Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated

Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated

Saturday, November 28th, 2015 12:30pm CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 88,107

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Editor's note: this list has been updated as of 17/08/2017

Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys

With us finally getting a Masterpiece Ironhide, I thought it would be a good time to look at all the good Ironhide toys we have had in the past. What is funny about Ironhide is that his initial figure is one of the most unappealing to a Transformers fan (especially a child). The toy itself doesn't have a head. Instead, it has a weird face on a sticker stuck on a seat behind his windshield. This is of course because he is a re-purposed figure from a line where little figures would pilot these mecha toys but while this is fun for toy history buffs, it is a weak consolation to a kid who just sees a toy which looks nothing like he does on the show. His next few toys were also pretty bad and he still doesn't have a decent classics-styled toy to this day. However, he does have some good toys under his diaper belt and here they are:

5. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Recon Ironhide

Oh man, would you look at this thing! It is bad to the bone. While people have a problem with the Ironhide Voyager mold, I never found it that bad. It definitely gave us a more complex toy. I always preferred the versions which hid his arms and this is one of them. The full load of weapons could hide anything, just look at the pictures below. This is Arnold Schwarzenegger's Commando in toy form. Plus, this was the very first toy to integrate the c-clip system where you could clip on new guns to different toys (like clipping Generations Darkmount's guns onto Generations deluxe Warpath).
Plus, his front bumper becomes a crossbow :michaelbay:

4. Transformers Dark of the Moon Leader Ironhide

I really like this toy. Sure, it is easier than every other movie leader since Revenge of the Fallen, but I am not complaining about being able to go from one beautiful looking truck mode to an amazing looking robot quickly. He is by far the best looking movie Ironhide to have next to any leader Optimus Prime on your movie shelf and he has some great gimmicks. He has two sets of guns that can pop up while in truck mode (and end up being deployable from his robot arms) and some hidden armament in his legs, including a really sweet knife when he likes to get up close and personal. Along with that he has his big leader electronics gimmick (is it normal that I miss those?) where his chest open up to reveal a giant cannon barrel which spins and lights up. While he has some negative points, the only one that bothers me aside from the obvious undercarriage kibble is that the truck sides just bunch up under his robot arms. It isn't the prettiest sight but it does add some much needed bulk. While people can dislike movie figures all they want, I feel nostalgic for nice hefty Transformers Leader figures who had a bunch of fun electronics and sublime detail. I mean think about it, you get fully retractable weapons in both bot and alt mode, a gun and big knife hidden in a leg scabbard ala Robocop, great paint apps for a retail release and a battle mask!

3. Transformers Prime: Cyberverse Ironhide

This is fun design, incorporating Ironhide into the Prime line and aesthetic. This design is actually phenomenal since it brings so much together at once. He is a great amalgamation of the G1 and movie look in a more animated aesthetic with the headsculpt and clear chest (G1 cues) working with the pickup truck alt mode and dual cannons (from the Bay films). Also I would like to point out brilliant the transformation is. While the Arms Micron deluxe Ironhide relied on a fake chest, the Cyberverse version actually has the truck's windshield be the robot's chest. It is impressive to see great alt mode integration on a toy which has so much new details in robot mode. Remember when I spoke of an animated aesthetic? This toy's amalgamation (along with the deluxe) also references a shelved design for Animated Ironhide who was supposed to join Optimus Prime on earth and have an earth mode. That is a lot going on for such a little fella.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Animated Ironhide (Armorhide)

This is a near flawless toy. I find it absolutely brilliant how the cartoon made it that both Ironhide and Ratchet share the same basic mold (which has been the case since 1984) but since Ratchet is now on earth and has an earth vehicle mode, you end up with two visually different characters. The toys do that well. Sure, there is a Ratchet who shares the same mold as this toy but I love how Ironhide makes the mold his own (as he always has). The perfect toon accurate headsculpt really helps. The design of this toy is incredible since it was made after the stylistic cartoon character models were done and it imitates that style perfectly. Also, through this mold, you get one of the most creative designs for a cybertronian vehicle. I love how they were thinking outside the box for this one, giving it almost an animal look (like a tortoise) adding some sentience and otherworldly functionality to the vehicle mode. The weapon storage in vehicle mode is also perfectly executed with simplicity and helps fill out the look of the vehicle. It's a smart design that looks just like the cartoon and has great nods to the G1 character. Sounds like pure win in my book.

