This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review"

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review"

Sunday, January 8th, 2023 10:10AM CST

Categories: Site News, Digital Media News, Podcast
Posted by: megatronus   Views: 70,591

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast is looking back on the best and worst the world of Transformers had to offer in 2022. Join host ScottyP, Megatronus, Kuhlio, and Aaaarnhide19 as we pin down 2022 superlatives across toys, media, and more.

Episode #316 “2022 Year in Review” is available directly and in our RSS Feed, and should appear on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher Radio and many other Podcatcher sites within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

Here are the categories we discuss in this episode:

  • Objectively, the best Transformers toy of the year?
  • Subjectively, our favorite Transformers toy of the year?
  • Best / favorite media (comic, TV, etc.) of the year?

    Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review"

  • Worst Transformers toy of the year?
  • Worst Transformers... anything... of the year?
  • "Most 2020 Transformers Moment" of 2022, personal or otherwise?

    Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review"

  • Biggest collecting achievement of the year? (i.e., a cool acquisition, hitting a major milestone, etc.)
  • Staff member and gadfly D-Maximal_Primal asks: "would you guys mind doing a Top 10 purchases of 2022 on the Twincast, basically the same way the article I just did describes it?" We'll do 2-3, how's that?

    Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review"

  • 2023 Prediction: Sure Thing/Layup/This-is-Definitely-Going-to-Happen/WEAK SAUCE?
  • 2023 Prediction: Wishful Thinking/Hot Take/Never-Gonna-Happen/BOLD STRONG MOVE?

    Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review"

  • We wrap up the show with everyone's favorite segment: Bragging Rights.

    Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review"


|Love us? Hate us? Extra Super Love us? Drop us a review on Apple Podcasts or on your favorite podcatcher. |
| Want to keep the discussion going? You can do so by simply replying to this post! |
| Got a question for the Twincast? Ask the Twincast. |

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153290)
Posted by kurthy on January 8th, 2023 @ 4:38pm CST
He was the BOMB in Phantoms!
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153293)
Posted by kurthy on January 8th, 2023 @ 6:04pm CST
Do you think Haslabs are also market research that they can show Walmart, Amazon, and Target when they're approached about exclusives and what not as well as the regular line? Especially since we've lost two major retailers since Combiner Wars came out, they're probably working more closely with the big 3 when making decisions.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153296)
Posted by megatronus on January 8th, 2023 @ 7:01pm CST
kurthy wrote:Do you think Haslabs are also market research that they can show Walmart, Amazon, and Target when they're approached about exclusives and what not as well as the regular line? Especially since we've lost two major retailers since Combiner Wars came out, they're probably working more closely with the big 3 when making decisions.

I don't think HasLab will ever be *relevant* market research for the big retailers, because one of the main thrusts of HasLab is to pursue big projects that would be too risky for retailers to stock their shelves with.

The prepaid, made-to-order aspects of a HasLab are designed to combat the tendency of big ticket items to clearance out at retailers. Whatever the success of a HasLab, the model simply isn't compatible with the way big box companies do business.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153297)
Posted by kurthy on January 8th, 2023 @ 7:15pm CST
megatronus wrote:I don't think HasLab will ever be *relevant* market research for the big retailers, because one of the main thrusts of HasLab is to pursue big projects that would be too risky for retailers to stock their shelves with.

The prepaid, made-to-order aspects of a HasLab are designed to combat the tendency of big ticket items to clearance out at retailers. Whatever the success of a HasLab, the model simply isn't compatible with the way big box companies do business.

I don't mean as far as the price point, but for character selection in lines. To be able to say we shipped 27k of this character from a Japanese continuity and this is why we're including this other Japanese character in this line. Or why we're including more decepticons in this line rather than just a few.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153299)
Posted by megatronus on January 8th, 2023 @ 7:37pm CST
kurthy wrote:
megatronus wrote:I don't think HasLab will ever be *relevant* market research for the big retailers, because one of the main thrusts of HasLab is to pursue big projects that would be too risky for retailers to stock their shelves with.

The prepaid, made-to-order aspects of a HasLab are designed to combat the tendency of big ticket items to clearance out at retailers. Whatever the success of a HasLab, the model simply isn't compatible with the way big box companies do business.

