Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys

Friday, August 9th, 2019 11:18PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 16,920

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by your fellow editor or a guest writer. These are our opinions so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys

This is the line that saw the advancements in articulation and complexity of the Beast Era and went "na, were good, lets go back to late G1 articulation with poor proportions and obtrusive gimmicks". And then the same thing happened again 15 years later for the Cyberverse line. You see, Transformers are cyclical that way. But it's not to say there isn't a lot to love in Armada and this list will go through some toys that I feel anyone should have in their collection as a keepsake of this era. Plus with all the hubub over the new Unicron, it was fun to revisit the line that gave us our first Unicron toy.

5. Transformers Armada Demolishor (Iron Hide)

I like this toy all around. The mobile missile launcher alt mode looks good and works well. I especially like how the robot fingers double as rocket launchers. The minicon integration is also nice as it fills in the alt mode. And we get a very original looking robot mode out of it with a cool headsculpt.

Transformers News: Top 5  Best Transformers Armada Toys

4. Transformers Armada Sideways (Double Face)

Ths toy is all about the playability aspect. It incorporated the duality gimmick of previous Transformers, like Punch/Counterpunch and the headmaster gimmick by combining both into one. Like that Sideways gets a different head depending on his allegiance. He also happens to have a nice looking bot mode and a great looking motorcycle which the headmaster unit can ride.

3. Transformers Armada Megatron

Speaking of playability, the Megatron in this line was like his own playset with lots of action features and ports for minicons, including ramps, trap doors and hidden areas. Plus he has a hidden blade/shiv if ever he has to get extra nasty. Of course he isn't without firepower with a fun himage to the G1 ty by having a massive cannon under his arm pit. I love the facesculpt too with the giant horns that act as shears in tank mode, just to add to its ferocity.

Transformers News: Top 5  Best Transformers Armada Toys

2. Transformers Armada Tidal Wave (Shockwave)

Armada was all about the gimmicks and while some did not turn out great, they really knocked it out of the park with this one. This toy is one for the ages with three seperate vehicles, all with their own individual gimmicks (like a fold out seating area, or an elevator) that combine into a massive ship which then transforms into a giant robot. I really love all about this toy and I feel any fan is missing out by not experiencing this mold. There is nothing else wuite like it out there.

1. Transformers Armada Unicron

I think everyone saw it coming. With Tidal Wave at number 2, the only bot that could beat it would be none other than Unicron. Unicron at the time was a dream come true. Not only was it a great representation for the main villain of the Armada series but it was finally a transforming toy of the villain from the 86 film, which may fans longed for. I love how it serves this dual purpose. I think what I find smartest of all in its design is the rings the turn into the wings. I am really impressed at how they did manage to give us a planet-like alt mode and a well proportioned bot even if there is some shellforming involved. Due to its popularity, this mold keeps being released over and over so anyone wanting it can get it with ease.

Honouable Mentions:

Destruction Mini-Con Team

A big part of Armada were the minicons and the special ports can still be found on certain toys released a decade later. The mincons I liked best were the ones that had an extra action gimmick. They were already simpler toys with odd proportions so adding an action feature didn't hinder anything that wasn't there already. And of those, I liked the Destruction Mini-Con Team best due to the irony of these massive alt modes being rserved to tiny bots. I mean you have a Gepard anti-aircraft tank, a tunneling machine and a kreaken bucket-wheel excavator. The bucket-wheel spins and so does the drill. Plus, the bucket-wheel excavator can be attached under Armada Cyclonus and interact with its gear-wheel rotor system.

