Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

Saturday, February 7th, 2015 8:33am CST

Categories: Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 54,902

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 released figures that need an upscale (and preferably a new mold too).

These are the figures that just begged a greater size class. Many of the ones I chose are from the Classics, Universe, and Generations line which is about new interpretations of classic characters with modern day designs and engineering(also known as CHUG with the H referring to the Japanese version of the toys released in the Henkei line). However, one is from another line that just badly needed to be on this list, making it more of a general list than specifically about CHUG. This Top 5 list is all about the toys we wish would have been bigger at release and that we hope eventually get redone at a larger scale, with a new mold.

5. Classics Trypticon

Picture these words in your head: Classics Trypticon. Doesn't that fill your mind with glorious images of a Mecha Godzilla-like giant that could put up a hell of a fight against Generations Metroplex? Well instead, Classics Trypticon is a tiny Legends Class redeco of Cybertron Scourge. This is almost a joke pick since it's totally absurd to have the only ever entry of this character in the CHUG line be a tiny tiny dragon. Just look at him against his original G1 self.

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

And this is just to put things in perspective

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

4. Transformers Prime Hardshell

On the show, Hardshell is big enough to give Optimus a decent challenge, at least in his first appearance. The toy they made for him is actually beautifully sculpted and has a satisfying transformation and is quite show accurate to boot, except for his size. This toy is a Commander (aka Scout) Class figure and in this size, he would pose as much challenge to Optimus as would some ants. This toy could have easily been bigger (deluxe or voyager) without needing any changes to the mold. The worst part is that Hasbro actually did upscale legion class figures at the tail end of the toyline, but they didn't upscale this one!

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

3. Generations Shockwave

Generations Shockwave gets the third spot simply because I really hope this is not Hasbro's idea of a "classics" Shockwave. Firstly, this toy is more in relation to his appearance in the Transformers WFC/FOC video games and doesn't necessarily fit with the other CHUG figures that are not part of that game (unlike Grimlock, Soundwave and Blaster, all voyagers too). Secondly, he looks puny. There have been amazing Shockwave figures in the past, such as his analogues in the Energon and Prime line. Both those toys were the right voyager size and, funny enough, actually work much better on a Classics shelf than Generations Shockwave. Even Cloud Shockwave uses a Voyager mold from the Generations line. Here's hoping that we will see another "Generations Shockwave" and that this time, it will be a voyager.

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale
Transformers Fall of Cybertron Shockwave Gallery

2. Universe Dinobot

Dinobot is one of the select Beast Wars characters to have gotten a new toy since Beast Wars ended. However, like Cheetor, it was not much of an improvement. The sculpt may have been better but he still has a problem with exposed robot kibble that looks really weird. And with the release of a Voyager sized Rhinox since then, he looks really out of scale. He should be towering over the other maximals but ends up being only a head taller than Rattrap. I am really hoping he eventually gets released in a show accurate size and hopefully with a better mold.

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

1. Universe Galvatron

This is a no brainer for a much needed upscaled release. This toy was even supposed to be a voyager (and have a third mode), hence his surprising detail and complexity for a deluxe class. It's also only Galvatron we are talking about, the leader of the Decepticons and biggest psycho in the galaxy. He deserves a nice big imposing figure showcasing his might!

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

Honourable mentions: Along with hard shell, upscaling Cyberverse Airachnid would have done some good since we desperately needed something better than the deluxe they gave us. Also, Generations Tankor should have been a voyager. It was so great for Hasbro to show us that Beast Machines was not forgotten, though it seems like they forgot that Tankor towered over everyone on the show, in reference to him once having been the gentle giant Rhinox. Instead we got a figure as small as his wavemate, Rattrap.

Transformers News: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale

This article was last modified on Tuesday, April 12th, 2016 9:33am CDT

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647878)
Posted by william-james88 on February 7th, 2015 @ 8:38am CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:1. DoTM Voyager Megatron (how that figure didn't get a leader class version is beyond me)

That's an amazing choice! Can't believe I didnt think about it.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647880)
Posted by dragons on February 7th, 2015 @ 8:47am CST
Would like to see new trypticon or scorponok in larger scale with new body but not every bot needs upscale,.

Scale is wrong term for me upgrade look fits it better classics glavatron needs one but put g1 galvatron, g1 ultra magnus next to g1 combiner definatly see scale is big out of propertaion new look is what they need
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647882)
Posted by Primeultimus on February 7th, 2015 @ 8:50am CST
I agree with all of the choices!

Really sad no one has upscaled Hardshell yet. I have a upscaled Trailcutter and Huffer.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647885)
Posted by Tsutsukakushi on February 7th, 2015 @ 9:13am CST
1. 2.0 Galvatron, Ultra or Leader class.

2. 2.0 Cyclonus, Voyager or Ultra class.

3. Generation G1 Scourge Voyager class.

4. 10th anniversary new toy for Beast Wars Megatron. Voyager class.

