Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes

Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 11:25AM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 63,565

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Alt Modes (Air Vehicles)

As we previously witnessed, cybertronian alt modes can be a very lazy excuse for a subpar alt mode that looks like a mishmash of robot parts. To counter that, I wanted to showcase the amazing designs that Takara and Hasbro came up with when exploring the cybertronian aesthetic and how an amazing cybertronian alt mode could result in an equally impressive robot mode. After all, these are the default looks of these characters on their home planet by definition, so it's interesting to see when designers go all out to give the best representation of said character. Since there are so many great toys out there, I divided this between land vehicle alt modes, which we discussed last time, and this week's list which focuses on cybertronian air vehicle alt modes.

5. Transformers Energon Megatron

While Megatron has turned into cybertronian spaceships quite a few times to the point where it is now one of his staple alt modes, next to a tank and gun, this was the very first time he had one and the best so far. It is such a departure for the character. I love how utterly alien it is, like an 80s Lego Spaceship (SPACESHIPS!) set, especially with the wings split open, which is also reminiscent of the X-Wing. I also love how massive and chunky this toy is in robot mode which plays a nice contrast to the sleek and narrow nosecone while preserving the impression of Megatron’s power. The homages to Galvatron are outstanding and have been brought up in another list. They even have a purple redeco which is one of the most faithful and best Galvatron toy made so far.

4. Transformers Cybertron Sideways (Galaxy Force Noise Maze)

This guy’s design is literally out of this world. That robot mode looks like nothing Hasbro/Takara has ever done or will ever do; he’s like a demonic Gundam figure from hell. He is also an amazing example at showing how you can make a cool looking spaceship which integrates its entire alt mode into the robot, and his alt mode doesn’t look like a jet on a robot’s back. The way the abdomen transforms is unique and he accomplishes a long tried gimmick of having wings become swords. What I like best about him is how his robot and alt mode depend on one another to function and yet both have their own unique accomplished look.

3. Transformers Cybertron Vector Prime

While the robot mode is really great and gives him the appearance of a wise and powerful wizard, the alt mode is simply a knockout. This toy was initially supposed to be based on the Star Wars Sith Infiltrator but that was just a starting point and the design evolved over time to give us this magnificent ship. There are a few other possible homages maybe at play with this ship. I spot tiny similarities between him and the “Last Autobot” from Marvel’s G1 comics, which was also a guardian appointed by Primus. I also love how this alt mode is just covered in intricate sculpting. There are piles and piles of gears interconnected all over the surface of the vehicle. These are joined by a series of curved and intricate cut lines that look like the mysterious characters found on Beast Machines Optimus Primal's chest (from the RID line). All these details help sell Vector Prime's ancient appearance and link with Primus. These details also look like a clock’s gears which refer to both his age and his position as guardian of time. Aside from all this beauty, he also has the best and least intrusive minicon integration, along with brilliant weapon storage (more on that in another list) and a quick but fun transformation. At this point, ranking these picks from 1-3 was almost arbitrary since he is a superb transformer toy and has a cybertronian vehicle mode which is really hard to beat.

2. Transformers Universe - Classics 2.0 Cyclonus

This toy is so slick. It accomplishes the sleek robot mode and cybertronian jet mode with minimal kibble present in either. It is usually hard to engineer a nosecone out of a robot mode which is why it is usually part of the robot mode design or brought to the back, as is the case with Energon Megatron. However, for this toy, the engineers were clever enough to have the nosecone fold into the robot chest as well as an extra telescoping mechanism. You end up with a toy that looks like Cyclonus just jumped right out of a G1 episode and onto your desk.

1. Transformers Galaxy Force Starscream

This is such a smart and stellar cybertronian alt mode that I just could not place it any lower than number 1. The vehicle mode is a great homage to both the cybertronian tetra-jet of G1 and Don Figueroa's design for Generation 1 Starscream in Dreamwave's The War Within, while being it’s own unique design at the same time. I even feel it has a semblance to the Star Wars Star Destroyer due to how it is more flat than the two other source points, and that look is power incarnate. What I love so much about this toy is how both the vehicle and robot mode share the same cybertronian body and yet look totally accomplished and unique from one another. This results in a very simple transformation that yields amazing results. There is no jet on top of the robot, the robot IS the Jet. While his vehicle mode evokes power, that same notion is incorporated in the robot mode giving him a very regal appearance with a lot of bulk, especially around the shoulder area. Of all the bodies Starscream has had, this is one where I could totally see take Megatron head on and lead the Decepticons. He also has the least bothering exposed head which is not conspicuous or evident and works well with the highly detailed alt mode, as well as an equally unobtrusive cyberkey gimmick which gives him energon swords which always flip out unobstructed. It’s too bad the initial version of this toy never made it outside Japan, but luckily Hasbro saw the potential of this mold and used it for a few other decos, making it a phenomenal seeker mold. I wish they didn’t stop at just Dirge though.

