Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love.

Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love.

Saturday, May 15th, 2021 8:55am CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Top Lists
Posted by: -Kanrabat-   Views: 25,119

Usually, the "Top Five" list are written by william-james88 but since his list are a monthly thing now, I'll just fill in from times to times. I don't have any planned schedule so consider my lists as "surprise bonuses"! My list will be my opinion, of course, but they will also use the opinions of other fellow Seibertronians. So let's get to it!

Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love.

Some Transformers toys are mostly considered "bad" or "horrible" by the community and are universally "hated" by "everyone." However, I, and some of you, actually LOVE these things.
Only a specific toy count. No groups nor generalisations. Who are those Ugly Ducklings?

#5) G1 Stalker

When it come to G1 toys, most are loved for having an important role in the cartoons or comics. Many have been brought back to life over and over in the Generations line. But it seems that even Hasbro "hate" or don't care about that poor brick with a bad early 1990's color scheme. Many consider Machine Wars Soundwave to be superior because he have more "serious" colors and he got the big name. So, does indiference could count as hate? Maybe. But Burn love that little oddball:

Burn wrote:Stalker.

Apparently a lot of people think he's a brick (they never seem to complain about MW Soundwave though ...) and pick on his colours but they're just wrong and clearly don't have one in their collection because if they did then they'd see how awesome he is.

Not even Seibertron care enough to have a gallery of him. Poor Stalker. :(

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love.

#4) Armada Sideswipe

Armada Sideswipe is a prime example in how gimmicks can just ruin a toy. He's so full of them that the bot is a brick with horrible proportions. Even his minicon is just a bike that sprouted legs! Add the fact that his vehicle mode is one of the most boring ever and you have the recipe for a disaster. Years ago The Plastic Addict made a VIDEO about the poor guy. Overcracker love the thing though:

Overcracker wrote:Armada Side Swipe. Yes, he's a terrible figure, sacrifices a lot for the gimmick. But somehow I still enjoy fiddling with him regardless.

I gotta admit, I too, love that horrible thing that is universally panned. I have a certain love for horrible gobelins.

Transformers Armada Side Swipe (Stepper) Gallery

Transformers Armada Side Swipe (Stepper) Gallery

Transformers Armada Side Swipe (Stepper) Gallery

Transformers Armada Side Swipe (Stepper) Gallery

#3) Generations Universe/Henkei Galvatron

Way back in the days and for years to come, people hated that guy for many reasons. He's just a deluxe. He turn into a tank instead of his traditional canon. His transformation is fiddly. He have odd colors. But a few like Gauntlet101010 love the guy.

Gauntlet101010 wrote:Henkei Galvatron. Everyone hates you but me. I know he's fiddly. I know he's hard to stand. I know he should have been a voyager and I'm glad we're getting Kingdom Galvatron too. But I still appreciate what we got in Henkei Galvy. I like the colours. I like the alt mode with his orange cannon poking out. I even like the transforation - it takes a while to get used to, but it can be fun.

I too, have a certain fondness of the guy. But I'll show the Classic version because I'm sure he's generally more hated than the "superior" Henkei version.

Transformers Universe - Classics 2.0 Galvatron Gallery

Transformers Universe - Classics 2.0 Galvatron Gallery

Transformers Universe - Classics 2.0 Galvatron Gallery

Transformers Universe - Classics 2.0 Galvatron Gallery

#2) Fall Of Cybertron Jazz

I really HATE that Jazz with passion. He's the embodiment, the avatar of Hasbro going cheap. At that time instead of increasing the price of the toys, Hasbro decided to cut corners instead. So that Jazz is extremely small, barely any paint apps, plus it's hollow and soft like a disposable yogurt cup. To add insult to injury, there was a huge "explosive" text pointing out that HE COME WITH HIS GUUUUUUUUN!!!.......The tiniest gun ever. Still, ShadowBlaze do love the damn thing.