5. AOE Lockdown, Leader class toy.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647887)
Posted by Rated X on February 7th, 2015 @ 9:39am CST

With that being said, nearly every character in the G1 cartoon has gotten a classics style figure in some capacity. Probably the only ones I can think of who dont either have a figure done or announced is Trypticon, Snapdragon, and a couple of fembots. Even sky lynx is represented in the form of a cheesy beast hunters repaint. Now if you want to take 3rd party offerings out of the equation, sure theres a lot of gaps left to be filled. But thats a whole seperate argument. But wanting a classics hardshell when the character is only 2 years old is asking a bit too much. People waited almost 30 years to get a proper Arcee, have some patience.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647891)
Posted by william-james88 on February 7th, 2015 @ 9:45am CST
Rated X wrote:When I think of the word "update" I tend to think more of a character that hasnt gotten a figure EVER in the classics line, not just that you didnt like the aesthetic, size, etc.

With that being said, nearly every character in the G1 cartoon has gotten a classics style figure in some capacity. Probably the only ones I can think of who dont either have a figure done or announced is Trypticon and Snapdragon, and a couple of fembots. Even sky lynx is represented in the form of a cheesy beast hunters repaint. Now if you want to take 3rd party offerings out of the equation, sure theres a lot of gaps left to be filled. But thats a whole seperate argument. But wanting a classics hardshell when the character is only 2 years old is absurd. People waited almost 30 years to get a proper Arcee, have some patience.

If you reread what was written, you will notice that I never wrote that, at all.

That's why I used the word upscale and not update. I thought you were referring to what someone else said actually.

In any case, if you read my intro, it's stated that this is just a list about figures I wished had come out in a bigger scale. It isn't related to necessarily wanting a classics version. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, you can let me know what it is that confused you in what I wrote.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647894)
Posted by sol magnus on February 7th, 2015 @ 9:57am CST
Jazz needs an upscale to Masterpiece.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647898)
Posted by Rated X on February 7th, 2015 @ 10:05am CST
william-james88 wrote:

Sorry about the "absurd" comment. I actually thought it was a bit harsh and changed it along with a round of errors made from my original post. But if youre glued to that article replying to comments the microsecond they appear, I cant help that. #-o

On hardshell, theres a whole list of rather new characters that got a figure but didnt get a proper one. This includes stinger, dispensor, the other 2 dreads, and that new garbage truck character whatever his name is. Hardshell did get the short end of the stick in the TF Prime line. But as I stated earlier, it took almost 30 years of fan uproar and patience to get a proper arcee. You gotta be patient, especially with Hasbro. Hardshell is also kind of stuck in that catagory where he was meant to be a bombshell homage just in a different aesthetic and colors like RID Grimlock AKA godzilla.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647902)
Posted by william-james88 on February 7th, 2015 @ 10:16am CST
Rated X wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Sorry about the "absurd" comment. I actually thought it was a bit harsh and changed it along with a round of errors made from my original post. But if youre glued to that article replying to comments the microseco d they appear, I cant help that. #-o

No worries, and I get what you mean by waiting for a proper version of the character, but I dont think Hardshell ever has a chance. And there are a bunch of other character's I'd rather get an update by Hasbro before this guy does. But that's another list for another time. I just found it a shame that the scale was so off with his release, but I didnt know about the homage which is quite interesting. And you bring up some other unfortunate releases too, like Stinger..
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647918)
Posted by Gallifreyan Autobot on February 7th, 2015 @ 11:13am CST
i thought Galvatron "could be any size he wants" :lol: :D ;)
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647929)
Posted by DMSL on February 7th, 2015 @ 11:36am CST

:BANG_HEAD:
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647938)
Posted by Tsutsukakushi on February 7th, 2015 @ 12:08pm CST
DMSL wrote:I hate to be an ass but let's talk downscaling, i nominate Combiner Wars Megatron, he needs to be a Voyager class.

:BANG_HEAD:

Think HasTak should of had these Generations leader class toys be able to combine with all of the CW Voyager class toys. With the Core middle bot being the Leader Class toy that combines With the CW Voyagers that get used as the limbs bots.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647939)
Posted by shajaki on February 7th, 2015 @ 12:11pm CST
love these top 5 threads. great work WJ ;)^

DIIIIIINNNNOOOOOOOOOO-BBBOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT.......
anyone surprised by that? :lol:

and yes. galvatron. im one of the few who actually likes it, but i wouldnt turn down a voyager.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647941)
Posted by Tsutsukakushi on February 7th, 2015 @ 12:22pm CST

No, if a HasTak TF toy got One bad or a few bad update toys, Then it needs a better update toy made. Especially if it's a popular core character in the fiction than many fans liked. Rather see HasTak keep trying till they get it right, instead of giving up. Points towards G1 Galvatron as the ultimate example of terrible update toys.

Sorry, don't want every single obsecure TF character getting a update toy. I'm not a completist nor am I building my final TF collection. Don't need to see these Obsecure characters taking center stage in update toys while the more popular core characters get retired and get no more or fewer update newer toys.

