Transformers News: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall

Wednesday, July 3rd, 2019 1:43AM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Press Releases
Posted by: Stargrave   Views: 28,831

To commemorate the 35th anniversary of Transformers TakaraTomy Mall is releasing a G1 Optimus Prime with a G1 styled recolor/repaint of Studio Series #38 Optimus Prime in a two pack! This version has fast become a fan favorites after it debuted in Bumblebee last year and is now presented with his original release counterpart. Unfortunately neither cab comes with Prime's iconic trailer. The item is currently listed at $100.00US (10,800Y).

Read the product info from TakaraTomy Mall:
"Beyond the time of 35 years, the original and the latest commander appeared in the set.
Shipped with the pkg image at the time of the nostalgic release of the original convoy that appeared 35 years ago, reproduce the design with a header the image of the car robot format at the time.
Optimus Prime studio series version that appeared in the latest movie, g1 toy version changed the color specification based on the image."

And for that image just check out the pics below. We're also treated to a modern update of Prime's classic box art, this time using the Studio Series Optimus as the model. Be sure to notice new paint details like the red on Studio Prime's torso, the blue on the backs of his hands, the lack of black on his shoulder crests and certain ahem, other areas lacking paint that was present on the original release.

Enjoy the views and share your thoughts with the Seibertron crew in the forums! As always stay tuned to Seibertron for the ultimate in Transformers news.

Credit(s): TakaraTomy Mall
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027262)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 3rd, 2019 @ 2:46am CDT
Comparison pix --

it's weird how the original deco didn't have any Autobot symbols. But the biggest improvement is the blue paint on his crutch. Like with SIEGE, it was obviously sculpted but left unpainted.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027264)
Posted by frogbat on July 3rd, 2019 @ 3:03am CDT
I like both of them as I still very much need the g1 prime and really dig the studio series one. Siege commitments stopped me before however.

the packaging doesn't look like a two pack - which tbh might be better, however I'd rather have had the studio series in a bumblebee movie theme package more than the g1 style.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027265)
Posted by Zeedust on July 3rd, 2019 @ 3:21am CDT
TF-fan kev777 wrote:Actually the more complicated engineering needed might be what is holding back the height. The taller you go, the more top-heavy it will become, which in turn means the feet have to be bigger for stability, which in turn throws off scale for the leg bots. My guess is that what we are ending up with was the best balance of scale and weight management they could come up with while still fitting things into their size class system.

I think even without the weight/stability concerns, needing to fit things into the size class size system might be enough in and of itself.

Still, the bigger and more impressive this thing is, the better. $260 is a pretty steep price to ask for someone who couldn't even manage to kill Skids and Mudflap. :P (Seriously, for the all the hype he got in the merchandising, Devastator was pretty much useless in the movie. I was disappointed.)

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
Nemesis Primal wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:And bear in mind, we still haven't seen Scavenger, Mixmaster, or Overload yet.

Or Scrapper.

I wonder how long he'll be as an arm... in other words, if Devastator will have arms of different lengths to add to his hodgepodge appearance :lol:

I doubt it. In the movie, he supported himself on all fours, so I'd imagine his arms are about the same length. (I'm tying to find some decent screencaps so I can check, but the process is going rather tediously at the moment.) I can't really imagine why they'd make them uneven. if we're really lucky, maybe they'll give this thing some neck articulation so it can look forwards if it's posed on all fours.

JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:I also wonder who's gonna be the meat in the torso sandwich. :oops:

According to the chart in Scrapmetal's instructions, Mixmaster will be the head, Scavenger will be the upper torso, and Overload will be the lower torso. So technically Scavenger, although it looks more like Scavenger and Overload are two scoops of ice cream and Mixmaster is the cherry on top.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027275)
Posted by primalxconvoy on July 3rd, 2019 @ 7:56am CDT
Lol, not at that price. What a ripoff.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027278)
Posted by Sabrblade on July 3rd, 2019 @ 8:40am CDT
The 2-pack is called "Convoy & Optimus Prime Set".

The Convoy reissue included in this set is basically the same as Hasbro's recent Walmart exclusive Vintage G1 reissue, complete with both guns and no trailer, but with the text on the packaging changed from resembling the classic English packaging to the classic Japanese packaging.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027280)
Posted by carytheone on July 3rd, 2019 @ 9:02am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:it's weird how the original deco didn't have any Autobot symbols.
That's what it was that was weird looking about SS-38. Well repro to the rescue.

It's weird, I like somethings better and somethings less. The blue crotch and back of hands, yes; the torso no. It's a fantastic mold regardless.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027283)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 3rd, 2019 @ 9:23am CDT
Love, Cap'n Obvious wrote:

Except maybe for the yellow markings on his arms I think I like everything better on the new edition. But not enough to go through the whole rigmarole of replacing it. And like you said it's a great mold regardless. (Even if sometimes parts pop out, sigh! His head base and the snakes on his shoulders could have used pins or something..)
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027288)
Posted by carytheone on July 3rd, 2019 @ 9:37am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:
Love, Cap'n Obvious wrote:

I just noticed the yellow arrows, that is a nice touch.

