Another Third-Party Megatron in Development?

Another Third-Party Megatron in Development?

Tuesday, March 20th, 2012 1:35pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Unlicensed Products News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 44,114

It looks as though Hegemon may have a little competition in the third-party Megatron department. From the wild world of ACToys we have renders and a prototype of another Classics styled Megatron. The watermarks on the images indicate a previously unheard of company called BoldToys is working on the project. The prototype is also shown posed next to G1 Megatron for scale purposes. The original poster lists it's height as 18 cc. Check out the images mirrored below.

Credit(s): ACToys

Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360402)
Posted by sky_fire12 on March 20th, 2012 @ 1:44pm CDT
This mold looks great!! i would love to have a Megatron that didn't have skinny legs and would be in scale with MP-10 Optimus :D
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360409)
Posted by G1 Legacy on March 20th, 2012 @ 1:50pm CDT
sky_fire12 wrote:

Agreed. I guess time will tell whether this will pan out. I like the Hegemon design too. I definatley havn't been satisfied with anything Hasbro has put out regarding Megatron this past decade. They must be too squeemish to make a realistic pistol b/c of the whole kid market etc. Understandable. This alone is an argument for the need of 3rd party to pick up the slack for adult collectors.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360410)
Posted by AutobotMR2 on March 20th, 2012 @ 1:57pm CDT
Honestly not too sure how to feel about this yet. I reserve my final judgement for when we get a finished product. And why did you have to mention Hegemon... :sad: :sad: :sad: My wallet (and wife) will not allow me to buy him. I guess Henkei Megs gets to keep his place on my shelf.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360413)
Posted by necr0blivion on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:06pm CDT
Interesting, but I am also anxiously awaiting Hegemon's release this Summer. They are very similar (maybe not height-wise) in design, but this version suffers from the skinny leg syndrome.

As for the MP-10 comparison, TakaraTomy may still release one down the line, or the version iGear solicited awhile (a long while?) back may come to fruition. Hegemon does not scale well with MP-10.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360418)
Posted by Blackstreak on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:19pm CDT
This one is looking closer to the cartoon rendition. I like it so far. I may even like it more than the first 3rd party take.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360422)
Posted by Requiem Prime on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:22pm CDT
This is very nice, but I think Hegemon does it better for me. And not because I'm already financially committed :P . I'd say Hegemon feels a little more classics vibe going on. This guy kinda strikes me as more the G1 toy evolved (if that makes any sense) Don't get me wrong, that's a pretty cool impression to give. And given his size he might even price more comfortably, but in my case he'd have to be way cheaper to warrant buying him too.

Or chromed up the wazoo.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360430)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 20th, 2012 @ 2:50pm CDT
I really like the look of this, but it appears to have no knee articulation. Poor articulation on a 3rd Party figure = no buy. It's not like it's hard to put a hinge in there.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360441)
Posted by gothsaurus on March 20th, 2012 @ 3:29pm CDT
wow, you're right. If that's the case, it might be a deal breaker for me as well. If I'm paying 3rd party prices, I do expect knees. [-(

Maybe they're reading these comments and can tweak the design? :-?
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360486)
Posted by Trikeboy on March 20th, 2012 @ 5:20pm CDT
Lets compare:

Robot

Gun

Impressions

This new has a lot of straight lines so it is very blocky. It looks like the legs telescope up and it doesn't have any knees. It also looks like the head is on a bar that swings up like previous Megatron's while Hegemon's head is stored in the body and flips up. Sizewise, it will be large Deluxe sized, where Hegemon will be the same size as Classics Megs.

In both modes Hegemon is the real winner here. Also, since we have color images of Hegemon, and all we have here are renders and a prototype, this new one is too little too late. I wish them luck with it but people wanting a G1 style Megatron for their Classics shelf will most likely get Hegemon
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360488)
Posted by Dead Metal on March 20th, 2012 @ 5:27pm CDT
Trikeboy wrote:Lets compare:

Robot

Gun

Impressions

Amen to that, Hegemon all the way.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360489)
Posted by gothsaurus on March 20th, 2012 @ 5:27pm CDT
looks like the legs are the only part of Hegemon that really stick out as losing. Hmmm. Hoping this new guy is just not posed well for the photos. We'll see.... :-?
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360495)
Posted by Stormrider on March 20th, 2012 @ 5:38pm CDT
Nto too bad. The transformation the legs look better and the alt mode is descent.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360514)
Posted by Slip?Stream on March 20th, 2012 @ 6:31pm CDT
looks nice overall, but I'm not liking the waist area for some reason (kinda looks like a big diaper)
Shoulder articulation may also be hindered or very limited depending on where the actual joint is.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360532)
Posted by Mykltron on March 20th, 2012 @ 7:20pm CDT
Looks like the articulation is about the same level of sophistication as G1. He can't spread his arms and has no knees.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360537)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on March 20th, 2012 @ 7:32pm CDT
not bad but needs work
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360542)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 20th, 2012 @ 7:52pm CDT
I do prefer the gun mode, leg shape and head sculpt of this new one, but otherwise, Hegemon is definitely better.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360545)
Posted by griftimus prime on March 20th, 2012 @ 7:59pm CDT
i have had hegemon preordered for a while now. and really? another megatron?
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360562)
Posted by Rated X on March 20th, 2012 @ 8:50pm CDT
I think Im gonna go with this new version over Hegemon. Just seeing this version next to G1 Megatron envokes the perfect scale to stand side by side with Henkei Prime. Hegemon appears to be much taller and almost like a mini-masterpiece scale. I like my commander figures taller than the deluxes, but not exaggerated. The seekers shouldnt be dwarfed.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360597)
Posted by MGrotusque on March 20th, 2012 @ 10:39pm CDT
Why would someone do ANOTHER Megartron...... :roll: Completely unnecessary.
Re: Another Third-Party Megatron in Development? (1360606)
Posted by President-prime on March 20th, 2012 @ 11:11pm CDT
Why another Megatron? Where there's money involve people will jump on the bandwagon. Is this what collector's want? I'm stickin to collecting toys I can afford.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #273 - Our Way to Oblivion
"Our Way to Oblivion"
Posted: Tuesday, April 6th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Chromia Comic New MIB NIB MOC 2014" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers - Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures Megatron & Grimlock - NIB!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cybertron Voyager Vector Prime 2005 and Cybertron Buzzsaw" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Takara Legends LG36 Soundwave" on EBAY
Buy "SCOURGE! Transformers Titans Return! Deluxe Class, Brand New!" on EBAY
Buy "Botcon 2013 TRANSFORMERS Machine Wars G1 Rainmakers Hotlink Single Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Titans Return Titan Master Skytread New Sealed" on EBAY
Buy "ThreeZero Studio ThreeA 3A Transformers Bumblebee Movie  DLX Diecast BLITZWING" on EBAY