lol:)
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113589)
Posted by Sherlock Zero on August 18th, 2021 @ 8:16pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:This is the thing though. Fans of what? The animated series the design featured in? The long running comic book??
No, a Japan-only series of, basically, mini-comics. No personality. No new characterisation. Just "Super" Megatron. In that respect, due to the head sculpt alone, he is barely more recognisable as "Megatron" than the Machine Wars iteration.

What I meant by giving him a new head was, the figure never being released or acknowledged as a Megatron at all. Take the design, make it Orange/Red/Green/Blue/Whatever and have it feature in something of merit EG a new show.


I totally understand how annoying TakaraTomy's continuation of their Generation One fiction can be. But I feel that it is slightly better than most of their animated stuff. I mean there are times they made Daniel look like a self-entitled toxic fan! :lol:

Plus the fiction behind the current Super/Ultra Megatron was also not my favorite. It pre-dates The Battlestars, which is fine as it is one example where their G1 fiction does not have an anime or manga tie-in, but it never really does much beyond promoting said figures.

But I will also say that I once encountered a vintage G1 collector who had publicly snubbed me when I noted that TakaraTomy had continued the G1 Headmasters line in Legends. I have my guesses why, but he continued to snub me after he made that claim.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113603)
Posted by Ultra Markus on August 19th, 2021 @ 12:24am CDT
why no love for kingdom core megatron
i think the robot mode was pretty well done :(
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113604)
Posted by Emerje on August 19th, 2021 @ 2:37am CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:why no love for kingdom core megatron
i think the robot mode was pretty well done :(

For me I hate his backpack, it's too big for his size. I really dislike his weird shoulder pads, they get in the way of his shoulders and don't make the tank look any better. And I can't stand his tank mode gun, looks dumb with the tiny and short handgun on the front, should have been his canon off the front and the hand gun just plugged into the top of the turret.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113607)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 19th, 2021 @ 4:05am CDT
They could have added some hinges to tuck in Kingdom Core Megs's backpack better. But I really, really LOVE that little guy. Better yet than the RTS one. The colors are magnificent, he look powerful in bot mode, the tank is big and bad-ass, plus... he play with himself. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113623)
Posted by Rogue-Primal on August 19th, 2021 @ 8:34am CDT
Technically Cyberverse tank Megatron fits in my book even as a joke entry.

There was a reason i got this Cyberverse Megatron to get rid of the terrible green tank Megatron from the classics The Ultimate Battle 2-Pack which i main bought for the Optimus figure. That green Megatron had a lot of problems on mine. The gimmick was terrible, the claw always fell off a LOT and the mushroom joint on elbow on the left arm couldn't stay straight.

I know 1 step changers aren't much since i missed out on a lot of definitive G1 Megatron's because of budget limitations but Cyberverse Megatron was better than classics tank Megatron ever was. I even said Starscream's favorite quote before i chugged into the garbage can :HEADHURTS:

Starscream: Oh, how it pains me to do this!

Megatron: Wait! I still function!

Starscream: Wanna bet?

[Starscream lets Megatron's body drift from the open shuttle door into space]

Megatron: Starscream!... argh!...
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113626)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 19th, 2021 @ 9:00am CDT
Cyberverse deluxe Megatron and the Battle Call Armor one are excellent though.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113629)
Posted by Rogue-Primal on August 19th, 2021 @ 9:34am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:Cyberverse deluxe Megatron and the Battle Call Armor one are excellent though.


Cyberverse Megatron 1-Step Megatron was last year purchase. But i do remember that when bought deluxe Grimlock (with one of Maccadam arms) this year... i did see Megatron from that same line as Grimlock but i think he's sold out, i only remeber seeing him once.

I don't regret buying Grimlock, but his crown can be hard to get onto robot head.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113639)
Posted by bacem on August 19th, 2021 @ 12:36pm CDT
Rogue-Primal wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:Cyberverse deluxe Megatron and the Battle Call Armor one are excellent though.


Cyberverse Megatron 1-Step Megatron was last year. But i do remember that when bought deluxe Grimlock (with one of Maccadam arms) this year... i did see Megatron from that same line as Grimlock but i think he's sold out, i only remeber seeing him once.

I don't regret buying Grimlock, but his crown can be hard to get onto robot head.


I have that cyberverse deluxe megatron, and i'll say if you can still find him, get him (heck, maybe some member here can lend a help on that). Only drawback i found is that he is loosey goosey out of the box, but some dab of polish, and he is a hella fun toy. Looks good in both mode, transformation is more fun than siege mold. Articulations are great too, one of the very few official toy to have butterfly joints on the shoulder.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113642)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on August 19th, 2021 @ 3:45pm CDT
Since this has gone into Cyberverse, which Cyberverse Megatron do you all think is the best? If you had to choose just ONE?

I just never got into the line, so I have little idea what it offers outside of Hot Rod (I collect Hot Rods).
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113650)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 19th, 2021 @ 5:04pm CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Since this has gone into Cyberverse, which Cyberverse Megatron do you all think is the best? If you had to choose just ONE?

I just never got into the line, so I have little idea what it offers outside of Hot Rod (I collect Hot Rods).


Honestly, I really love the Battle Call Armor Megatron. He's different enough from the rest and he's a fun little package.

Image
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113658)
Posted by cruizerdave on August 19th, 2021 @ 7:25pm CDT
I’ve always loved the Japanese version of Classics Megs.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (Update) (2113667)
Posted by william-james88 on August 19th, 2021 @ 11:50pm CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Since this has gone into Cyberverse, which Cyberverse Megatron do you all think is the best? If you had to choose just ONE?

I just never got into the line, so I have little idea what it offers outside of Hot Rod (I collect Hot Rods).


I love that deluxe, the transformation is involved for a toy that size.

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CROSSCUT Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Class Hasbro 2023 New"
CROSSCUT Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PROWL Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Class Animated Universe 2023 New"
PROWL Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K30 AUTOBOT ARK W/ MAINFRAME Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Titan New"
WFC-K30 AUTOBOT AR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-01 OPTIMUS PRIMAL + MEGATRON Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom 2023 New"
BWVS-01 OPTIMUS PR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-04 TIGATRON + BLACKARACHNIA Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro"
NEW!
BWVS-04 TIGATRON + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K43 HOT ROD Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core 2022 New 220329"
WFC-K43 HOT ROD Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRASHMASTER Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager Junkon Hasbro 2023 New"
TRASHMASTER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ENERGON MEGATRON Transformers Legacy United Core Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ENERGON MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SLUDGE Transformers Legacy Evolution Core Class G1 Dinobot Hasbro 2023 New"
SLUDGE Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "METROPLEX Transformers Legacy Cybertron Universe Titan Class Hasbro 2022 New"
METROPLEX Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS Transformers Legacy Deluxe G1 Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
SKIDS Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BOMBSHELL Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Insecticon Hasbro 2023 New"
BOMBSHELL Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL + RATTRAP Transformers War Cybertron Trilogy Kingdom Netflix 2021"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL + R ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #343 - In the Future Year 2000
Twincast / Podcast #343:
"In the Future Year 2000"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, February 10th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Six Shot and Decepticon Revolver" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Xort and Highbrow" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON