Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

Saturday, December 12th, 2015 10:27am CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 92,641

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 most needed G1 reissues

This list is pretty easy and needs almost no introduction. With G1 reissues being trendy again through the Platinum line, there are some I want Hasbro to release (some of which would be for the first time actually), and this list details them with some fun pics. What all these have in common is a fun playability aspect that G1 seemed to do really well and has been hard to replicate since, at least at that level. Let me know which ones you would like to see a rerelease (doesn't mater if it's already been rereleased as that hasn't stopped them). Hasbro is known to check these boards, so make it count! Seibertron has a bunch of galleries of the rarer toys so be sure to check them out and populate the discussion with pictures showcasing the beauty of these older toys which you feel need to be brought back.

5. Headmasters

The Headmasters were based on a fun gimmick that started the idea (along with Target Masters) of smaller Transformers interacting with larger ones (which became the entire gimmick of the Armada line and has remained a staple in one way or another). With the Headmasters, the little robot was a pilot for the larger robot's alt mode.

Transformers G1 1987 Chromedome Gallery

Since these toys were targeted at young children and older collectors weren't such a common occurrence, these smaller robots were often lost just as other accessories for any other toy is often lost. However, these were a far more unfortunate loss than a gun or even the other smaller robots which turned into guns (Target Masters) because these tiny robots Transformed into the larger robot's head.

Transformers G1 1987 Chromedome Gallery

Thus, while these toys are fun for the new level of interactivity, it is very hard for others to experience these old toys today since there are far more headless bodies available, to the point where the head will cost as much if not more than the larger Transformer body. What would be awesome is if Hasbro just rereleased a bunch of heads but I would be more than content with a reissue of the full headmasters.

4. Transformers G1 1987 Raiden

Japan was always more into train robots than the west/Hasbro was, with an entire Tomy line devoted to trains (which is the line Omega Supreme was designed for, and a line still existing today). It only makes sense that Takara would have a large train combiner that never got brought over by Hasbro. What is amazing about Raiden is that unlike the micromaster train combiners that came after (which Hasbro did eventually release), all the train cars could link to one another. This has never been done since in the Transformers line (Power Rangers did it, but those toys didn't come out in the west either). You could actually have this six car train and play with it as any other toy train and then separate them from one another and combine them into a really large robot. The angular train cars give the robot a very uniform look which many combiners fail to do.

3. Transformers Super God Masterforce Overlord

Oh man, this is the motherload of G1 excellence. I feel best to just give you the pictures below and leave you with this quote from fellow Seibertronian member Morphbots:

morphbots wrote:When I was younger, living at home without the responsibilities of "adult" life, I went on a tear tracking down as many G1 Asian exclusives as possible before my window of opportunity closed. Even though I was able to score a Grand Maximus during that time, Overlord is without a doubt the crown jewel of that search. He defies categorization, being a Godmaster, A Duocon, a city-former, and a triple-changer all in one.

Below is breakdown of some of the many features described above along with some gorgeous images. Just rerelease this already! Someone, anyone!

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

This toy is primarily made up of a tank and a cybertronian jet, both of which comes with little robots o pilot them.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

While each could fit in the cockpits, there was another port to insert them in on the vehicles.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

You could combine these two vehicles to forma base for the little guys.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

Or combine them to form a larger space ship.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

Of course, these two vehicles combined to make a larger robot, Overlord himself.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

The two smaller robots could plug into his chest, releasing some spring loaded gimmicks.

Oh and he was BIG!

2. Transformers Victory Liokaiser

I will break down how fun and well done this combiner is for a G1 toy. Firstly, Liokaiser is made up of six vehicles.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

Each individual robot has a interesting animal theme, like Jarugar below who's robot head has a jaguar helmet.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

You see his chest plate above? It was removable (they were called the Breastforce)and actualy turned into a gun...

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

... as well as a beast companion. In this case a flying Jaguar.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

Each of the six had the same breast plate gimmick but their own individual animals.

Transformers News: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues

Liokaiser himself is a great sum of his parts since, unlike previous combiners, his combiner hands and feet were integrated within the various vehicles. The only extra piece that you'd have to add to him to complete the combiner was the combiner head which is actually the top part of the robot's face and the larger lion themed helmet(the back of head becomes the combiner's mouth, quite a clever design).

1. The Dinobots

These need no explanation or argument. Everyone knows these iconic characters in one form or another. They have been a staple of the Transformers brand and are the perfect combination of everything a kid could want. They are dinosaurs who turn into robots. Can you think of anything better than that? I sure couldn't (my favourite childhood toy was Beast Wars Megatron) and I would love to own these G1 toys, as would every collector out there. While we are all wishing, I would prefer Swoop's chest to be blue like in the show but I wont complain one bit if ever these toys are rereleased.

Transformers G1 1985 Slag Gallery

Transformers G1 1985 Grimlock Gallery

Honourable mentions: I am not a big fan of pretenders but I would really wish to own the ones who's inner robots combine like Dino King and Monstructor (which are pretty redecos of one another).

