First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids

First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids

Thursday, February 25th, 2021 12:30am CST

Categories: Toy News, Digital Media News, Collectables
Posted by: Bounti76   Views: 36,274

Thanks to a tweet from the Twitter account of Honda Japan, of all accounts, we have our first look at the upcoming release of Masterpiece Skids! This actually makes sense when you take into account that Skids' altmode is a Honda, the City Turbo model to be exact. As you can see in the photos below, Skids looks to be far more toy accurate (right down to the shoulder detail looking like the stickers from the G1 toy) than has been the standard for the last several Masterpiece releases. Whether this is due to Skids' scant cartoon appearances, a change in direction for the line, or something else entirely remains to be seen. Enough chatter, feast your eyes on this prototype!

Transformers News: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids

Transformers News: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids

When translated, the tweet states that the images were published today (Thursday in Japan) in Figure King Magazine #277.

Now that we have our first clear look at the figure, what are you thinking? Is Skids now a must have? Holding out for the (inevitable) retool into Crosscut? Let us know what you think of these images below!

Credit(s): Figure King Magazine; Honda Japan

Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096407)
Posted by blackeyedprime on February 25th, 2021 @ 2:51am CST
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096410)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on February 25th, 2021 @ 3:58am CST
Well, that Skids does indeed look damn sweet.
But my wallet would prefer a normal Generations figure first.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096412)
Posted by ThunderThruster on February 25th, 2021 @ 5:41am CST
blackeyedprime wrote:Be nice if the tyres match, it's mp not wfc. Other than that he's looking good, just not over £80 good. If he's hotrod kinda price maybe, if he's hound or arcee price then third party might be my go to.

Agreed.

Is it wrong that I'm more interested in what re-deco's this will be released in?
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096413)
Posted by angtre on February 25th, 2021 @ 5:44am CST
Loving the extra detail when compared to more recent MP G1 figures.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096415)
Posted by cloudballoon on February 25th, 2021 @ 6:54am CST
blackeyedprime wrote:Be nice if the tyres match, it's mp not wfc.

Well, the tyres size & hubcaps styling do match, I guess due to the shoulder transformation those front tyres need to be molded with those holes needed for production. But since tyres tend to be black, those holes should not be too obvious when that part is molded/painted in black. Still weird though.

If Takara REALLY want to put in the effort, the designer can easily make an additional frisbee-shaped part that looks like the tyre, and use those 2 holes to friction tab the frisbee part in to make it perfect looking.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096417)
Posted by Evil Eye on February 25th, 2021 @ 7:46am CST

I want it. It's gorgeous.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096420)
Posted by sol magnus on February 25th, 2021 @ 8:14am CST
Evil Eye wrote:An official MP, with a nice vehicle mode, clean robot mode, apparently non-bull**** transformation and best of all, ACTUAL ROBOT DETAILS?!?

I want it. It's gorgeous.

Yes, he's more like the MP-10 to MP-21 era of Masterpiece.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096426)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on February 25th, 2021 @ 9:02am CST
sol magnus wrote:

I want it. It's gorgeous.

Yes, he's more like the MP-10 to MP-21 era of Masterpiece.

here here! this is a breath of fresh air imho. the over engineering and lack of detail (and the massive cost as a result) on the more recent mp's had been turning me off to them. the second series mps (starting from mp10) were to me the much more definitive "masterpiece" giving a perfect fusion of the original toy and it's appearance in the cartoon, while still being fun and "play-with-able" this to me looks like what a masterpiece Skids should be. Some issues though for sure, but for me he is a step back in the right direction.

Just my opinion
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096429)
Posted by sol magnus on February 25th, 2021 @ 9:12am CST
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:I think the less toony MPs are superior anyway.

Jelze Bunnycat wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:With Skids coming, Crosscut can't be far behind.

Now we just need MP Mirage. Seriously, what's been the holdup on him?

