Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads.

Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads.

Tuesday, July 31st, 2007 10:24am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Raymond T.   Views: 9,756

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The Daily Mail has posted an article on how advertisers have found other ways to advertise their products, since there is a ban on British TV advertising targeted at children. One of their examples is the advertising stragtegy used for Michael Bay's Transformers Movie. Advertisements for the movie was done using the internet. The movie Transformers had a six-figure deal with Microsoft to advertise on its digital network.

Credit(s): www.dailymail.co.uk


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255193)
Posted by Sideshow Sideswipe on July 31st, 2007 @ 10:26am CDT
Huh, microsoft has a digital network?
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255401)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on July 31st, 2007 @ 12:13pm CDT
So how are the kid toys advertised over there?
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255478)
Posted by wavelength on July 31st, 2007 @ 12:52pm CDT
great, yet again our 'elected' reresentatives in goverment have collapsed from pressure by pc thugs.

if the parents are stupid enough to give into whinging at such a level to seriously affect the kjids, well, the kids were doomed anyway.

and name ne a show or channel that aims at such a diverse group as 4 to 15 years of age.
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255482)
Posted by Cyber-Kun on July 31st, 2007 @ 12:53pm CDT
I had no idea in England it was illegal for kids commercials...
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255494)
Posted by Calenatarion on July 31st, 2007 @ 1:03pm CDT
Yeah, I thought that 'law' was implemented like 3 years ago, not sure though.
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255503)
Posted by microclone on July 31st, 2007 @ 1:07pm CDT
im not sure thats all products maybe just related to the films rating. Anyway not everything is that regulated, if im not mistaken it is only illegal to give a kid alcohol if they are under 5!! At 16 you can drink beer/wine in a pub as long as you are with a parent and it was bought by them for you, i think you also have to be eating a meal. so you can give a kid alcohol in your home as long as they are over 5 but DO NOT show them TF toys from the movie. its a funny old world.
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255648)
Posted by Sonray on July 31st, 2007 @ 2:29pm CDT
Megatron_Wolf wrote:So how are the kid toys advertised over there?


They dont.
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255735)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on July 31st, 2007 @ 3:16pm CDT
Sonray wrote:
Megatron_Wolf wrote:So how are the kid toys advertised over there?


They dont.


Wow. I never thought id hear kids toys couldnt be on TV. I think thats better. That way you dont have to hear the kids bitch and moan for the new toys that are on TV. They'll only know about it when they go to the store. It should be like that here in the states. It'll never happen because to many people make money off TV adds.
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255751)
Posted by Nemesis Cyberplex on July 31st, 2007 @ 3:22pm CDT
um....the only article I see is how they're banning junk food ads...dosen't say anything about toys, let alone Transformers.

...but even still, that's silly, & gives way to lazy parenting. Seriously, if you don't want your kid scarfin' down burgers then keep them the hell away from McDonald's. But don't expect the government to do your job for you.

....& this is coming from a parent whose kid watches a Ronald McDonald video virtually every day in daycare.

Megatron_wolf wrote:Wow. I never thought id hear kids toys couldnt be on TV. I think thats better. That way you dont have to hear the kids bitch and moan for the new toys that are on TV. They'll only know about it when they go to the store. It should be like that here in the states. It'll never happen because to many people make money off TV adds.
um...you realize you're saying this on a website dedicated to a line of toys that has been marketed since its beginning by what is virtually a series of 20-min toy commercials, right?
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255795)
Posted by stocky on July 31st, 2007 @ 3:38pm CDT
That's why it's called advertising. It's to make people aware that a certain product/service exists. It should not be illegal to target a specific market with advertisements (such as showing toy and cereal commercials on Nickelodeon, or feminine hygiene products on Lifetime). Without generalizing too much, the demographics that watch those networks are pretty well-known, especially to advertisers, so they know where to advertise if they want to sell something to a certain demographic. It's just the nature of business.