1. Transformers Masterpiece Ironhide

When was the last time we found a decent representation of G1 Ironhide in stores? Never. Look at this list, it's either animated, movie or a mix of both. But nothing even close to G1. No vans of any kind. And that's because there really hasn't been much aside from the forthcoming honourable mention. But we finally got Ironhide in all hi glory in this Masterpiece offering. I seriously do not care what nitpicks any fan may have, this toy is better than anything I could have dreamed. The Transformation is one of the best Takara ever designed and it is a true spectacle to see that van shape into this robot before your very eyes. I always thought that to have the look of the show, we would need a fake chest, no way around it. But I am proven wrong. The alt mode integration is spot on, no extraneous kibble (aside from some wheels, though they might anatomically represent something related to the bot mode, up to you) and more accessories than you would ever need. Plus, all those accessories come in that sled, bringing a magnificent homage to the G1 toy (along with other neat homages like that G1 face in can mode). I can't speak highly of this toy enough.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys

Honourable mentions: My lists usually always look at toys that were released at retail, especially since I care more for the toy itself and thus the mold as opposed to the character it represents. In this case though, the character it represents is a big deal and Ironhide is no stranger to redecos since that is what he started as. So I will include his Botcon 2005 Exclusive toy here, even though I am not a big fan of the mold itself. Fellow Seibertronian Sabrblade says it best:

Sabrblade wrote:It's still arguably the best Classics-style Ironhide toy there is in terms of resembling the character and [is] a good toy overall.

This article was last modified on Thursday, August 17th, 2017 9:13pm CDT

Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744598)
Posted by Starsaber468 on November 28th, 2015 @ 12:52pm CST
Cw Ironhide isn't the best but its a simple retool thats neat though a transformers customizer and youtuber Cho Cho made his cw Ironhide figure awesome
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744599)
Posted by ScottyP on November 28th, 2015 @ 1:06pm CST
Botcon 2005 Ironhide not here and the CW version is?
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744602)
Posted by william-james88 on November 28th, 2015 @ 1:21pm CST
ScottyP wrote:Botcon 2005 Ironhide not here and the CW version is?

Please share your list with us.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744607)
Posted by Evil Eye on November 28th, 2015 @ 1:48pm CST
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744610)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 28th, 2015 @ 1:56pm CST
Glad to see DOTM Leader Ironhide on here, and though I don't own the Energon Tow-Line mold, I concur with the notion of BotCon 2005 missing from here is a shame, as it's still arguably the best Classics-style Ironhide toy there is in terms of resembling the character and (from reviews and pics I've seen of the mold) being a good toy overall.

Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744617)
Posted by griftimus prime on November 28th, 2015 @ 2:43pm CST
no mention of the classics ironhide? best one in my opinion.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744618)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 28th, 2015 @ 2:44pm CST
griftimus prime wrote:no mention of the classics ironhide? best one in my opinion.
You mean Universe Ironhide? That mold is terrible.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744622)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on November 28th, 2015 @ 3:16pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:
You mean Universe Ironhide? That mold is terrible.

I disagree. I can SEE why people have that opinion; the panel lines in alt mode (doesn't bother me, much), and not being able to put his arms down at his side (that does bother me a little)... But the bot mode still looks good, I think, and that mold has one of the funnest transformations of any of the classicsverse figures -and that is the most important part for me.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744627)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on November 28th, 2015 @ 4:12pm CST
Delta Magnus wrote:Pretty good list! Though I find the lack of even an honourable mention for Energon Ironhide a bit of a shame. Sure, he doesn't look much like G1 Ironhide, and he was extremely annoying in the show, but the toy was pretty decent, colours and visible head aside (at least to the best of my knowledge, never actually owned it myself).

Well, as someone who does own it, it's a pretty bad figure. His head isn't just visible, it also has a giant electronic gimmick permanently attached to it. It really has more of a Fisher Price feel to it than a Transformers feel. It's not the worst figure ever (or even the worst Energon figure) but it's definitely not good overall either.

DecepticonFinishline wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
You mean Universe Ironhide? That mold is terrible.

Dude, even Universe Ironhide knows he's a bad toy, that's why he can only hang his head in shame. :-P
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744633)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on November 28th, 2015 @ 4:36pm CST

I own the green recolor of him, and I agree he's pretty underrated. Honestly, barring the visible head he's actually pretty good. Nice, beefy alternate mode, fun and easy transformation, beefy robot mode with good articulation and probably the best damned Powerlinx modes of Energon. And heck, he's got molded seats and a steering wheel in his cab! okay, it's not Alternators-level, but it's still good to see!