Honorable Mentions: The main one I struggled to keep on the list was Beast Machines Jetstorm.

Transformers Beast Machines Jetstorm Gallery

The Transformers era with the most of these cybertronian air vehicles would have to be G1 and while that is for a very specific audience (and another list), I cannot help but find some designs just outright amazing. The one I would like to point out is Scattershot. He shares a lot of the same points Energon Megatron had. I love how his alt mode has a central cannon that is principle to that mode and distracts from any robot kibble one might notice (like the legs). The fact that the cannon can open up and serve as a cannon for a battle station mode all while this toy is also a torso for a scramble city combiner is just gravy.

Transformers G1 1987 Scattershot Gallery
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777264)
Posted by Black Hat on April 2nd, 2016 @ 11:33am CDT
Superb list! I must be honest, if it were less expensive I'd buy the Takara version of Energon Galvatron as my Classics Galvatron. It's just a great looking toy. And if he had better arms (and if there were Thundercracker and Skywarp decos available) I'd buy that Voyager Cybertron Starscream in a heartbeat. Great silhouette and a wonderful update on the "tetrajet" design. I wish someone would have another go at a tetrajet- the FOC design (official or the upcoming Planet X figures) is almost but not quite there, the Cybertron figure suffers from the arms, the Titanium mold also has somewhat gimpy arms and suffers from the poorly implemented metal content (which is a shame as I love the design) and the Impossible Toys version, whilst stellar in vehicle mode, is otherwise a complete and total mess.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777270)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on April 2nd, 2016 @ 11:58am CDT
Great list Will! I was a bit disappointed when I saw the cover photo cause I know that one is only ever an honorable mention and G1 Scattershot looks amazing. But those guys do look awesome, and you're right about full on robot to alt mode integration. They all look awesome! :MAXIMAL:
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777276)
Posted by ScottyP on April 2nd, 2016 @ 12:18pm CDT
Nice list. I like the G1 Cyclonus toy's alt mode more than the Classics version. Always thought they nailed it back in '86 on the jet, then the Universe one nailed the robot mode.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777280)
Posted by shajaki on April 2nd, 2016 @ 12:39pm CDT

Here's my two favs :x

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777288)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 2nd, 2016 @ 1:17pm CDT
This proves once again how amazing and incredible the Cybertron/Galaxy Force line was. One of the best (if not the best) main TF line ever.

You forgot to point out that the Energon Megatron and Galaxy Force Starscream shown were the voyager versions. I never owned the voyager Energon Megatron, but I do own the Leader and he's amazing. As for Starscream, the Supreme one in amazing, but it don't change much from the voyager, which make the voyager the superior version. I got the very, very expensive Shattered Glass version (Jetfire hommage FTW!). I also own the regular voyager Starscream in his normal burgundy colors. That toy DID came to the USA in a two-pack with... Vector Prime!

Speaking of Vector Prime, I got the Universe version. Nice black and bronze colors, but the fact that the electronics were removed make the included cyber key pointless. Nice toy, but I hate the fact that half his altmode is a backpack in bot mode. Instead of him and because Cybertron hog too much of the list, I'd change him for... Energon Sharkticon. Yes, once again, Unicron Trilogy know their spaceships! And yes, Sharkticon put a big part of his altmode on his back. The difference is part of the backpack is used as the weapons gimmick. Also, the spaceship would be a MASSIVE beast, like a destroyer ship in space. Ignore the deluxe scale and look at the details. It's amazing and fun to fiddle with. I got both the regular and Botcon version (I have a spare Botcon Sharticon, if anyone is interested).

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777294)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 2nd, 2016 @ 2:13pm CDT
Great list will! ;)^ don't own many of them unlike the other list but I'm glad energon megs is on there. Such a fun toy.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777298)
Posted by kurthy on April 2nd, 2016 @ 2:40pm CDT
Well, Classics Cyclonus definitely fits the list of a great toy (with a cybertronian alt mode), but the alt mode is rather lacking. Significant sacrifices were made for a great robot mode.