ShadowBlaze wrote:Honourable Mention: Fall of Cybertron Jazz. I wouldn't call him a favourite, but I always felt he was a decent figure, and I never understood the vitriol he received. I don't know if the blue head and fists were an intentional homage to the old comics, but I think they look fine, and I don't think it's a bad Cybertronian take on a character whose toys have almost always had Earth-inspired alt-modes.

Ironic that that Jazz that I hate is in the forefront of my own Jazz collection and I even recently bought the Reprolabels set to pimp him up. Look like my "hate" is turning into love! :lol:

Transformers Fall of Cybertron Jazz Gallery

Transformers Fall of Cybertron Jazz Gallery

Transformers Fall of Cybertron Jazz Gallery

#1) Age of Extinctions First Edition Optimus Prime

Prime VS Prime HATE it. Will HATE it. EVERYONE hate it. He pose badly. He's way too big. He got the mother of all backpacks. He's an unashamed ultimate shellformer.

I may be truly alone in this into loving the crap out of this guy. It's one of my favorite Movie Optimus ever! He is huge, He is SHINY. He look powerful in bot mode and truck mode. Plus he's fun and easy to transform. Also, the fact that he drive himself is hilarious! I really and genuinely love that thing. I have the Silver Knight edition and he'll always have a PRIME spot in my Prime collection. First picture is mine doing the "drive himself" pose and the rest of the pictures are for the regular version.

AoE 1st Edition Optimus Prime is the BEST Movie Optimus toy ever! [-(

Transformers Age of Extinction: Generations First Edition Optimus Prime Gallery

Transformers Age of Extinction: Generations First Edition Optimus Prime Gallery

Transformers Age of Extinction: Generations First Edition Optimus Prime Gallery

Honorable mention: Studio Series #22 Dropkick.

Many "hate" that toy for not being movie accurate. But many love that toy for the toy itself regardless of the character. But this guy get too much love to be on the list.

Even though I intended to make a "top 10", I think a "top 5" is the best way to showcase what is more significant. I hope you enjoyed that list and please share below your personal Ugly Duckling!

Credit(s): -Kanrabat- from Seibertron

Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104476)
Posted by cruizerdave on May 15th, 2021 @ 9:10am CDT
Lots of good ideas, but grammar is you friend.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104477)
Posted by WeatherManNX01 on May 15th, 2021 @ 9:10am CDT
I'm generally in agreement with Universe Galvatron with one slight modification: he needed to a be a Voyager class.

For what they were going for at that time with the Classics/Universe figures - modern updates of classic characters - Galvatron looked good and had a fun transformation. Where he fell down was being just too darn small for the parts and transformation. Had he been a larger class (Voyager or even Ultra) as he'd been planned, I think he'd have gone from Universally disliked to universally loved.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104479)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on May 15th, 2021 @ 9:56am CDT
Good list. Personally for me I love the Infernocus toy that was made for The Last Knight. Mostly because I loved the legends sized Abominus from TF:P, but also because I like the little mini Quintessa figure.

The Thrilling 30's Windblade is another one that I've grown to love but other people seem to hate a lot.

Classics Megatron is one figure that I love, mainly for the look. The light piping, the head design, the big green wings. What's not to love about him?

Studio Series Shatter, the car version. The car mode is gorgeous, and it looks awesome next to the car version of Dropkick!

Beast Wars Retrax. I love this guy, shut up.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104482)
Posted by SkyFire Prime on May 15th, 2021 @ 10:17am CDT
CW Megatron. When I transform him he gives me the hand-feel of a 1980s figure. Fantastic Paint and Head Sculpt. One of my favorites, almost dismissed him.

https://tformers.com/generations-megatr ... /news.html
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104484)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on May 15th, 2021 @ 10:57am CDT
cruizerdave wrote:Great list, but reading it I just kept hearing Samuel L. Jackson’s voice saying, “English mother f***er, do you speak it!?”
Lots of good ideas, but grammar is you friend.

English is not my primary language. So if you find any "shocking" mistakes, feel free to point them out and explain the correct way so that I can learn.
It will be much more helpful. ;)
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104486)
Posted by jtanimator on May 15th, 2021 @ 11:16am CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Lots of good ideas, but grammar is you friend.