Transformers Armada Drill Bit (Crash) Gallery

Transformers Armada Buzzsaw (Wheel) Gallery

Transformers Armada Dualor (Duster) Gallery
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033972)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 9th, 2019 @ 11:25pm CDT
Was honestly expecting to see either A) Unicron excluded since he's the obvious automatic #1, or B) Jetfire somewhere on this list.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033974)
Posted by Decepticon Stryker on August 9th, 2019 @ 11:45pm CDT
Wow, this is the first list where I own a version of all these molds.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033975)
Posted by Stargrave on August 10th, 2019 @ 12:02am CDT
Wow, I can still remember Demolishor being one of the first I saw I stores along with Cyclonus.
I still to this day regret my own stubbornness for not embracing the line more because I missed out
On Tidal Wave and Megatron and I think of those as staples of this series. And Sideways is always around our house to this day I mean a poseable double headmaster on a motorcycle, uh, so rad? Yes? :lol:

I love these - great list thank you sir!
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033976)
Posted by Optimutt on August 10th, 2019 @ 12:10am CDT
Excellent list!

Overall, Armada was a disappointment. After getting cars/vehicles again in RiD 2001, I was so looking forward to something amazing. The lack of articulation of many bots, the funky proportions, and... let's face it... the cartoon - all of these contributed to a by-and-large dislike of the line.

That said, I really did enjoy the Minicons. The street patrol, with Highwire, Grindor, and Sureshock, especially got me in all the right ways.

And then came Unicron. Damn. So deserving of that Number 1 spot. I had the original Armada one, but traded him in for the version in that excellent G1 movie recreation - the Hasbro Movie version. It really is an amazing toy that is overflowing with gimmicks, details, and bonus electronics.

Great list.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033981)
Posted by bacem on August 10th, 2019 @ 12:33am CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033984)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on August 10th, 2019 @ 12:48am CDT
Eh, I didn't think Sideways was all that. He's definitely not top 5. Mine:

5. Demolishor
4. Cyclonus
3. Unicron
2. Jetfire
1. Tidal Wave

Honorable mention: deluxe Optimus Prime
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033986)
Posted by Madeus Prime on August 10th, 2019 @ 12:55am CDT
I am a bit disappointed by the lack of bendy Prime on this list :(
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033988)
Posted by leokearon on August 10th, 2019 @ 1:49am CDT
Sad that Wheeljack didn't get on the list.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033993)
Posted by Rainmaker on August 10th, 2019 @ 3:45am CDT
Is this the first list where the figure in the thumbnail is actually on the list?

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033997)
Posted by Windsweeper on August 10th, 2019 @ 5:20am CDT
Interesting article as always though I have to respectfully disagree. Starscream/Thundercracker should definitely be on this list, same for Bendy Prime and Hoist.

Starscream still holds up today. His only flaw is not being able to turn his head. The Armada and Cybertron Seekers nicely bulk up the ranks of the Siege Seekers.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2033998)
Posted by Black Hat on August 10th, 2019 @ 6:01am CDT
Excellent list! Armada is such an underrated line- sure, the toys aren't the most poseable but the actual robot designs are universally great (even if they didn't transfer that well to plastic) and a lot of them are really fun. Also great to see Demolishor getting some love, a decent Generations update for him is something I still want.

I'm in wholehearted agreement with the list, but a few honourable mentions for me at least would be:
>"Bendy" Prime, whose poseablity is still top shelf to this day.
>Jetfire, who in spite of his intrusive (but awesome) gimmick still managed to be a really, really cool looking robot with an awesome shuttle mode with some great play features.
>Starscream, just for that smirk- THE best Starscream headsculpt in history IMO.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034001)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 10th, 2019 @ 6:40am CDT
Here's a list that I can get behind at 100%. I'm surprised Demolishor made the list. For me, he's a great character in the show and his toy, despite being cheap and common, simply rock and is a lot of fun. I thought I was the only one to like it.

The only ones that can be interchangeable in the list are Sideways and Megatron. Both are super fun and great looking equally.

Tidal Wave. Man, this toy is awesome. His only glaring flaw are some articulation points missing that they could have implemented. But other than that, he's awesome.

As for Unicron, he's so perfect! I don't really care that his planet mode is not perfectly round. He's still incredible and the Amazon version is good enough for being the "G1" version. Anyone lucky enough to have the Throne of Chaos to go with the planet mode? I ordered and got mine just in time way back then.