My guess is locating the license. Unlike other manufacturers, Ligier isn't active in the consumer automotive market, rather it was primarily active in motorsports and now in commercial vehicles and open-air sports. Then there's the (cigarette) advertising, and we all know how that went with Exhaust...
The former is probably a much greater factor. Gitanes isn't nearly as casually recognizable in the US, and the "Citanes" endorsements aren't exactly a lynchpin of Mirage's deco anyway.

sol magnus wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Now we just need MP Mirage. Seriously, what's been the holdup on him?
Maybe the faux cigarette company sponsor logos on his sides are making HasTak hesitant.

Did they make a Trailbreaker I'm not aware of?
Should have explained further.

I have an association built in my head between Delta Magnus, Road Rage, Crosscut, Wheeljack, and Mirage because in the Diaclone Powered Convoy commercial, the Car Robots on the featured Powered Convoy's trailer are the Corvette, the Honda City-R, the "Alitalla" version of the Lancia Stratos, and the Ligier JS-11.

We have Wheeljack, we have Road Rage, we have Delta Magnus. With Skids on the way, Crosscut will soon follow. But we are still missing Mirage.

Hopefully, we'll get him soon, they're out of 85 cars minus Hoist now.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096435)
Posted by Glarryg on February 25th, 2021 @ 9:42am CST
I like it. The face reminds me of Rip Torn; maybe we can get a Tommie Lee Jones and Will Smith-bot and recreate "Mechs In Black."

Glarryg
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096438)
Posted by Mindmaster on February 25th, 2021 @ 10:00am CST
Even better than I anticipated. Might be the first MP I actively go out of my way for since Sunstreaker. Just hope the price isn’t godawful like the current trend is :(
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096450)
Posted by Tuned Agent on February 25th, 2021 @ 10:54am CST
Skids looks amazing, IMO the best G1 MP in years. :x
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096486)
Posted by blackeyedprime on February 25th, 2021 @ 5:56pm CST
I'm looking forward to the repaints (I think they have at least 3 diaclones and the ehobby duo) so I'm likely to get at least one of him to go next to my Macross VF with the original toy sharing the same designer.
I'd like a Macross repaint as well though, either white with yellow stripes or maybe Max Sterlings blue/white and for the cheek of it do the possible scooter accessory in a mospeada cyclones paint scheme
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096488)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on February 25th, 2021 @ 6:42pm CST

I don't collect MPs but this piece looks really nice and the Marvel G1 comic story "Showdown" featuring Skids is 1 of my favorites so I'll get this figure if it's not outrageously expensive.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096489)
Posted by sol magnus on February 25th, 2021 @ 6:45pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:You know what would be an easy repaint out of this, with very minor retooling? Armada Red Alert. We'd have our very first Armada MP. Primus forbid it's not *gasp* Optimus Prime.

I don't collect MPs bit this piece looks really nice and the G1 comic story "Showdown" featuring Skids is 1 of my favorites so I'll get this figure if it's not outrageously expensive.

It's gonna be outrageously expensive. They all are now.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096494)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 25th, 2021 @ 7:04pm CST
Skids continues to look really cool. He looks like he will go perfectly with my MP-12. He's got the right detail and the non-cartoony look to him, I love it. I'm excited for him!
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096544)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 25th, 2021 @ 10:49pm CST
According to this article, MP Skids was designed by none other than Kōjin Ōno, the original designer of many Diaclone and Microman toys, including the original G1 Skids mold.
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096660)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 27th, 2021 @ 11:51am CST
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096669)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on February 27th, 2021 @ 12:56pm CST
So his alt mode is going to be a hatchback even though he was a van?
Re: First Prototype Images of Masterpiece Skids (2096672)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 27th, 2021 @ 1:16pm CST
Rodimus Prime wrote:So his alt mode is going to be a hatchback even though he was a van?
The Honda City Turbo is a subcompact car, not a van.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 20 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "COA 2015 SDCC Exclusive Hasbro TRANSFORMERS COMBINER WARS DEVASTATOR Masterpiece" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Devastator" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars G2 Dragstrip - incomplete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Battle Core Optimus Prime (Incomplete) Body" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Legends Ultra Magnus Complete w/ Alpha Trion Combiner Wars" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Legends LG17 Blackarachnia complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Universe Deluxe Cyclonus - Great Condition" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron #002 Soundblaster w/ Buzzsaw Voyager" on EBAY