It will be much more helpful. ;)

I’m usually not this guy, but it’s incredibly hard to read into how sarcastic and spiteful this comment is intended to be. If it is, I don’t know why you’re being so defensive, he was just pointing out that the article was a little hard to read because of the seemingly intentional “mistakes” made grammatically. I was thinking the same thing, and it was rather confusing. If this is a sincere comment, which I doubt, then ignore this. Nothing happening here lol.

Anyways, power of the primes Jazz for me. Everyone hates that dude, and I bought him thinking I would, but instantly I fell in love with his satisfying transformation and blocky robot mode. As a matter of fact after buying the new SS 86 figure i compared them and potp jazz looks WAY cooler and feels just as good to me. Never heard of someone else liking that figure.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104487)
Posted by blackeyedprime on May 15th, 2021 @ 11:40am CDT
Potp Jazz was pretty decent, good transformation and yet a solid limb with oout looking blocky in bot mode. He didnt get the repaints it deserved with Gobots Crasher being top of the list (as much as I like mirage repainted as crasher). Stepper repaint had the usual ugly/cheaped out wrong colored panels that hasbro has a thing for.
Mines stickered up as G2 Jazz so it looks different to classics which im still favoring over SS86.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104489)
Posted by Bounti76 on May 15th, 2021 @ 12:45pm CDT
jtanimator wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Lots of good ideas, but grammar is you friend.

It will be much more helpful. ;)

I dunno. I found the response telling him his English wasn't proper to be far more rude. It could have been "I found this to be a bit hard to read; just wondering, is English not your first language?" Instead, he used a quote that contained a bleeped but known profanity, then a condescending jab at his grammar. Not cool.

I actually like POTP Jazz as well. He works great as a car, as a robot, but doesn't hold together well as a limb. Ricochet is even more fiddly. But to me, the bot mode proportions are how I generally see Jazz in my mind's eye- lean and lanky, not short and squat like his SS86 figure (though I still enjoy that one as well.

Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104490)
Posted by tfcrafter on May 15th, 2021 @ 12:49pm CDT
Lots of good ideas, but grammar is you friend.

Grammar is "you" friend?
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104493)
Posted by jtanimator on May 15th, 2021 @ 1:15pm CDT
Bounti76 wrote:
jtanimator wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Lots of good ideas, but grammar is you friend.

It will be much more helpful. ;)

I mean don’t get me wrong, his quote could have been more gentle, but it seemed like he was just correcting an intentional decision in a humorous way. And for me personally, I don’t understand why it’s considered so hurtful to make corrections in general to improper English when it’s so frequently misguided in an article like this. He easily could have had it double checked by a friend or another forum director. I learned some Spanish, for example, while living in California for a bit, and if I had been asked to write an article for a Spanish site as an “admin” (of sorts), then I would absolutely run it by a native speaker to avoid those reoccurring grammatical mistakes. No harm done, just common sense for any language if it’s not your primary language. I don’t think that should be considered hurtful or offensive, it’s just growing and learning. Getting defensive about the language you speak isn’t a great excuse. .

Also I totally forgot potp jazz even had a limb mode haha, yeah it’s not good at all. I thought the potp fembot mode was pretty decent until they milked the living heck out of that mode. But while I generally like the look of the WFC fembot mode more, the potp one is almost definitely much higher quality in every other way.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104494)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on May 15th, 2021 @ 1:30pm CDT
Bounti76 wrote:I also really like the POTP fembot mold (Moonracer, Lancer, Greenlight, Firestar). Actually quite poseable, makes a nicely proportioned combiner, and we got two quite obscure characters out of it. And with the exception of Firestar, the vehicle modes are very nicely detailed and look very distinct from each other. I'd still like a Chromia from this mold, too.

Well, considering that a complete MIB/MOC fembot combiner actually SOLD for well over 700$can, I don't think these girls are hated at all.

