Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview

Monday, October 17th, 2011 3:20pm CDT

Categories: Game News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 61,506

gameinformer has posted a couple of video interviews with Transformers: Fall of Cybertron game director Matt Tieger. Click here to view the interviews.

Matt Tieger has to direct Optimus Prime. He has to direct the player's experience and he has to direct High Moon Studios as they work on Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. While technically a sequel to 2010's War for Cybertron, due to some radical changes in story structure and gameplay, Matt Tieger prefers to call Fall of Cybertron a spiritual successor. We had a chance to sit down the game's director to talk about his history in the gaming industry and what it is like to be a key player in one of the largest franchises in entertainment.

Credit(s): gameinformer

This article was last modified on Monday, October 17th, 2011 3:23pm CDT

Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301729)
Posted by Anonymous on October 17th, 2011 @ 3:21pm CDT
i got my gameinformer today. should i post scans up or what?
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301733)
Posted by BLUDGEON on October 17th, 2011 @ 3:32pm CDT
wigglez323 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
BLUDGEON wrote:Agreed, thats what I pretty much thought when I heard about it being linked to TF Prime. I dont know why they couldn't just let it be its own thing. It would have allowed them to make another seperate toy line. They probably think kids might get confused. I think they underestimate children..
I think that's where the main confusion is coming from because, even though we're being told the game is not G1 continuity, I think it's obvious enough that it was originally meant to be.
Aside from the homages to G1, what surefire evidence do we have to say that it was originally intended to be a G1 game, exactly?

All the interview videos with Tieger about WFC

Yeah, they said it was based on/around G1
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301735)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 17th, 2011 @ 3:34pm CDT
BLUDGEON wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

All the interview videos with Tieger about WFC

Yeah, they said it was based on/around G1
Like I said, show me. I want to see them.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301742)
Posted by prowl123 on October 17th, 2011 @ 3:42pm CDT
Just recieved this mon'th's gameinformer, and the featured article if FOC.

We have Vortex, Grimlock, Megatron, Optimus, Cliffjumper, and Jazz shown.

Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301743)
Posted by Sabrblade on October 17th, 2011 @ 3:47pm CDT
prowl123 wrote:Just recieved this mon'th's gameinformer, and the featured article if FOC.

We have Vortex, Grimlock, Megatron, Optimus, Cliffjumper, and Jazz shown.
Aside from OP, Grimlock, and CJ, does anyone else look different from WFC?
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301745)
Posted by prowl123 on October 17th, 2011 @ 3:51pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

We have Vortex, Grimlock, Megatron, Optimus, Cliffjumper, and Jazz shown.
Aside from OP, Grimlock, and CJ, does anyone else look different from WFC?

Megatron is VERY different. Will get a pic soon.

Hell, I'll do it now.

AlL hAiL MEgAtRoN!

Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301764)
Posted by TulioDude on October 17th, 2011 @ 4:24pm CDT
Sounds cool.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301770)
Posted by BLUDGEON on October 17th, 2011 @ 4:37pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

All the interview videos with Tieger about WFC
Lemme see.

'We went back to G1.. that was the cornerstone of everything we did...'

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ron/18531/

Watch the video..
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301773)
Posted by Wigglez on October 17th, 2011 @ 4:39pm CDT
Sabrblade wrote:
BLUDGEON wrote:
wigglez323 wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:

All the interview videos with Tieger about WFC

Yeah, they said it was based on/around G1
Like I said, show me. I want to see them.

You can't look things up yourself?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhM5mVAc ... re=related
Not to mention the character designs.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301780)
Posted by BLUDGEON on October 17th, 2011 @ 4:50pm CDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhM5mVAc ... re=related

At 1:51....

*High fives Wigglez323*
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301781)
Posted by Shadowman on October 17th, 2011 @ 4:53pm CDT
BLUDGEON wrote:'We went back to G1.. that was the cornerstone of everything we did...'

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ron/18531/

Watch the video..

It says they used it as a basis, not that it's set in G1. All TF series use G1 as a basis.

EDIT:

BLUDGEON wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhM5mVAc3QE&feature=related

At 1:51....