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034016)
Posted by YRQRM0 on August 10th, 2019 @ 9:33am CDT
Oh man, great picks but there's a lot missing in the shout-outs. Both bendy Prime and Leader Prime are great - Leader because his base mode is so much fun to set up and put mini-cons all over.

I would have had Jetfire on there, too. He's one of the more poseable ones and his vehicle mode is super solid (and the hatch on top is fun), plus he manages to become a decent pair of legs for Prime.

Finally, I would have mentioned more mini-cons, particularly the requiem blaster, and the set that turns into individual weapons (the police car that turns into a gun is one of my all-time favorite).
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034017)
Posted by Vic Zanzibar on August 10th, 2019 @ 9:37am CDT
Unicron seems so ahead of his time. With engineering that well executed, he feels like he should have actually released a few years later in Cybertron or Classics. I’m gonna echo some others here and shout out the Hoist mold. Good size, surprisingly well-articulated, and a well-integrated gimmick. I have the Universe Ransack repaint as well as possibly my favorite obscure homage ever; Cybertron Longrack. What a perfect use of the mold.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034018)
Posted by ScottyP on August 10th, 2019 @ 9:43am CDT
bacem wrote:while i don't disagree with this list, i feel like the deluxe optimus prime (bendy) deserve a spot there, maybe replacing demolishor, and starscream replacing sideways, or gets honorable mention, at least.
Bendy Prime is probably the best Deluxe in the line. Sideways is ambitious and Rook/Crosswise are fun but the execution of the bot mode leaves a little to be desired.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034024)
Posted by Stargrave on August 10th, 2019 @ 12:02pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:

Help me out gang was bendy Prime the deluxe that came out later? Now that couldn’t combine with the trailer but had added articulation right? And it came with that Leader-1-ish Minicon I think. And then I think that was the one that got reused several times after like repaints and Nemesis versions. Am I thinking of the right bot?
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034032)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on August 10th, 2019 @ 12:31pm CDT
Stargrave wrote:
ScottyP wrote:

Yup. That's the one. He was also remolded for the Cybertron line, the minicon gimmick replaced with a cyber key.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034037)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on August 10th, 2019 @ 1:53pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Stargrave wrote:
ScottyP wrote:

Not quite on the retooling bit. The toy itself was unaltered, but the key had a Mini-Con port added. Same with the Demolishor re-release.

Transformers Cybertron Optimus Prime Gallery

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034040)
Posted by Sabrblade on August 10th, 2019 @ 2:04pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:The toys that did have the gimmick retooled were Blurr, Hoist, Side Swipe and Cyclonus, into Blurr, Longrack, Runabout/Runamuck and Buzzsaw. :) That should say something about those molds, right? :???:
Not to mention that those four retools were Takara initiatives while the Optimus and Demolishor redecos were Hasbro initiatives.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Armada Toys (2034042)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on August 10th, 2019 @ 2:11pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

Last-minute additions I should say. Too bad their Mini-Cons weren't redecoed, unlike the Takara 4 that ended up in Micron Boosters. I still need one for my "Roller" :lol:

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #228 - Afterthoughts
"Afterthoughts"
Posted: Monday, August 12th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Hero Mashers Autobot Drift Figure. Hasbro. Shipping Included" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage 1984 G1 Transformers Autobot  WHEELIE  Nice Condition  Complete" on EBAY
Buy "1985 Hasbro Takara Transformers Original G1 Mixmaster Constructicon Devastator" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Advanced AD-11 DISPENSOR Takara MISB New Rare!" on EBAY
Buy "(P) TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC DELUXE AUTOBOT MIRAGE" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Junkheap Battle Axe WEAPON ONLY" on EBAY
Buy "Mcdonalds Transformers Strongarm Action Figure Happy Meal Toy Hasbro 2016 4"" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS~WAR FOR CYBERTRON~VOYAGER DECEPTICON MEGATRON~BRAND NEW" on EBAY