Tuesday, June 7th, 2016 3:57pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Movie Related News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 27,565

By sideways of a Nerdist interview with IDW Publishing's Chris Ryall and Christos Gage - some of the minds behind not only ROM the Spaceknight, but also September's giant status quo shake REVOLUTION - we have a tidbit of info to be added to the compiled news from Twitter after the announcement here: the connection between MASK and Transformers, and the involvement on ROM in all of this - including Paramount's The Last Knight live-action movie. Check out the snippet below, and the full piece here!

But Autobots and M.A.S.K. both have transforming technology—is there already a connection there? Ryall responds, “That’s an excellent question that I’m going to say will be answered within the pages of the Revolution event series.”

Naturally I had to ask if they were aware of my theory, as seen on Nerdist News, that the marketing for the new Transformers movie is hinting at ROM. The answers were…interesting.

“I got a lot of e-mails after that article got out there,” says Gage. “I think it’s pretty close to the original ROM logo.”

“It worried me,” says Ryall. “I want there to be a ROM movie, but I would like it to just sort of be a new continuity, not something that’s tacked on.”

Credit(s): Nerdist

This article was last modified on Tuesday, June 7th, 2016 3:58pm CDT

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1795577)
Posted by Va'al on June 7th, 2016 @ 3:59pm CDT
Pictured above, a prime example of 'milking it' news post. :saint:
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1795681)
Posted by RiddlerJ on June 7th, 2016 @ 9:45pm CDT
Endlessly obsessed with repaint potential, I would love to see Transformers figures retooled into other Hasbro characters. ROM, Robotix, Mask. I remember a Matt Tracker G.I. Joe from a few years ago but could we could have Optimus repainted into Rhino?
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1795800)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 8th, 2016 @ 9:43am CDT
I just really cannot see how all these other properties, including IDW's previous G.I. Joe comic series, could feasibly fit into the post-All Hail Megatron world of the IDW Transformers comics. Several world-shattering events have gone down in the Transformers comics (the aforementioned AHM, all the international stuff in Costa's 2009-2011 ongoing, the current All Hail Optimus storyline, etc.) in which it would have made logical sense for all of these to catch attention from the likes of G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., and Action Man and get them involved. AHM even resulted in a billion casualties across the globe. How these other heroes and hero organizations didn't have any reaction to that is gonna need some hard explaining.

And frankly, what made these properties so successful back in their heyday was how they each stood on their own strengths and merits. But now, with IDW looking to incorporate them all into the same single universe as their Transformers comics, it becomes less of an attempt to create new life for each of these as their own entities, and more instead as an attempt to create new life for each of these as Transformers spinoffs. Except, there's one very important thing that hampers that: They aren't Transformers properties. IDW doing this feels like each of these properties, no matter how far they try to get away from Transformers should they choose to do so after the Revolution event ends, will be forever tied down to adhering to whatever world-effecting continuity stuff their mother franchise Transformers does, and likewise for Transformers having to rely on whatever the likes of G.I. Joe and ROM do should they too have some big continuity-related events. It all reeks of a severely hampering of creative and continuity freedom.

While Marvel and DC have each been able to do the shared universe thing (to varying results for better or worse), they've been doing that for years now. Several decades, even. IDW is just now beginning to barely scratch the surface of the concept long after they've already had several titles successfully running independent of one another, and now their trying to bring them all together long after the fact. That could prove very disastrous. It take the most surgically precise care ever to bring all of these into one universe, which could prove absurdly convoluted in the end.

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1795816)
Posted by Va'al on June 8th, 2016 @ 10:14am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:I'm not gonna cry foul on this just yet, but I'm still very wary of Revolution coming out smoothly. And I weep for the potential mess this might cause for the Wiki.

As much as I like what McFeely does on there with the comics, and a few others who contribute, it is not a necessary job - much like mine on here, or any fansite's coverage or reviews or what have you, for that matter. It is their choice to follow the comics, in general or specifically for Revolution.

If the event turns out to be a failure, the wiki is really not where my first thoughts go. But rather the readers - some of whom left with AHM, some with Costa, some with the 'reboot' in DOOP, some with Dark Cybertron, some with Combiner Wars, and others still join by the day.

The wiki, many times, embodies what I like least about comics culture: the obsessive focus on continuity and canon. I've said it jokingly in the past, but I have real issues with it. It is arbitrary, unnecessary yet perpetrated and reissued as the opposite, and has a feeling more of retrenchment than progression, with undertones of gatekeeping. It is a concept I dislike, and one that I'd like to see challenged more often, narratively and critically/from the readers. It precludes change, it gets in the way of development that strays from pre-guided paths, and is usually governed by a small group of people, be they creators, consumers or distributors.

That became a rant.

TL;DR - I hope Revolution does fine, I hope people are not disappointed by eventual changes, I hope people concerned with canon/continuity get over it.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1795890)
Posted by RevTibe on June 8th, 2016 @ 1:07pm CDT
I sincerely doubt this will cause any mess for the wiki - it's nothing new to it. The Marvel Transformers would run into Marvelverse Spiderman, so the wiki just records the information related to Spiderman's appearances in Transformers-related stories. How the wiki handles IDW Crossover stories is another relevant example - in the '14 X-Files Crossover the Transformers featured in one part of a series including the Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles etc, but the wiki only records the TF-relevant story, leaving the rest as a footnote.

I don't think GI Joe or MASK will necessarily cause a continuity bloat, if handled well. Events like AHM will probably mean that GI Joe and MASK are new organizations, probably created in response to the events of All Hail Optimus - after all, AHO and AHM have established that humans now have weird and wonderful vehicles + equipment derived from TF-tech, which is a solid lead-in to GI Joe/MASK. (The mention of ROM having some Ore-13 tomfoolery does establish a willingness to use TF fiction in the creation of these series).