I don't mean as far as the price point, but for character selection in lines. To be able to say we shipped 27k of this character from a Japanese continuity and this is why we're including this other Japanese character in this line. Or why we're including more decepticons in this line rather than just a few.

I see what you're saying - I don't think that comes into play when you talk to retailers. The way buyers at these companies asses product lines, it's much less about individual characters in the mainline, and more what exclusive sub-lines Hasbro can offer to draw people into the store. Keep in mind, these toy buyers are not Transformers experts. I can almost guarantee that no buyer challenged the Hasbro seller about the inclusion of Leo Convoy in the Legacy: Evolution lineup. Walmart was much more interested in what the Velocitron subline would include, or whether they should continue with their Beast Wars reissue exclusives based on their performance the last 12 months.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153301)
Posted by kurthy on January 8th, 2023 @ 8:29pm CST
megatronus wrote:
kurthy wrote:
megatronus wrote:I don't think HasLab will ever be *relevant* market research for the big retailers, because one of the main thrusts of HasLab is to pursue big projects that would be too risky for retailers to stock their shelves with.

The prepaid, made-to-order aspects of a HasLab are designed to combat the tendency of big ticket items to clearance out at retailers. Whatever the success of a HasLab, the model simply isn't compatible with the way big box companies do business.

I don't mean as far as the price point, but for character selection in lines. To be able to say we shipped 27k of this character from a Japanese continuity and this is why we're including this other Japanese character in this line. Or why we're including more decepticons in this line rather than just a few.

I see what you're saying - I don't think that comes into play when you talk to retailers. The way buyers at these companies asses product lines, it's much less about individual characters in the mainline, and more what exclusive sub-lines Hasbro can offer to draw people into the store. Keep in mind, these toy buyers are not Transformers experts. I can almost guarantee that no buyer challenged the Hasbro seller about the inclusion of Leo Convoy in the Legacy: Evolution lineup. Walmart was much more interested in what the Velocitron subline would include, or whether they should continue with their Beast Wars reissue exclusives based on their performance the last 12 months.


Thanks, interesting. So who decides case counts because of the scuttlebutt around Cosmos was that Walmart decided to shortpack him, not Hasbro and that the TF team didn't even know? Is that correct, or did I misunderstand something?
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153419)
Posted by kuhlio on January 10th, 2023 @ 7:45am CST
kurthy wrote:
megatronus wrote:
kurthy wrote:
megatronus wrote:I don't think HasLab will ever be *relevant* market research for the big retailers, because one of the main thrusts of HasLab is to pursue big projects that would be too risky for retailers to stock their shelves with.

The prepaid, made-to-order aspects of a HasLab are designed to combat the tendency of big ticket items to clearance out at retailers. Whatever the success of a HasLab, the model simply isn't compatible with the way big box companies do business.

I don't mean as far as the price point, but for character selection in lines. To be able to say we shipped 27k of this character from a Japanese continuity and this is why we're including this other Japanese character in this line. Or why we're including more decepticons in this line rather than just a few.

I see what you're saying - I don't think that comes into play when you talk to retailers. The way buyers at these companies asses product lines, it's much less about individual characters in the mainline, and more what exclusive sub-lines Hasbro can offer to draw people into the store. Keep in mind, these toy buyers are not Transformers experts. I can almost guarantee that no buyer challenged the Hasbro seller about the inclusion of Leo Convoy in the Legacy: Evolution lineup. Walmart was much more interested in what the Velocitron subline would include, or whether they should continue with their Beast Wars reissue exclusives based on their performance the last 12 months.


Thanks, interesting. So who decides case counts because of the scuttlebutt around Cosmos was that Walmart decided to shortpack him, not Hasbro and that the TF team didn't even know? Is that correct, or did I misunderstand something?



I feel like the buyers really do not have much worry in the case breakdown for what they would consider "filler" characters. I think that Leo Prime made it into the mix more because retailers are wanting the Optimus Prime presence on the shelf and that figure fills that void.

