Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys

Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys

Saturday, August 25th, 2018 2:52pm CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 31,698

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys

Insects have been part of the transformers brand since the very very beginning. They are actually the very first animal based Transformers we have ever gotten, thanks to the insecticons. Scorpions and spiders aren't insects, so I didn't include them here. But don't let that stop you when you share your own top 5 list in the comments.

5. Transformers Generations Waspinator

This was a pleasant surprise. With the previous releases of new Beast Wars toys straying very far from the show models (like Universe Cheetor or the Cybertron Optimus Primal and Megatron toys) it was a breath of fresh air to just have a new Waspinator toy looking like his good old clumsy self. The articulation was as good as I could hope for and that headsculpt rocked! The character models were done after the toys and thus took some liberties, making the toys look unlike what we saw on TV, especially for the first year. So seeing Waspinator have such a perfect headsculpt was invigorating. He's a great looking insect too with a neat non intrusive wing flapping gimmick.

4. Transformers G1 1985 Kickback and Shrapnel

I should be frustrated that both the beast mode and the robot mode use the same head, which is almost like an unsaid faux pas, but he makes it work. It looks like a locust head in alt mode and a robot head in robot mode, complimenting the rest of either mode, so I quickly got over it. He even ends up looking more like a bug than his other two insecticon acolytes due to the long grasshopper legs which really go all out to sell the insect like proportions. The deco is also gorgeous in an 80s future way with the fullest deep purple I have ever seen. G1 toys have not aged well for the most part, but when looking at the insecticons, especially kickback, you can see how these striking designs can never die.

3. Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Cyberverse Hardshell

Sure the size isn't great but for a Cyberverse collection, he is imposing. he probably has the best transformation for a Cyberverse commander class figure (well, maybe tied with prime Ironhide) and the size doesn't sacrifice intricacy or detail. He looks awesome in both modes and makes for a mean looking beetle.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Beast Wars Metals Scavenger (Transmetal Inferno)

Man, how I wrestled with the idea of putting this guy as number 1. He really is incredible. As a 10 year old, I truly believed that he was perfection for a Transformers toy and my opinion hasn't changed much. These were formative years and I remember looking at this guy and seeing that unlike most other toys, he didn't reuse animal limbs for his robot limbs, he wasn't a shell former, had many new details for the robot mode and yet remained sleek. Not only is he sleek, he is downright unsettling in his ultimate maniac design. This guy reeks of villainy and not the fun kind, the scary kind. The kind you can have nightmares about. So not only is it a great Transformers toy objectively, when you take a look at the design it just takes it over the top. There are very little toys out there with as much personality as this one. And I haven't even talked about his drill hands that turn when you activate them through his shoulder (well I guess now I have).

1. Beast Wars Powerpinch

I remember being ten and seriously thinking that Power Pinch was the best Transformer toy of all time (the Transformers brand was 18 years at that point). This wasn't hyperbole or a spur of the moment thought we get when we first open a toy, this was after looking at all the toys in my modest collection. While Beast Wars is a great line, the conversions often repeat or are predictable, especially with mammals when either half their limbs or all their limbs serve double duty as both the limbs of the animal and the robot (Beast Wars TM2 Cheetor felt so lazy to me as a kid). But what is amazing with insects is that their anatomy doesn't give the toy designer such an easy way out. The limbs must come from somewhere else. Scavenger above is a gorgeous example, on a technical level, of such an achievement in design. However, I always found Power Pinch to be even better simply because it was based on a realistic bug. Limbs not serving double duty means there is no robot design or kibble found anywhere in earwig mode. The great weapon (a giant pair of shears) integrates perfectly into the tail. The transformation is as complex as we will ever get for a basic class transformer thanks to a nice amount of parts count (seemingly more than modern day legends class figures). The robot mode offers lots of new robot detail. Basically, the bottom half of his body and the head are pieces not seen in insect mode and yet there is minimal alt mode kibble to hide due to how the toy is engineered. It's a little marvel really and due to it being a toy from this era you have all the ball jointed articulation you would need along with a generous amount of painted details we could only dream of getting today. This is one of my favourite Beast Wars figures of all time and easily the number 1 pick for best insect Transformers.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys

Honourable mentions: There are a bunch of good insect Transformers out there that couldn't make the list. To mention a few off the top of my head, that were up for consideration, we had Beast Wars Mantis and Inferno, Transmetal Waspinator, Transmetal II Scourge and Scarem and Generations Bombshell.