And I really don't care for Vector Prime (especially the universe version, which I have). The large nosecone becomes a backpack. He lays down and folds his legs up to his ears.

Jetstorm and G1 scattershot were much better. I found mine in my mom's basement the other day and my son had to take it home with us, broken spring, discolored, and all.

I like generations brainstorm despite being a simple transformation but he wouldn't make my top 5.

Where's Star Saber?
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777310)
Posted by ScottyP on April 2nd, 2016 @ 3:08pm CDT
shajaki wrote:Great list Will. I love all those figures. It's just so damn sad that HasTak didn't cash in on the multicolored rainbow of that GF/Cyb Seeker mold :(
Well, we got half of them at the voyager scale. Starscream, Dirge, and the Hasbro Voyager Cybertron Starscream is Thrust colored.

The Legends scale gives some painful "what if" thoughts:

Transformers Cybertron Sunstorm Gallery

kurthy wrote:Where's Star Saber?
Saber? Yes, fantastic alt mode. The big hoss combined mode with the V-star? Eh, it is super neat but I think a lot of the examples here outshine it.

One I did forget to mention before is Big Powered. It's like the Transformers version of an Imperial Star Destroyer and it is amazing:

Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777312)
Posted by Rainmaker on April 2nd, 2016 @ 3:10pm CDT
I wish I had a Cybertron Starscream, such an amazing toy.

Also, yes, Star Saber?

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777325)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on April 2nd, 2016 @ 3:30pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777331)
Posted by william-james88 on April 2nd, 2016 @ 3:55pm CDT
Thanks for all the comments! And Scotty P, that is one cool TF you've introduced us to. And it is cooler than Star Sabre who's full alt mode isnt sleek at all in comparison (and has a pretty glaring lack of integration with that helmet).

-Kanrabat- wrote:

Not really. If you check, you will see that both Megatrons are pictured, one pic is the leader and the other is the voyager.

Plus for starscream, there is no need for distinction since there is only one galaxy force Starscream ;)
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777336)
Posted by william-james88 on April 2nd, 2016 @ 4:09pm CDT
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Very nice list.Although like Kanrabat,I would've included Energon Sharkticon. I love that alt. mode. :D

His time of glory is coming soon. Lets just say that I thought "air" wasn't the best element that defined him ;)
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777347)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 2nd, 2016 @ 4:25pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

OOOOooohhhhhh................. 8-)

So, imma expect some Armada Tidalwave love soon? ;)
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777349)
Posted by Cobotron on April 2nd, 2016 @ 4:26pm CDT
Isn't Sharkticon's alt mode a submarine? :-?

Anyway, Good list! Love that Megatron toy, and Vector Prime.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777350)
Posted by Rainmaker on April 2nd, 2016 @ 4:28pm CDT
I just noticed that 75% of this list is the Unicron Trilogy

I say that's a flaw with this list.

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777353)
Posted by william-james88 on April 2nd, 2016 @ 4:42pm CDT
[BW] Rainmaker wrote:I just noticed that 75% of this list is the Unicron Trilogy

I say that's a flaw with this list.

:MAXIMAL:

What makes it a flaw? Wouldnt it weaken the list by restricting where the toys come from? The best is the best no matter where they from, and that era had a greater percentage of cybertronian molds, so it only makes sense they get more.

And Kanrabat about Tidal Wave... maybe. I personally feel his name is more water themed than the design of his combined alt mode (which looks more like a spaceship to me) but you never know.
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777358)
Posted by Rainmaker on April 2nd, 2016 @ 4:50pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

I say that's a flaw with this list.

:MAXIMAL:

It would bring in more diversity for there to be restrictions, most top 10/5 lists have the rule of one thing per franchise.

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777367)
Posted by ScottyP on April 2nd, 2016 @ 5:26pm CDT

I say that's a flaw with this list.
You're right. 100% of it could have been Unicron Trilogy, fixing the flaw :DANCE:
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777368)
Posted by Rainmaker on April 2nd, 2016 @ 5:27pm CDT
ScottyP wrote:

I say that's a flaw with this list.

This guy right here, has the right idea

:MAXIMAL:
Re: Top 5 Best Transformers Toys with Cybertronian Air Vehicle Alt Modes (1777371)
Posted by TK415 on April 2nd, 2016 @ 5:29pm CDT
Cool list. I like the choices. I skimmed it today. I look forward to reading it carefully and other people's comments as soon as possible.
I love Vector Prime. He was a really cool idea, character and toy. It is a really nice toy.

Great spaceships, great vehicle forms.
Transformers products from AMAZON