I feel like the glut of Bumblebees is a permanent knee jerk reaction to the 2007 movie. I can remember seeing moms drastically looking bumblebee and not seeing either the 1977 nor the "brand new" at the time Camero Bee in stores. Since then they have made it a point to keep Bee and Prime in circulation.

For Cosmos- I think it was just an oversite. Perhaps the Walmart buyer just figured a strange UFO would not sell well against the racing vehicles- not knowing the collector side. I could even see this being the rational for the the short packing of the sideswipe repaint (sorry I cant remember name) thinking that the mold has already been so plentiful. I think Hasbro now has more collectors in mind as opposed to previous years, however the store buyers are still in command for major portions of case breakdowns- but this is all from the outside lookin in, and just personal assumption.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153928)
Posted by ScottyP on January 17th, 2023 @ 7:38am CST
Everyone else: has a thoughtful conversation.

Me: hehe -

megatronus wrote:The way buyers at these companies asses product lines, it's much less about individual characters in the mainline, and more what exclusive sub-lines Hasbro can offer to draw people into the store.
He said "asses" product lines :lol:
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153931)
Posted by kuhlio on January 17th, 2023 @ 8:28am CST
Wow--- definitely forget the extra s- one of those times where spell check cant save one of your assessments!
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2153933)
Posted by Emerje on January 17th, 2023 @ 9:13am CST
megatronus wrote:
kurthy wrote:
megatronus wrote:I don't think HasLab will ever be *relevant* market research for the big retailers, because one of the main thrusts of HasLab is to pursue big projects that would be too risky for retailers to stock their shelves with.

The prepaid, made-to-order aspects of a HasLab are designed to combat the tendency of big ticket items to clearance out at retailers. Whatever the success of a HasLab, the model simply isn't compatible with the way big box companies do business.

I don't mean as far as the price point, but for character selection in lines. To be able to say we shipped 27k of this character from a Japanese continuity and this is why we're including this other Japanese character in this line. Or why we're including more decepticons in this line rather than just a few.

I see what you're saying - I don't think that comes into play when you talk to retailers. The way buyers at these companies asses product lines, it's much less about individual characters in the mainline, and more what exclusive sub-lines Hasbro can offer to draw people into the store. Keep in mind, these toy buyers are not Transformers experts. I can almost guarantee that no buyer challenged the Hasbro seller about the inclusion of Leo Convoy in the Legacy: Evolution lineup. Walmart was much more interested in what the Velocitron subline would include, or whether they should continue with their Beast Wars reissue exclusives based on their performance the last 12 months.

I just want to point out that Hasbro pays attention to what figures perform well and how they might be able to cash in on that success. I don't think figure with a name as generic as "Galaxy Shuttle" would have been greenlit if they didn't have tangible proof from Victory Saber that English fans are interested in Victory. Likewise back at Pulse Con when they were announcing the winners for the Transformers fan vote it was pointed out that Motormaster beat Jhiaxus by less than 150 votes, which caused Evan from the marketing team to visibly recoil and say "yeah, G2 comic book lore stuff. Yeah, OK, interesting, we'll have to do some more." Of course there's no telling if that'll actually happen, but if we see Rook and/or Mindset or a giant monstrous Liege Maximo in a future line we'll know why.

Emerje
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2154058)
Posted by ScottyP on January 19th, 2023 @ 9:13am CST
Emerje wrote:Likewise back at Pulse Con when they were announcing the winners for the Transformers fan vote it was pointed out that Motormaster beat Jhiaxus by less than 150 votes, which caused Evan from the marketing team to visibly recoil and say "yeah, G2 comic book lore stuff. Yeah, OK, interesting, we'll have to do some more."
The dangerous thing here is that's the totally wrong lesson to learn from Jhiaxus' success, in my opinion. He's iconic for that era (at least for those of us around back then) and never had a proper toy, but is probably about as deep as things need to go for the G2 comic in the main line. I think what Jhiaxus shows is that even 1) only somewhat recognizable characters for the fanbase at-large with 2) significant roles in fiction that 3) never had toys representing that appearance well are ripe for success in the current market environment.

