Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website

Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website

Wednesday, July 18th, 2007 12:35pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, People News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 24,828

The Transformers Movie's "lead robot illustrator", Ben Procter, sent us an email early this morning to let us know that he has updated his website to include a new section about the Transformers project. Here's an excerpt from his website:

"Designing robots for the Transformers movie was literally a dream job for me. As a kid, I collected robot toys from a variety of anime, pored over the pages of Hobby Japan, drew lots of robots, and of course loved the Transformers cartoon. Never did I imagine that I'd one day get to help develop characters for the live-action giant robot movie I so badly wished would exist. I'm truly grateful to Jeff Mann [Production Designer] and Michael Bay [Director] for giving me the chance to rekindle a childhood passion on such an inspiring scale. And I'm in genuine awe of the finished movie's robot action, which culminates the hard word of so many talented concept design, previs and VFX artists (not to mention sound engineers). I've never been prouder to have worked on a film."

Ben has also worked on several other major motion pictures such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Superman Returns and The Terminal. You can view his IMDB.com entry by clicking here.

Check out his website to view 15 new pages of content that include many of Ben's incredible artwork at BenProcter.com. Enjoy!

Ben Procter - Lead Robot Illustrator on the Transformers Movie

Thank you for contacting Seibertron.com, Ben!

Credit(s): Ben Procter (Lead Robot Illustrator on Transformers Movie)

This article was last modified on Wednesday, July 18th, 2007 12:41pm CDT

Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229292)
Posted by Ramrider on July 18th, 2007 @ 12:54pm CDT
...and, likely thanks to this article, he's now exceeded his bandwidth...
Bandwidth limits suck.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229295)
Posted by Sideshow Sideswipe on July 18th, 2007 @ 12:54pm CDT
link is dead too. bandwidth exceeded.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229302)
Posted by OptimusShr on July 18th, 2007 @ 12:55pm CDT
1337W422102 wrote:So HE'S the one who designed the new robots? In that case, the updates to his site better be an apology.

...geez, tough crowd.

Can we PLEASE stop beating this dead horse?
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229307)
Posted by Robinson on July 18th, 2007 @ 12:57pm CDT
Theres already 2 topics on this website.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229315)
Posted by Seibertron on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:00pm CDT
Devil Gundam wrote:

...geez, tough crowd.

Can we PLEASE stop beating this dead horse?

I 100% agree. Being crude and bashing the artist in this thread won't be tolerated. This is a real human being who has worked his ass off during the past 2 or 3 years working on the Transformers Movie. He's stepped out of the shadows of the movie to send us an email about the artwork on his website. If you don't like his work, then please move along. Inappropriate posts will simply be deleted from this thread out of respect for Ben. He doesn't deserve to be treated poorly.

If you have dislike some of his designs, then think before you post/write/speak and post a piece of constructive criticism instead of simply being rude and inappropriate. The Seibertron.com community is above that type of poor behavior. Real human being here, my friends ... please be nice.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229331)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:05pm CDT
We killed it...

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229353)
Posted by Sideshow Sideswipe on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:11pm CDT
sorry for my derogatory comments.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229354)
Posted by Starscream on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:11pm CDT
ahahah he got Dugg!!!!
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229369)
Posted by Scaleface on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:16pm CDT
No need to apologize for saying the designs suck. They still suck and we can still say so. I don't feel bad in saying so.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229370)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:16pm CDT
Maybe he can tell me were in the hell Barricades con emblem goes when he transforms into robot mode.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229371)
Posted by Robinson on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:16pm CDT
I like that it shows that they did attempt g1 based designs that so many people "claimed" they didnt even bother with. It also shows that they would not have worked as well in the frame of this movie.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229384)
Posted by tile_mcgillus on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:20pm CDT
I got a chance to see this website before it got killed by the bandwidth monster. Now, while I disagree with the direction chosen for the movie designs you can recognize the skill. This guy really is a genius artist and I for one appreciate his contribution. It would be great if he could post up alot more of the "early stage" drawings I would love to see them. I would love to see his version of G1 Optimus Prime and Bumblebee!
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229392)
Posted by 1337W422102 on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:23pm CDT
I thought by the 'geez, tough crowd,' you'd realize I was joking.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229400)
Posted by Tazirai on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:29pm CDT
I think he did an excellent job on the designs. It was good to see he attempted do at least do some G1 era stuff. but like many have said in context of this movie. It wouldnt have worked well. I do wish people who complain about the designs post their own designs, so we can see What their robots would look like. :P :P
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229405)
Posted by decepticonjon on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:31pm CDT
Tazirai wrote:It wouldnt have worked well.

just playing devil's advocate.. but why? i keep hearing it wouldn't of worked.. but why? honestly?
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229412)
Posted by 1337W422102 on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:35pm CDT
decepticonjon wrote:
Tazirai wrote:It wouldnt have worked well.

There was even fan artwork I've seen that blends the movie's 'everything's gotta move somewhere' ideology with the classic 'boxy' look, and it DOES work. The panels move into place to from rectangular prisms and stuff, but there are gaps and you can see tech detail underneath. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the picture I'm talking about, but I found it in the Kitbash/Fan Art Forum.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229416)
Posted by decepticonjon on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:38pm CDT
1337W422102 wrote:
decepticonjon wrote:
Tazirai wrote:It wouldnt have worked well.

i'm pretty sure i've seen what you're talking about.. can't find it off the top of my head.. but i jsut don't see how it couldn't work after seeing the tranformations in this movie, expecially frenzy being a boom box and going to insect humanoid thingy - which bends to the theory that they can really shape whatever shape into whatever they want. so even being more blockier, it wouldn't have really mattered.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229417)
Posted by Briggs on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:39pm CDT
It could have worked, but everyone that saw the movie, TF fan or not, it would instantly recognize them as bots from the cartoon. (Not a bad thing).

As stated before, they wanted them to look realistic. You could make movie versions of G1, be super cool and *realistic* looking, but people who have seen Transformers atleast once would automatically relate them to a cartoon, it's just a brain function thing!

My own view, I've been watching Transformers characters in cartoon mode for 20+ years, I want something different (movie bots/designs), not similar cartoon robot designs. (Ie not chunky and blocky, I have no problem expanding the Transformer universe to look liek something that isnt G1 or Aramada or that stuff, hence why I loved Beast Wars/Machines)
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229459)
Posted by tile_mcgillus on July 18th, 2007 @ 1:55pm CDT
Here is a G1 design transforming in motion and running...

Just a few guys did this...

Not saying it is the "end all, be all" but imagine if ILM went that direction.
Re: Transformers Movie's Lead Robot Illustrator updates his website (229476)
Posted by Tigertrack on July 18th, 2007 @ 2:00pm CDT
Like that video, and I remember seeing it before. It's wicked!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Trypticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Titan Changer Megatron Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #277 - Daring to Be Stupid
"Daring to Be Stupid"
Posted: Sunday, May 30th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Commemorative Series 9 Ricochet 2004 NO NIGHTSTICK TRU Excl EX Cond" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects TURTLER / SNAPTRAP Takara TT-GS03 New in Box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Selects G2 Megatron, Netflix Hotlink Target Red Wing" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G1 Scorponok shield original" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege: War for Cybertron Deluxe Class Autobot Chromia Brand New" on EBAY