Transformers Beast Wars Inferno Gallery

Transformers Beast Wars Scourge Gallery

This article was last modified on Saturday, August 25th, 2018 3:22pm CDT

Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980611)
Posted by boyatlarge on August 25th, 2018 @ 3:15pm CDT
"which really go all out to sell the incest like proportions."

An unfortunate typo here...may want to fix that.
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980614)
Posted by william-james88 on August 25th, 2018 @ 3:22pm CDT
boyatlarge wrote:"which really go all out to sell the incest like proportions."

An unfortunate typo here...may want to fix that.

Thanks, I did
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980615)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 25th, 2018 @ 3:26pm CDT

I'm also happy to see Hard Shell on the list, as he was one of my favourite legion commanders from Beast Hunters, such a fun toy, and a joy to transform.
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980618)
Posted by william-james88 on August 25th, 2018 @ 3:32pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I really liked this list :D good job! I did come across Power Pinch once when I was working in a vintage toy shop, but sadly he was missing...almost every thing. I did find Scavenger though, and I love him, one of my favourite poses for him was to angle his insect mode legs so that it looked like he was accessing multiple computer screens (I head cannoned him into a more tech savy con, who used his drills to get where his hacking couldn't take him).

yeah, I was really impressed with how satisfying it was a transformation for a toy so small. Very unique. And thats a super cool idea with Scavenger, I had not thought of that pose, but it works perfectly.
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980624)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 25th, 2018 @ 4:09pm CDT
To think that Powerpinch's toy was released, deco unchanged, as a good guy, and no less a kid character, over in Japan. 8-}

william-james88 wrote:Not only is he sleek, he is downright unsettling in his ultimate maniac design. This guy reeks of villainy and not the fun kind, the scary kind. The kind you can have nightmares about.
Probably helps that he was designed to be a Transmetal version of the crazy scary nutcase that was Inferno (and actually was Transmetal Inferno that when released in Japan). ;)

As for any other bug TFs that weren't listed here, I gotta give props to one Animated Waspinator. That is such a fun mold with a very sleek physique and superbly satisfying articulation. 8-)

I think I like it even more than the Generations mold for BW Waspinator, and even wish that Fun Pub had instead used it for the BotCon 2015 Waruders. I'd have LOVED to troop build the Animated mold. =P~
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980626)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on August 25th, 2018 @ 4:29pm CDT
Give this poor guy a hug...

I know, technically he's not an insect, but an isopod, or a type of crustacean. But we lump Pterosaurs and Dimetrodon with Dinosaurs, so...

I kid, I kid. :lol:

Good list Will, especially with the inclusion of the non-beetles and non-wasps. Beast Wars was perfect for diversifying with the creepy crawlies, with the dragonflies Jetstorm and Tonbot as a personal favourite:

Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980644)
Posted by Ultra Markus on August 25th, 2018 @ 6:45pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980645)
Posted by william-james88 on August 25th, 2018 @ 6:47pm CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:what about the g1 deluxe insecticons i thought they were superior to the regular ones

They feel much flimsier to me. No die cast. Plus i dodnt feel they dealt with the alt mode kibble as well.
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980652)
Posted by Emerje on August 25th, 2018 @ 7:27pm CDT
Power Pinch wasn't even on my radar, mainly because the one I bought back then the part where the pincer attaches in insect mode snapped off clean right out of the package. I only ever saw the one (and it was at TRU) so I never got to replace it or enjoy him as a whole insect. :(

Anyway, this was one of my favorite insects that is often overlooked.

Cicadacon had an interesting size between a Basic and a Deluxe, and interesting color scheme, a really nice head sculpt, four ball jointed wings, and those massive swords. He was a fun figure that really stood out among his other team members. The only down side was that his chest stuck out a lot, but that was common on some early BW figures so it was forgivable.

Manterror is another one I like a lot, particularly that unique folding transformation of his.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980658)
Posted by DISCHARGE on August 25th, 2018 @ 8:33pm CDT
+1 on Cicadacon.

Integral to Tripredacus. Great robot mode.
Wing swords that combine
And he's a cicada..I hear them outside..right now. Buzz.