And hell, the visible head might be a minor blessing in disguise. People hear how 'horrible' it is, then they get the toy and realize other than that, he's a good toy.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744638)
Posted by Emerje on November 28th, 2015 @ 5:27pm CST
IMO Universe Ironhide > CW Ironhide. Universe Ironhide was an entirely new mold and tried to do something different. I love the complexity and the panel lines don't bother me. By no means is it perfect, but I like it. On the other hand I don't like the CW Ironhide much at all being a slight remold that vaguely resembles Ironhide. Plus it isn't even the best CW Ironhide it could have been, would have been much better using the First Aid mold.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744641)
Posted by fenrir72 on November 28th, 2015 @ 6:50pm CST

That's an adorable image of 'screamer and Windblade :x
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744644)
Posted by Ironhidensh on November 28th, 2015 @ 7:18pm CST
Ironhide has always been my favorite character, the problem has been a lack of decent toys. A problem that persists today. The movie lines had decent figures, but I don't really consider the movie character as "Ironhide". Outside of that, there hasn't really been a great toy. There have been decent ones, but not a great one.

Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744650)
Posted by OptimalOptimus2 on November 28th, 2015 @ 8:27pm CST
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744652)
Posted by Mkall on November 28th, 2015 @ 9:23pm CST
Botcon Ironhide was the bees knees
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744657)
Posted by william-james88 on November 28th, 2015 @ 10:57pm CST
Ironhidensh wrote:I guess I'd agree with your list, except I'd toss out CW (repaints don't count on my book) and replace it with the G1 original, which I have much nostalgic love for.

Thanks. As for repaints, it's hard not to count repaints when thinking of Ironhide or Ratchet. And the CW version isnt a repaint, he is a retool since he has a new head. In that regard, there is no difference between CW Ironhide and Animated Ironhide (which we all agree is a great toy and worthy of this list).

OptimalOptimus2 wrote:In my opinion, the 2007 Movie Ironhide is the best Ironhide toy there is. Sure he may be a little thinner than his film counterpart, but the overall design and detail matches perfectly. I should also mention that his vehicle mode is the most realistic of the Voyager toys. >:oP

The 2007 Iornhide mold is on this list; Recon Ironhide uses it but gives it a better head and a whole bunch of weapons :)
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744660)
Posted by ausbot on November 28th, 2015 @ 11:13pm CST
Personally I feel the arms micron is the best version, plus he becomes a target master.
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744662)
Posted by UltraPrimal on November 28th, 2015 @ 11:21pm CST
What? No love for Beast Wars Ironhide?
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744663)
Posted by Sabrblade on November 28th, 2015 @ 11:27pm CST
UltraPrimal wrote:What? No love for Beast Wars Ironhide?
That kibble-ridden mess of parts?

I like it too. :-P
Re: Top 5 Best Ironhide Transformers Toys Updated (1744666)
Posted by william-james88 on November 28th, 2015 @ 11:37pm CST
UltraPrimal wrote:What? No love for Beast Wars Ironhide?

NONE :twisted:

Oh and for the people asking about Energon Ironhide, I had the toy twice through buying lots and gave it away both times. I couldn't stand having it in my collection, the flaws are just too great and it has the laziest design I have ever seen on a TF with that head and giant speakers above the roof. The thing is an eyesore. It did make this list though: top-5-worst-cases-of-visible-head-syndrome-among-transformers-toys-t104938.php

Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #292 - Planet of Junk
"Planet of Junk"
Posted: Tuesday, January 18th, 2022

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise RID Sideswipe Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Stomp And Chomp 20" Grimlock Dinosaur Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Construct-Bots AOE Dinofire Grimlock & Optimus Prime NIB" on EBAY
Buy "2015 TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE 30TH PLATINUM EDITION ONE SHALL STAND ONE SHALL FALL" on EBAY
Buy "New Playskool Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Mr. Potato Head - Bumble Spud" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Roar and Rescue Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 15BB Buzzworthy Bumblebee Hasbro Studio Series Sealed/New In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Mr Potato Head Mini Mixable Mashable Transformers Hightide Loose Figure nice" on EBAY