Get these monkey fighting snakes off my Monday to Friday shoulders! :lol: I like those painted as well. I also like the darker grey plastic used on SS-38, but the painted hip flaps look better in the alt mode of this new exclusive.

So with enough money and some parts swapping, one could have the ultimate Bee Prime or just wait for the inevitable MP ;)
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027294)
Posted by G1OPT1MU5PR1M3 on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:02am CDT
I prefer the original studio series. Even though I like the autobot symbol, I had to put my own, but I'm really irritated by this new release not having any chrome
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027295)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:04am CDT

Still, having already G1 Optimus, I wish there were a cheaper version with the SS special Geewun Optimus alone.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027297)
Posted by carytheone on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:22am CDT
Hey G1OPT1MU5PR1M3 that trailer looks nice, which Prime did SS-38 steal that from? A little silver on the wheels and it'd be a perfect match.

Well curiosity got the better of my cat and I slapped some stickers on Bee Prime. Not sure about the clown nose though. I do like the "mass shifting" shoulder symbol, even if the placement is a little sketchy 8-}

-Kanrabat- wrote:That Takara 2-pack is one hell of a NEAT special edition. Contrary to a 200$ gold G1 Prime stuck on a base with a pile of cardboard, this 2 pack is legit awesome. The box of the special SS Optimus is pure genius!
The box is almost worth the price of admission ;)^
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027299)
Posted by Scramjet on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:28am CDT
Nice mass shifting CarytheObvious!
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027301)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:30am CDT
Yeah! Just added the Autobot tattoo to his shoulder, too!

Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027303)
Posted by carytheone on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:31am CDT
Scramjet wrote:Nice mass shifting CarytheObvious!
More like oblivious, amiright? 8-}

Nice shoulder tat, CP. Did our Primes go out drinking last night and make bad decisions?
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027304)
Posted by Scramjet on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:33am CDT
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027308)
Posted by carytheone on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:36am CDT
Scramjet wrote:Ooooooh I like Cyberpath's better. Sorry Cary. Cartoon detail vs normal correct?
That's Captain to you [-(

I like his better too, but I like the size and centering of mine better. I used what I had. Guess it's time to go to toyhax and place an order. Been wanting some of those pricey silver outline stickers for a while anyway.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027309)
Posted by Scramjet on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:40am CDT
I'll Captain you!!

Also, yeah, yours being smaller centers more with that giant tab. I sees it.

And, I want that Takara 2 pack, for the boxes alone!! And also since I don't have SS38 yet.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027311)
Posted by Cyberpath on July 3rd, 2019 @ 10:44am CDT
Love, Cap'n Obvious wrote:
Scramjet wrote:Nice mass shifting CarytheObvious!
More like oblivious, amiright? 8-}

Tattoos are so cool. ;_;

Thanks!

Love, Cap'n Obvious wrote:That's Captain to you [-(

I actually almost picked the same size symbol as yours, but I remember it being prominent in the cartoon so went a little bigger. Will do the cab one next time he's transformed.
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027320)
Posted by carytheone on July 3rd, 2019 @ 11:30am CDT
Cyberpath wrote:Will do the cab one next time he's transformed.
Well I just TF'd him back to bot, and found a fatal flaw in the design. I forgot which way that peg hole is used - split roast.

So time to move, remove or reduce :-?
Re: Transformers Studio Series Optimus Prime 38 with G1 Optimus Prime Reissue Through TakaraTomy Mall (2027323)
Posted by LeAwesome1 on July 3rd, 2019 @ 11:52am CDT
My Studio Series Long Haul arrived in the mail today. Its a very good figure, but my only complaint is that it has a really wobbly waist, which sadly is Devastators ankle joint. Hopefully the weight of the rest of Devastator will hold it in place, but its still disappointing. Aside from that, amazing!

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #234 - Hell in a Cel
"Hell in a Cel"
Posted: Sunday, November 10th, 2019

Buy "Transformers COGMAN Studio Series #39 & STEELBANE Deluxe Premier Edition Figures" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations SCOURGE "SWEEPS" MISB RARE! 3 X Army Builder Set" on EBAY
Buy " Transformers Universe Ratchet Deluxe Generations Autobot Warriors Henkei" on EBAY
Buy "Micromaster Ironworks Crane Base G1 Transformers 1989 Vintage Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Scourge" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS 2010 Universal Dominator UNICRON & Creator PRIMUS Takara MIB G1" on EBAY
Buy "Topshot and Flak Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Micromasters Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations RATTRAP Deluxe Figure MOSC Beast Wars 2014 Thrilling 30" on EBAY