I know here in the States that in the next couple of years, cereal manufacturers will no longer be able to have anything on the boxes geared at grabbing a kid's attention because many parental groups have complaind about it (say goodbye to Tony the Tiger, Toucan Sam, and the rest of those characters). It seems really dumb to me that a parent cannot be responsible enough to just buy healthy foods for a child, or say no to a child that whines and cries for a particular toy. As Wavelength said, if the parents are unable to say no, and are just giving in to the demands of their children, then the children have much bigger problems ahead of them than having too many toys or eating too much Shrek cereal...
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255955)
Posted by 1337W422102 on July 31st, 2007 @ 5:11pm CDT
Sonray wrote:
Megatron_Wolf wrote:So how are the kid toys advertised over there?


They dont.

Not exactly, Sonny! Advertisement for toys are stretched out to 30 minutes and are called 'cartoons.'
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (255970)
Posted by Sonray on July 31st, 2007 @ 5:17pm CDT
1337W422102 wrote:
Sonray wrote:
Megatron_Wolf wrote:So how are the kid toys advertised over there?


They dont.

Not exactly, Sonny! Advertisement for toys are stretched out to 30 minutes and are called 'cartoons.'


Heh, well in that case yeah. But as far as a 20-second tv commercial goes....nada.

Infact i never noticed it before but now people mention it i havnt seen a toy advert in ages...

I didnt know it was banned...guess i wasnt paying attention to the fact that i hadnt seen a toy commercial on tv for ages as im not interested in toys i guess...
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (256030)
Posted by City Commander on July 31st, 2007 @ 5:46pm CDT
Sonray wrote:
Megatron_Wolf wrote:So how are the kid toys advertised over there?


They dont.


They don't my ass.

Transformer toys commercials have been on CN in the UK today at least 8 times.

Then again I guess more adults watch CN than kids :P

Why the hell did they dismantle Toonami!!!!!??
That channel had so many great cartoons on! Transformers, Megas XLR, Outlaw Star, Samurai Jack...
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (256069)
Posted by Nemesis Cyberplex on July 31st, 2007 @ 6:01pm CDT
The Master Blaster wrote:
Sonray wrote:
Megatron_Wolf wrote:So how are the kid toys advertised over there?


They dont.


They don't my ass.

Transformer toys commercials have been on CN in the UK today at least 8 times.

Then again I guess more adults watch CN than kids :P

Why the hell did they dismantle Toonami!!!!!??
That channel had so many great cartoons on! Transformers, Megas XLR, Outlaw Star, Samurai Jack...
Probably because they couldn't find anything new that was good. That & Dragonball ran its course.

......at least that's what's just about happened here in the states.
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (256103)
Posted by City Commander on July 31st, 2007 @ 6:15pm CDT
Yuck. Dragonball. I forgot about that turd.


Still, better than the crap they put on it now, under the name CN too. :BOOM:
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (256120)
Posted by i_amtrunks on July 31st, 2007 @ 6:19pm CDT
I thought the UK had a banning of Junk food advertisements aimed at children, much the same as what has been implemented here in Australia.

Although I would love to have kids toys ads banned here too, no more annoying ad for Slut/Bratz dolls and Pixel Chix.
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (256152)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on July 31st, 2007 @ 6:37pm CDT
Don't feel bad, the toy comercials normaly suck anyway!
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (256174)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on July 31st, 2007 @ 6:48pm CDT
i_amtrunks wrote:I thought the UK had a banning of Junk food advertisements aimed at children, much the same as what has been implemented here in Australia.

Although I would love to have kids toys ads banned here too, no more annoying ad for Slut/Bratz dolls and Pixel Chix.


:???: Pixel Chix :???:

Also, even without the current bans, My niece is not alowed to get Bratz, and if she does she can't open them.

I don't know if anyone recalls Mattel being forced to change the Barbie Doll about ten years ago because it set an unrealistic stereotype for girls.