Transformers Victory Dinoking Gallery

Transformers G1 1989 Monstructor Gallery

Transformers Victory Dinoking Gallery

Also, at the tail end of G1, when G2 was a thing, there were some G1 toys that were released by Hasbro but not in the United States. One of the best out of these was Skyquake and the predators (with fan favorite stalker). These could also interact with one another. The main problem was that Skyquake himself had parts that easily broke so a reissue (with better plastic) would please both those who never owned him and those who broke theirs.

This article was last modified on Wednesday, March 23rd, 2016 9:48pm CDT

Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747480)
Posted by Deathsanras on December 12th, 2015 @ 10:55am CST
No Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Mirage?
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747485)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on December 12th, 2015 @ 11:42am CST
I wouldn't put those 3 on my short list for the sheer fact that you can still find them quite easy on ebay. Here's my list:

G1 Star Saber / Leo Convoy combo.
Dia Atlas / Road Fire / Sonic Bomber combo.
Botcon Dawn of Futures Past Beast Wars set
G2 Defensor / Menasor
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747486)
Posted by Amelie on December 12th, 2015 @ 11:53am CST
Black Bumblebee wrote:G2 Defensor / Menasor

Can you reissue a toy that was never actually issued in the first place? :-?

As for the opening list - I mostly agree with it. Though I might be tempted to replace Raiden with the European Turbomasters.
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747488)
Posted by fairplaythings on December 12th, 2015 @ 12:29pm CST

I get that the Dinobots and a number of year one deluxe are hard to get, and I too would like to see them on the shelves again. But they are out there at differing price points either on the collector's market or as very convincing knockoffs. I for one am not interested in toys that can be procured without a lot of effort at a convention or through eBay.*

What I want to see are the those toys that are exceptionally hard to get because they never got released here in North America, and which are almost impossible to find complete. Yeah it was great to see Optimus Prime reissued for the first time a dozen years ago, but Apex Armour was what made my year.

So for what it is worth, here is my list:

1. Overlord - Just yes.

2. Black Zara - Imagine an unbroken Zarak with gold plastic that won't crumble on the shelf.

3. Dinoking - A chance to produce those shells in something that won't get sticky and blotchy with age. And correct for gold plastic syndrome. And offering a chance to double the line as a Monstructor variant.

4. Raiden (trainbots gift set) - Just yes.

5. Classic Pretender two-packs - I think there is so much potential here because of the possibility of colour variations. Imaging a series of two packs including Bumblebee versus a repainted Starscream as Thundercracker, a silver Grimlock versus a properly coloured Starscream, a Bumblebee variant two pack featuring Cliffjumper and Goldbug, and a Jazz versus a repainted Starscream as Skywarp. And the Shattered Glass four pack that could come out of that... Boggles the mind.

* I am certainly in the minority here but I really dig reissues of a different colour. I think the two packed Blitzwing and Astrotrain are awesome. I want more of those. So I'd conceed the point on G1 deluxes if it meant we could get a second or third recolour. The top five for me are:

1. Bluestreak (plus diaclone blue Bluestreak variant)
2. Sunstreaker (plus diaclone white and red variants)
3. Mirage (plus diaclone red and all transclusent variants)
4. Tracks (plus Roadrage and yellow variants)
5. Skids (plus diaclone red and grey variants)
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747493)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 12th, 2015 @ 1:12pm CST
I would REALLY love to get Overlord. Also, Masterforce Minelba/Minerva. That's one important fembot missing from my collection and she's rare as hell, even in Japan.

EDIT:

Just found one on Ebay. Loose and her weapons are KO "reissues". The guy almost and 900$ for it! Yes, G1 Masterforce Minelba is worthy of the title "White Whale".
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747494)
Posted by Glarryg on December 12th, 2015 @ 1:15pm CST
This not only make a good G1 Reissue want list, but I'd also like to see pretty much all of these (plus Road Caesar and Victory Saber) re-imagined in the Generations line.

Glarryg
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747498)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 12th, 2015 @ 1:38pm CST
I had a cheap neon knock-off of Raiden but didn't really care for it cos none of the modes looked any good to me.

Overlord was one of the things that killed off my childhood obsession with Transformers. I was just so tired of the brickiness and lack of articulation particularly on a really large figure like that one. I liked the alt-modes (especially the jet) but I found the robot mode so boring and horribly blocky (Powermaster Optimus Prime was also a square bricky thing but had much more charm). In many ways Hasbro's release of the Macross Valkyrie they called Jetfire spoilt Transformers a bit for me a few years before. The design and posability of it was fantastic and made most actual Transformers figures seem like crap.

I'd agree with the Dinobots on this list though. Despite some annoying issues (like Grimlock's robot head being so far back) they had some decent articulation for the time and they still look quite majestic especially in team shots.
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747500)
Posted by Ironhidensh on December 12th, 2015 @ 1:54pm CST
I have no connection to the G1 stuff not shown in America, so for me, most of this list means nothing, aside from the Dinobots and The Headmasters.

