Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far

Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far

Wednesday, January 6th, 2021 4:30am CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 57,941

Every month now, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys so Far

While anticipating the next Masterpiece Starscream, I just wanted to cover all the great toys that we got of him so far. This is one of the few characters that has been a mainstay through different eras, almost as much as Optimus Prime and Megatron (even more so than Bumblebee who was absent for the Unicron Trilogy). And since Takara's best designer is a fan of the character, he was always given some extra love in the design department, and as we're about to see, it shows.

5. Studio Series Starscream

Upscaling a toy might be an easy way to put "new" products on the shelves but it can also result in great toys, like Beast Hunters Voyager Predaking. And the result for this voyager Starscream is awesome! Even being familiar with the deluxe mold from Dark of the Moon, the bigger pieces made for a very fresh transforming experience. And it being an upscale did not feel in any way like it had less parts than it should. It felt complex enough for a voyager. I really appreciate the attention to detail like covering parts that used to show hollowness adding parts to beef out the sides, add detail to the sculpt and, best of all, use that now famed Takara MP Beast Wars technology for adding a digital textured deco layer all across the alt mode. Really cool. The tatooed redeco for the Revenge of the Fallen version is just as good.

4. Transformers Prime: First Edition Starscream

This is one of the best seeker molds of all time. The design choice to have the robot mode be so slim and sleek makes him look creepier than any version of Starscream before. I am so impressed with how they were able to pull off a robot mode as skeletal as the one depicted onscreen and yet still have him perfectly transform into a tight and smooth jet mode where no robot limb protrudes, as is often the case with jets.

3. Transformers Cybertron Starscream

It is really too bad that the voyager Starscream toy in his show colours was never released by Hasbro, but at least fans got to experience this excellent mold in other colours, such as a very Thrust like burgundy and in blue with Dirge. And yes, even with the Siege mold out there, this is the better looking Cybertronian mode we've ever gotten for Starscream.

2. Transformers Hunt For The Decepticons Leader Starscream and MPM-10 Starsceam

These two toys are both great and achieve the same purpose so what I saw for one is almost the same as I'd say for the other. They are relentlessly detailed and screen accurate (obviously, the MPM more so). There are many separate pieces which shift in perspective by being moving from the background to foreground while transforming him to the point where it really feels like there is a robot inside the jet made up of all the jet parts and you uncover him through the transformation. Both of these toys show us what perfection is in a different way. With the Leader class one, we have a much cleaner jet mode and a satisfying while intuitive transformation but the robot mode is not as detailed. With the MPM one we have the most perfect robot mode we will ever get for the movie Starscream design. However, it is far more fiddly and the jet mode, while still looking sharp, does have an undercarriage which looks more out of place. So these toys tell us that while you can't have absolute perfection, you can still have two incredible toys.

1. Transformers War for Cybertron: Earthrise Starscream

I have made lists for seekers and jets in the past and while I always included the classics mold, I did always wish it was bigger. I loved the look of it though, as well as the simple yet smart transformation. It seems Hasbro was thinking the same thing, and now I realize there is a trend in good Starscream toys being the result of upscaling a good deluxe toy. With this toy, we have what I would call our definitive Starscream for a classics scale. Plus with this being the same scale and overall aesthetic as the Siege tetra jet, you can form a really awesome armada of seekers varying in designs and colour with Starscream in the lead.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far

Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091759)
Posted by ausbot on January 6th, 2021 @ 6:22am CST
Still love armada and classics
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091760)
Posted by PerfectVision on January 6th, 2021 @ 6:42am CST
I have the voyager PRIME as a plane,he's more colorful than on screen which is good.

The movie version is horrible.