Well these dam things must be the toymakers revenge!

:-?
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (256251)
Posted by 1337W422102 on July 31st, 2007 @ 7:26pm CDT
Liege Evilmus wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:I thought the UK had a banning of Junk food advertisements aimed at children, much the same as what has been implemented here in Australia.

Although I would love to have kids toys ads banned here too, no more annoying ad for Slut/Bratz dolls and Pixel Chix.


:???: Pixel Chix :???:

Also, even without the current bans, My niece is not alowed to get Bratz, and if she does she can't open them.

I don't know if anyone recalls Mattel being forced to change the Barbie Doll about ten years ago because it set an unrealistic stereotype for girls.

Well these dam things must be the toymakers revenge!

:-?

I think that by making the 'Skanz' dolls' heads so big, they can say that the figures are SD on purpose, and can get away with the unrealistic shapes.

I just hate people who market this shit to little girls. That's right, teach 'em to become whores at a young age. Show them that all they're good for is being a cocktease at the mall until they mature, at which point they belong in the kitchen. This kind of crap pisses of me off SO bad. Whatever happened to strong female characters girls marketed to young girls? I'm not sure if Scarlett, Lady Jaye, the Baroness or Jinx from GI Joe count, but there were strong proud women who didn't take crap and could kick anyone's ass.

Gaah, I don't know where I'm going with this, I just had to let it out. I'm sorry.
Re: Article On Advertisers Avoiding TV ads. (256326)
Posted by Liege Evilmus on July 31st, 2007 @ 8:09pm CDT
1337W422102 wrote:
Liege Evilmus wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:I thought the UK had a banning of Junk food advertisements aimed at children, much the same as what has been implemented here in Australia.

Although I would love to have kids toys ads banned here too, no more annoying ad for Slut/Bratz dolls and Pixel Chix.


:???: Pixel Chix :???:

Also, even without the current bans, My niece is not alowed to get Bratz, and if she does she can't open them.

I don't know if anyone recalls Mattel being forced to change the Barbie Doll about ten years ago because it set an unrealistic stereotype for girls.

Well these dam things must be the toymakers revenge!

:-?

I think that by making the 'Skanz' dolls' heads so big, they can say that the figures are SD on purpose, and can get away with the unrealistic shapes.

I just hate people who market this shit to little girls. That's right, teach 'em to become whores at a young age. Show them that all they're good for is being a cocktease at the mall until they mature, at which point they belong in the kitchen. This kind of crap pisses of me off SO bad. Whatever happened to strong female characters girls marketed to young girls? I'm not sure if Scarlett, Lady Jaye, the Baroness or Jinx from GI Joe count, but there were strong proud women who didn't take crap and could kick anyone's ass.

Gaah, I don't know where I'm going with this, I just had to let it out. I'm sorry.


My friend, I just can't agree more.

I have 4 sisters, and was raised to respect women so much to the point that I have stood in women's lib protests, so that young girls like my niece and her friends will be treated as equals when they come to age.

Don't get me wrong, the look is fine for the bar, but when it comes to the craddle, I have very strong reserves about these good aweful things!

VENT ALL YOU WANT!

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Insecticon Bombshell Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Blades Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titans Return Soundwave and Soundblaster" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
Twincast / Podcast #278:
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Netflix Chromia" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Hardhead - Headmasters Retro Generations Titans Deluxe Hasbro WFC" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Mirage - Netflix War For Cybertron Generations Titans Decepticon TK" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Trilogy HOTLINK Netflix Walmart Exclusive NEW MIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG52 MISSFIRE & Targetmaster Aimless Titans Return Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers WFC Netflix HOTLINK Seeker Used Complete w/Box + Instructions" on EBAY
Buy "LG21 Hardhead | Japanese Transformers Legends" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Chromedome COMPLETE, Great Condition" on EBAY