Scavenger is hands down my favorite.
Thanks for including him.
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980666)
Posted by skywarp408 on August 25th, 2018 @ 9:40pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980670)
Posted by Emerje on August 25th, 2018 @ 9:55pm CDT
skywarp408 wrote:Wasn't he supposed to be Transmetal Inferno?

I think the story (or was it a theory?) was something like Inferno wasn't a big seller despite being on the cartoon so Hasbro changed the name of the Transmetal. We're lucky they didn't just cancel the figure outright.
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980671)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on August 25th, 2018 @ 9:57pm CDT
skywarp408 wrote:I remember finding Scavenger at a Walmart in the middle of nowhere in Central California coming back from Botcon 1998. He is a terrific figure and was hard to find at the time. Wasn't he supposed to be Transmetal Inferno?

He was. There are two theories of what may have happened:

1) It's an attempt on regaining/reusing a (lost) G1 trademark. Several other toys around the same time sported G1 names, like Silverbolt (the Magnaboss one), Ironhide, Prowl and Grimlock.
2) Inferno shipped in solid cases (like the other 2nd-year Megas), so he ended up a bit of a shelfwarmer. Fearing stores would be reluctant to have another colony form, Hasbro changed the name of the Transmetal toy... which shipped in solid cases as well as a tailender. Guess the result :lol:

Thankfully, the Japanese release was dubbed Inferno.
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980681)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 26th, 2018 @ 12:42am CDT
Not usually into insect ones cos they a bit icky, kibbly or just weird but where's my boy Insecticon from the 2010 movie line? He looks cool in both modes, has an awesome robot head sculpt (which even though he's a scout class is not the same head as his insect mode) and has crazy amounts of articulation?

DSC_0915.jpg

DSC_0917.jpg
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980725)
Posted by BeastProwl on August 26th, 2018 @ 12:22pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980731)
Posted by ZeroWolf on August 26th, 2018 @ 12:57pm CDT
BeastProwl wrote:Happy Skavenger is on this list. I know the poor guy's reputation in the fanbase, but I own him and I adore him :D

As far as I'm concerned, everyone should own him :D
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980740)
Posted by Ultra Markus on August 26th, 2018 @ 3:14pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

thats funny because they look like they deal with it pretty well more so than the others :-?
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1980756)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on August 26th, 2018 @ 3:47pm CDT
Ultra Markus wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

The green Barrage actually had the rear set of insect legs fold into the robot lower legs, and the front ones into the chest. That's unheard of! :shock:
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1981154)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on August 29th, 2018 @ 7:33am CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Ultra Markus wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Unheard of, but also unstable. His design was indeed impressive enough to warrant Energon Insecticon being an update of him (and looking far more capable of unleashing a barrage), but when you handle him in bot mode, he just feels too delicate, fiddly, and liable to fall over.

This is true of all 4 to a slight extent once you actually handle them, but the team's rep is probably most hurt by Chop Shop. In stag beetle mode he actually looks scary, only to be undermined by an incredibly goofy bot mode, with arm articulation that only allows him to either flap like a bird or shoot Autobots standing directly beside him. (Okay, so my fav toy Slamdance has similar arm restrictions, but he has plenty of shoulder cannons to shoot forward, and the coolest looking bot mode...getting off topic)

While I am proud to own all 4 D.I.s, even if this were a top 10, I'd say only Venom might make the cut.

But trying to stay positive, I'll second or third Manterror for having negligible undercarriage in in bug mode, and mind-blowing articulation in bot mode, even by BW standards! You can actually pose his legs so that he's standing upside-down with his head between his feet and his butt in the air, and he's stable enough to hold that pose forever if need be. EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEME YOGA!
(Sorry I can't find my digital camera...)
Re: Top 5 Best Insect Transformers Toys (1981156)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on August 29th, 2018 @ 7:38am CDT
is it really just me who loves the lil scout Insecticon from rotf then? :(

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Leader Class Soundwave & Laserbeak" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SOUNDWAVE Audio MP3 Player Spark Blue Version Takara Music Label" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Hoist Complete with Comic G1 CHUG" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers TCG Wave 2 Acid Storm Toxic Terror RT T01" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations Combiner Wars Skywarp" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS OPTIMUS PRIME & ROLLER, Thrilling 30 Legends 2013" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Dark of the Moon Backfire Left Rifle Spare Part Accessory 2011" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Highbrow XORT Headmaster  Walmart exclusive wave 2 heroic autobot!" on EBAY