The one from GALAXY FORCE has a penis-cockpit and can't look on his sides.Only a beefy vehicule and i'm not sure it's a credible one.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091761)
Posted by angtre on January 6th, 2021 @ 6:50am CST

Still this list does bring me a little smile upon my face, since today is Epiphany, and the original Seekers would make some really fine Three Wise Men - take note for next year, maybe!
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091763)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on January 6th, 2021 @ 7:20am CST

I do like the ER mold, though. Mainly since it's so close to the Classics mold which really nailed the look.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091767)
Posted by EvasionModeBumblebee on January 6th, 2021 @ 7:56am CST
Thanks for the list, I really enjoyed reading it!

All my Starscreams are movieverse (the exception being POTP Starscream, which is the worst), so I’m glad to see SS and MPM/HFTD on here.

Even though I pretty much stick to just movie stuff, I gotta say ER Starscream looks good. That jet mode is really clean!
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091770)
Posted by william-james88 on January 6th, 2021 @ 8:12am CST
Gauntlet101010 wrote:Yeah, there's been so many Screamers that this list could easily be much longer to cover more. I'm kinda surprised neither MP is on the list.

The list does have an MP Starscream and it's the best one.

angtre wrote:Comparing toys cross-franchise makes little sense, sorry. Next time, I'd just focus on how well a specific version of a character - be it the G1 original, Movieverse or another - got translated into toys.

Couldn't think of 5 good movie Starscream toys so I preferred just writing a list where all toys were the ones I considered best.

EvasionModeBumblebee wrote:Thanks for the list, I really enjoyed reading it!

Happy to hear, thanks for reading it!
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091772)
Posted by blackeyedprime on January 6th, 2021 @ 8:41am CST
MPM starscream doesnt even have all of its alt mode with the jet thrusters missing. I'd have left out pretty much all the Baynus starscreams but even if not, MPM would be much lower than the others just because of that.

mine, but no real order

TF collection, it's the G1 figure with a yellow cockpit sometimes the smallest of changes are the best and it includes megatron in gun mode allowing the 80's toy to finally capture the cartoon moments.

Prime starscream, I'm not sure which edition I have but I'm doubting its the first edition and it still looks great.

Animated Starscream, the Prime figure might capture his creepyness but animated captures him being a jerk just as well.

Starscream and BB, even if the G1 MP was designed by Shoji of Macross fame this feels like a homage to Mospeadas Alpha/Beta fighters. BB kind of sucks as a name though so I can kinda think of it as an early Lugnut.

Armada starscream was really good even if it deviated from starscreams typical colors it could have been way worse, say a tan color and looking gorrillaesque..

some oddities that I like:
Pretender starscream might not be what the human form of starscream comes to mind but he kinda has a visionaries look to him.
Alternity starscream, he should never be a car but he pulls it off pretty well and still has more g1 traits than...okay wont go there for a second time.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091774)
Posted by TF-fan kev777 on January 6th, 2021 @ 9:02am CST

Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091775)
Posted by TulioDude on January 6th, 2021 @ 9:07am CST
Great job william!I agree with your choices!

You are gonna to have to update the list when Masterpiece Armada Starscream is released.

Day 372 of waiting for Transformers Armada Masterpiece news.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091776)
Posted by blackeyedprime on January 6th, 2021 @ 9:23am CST
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091778)
Posted by Evil Eye on January 6th, 2021 @ 9:45am CST
Good list! And nice to see the Voyager GF Starscream get a mention, that thing is such a nice Starscream design. I still kind of want to buy that one 3P remake of the design.

A few I'd be tempted to mention (not as contenders but just as runners-up) would be:
>Energon Starscream: I absolutely love the way this thing looks, looking like an undead, revenant Starscream held together by Unicronic energy and sheer force of will. He's pretty poseable and has some cool weapons too.
>Titanium Starscream: Whilst not a good figure by any stretch of the imagination, I do love his alt mode. It's a really elegant take on a redesign of the Tetrajet and I'd love a decent figure of the design some day.
>MP-03 (AKA Greenscream): The best jet mode in Transformers history, bar none.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091813)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 6th, 2021 @ 12:16pm CST
Decent list, but I have many disagreements on this list.