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather have generations style updates to these characters/figures.
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747503)
Posted by Ultra Markus on December 12th, 2015 @ 3:20pm CST
Deathsanras wrote:No Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Mirage?

those should be at the top of the list since there the only first season autobot cars that never got a reissue also jetfire needs a reissue
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747506)
Posted by Nemesis Destron on December 12th, 2015 @ 3:33pm CST
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747520)
Posted by Gunmetal on December 12th, 2015 @ 4:23pm CST
Ultra Markus wrote:
Deathsanras wrote:No Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Mirage?

I recall that Wheeljack and Mirage were among the list of molds that were worn out or lost, and are thus gone forever. :(

I think I heard somewhere that Sunstreaker and most of the Dinobots were on that same list, but I'm not as certain.

EDIT: Turns out the wiki confirms it (to the extent that a wiki can confirm anything).
It also brings up the legal issues with Jetfire (which shouldn't be a surprise, I guess).

I guess there's always Overlord.
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747523)
Posted by SkyBlueGiant on December 12th, 2015 @ 4:26pm CST

(I loved that guy)
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747525)
Posted by Amelie on December 12th, 2015 @ 4:30pm CST
Devastator and Soundwave were on that list, too - but got reverse engineered.

The truth of the matter here is that Sunstreaker and Mirage (even Wheeljack) - just aren't iconic enough for it to be worth it in the end and seeing how Devastator was reduced on several sites I think they're going to be careful about reverse engineering again in the future.

:edit: - Welcome to Seibertron, SkyBlueGiant!
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747536)
Posted by LOST Cybertronian on December 12th, 2015 @ 6:08pm CST
Nemesis Destron wrote:We definitely need Overlord, Star Convoy, and for the make a with of it Big Powered...'nuff said! :VEHI:

Star Convoy already had a reissue and I remember reading somewhere the sales weren't all that great.
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747537)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 12th, 2015 @ 6:14pm CST
LOST Cybertronian wrote:

I got the reissue. Not the best TF out there, but he's fun and weird enough for me. Plus, 100$US shipped aint too shabby for such a big and odd UFO.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Takara-Transform ... gqfGKCXxnQ
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747542)
Posted by william-james88 on December 12th, 2015 @ 6:45pm CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:
LOST Cybertronian wrote:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Takara-Transform ... gqfGKCXxnQ

Is that the listing you purchased?

And Nemsis Destron, it's still perfectly ok to mention Star Convoy here even if he got reissued. After all hasbro didn't reissue him yet (or issue him period). What bothers me though is that I fear it wouldnt make a difference with the prices Hasbro has been using as the MSRP recently. Some have been very good (the Seeker Squadron is right on the money in terms of inflation) but others not so much (like the insecticons).

fairplaythings wrote:If Hasbro reps read this list, I hope they are not turned away by the typos and spelling mistakes.

What typos and spelling mistakes ? ;) Awesome list by the way!

Ironhidensh wrote:

But I thought you preferred the quality of back in the day. You would really prefer to get these toys updated with today's quality? I don't mind, but I thought you would.

SkyBlueGiant wrote:I hate to be that guy, but isn't Snapdragon missing from that collection of Headmasters

(I loved that guy)

Welcome SkyBlueGiant. I am honoured that your first post is thanks to this list. As for Snapdragon, he isnt the only one missing. There is also Nightbeat and others. You can view his whole gallery here: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers- ... gon/438/2/
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747544)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 12th, 2015 @ 6:51pm CST
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747547)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on December 12th, 2015 @ 7:03pm CST
Ultra Markus wrote:
Deathsanras wrote:No Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, Mirage?

Jetfire's been reissues plenty, just not as a transformer. Which, barring a magical genie granting a wish, he never will be. I would be glad if he was, as my OG Jetfire is pretty beaten up.
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747549)
Posted by william-james88 on December 12th, 2015 @ 7:05pm CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:About Star Convoy reissue, I don't really remember but it may be the listing that I bought from. Still, I remember that it was 100$ CANADIAN shipped. Maybe the guy increased his price because he only have 2 left out of 18?

Our dollar has sunk lower since you purchased it too, I would assume.
Re: Top 5 Most Needed / Wanted G1 Transformers Toys Reissues (1747556)
Posted by Unicron Magnus on December 12th, 2015 @ 7:25pm CST
Combiner Wars Raiden. I NEED it.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Series 4 MEGATRON Transformers Tiny Turbo Changers Movie Edition 2018 Hasbro New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BotCon 2003 T-Shirt XL Optimus Prime vs. Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Scattershot New MIB Betatron Combiner Scattorshot " on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Ironhide New MIB Optimus Maximus Combiner Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Optimus Prime, MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers BOTBOTS.Magic Tricksters.Series 4.The Great Mumbo Bumblo.Figure.NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Optimus Prime New MIB Ultra Prime Combiner Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro 2011 Transformers Bot Shots Brawl new sealed series 1 017" on EBAY