Jhiaxus is, for me, the counterpoint to the sometimes unnecessary repaints based on repaints that never were/were only once/etc (thinking of stuff like Nightprowler here.) A toy deco that never was or barely was without any actual character behind it is generally kinda bleh, assuming it's not on the originally intended toy. A character that existed without a toy behind it? That's money.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2154064)
Posted by kurthy on January 19th, 2023 @ 9:48am CST
ScottyP wrote:The dangerous thing here is that's the totally wrong lesson to learn from Jhiaxus' success, in my opinion. He's iconic for that era (at least for those of us around back then) and never had a proper toy, but is probably about as deep as things need to go for the G2 comic in the main line. I think what Jhiaxus shows is that even 1) only somewhat recognizable characters for the fanbase at-large with 2) significant roles in fiction that 3) never had toys representing that appearance well are ripe for success in the current market environment.

Jhiaxus is, for me, the counterpoint to the sometimes unnecessary repaints based on repaints that never were/were only once/etc (thinking of stuff like Nightprowler here.) A toy deco that never was or barely was without any actual character behind it is generally kinda bleh, assuming it's not on the originally intended toy. A character that existed without a toy behind it? That's money.

Ok, but can we still get some European g1/G2 repaints like m*** thunderclash, clench, and stalker?
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2154196)
Posted by ScottyP on January 22nd, 2023 @ 10:15am CST
I sure hope so, but outside of Skyquake I'm not getting my hopes up ><
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #316 "2022 Year in Review" (2155864)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 12th, 2023 @ 11:20am CST
Whoever said Laser Prime (still trying to get the new guys names to voices straight) was a weak ass mold, amen brother. I only got Scourge from the mold, and it was so disappointing to have. I just don't like him that much.

And as for Knockout, I agree, he is pretty lame too. He just does not capture the Knockout vibe at all, the alt mode is the only part that says Knockout.

I totally feel Scotty on IDW2019. there were a couple moments I liked, such as the annual with Computron and the Devastator story, but outside that, it was sadly forgettable.

Retrax's preorder selling out was hilarious. I was one of those that preordered and got him too. I adore that weird little bug.

The peg on my Star Saber that allows his Saber jet hood to actually function was filled, so I cannot transform the little saber properly. It was one of the wider spread QC issues too. That was one of the reasons that ultimately soured me on it, i just don't really like my Star Saber much. I like Victory Leo, but Star Saber has kinda just faded for me.

Scotty, how dare you chop down my question! unacceptable, unfollowed, never listening again.

Kidding, top 2 works, that question probably should have been saved, but I glad to hear the discussion that did happen.

That Crazybolt/Obi-wan tidbit was awesome to learn, learn something new every day.

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2023 1D GI JOE 1023IM262 (CA) Epting"
DUKE #1 Cvr D 1:25 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #3 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 3D 0124IM241 Petraites + Martin"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #303 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 1123IM282 303B (CA)Kubert"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE SNAKE EYES DEADGAME #1 2nd ptg IDW Comics 2020 JUN208405 (A/CA) Liefeld"
GI JOE SNAKE EYES ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero SERPENTOR UNCOILED One-Shot IDW Comics 2021 231113"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #2 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 2D 1223IM262 (CA) ACO"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE EUROPEAN MISSIONS #8 Marvel Comics 1989 (CA) Braithwaite 220721B"
GI JOE EUROPEAN MI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #304 Cvr A Image Comics 1223IM280 304A (CA) Kubert"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #2 2nd ptg Cvr A Duke Image Comics 2023 1023IM897 (CA) Howard"
TRANSFORMERS #2 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE COBRA WORLD ORDER PRELUDE #1 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2015 (CA) Mooney 230227"
GI JOE COBRA WORLD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr G blank sketch Image Comics 2023 1G GI JOE 1023IM265 (W) WIlliamson"
DUKE #1 Cvr G blan ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #305 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 0124IM260 305C (CA)Walker"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 2nd ptg Cvr A Rock N Roll Image Comics 2024 GI JOE 1123IM896 (CA) Howard"
DUKE #1 2nd ptg Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE AND THE TRANSFORMERS #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe 230915J"
GI JOE AND THE TRA ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Furos and Hardhead" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Bumblebee  (Chevrolet Camaro)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Krok and Gatorface" on AMAZON