For one thing, ER Starscream should be much lower. It is not even remotely the best Starscream figure out there. The exclusion of the Siege Seeker mold also feels like wrong.

My list would go:

5) Beast Wars II Hellscream - OK, this one might be a bit of a stretch, but considering Hellscream is an upgrade and beast-ified Starscream, he counts. Having a shark Starscream is so cool, especially when it's a cyborg shark. It's a fun mold, and it's extra creepy with this tooling and works nicely.
4) Prime Beast Hunters Starscream - I did not get any of the other Prime Starscreams, but I love this one. It's sort of simple, but still stands as a great Starscream and a great representation of the show character. It's a fun figure and should not be so easily discounted.
3) Siege Starscream: I was very down on this mold when it was revealed, but it is super good. The posability is absolutely bananas on this guy, and he can move every which way you might want him to. He is great, and easily better than other generations Starscreams.
2) SS Starscream: This figure has a nice presence to it for its size class, and has a lot of great stuff to do with the superb arms. Transformation is fun, and the jet mode is pretty clean. It's a great figure, really fun to have.
1) RotF Leader - This is the be all end all molds of Starscreams. It is really fun to play with in either modes, has electronics, is really posable, has heft to it, a very clean jet mode, integrated arm weapons, it's a glorious piece. This is THE Starscream figure.

Honorable mentions:

MPM-10 is really fun to transform, but with his limited and limp arms I could not give him a top 5 spot.

Cybertron Supreme is pretty nice and I like transforming it, but it still leaves some things to be desired with posing and how the jet mode functions. And the fact that he is massive.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091838)
Posted by william-james88 on January 6th, 2021 @ 1:53pm CST
blackeyedprime wrote:It might be possible now to do a top five Barricade toys and the G1 toy would not be in it -though I think first release with Frenzy or the one with the torture apparatus would win it for me, even this many years on.

It is ! And no the G1 toy wouldn't be in it, but not because I don't think it should count but because it's not that great a toy, compared to the other Barricades out there.

Evil Eye wrote:If I had one singular complaint it's that I'd probably swap out the ER Starscream for Siege. Even as a massive jet nerd, ER Screamer's (admittedly gorgeous) F-15 mode can't really make up for the fact he's basically an inflated Classics Seeker, complete with odd proportions, no waist swivel and hollow sides. The Siege Seeker meanwhile has an absolutely stellar (no pun intended) robot mode, an interesting transformation and honestly a really nice altmode. Like I've never much cared for the G1 Tetrajet design but this figure made me like it. I can even forgive the legs underneath as they look like booster modules more than just folded up robot legs. But that's just me anyway.

I was debating on Siege Starscream but in the end I went with my gut and put what I preferred which is ER Starscream. Yes, it's an inflated Classics seeker, 100%. But I am ok with that and I like it. Same with the voyager Studio Series Screamer, which is also an inflated deluxe. But in both cases, I feel it works and with deluxes and voyagers being similarly complex these days, I don't see any reason it should go against either of them. The deluxe was praised for years, by me and others, with our main complaint that we needed a voyager Starscream. And now we have a proper voyager, using a mold we all love as inspiration. I see it as a win.
Back to Siege Starscream, my main issue with that toy is that I just don't like it as a Transformer toy nor as a tetrajet. It's missing the top of the jet to get that cool sci fi feel that we got in the first g1 episode. And while I know it's 100% intentional, I really dislike the way it functions as a Transformers toy with almost 0 vehicle integration in robot mode and fake kibble galore. So with a rather weak transformation, lackluster alt mode (with lots of bot kibble) and a robot mode that while nice feels very disconnected to its alt mode, I just don't recomend it as much.

D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Decent list, but I have many disagreements on this list.

Our lists are not so dissimilar after all and I really love your number 1. I am really surprised at your Beast Hunters Starscream pick though. That toy is way down the list for me (same with the animated voyager). Did you ever get to experience the First Edition mold?