Siege Chromia and Select Nightbird with their brittle hood part on the other hand....
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104495)
Posted by Latebrus-K on May 15th, 2021 @ 1:49pm CDT

About the grammar issues, I just feel bad no one looked over the article before putting it on the front page. Changing stuff like “Prime vs Prime HATE it” to “Prime vs Prime HATES it” would’ve taken minimal effort and saved the community some bellyaching and embarrassment. That’s the mistake people have been talking about, right?
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104500)
Posted by jtanimator on May 15th, 2021 @ 2:48pm CDT
Latebrus-K wrote:Not sure if I’ve already said this, but TR Galvatron is my “ugly duckling.” I think his overall size, colors, and especially the legs are superior to the comparatively uninspired kingdom version. I might try to combine the best parts of each when I get him. Also a fan of the jet mode and headmaster, silly and tacked-on as they are. I can’t stand the unpainted grey plastic though.

Generally, yes. It’s not one specific issue, there were well above dozens of other issues like that, but that’s a solid example. And I second your comment.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104506)
Posted by Nemesis Reformatted on May 15th, 2021 @ 4:10pm CDT
I LOVE Stalker!

Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104508)
Posted by Psychout on May 15th, 2021 @ 4:14pm CDT
I'm totally with Burn on this one, Stalker is awesome. Agree that rest are shite though.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104512)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on May 15th, 2021 @ 4:37pm CDT
Stalker: don't have him, can't comment other than I like him being a tank lending ground-based support for the air-based Predators.

Armada Sideswipe: Had so much potential and some good ideas like the stereotypical gunslinger action. Have both the original and Runabout/Runamuck retool, so can't say I dislike him.

Universe 2008 Galvatron: Again, so much potential. I don't mind him being scaled down from the original Voyager to Deluxe, but at least change his engineering to better accommodate it! Maybe ditch the orange too.
I do like the TR one, but... see my quote.

Nemesis Reformatted wrote:I HATE Henkei Galvatron because he seriously needs heels. It's impossible to stand him up.

He does have heels, but his shins slide forward for them to be swung into position.

FoC Autobot Jazz: yeah, the only one I don't have any good words on. Plus, his back hinge yellowed something fierce.

Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104514)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on May 15th, 2021 @ 4:47pm CDT
Jelze Bunnycat wrote:AoE First Edition Optimus Prime: don't have him, can't comment... is he easier to transform than the regular Leader?

Much easier to transform and no fiddle factor. He's really a fun toy to mess around with. If you can find him (or the Silver one) for cheap, I highly recommend him. ;)^
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104522)
Posted by Overcracker on May 15th, 2021 @ 6:24pm CDT
Hey... I made the list. Thanks for the callout. Yeah, Sideswipe is terrible, but lovable.

Anyway great list.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104523)
Posted by butcher31 on May 15th, 2021 @ 6:28pm CDT
I don't get the hatred for Dropkick. Sure it's not super movie accurate, but the way they get such a narrow little helicopter to fill out and have some form is really clever.

I'd also put ROTF Leader class Jetfire on the list. It cops a lot of flack and I'm not sure why. It's not as good as the Studio Series, but still a whole lot of fun. It goes from hunkered over robot to big long plane with electronics and able to merge with leader Optimus. Great toy.

I'm writing this with SW Motormaster in front of me and I think he was underappreciated too. The combined form was a little floppy, but this voyager is a fun chunky thing in both of his regular modes.

Good list and good topic. I like it when people are able to enjoy things that are generally panned. I find it much more refreshing than the other way around.
Re: Top 5 Transformers toys that "everyone hate" but I truly and genuinely love. (2104532)
Posted by High_Q on May 15th, 2021 @ 7:59pm CDT
G1 Stalker has nice alt and bot modes; i hated the colours then, but now feel nostalgic about it :DANCE: . I wouldn't mind an Earthrise Doubledealer retool of it.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-47 Kickback & Double Dealer" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-38 Laserbeak & Apeface" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-37 Ravage & Bullhorn" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG-28 Rewind & Nightbeat" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Botcon 2013 Classics SEEKER HOTLINK  Tech Card  & instuctions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Blurr" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Challenge at Cybertron Rodimus and Titans Return Hot Rod" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Voyager ASTROTRAIN Loose Figure" on EBAY