*High fives Wigglez323*

At Toy Fair 2010, two months before that, Hasbro reps said WfC was part of TF:P's continuity.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301786)
Posted by Wigglez on October 17th, 2011 @ 5:03pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ron/18531/

Watch the video..

We've found proof. And you still deny it. Whatever, that doesn't matter. What matters is this game is going to be better than WFC. I'm starting to say that it doesn't matter what cartoon the game belongs to. This is just what happens before they came to Earth.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301788)
Posted by NatsumeRyu on October 17th, 2011 @ 5:06pm CDT
Concept art of Perceptor above and to the left of HMS logo in the Tieger interviews. :D
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301792)
Posted by Shadowman on October 17th, 2011 @ 5:20pm CDT
wigglez323 wrote:We've found proof. And you still deny it.

Hasbro denied it months before any of those clips.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301793)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on October 17th, 2011 @ 5:22pm CDT
This post may contain Transformers: Prime spoilers, so don't read any further if you don't want them to be spoiled. Also, I dunno how to black out my text so yeah.

Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301799)
Posted by Shadowman on October 17th, 2011 @ 5:34pm CDT
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:In TF: Prime, they say that Megatron was a Gladiator and that Optimus admired him for his revolutionist thinking, and that Optimus was chosen to be Prime over Megatron. But none of that is mentioned in War For Cybertron. If they're trying to tie the continuities together, then they're leaving a few holes in the story. I understand that it can't be perfect, but I'm just nit-picky I guess.

Yeah. After being rejected, Megatron started his war, Optimus rejected the title of Prime, then later accepted it, then in TF:P they specifically mention the mission "To The Core" from WfC.

Problem is, there's holes no matter what you believe in. Hasbro says it's based on TF:P, High Moon later claimed otherwise, but then High Moon tends to lie to us.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301801)
Posted by BLUDGEON on October 17th, 2011 @ 5:37pm CDT
Shadowman wrote:

http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/ ... ron/18531/

Watch the video..

EDIT:

BLUDGEON wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhM5mVAc3QE&feature=related

At 1:51....

*High fives Wigglez323*

Sorry fella, it doesn't matter what Hasbro said, it was originally designed around G1 at its core. This is what the designers had in mind. Prove to me that it wasnt...
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301807)
Posted by Wigglez on October 17th, 2011 @ 5:44pm CDT
Well, like I said. It doesn't really matter what cartoon this game belongs to. It's just what happened before they came to Earth. I just can't wait 'till I get to play the Bruticus level.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301816)
Posted by BLUDGEON on October 17th, 2011 @ 6:19pm CDT
True, its even from the mouth of Tieger a natural successor as opposed to a sequel.

anyway I cant wait to play it, I wonder how different it will be. Apparently there is only one ability button. Seems like its going to be a fairly big change from WFC.
Re: Transformers: Fall of Cybertron Game Director Matt Tieger Interview (1301824)
Posted by SirSoundwaveIV on October 17th, 2011 @ 6:44pm CDT
Wait.

Waitwaitwait.

Did someone just honestly say it didn't matter what Hasbro said about Transformers?

It's called word of god, it doesn't matter what it was intended to be, it matters what Hasbro says it is. Prime pretty much summed up Megatron poisoning the core and Optimus going down there to try and find a solution (no Ironhide/Warpath though), and I don't see Dark Energon floating around in any other continuity. These events were major parts of both the novel and this game, and ties both solidly together with Prime.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Head Robots Transformers Hot Head Duro-5 Military assault Driver parts" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS Fall of Cybertron DELUXE Autobot Air Raid Instructions" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PRIME  BEAST HUNTERS  SOUNDWAVE WITH MINI RAVAGE   NIP" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Generations Power Of The Primes POTP Deluxe MOONRACER Figure NEW!" on EBAY
Buy "Beast Wars - Transmetals:  OPTIMAL OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Figure Exc Cond" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Wars Punch-Counterpunch MIB" on EBAY
Buy "DECEPTICON BERSERKER PREMIER EDITION TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron NetFlix Series AUTOBOT ELITA-1 NIB!" on EBAY