Thanks all for the feedback. From what I gather (from here and especially on our Social media where this article was posted), what people have the biggest problem with is the inclusion of the movie toys on this list. And I find that just too bad. They don't even argue that they are good toys or not, just that they don't belong and that makes no sense. Like it or not, the Bayverse happened and Bayverse Starscream happened. He is as rightful a part of the Transformers franchise as any other interpretation of Starscream we have ever gotten and unlike a lot of characters that are in the films in just name only, he actually retains his G1 role (as much as Megatron and Optimus do). I guess I am just surprised the bay hate is still out there, ready to pounce whenever possible. I choose to welcome all aspects of my beloved Transformers brand and experience all these wonderful toys.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091839)
Posted by angtre on January 6th, 2021 @ 1:55pm CST
TF-fan kev777 wrote:Making a top 5 list where you are forced to include meh or downright crappy toys because you limited yourself to only G1 or only movieverse figures also makes little sense as well.

I don't think that the likes of Starscream lack quality toys to compare, especially his G1 counterpart. Still I simply fail to see the point of this specific list, since each franchise has a radically different design - it's like comparing different characters altogether. And if you lack toys for a given franchise, there's no point doing a ranking for that.

Not that coming out with different reasons to make a ranking on an almost weekly base is easy, that I am very well aware of. I simply didn't appreciate this one to the fullest, and as such I tried to give my opinion and advice.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091843)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on January 6th, 2021 @ 2:08pm CST
william-james88 wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Decent list, but I have many disagreements on this list.

I didn't no. I didn't handle the voyager either. I only ever got the Beast Hunters deluxe. I relived that toy during my Den redo over the past week, and it, Dreadwing, and Sharkticon Megatron are still 3 Beast Hunter era toys that are really fun and really cool.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091850)
Posted by william-james88 on January 6th, 2021 @ 2:57pm CST
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Decent list, but I have many disagreements on this list.

Oh man I love those two. especially that Sharkticon Megatron. I think that's the best version of that mold, in terms of a toy.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091851)
Posted by PerfectVision on January 6th, 2021 @ 2:59pm CST
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Decent list, but I have many disagreements on this list.

Some consider him to be the worst BH,i agree kinda.He has special colors at least.I'm okay with the jet without the weapon.
They have reused the same yellow from Dread and Sound,a strange lack of variety in the decos.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091855)
Posted by william-james88 on January 6th, 2021 @ 3:14pm CST
PerfectVision wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Decent list, but I have many disagreements on this list.

I just really dislike how unimaginative the toy is in its transformation (especially when compared to the first edition) and that wierd antenna that lingers in robot mode.
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091861)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on January 6th, 2021 @ 4:06pm CST
This may be the hardest list to ever make.

No matter how much I think about this, I agree with all of these but I'd make a top 10 instead of a top 5. The Classic seeker mold is as great as the recent ones and the FoC deluxe is a neat little guy too.

ARGH! There's so much to choose! :michaelbay:
Re: Top 5 Best Starscream Transformers Toys So Far (2091862)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on January 6th, 2021 @ 4:08pm CST
Is there enough to make a top 5 movie Starscream list? He has a lot of toys, but are there enough good unique molds for that?

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #292 - Planet of Junk
"Planet of Junk"
Posted: Tuesday, January 18th, 2022

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise RID Sideswipe Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Stomp And Chomp 20" Grimlock Dinosaur Toy" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Construct-Bots AOE Dinofire Grimlock & Optimus Prime NIB" on EBAY
Buy "2015 TRANSFORMERS THE MOVIE 30TH PLATINUM EDITION ONE SHALL STAND ONE SHALL FALL" on EBAY
Buy "New Playskool Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Mr. Potato Head - Bumble Spud" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Roar and Rescue Bumblebee Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 15BB Buzzworthy Bumblebee Hasbro Studio Series Sealed/New In Box" on EBAY
Buy "Mr Potato Head Mini Mixable Mashable Transformers Hightide Loose Figure nice" on EBAY