Want to actually see the Seeker characters get a correct and decent CHUG toy that is Voyager class. Need to see G1 Galvatron getting a correct and better CHUG or MP Toy that is either MP Leader class or CHUG Voyager-Ultra-Leader class. Want all of the CHUG Deluxe cars bots to get better and bigger HasTak Voyager class MP TF toys. Think MP Rodimus Prime was a not so good toy, Want it done over in either CHUG or 3rd party.

Cyclonus, Scourge and Galvatron getting those wrong scaled and inferior made toys for CHUG needs to be corrected in newer update toy form. Even in the CHUG toy line, These characters needed to be Voyagers or Ultras. Need to see G1 Cyclonus, Scourge and Galvatron get newer CHUG styled toys that are Voyager, Ultra or Leader class. Need to see MP TF Update toys made for Cyclonus and Scourge that are Ultra or Leader class. G1 Galvatron deserves to get a MP TF Leader Class toy made.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647943)
Posted by that1guysittingthere on February 7th, 2015 @ 12:23pm CST
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647950)
Posted by Valandar on February 7th, 2015 @ 12:31pm CST

:BANG_HEAD:

I dunno, I think he'd be just the right size for a pseudo G2 besides the MP line. In fact, that's primarily why I'm getting him.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647951)
Posted by Tsutsukakushi on February 7th, 2015 @ 12:33pm CST
that1guysittingthere wrote:I think the classics Seekers should be upscaled. They do not scale well when standing next to Universe Sunstreaker and Prowl. Are the Masterpiece Seekers scaled well with the Universe Autobot cars?

As far as the G1 Cartoon seasons 1 and 2 goes. Think the MP TF ultra class seekers toys are scaled well with the MP TF Voyager class cars bots.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647954)
Posted by Valandar on February 7th, 2015 @ 12:40pm CST
As for scale... I always wanted the Minibots at Scout size;the Autobot Cars and combiner limbs at Deluxe; the larger Autobot cars like Inferno and the combiner torsos at Voyager; Prime, the Jets, Megatron, Soundwave, Blaster, and the like at Ultra; The Dinobots, Sky Lynx, and Jetfire at Leader; and the Citybots and Omega Supreme at Supreme to Titan classes.

Then again, I also think Fort Max should have been almost as large in fiction as Metroplex, but part of that was colored by the sheer size of the toy. In my mind, Spike would be slightly larger than a normal human in 'cyborg' mode, maybe 8 feet; Cerebro would thus end up being the size of a normal Headmaster, or about Deluxe; and then Fort Max himself would HAVE to be large enough to have a Deluxe as a head, like the figure is.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647955)
Posted by Cycl0ne on February 7th, 2015 @ 12:44pm CST
1. I agree with voyager Beast wars Dinobot. I personally have the henkei version and it looks great but compared to everyone else he looks really short especially since he was the tallest of the group.

2. I'm missing Beast wars Terrorsaur. Its hard to find the show accurate version. But just like Dinobot he needs a Voyager class. Seen pics of the original and he looks really short. That would be perfect an upscale/new mold of Beast wars Terrorsaur to go along with a new Beast wars voyager Dinobot.

3. Human alliance AOE Lockdown. Human alliance would make sense since he did have an alliance with humans. Also his deluxe version is way too short. And I mean he's like the main villain of the movie in a really nice car. He deserved much more than a retool of dotm roadbuster. (Perfect example,Human alliance soundave fits in better scale than its form deluxe counterpart).

4. Leader class Dotm Megatron or AOE Galvatron. In my movie collection of decepticons i have leader starcream and human alliance soundwave. I do have dotm voyager megatron but he falls short. I need the main villain standing tall right in the middle. I eould prefer Leader DotM Megatron since he would be perfect next to his other Dotm mates but I would still take a AOE leader Galvatron.
Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys That Need An Upscale (1647965)
Posted by welcometothedarksyde on February 7th, 2015 @ 1:38pm CST
I know that no one is going to agree with me on upscaling these characters, but the Decepticons from the first movie toyline are almost all totally out of scale with the Autobots. Blackout although not much taller is substantially bulkier than Optimus Prime, instead he's a puny Voyager. Brawl was upscaled, but then he was too large. He should be Voyager/ Ultra according to the scale guides I'm aware of. Lastly Bonecrusher should've been a voyager as well to scale with any Optimus from that line. They make these awesome and huge onscreen characters but then give them the shaft offscreen.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Playskool Transformers Rescue Bots DANI BURNS & (2) BLADES FLIGHT BOTS Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cliffjumper 2019 Figure Deluxe Class Earthrise War Cybertron Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Bumblebee Rescue Guard 10-Inch" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot Academy Medix the Doc-Bot Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "VINTAGE 1984 TRANSFORMERS G1, Devastator , SCAVENGER + SCRAPPER, Takara, Japan" on EBAY
Buy "WFC-S37 BRUNT Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Deluxe Hasbro 2019 MIB Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers - TRU Exclusive Masterpiece - MP-01 Acid Storm (MISB)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Rescan - Bumblebee (Rescue Jet) - Hasbro" on EBAY