Ideally, once the crossover event is over GI Joe and MASK will hold the same place in IDW Transformers fiction that the EDC has - "Yeah, the humans probably have some pretty intense military stuff now, but we're not mentioning it since it's kinda irrelevant to Cybertron."
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1795951)
Posted by Ironhidensh on June 8th, 2016 @ 4:47pm CDT
LIke I said earlier, G.I. Joe is the only property that I think will cause continuity issues. Correct me if I"m worng, but I believe the creators have stated that M.A.S.K. will be formed as a direct result of the Transformer involvment/attacks on Earth. That makes sense, and should blend in seemlessly.

As for Rom and the Micronaughts, I know nothing about them, but they are new franchises as well, right? They should work fine.

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1796027)
Posted by Sabrblade on June 8th, 2016 @ 10:20pm CDT
Ironhidensh wrote:G.I. Joe is the one that already has established history. A well established history without the Transformers. Asking that we accept the G.I. Joe universe has exsisted without ever mentioning or interacting with the Transformers is simply to big a suspension of belief, for me at least. I honestly think G.I. Joe should simply be rebooted.
Agreed. Something like All Hail Megatron would have most definitely caught the Joes' attention. A billion people died in it, for crying out loud. That they didn't even raise an eyebrow at it if they're supposed to be in the same universe is beyond baffling.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1796136)
Posted by Va'al on June 9th, 2016 @ 4:32am CDT
Sabrblade wrote:

The Joes were all included in that billion..?
I dunno, I'm just waiting to see how they solve it too!
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1796669)
Posted by Va'al on June 10th, 2016 @ 4:15pm CDT
Retreading *a lot* of previously explored material, Comic Book Resources brings an (apparently) exclusive peek at what's lurking behind IDW Publishing's REVOLUTION event, coming this September. Pretty much all of the creators involved are in the video embedded below, and they drop information on the various books included in the crossover, so check it out!

Starting in September, IDW Publishing is truly opening up its toy box. The San Diego-based publisher announced the "Revolution" event earlier this month, pairing its many licensed Hasbro action properties -- Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, ROM and Action Man -- into one shared universe, combining multiple long-running properties in comics for the first time.

CBR has the first full look at a video featuring multiple "Revolution" creators and editors, including John Barber, Brandon Easton, Aubrey Sitterson, Chris Ryall, Christos Gage, David Hedgecock and Cullen Bunn discussing the impending Hasbro crossover, along with a look at art from the upcoming event.

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1797447)
Posted by Va'al on June 13th, 2016 @ 4:47pm CDT
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1797480)
Posted by Ironhidensh on June 13th, 2016 @ 6:47pm CDT

I'm still willing to give it a fair shot, but I feel they are changing way too many things.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1799620)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 22nd, 2016 @ 1:18pm CDT
When it comes down to the Revolution and how everything is going to work, John Barber is the man to call. "Mr. continuity" will be one of the spearheads for the upcoming Revolution comics, and Luke Owen got the chance to interview Barber on the upcoming comics. You can find the original source HERE.

Today sees the release of IDW’s Action Man #1, which kickstarts a Hasbro expanded universe that brings together several of their other properties including The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Micronauts, M.A.S.K and more. Sadly, My Little Pony is not part of it. To celebrate the comic’s release, we caught up with the man who is spearheading this series – John Barber.

Barber is a man who has been hailed as ‘The God of Continuity’, and has previously worked with Marvel before jumping to IDW and writing for Transformers – both the Michael Bay movie tie-ins and IDW’s on-going series. But now he’s moving into a slightly less known territory of Action Man. So, why use him over more established characters?

“Well, it goes without saying that Action Man is the biggest character in the Hasbro stable,” Barber jokes. “No, I love Action Man, but I kid. [He’s] got a great set of fans, don’t get me wrong, but this comic is really about introducing the character to readers while honoring his history. The lead-up to Revolution is part of the DNA of the book Paulo Villanelli and John-Paul Bove put together. We’re not going to hit you over the head with it on page one, but Action Man is really the first book we’ve launched post-plans about the shared universe—I guess Rom #0 was the first, but Action Man was in that book in preview form, anyway. And Action Man absolutely plays a key role in Revolution—in fact he’s the first character you see in Revolution #1—but we’ll start to see these characters interacting in most of the comics leading up to Revolution (I say “most” as Micronauts is in another universe and More Than Meets the Eye is in deep space so we’re not cramming anything in that isn’t organic to the story).”

Is it going to be difficult to bring in characters from G.I. Joe, Transformers, etc?

“In a way, even though you don’t have to be reading Transformers,” he claims. “Revolution grows from the events in the Transformers comic Andrew Griffith and I do. Optimus Prime has declared Earth is under his protection, whether it wants to be or not. And for a lot of people, “not” is the answer. So when something starts going wrong with Ore-13—a substance Transformers can convert to energon, their food—signs point to the Transformers.”

He adds: “Action Man is one of the first discoverers of how bad things are with the Ore-13 crystals, and his actions cause G.I. Joe to be called in. Meanwhile, Rom’s been running around killing these shape-shifting aliens called Dire Wraiths, and the Transformers and G.I. Joe don’t know what to do with him—they don’t know what he’s up to, but Rom knows who the Cybertronians are. As the story goes on, the Micronauts enter the scene in a big way (no pun intended), and M.A.S.K. is formed… there’s a lot of moving parts, but Cullen Bunn—who’s co-writing the Revolution event with me—and Fico Ossio—who’s doing the amazing art—and I are making sure the story is clear and that everybody has a legitimate point of view and desires.”

......

IDW is no stranger to the world of crossovers, having brought Green Lantern to the world of Star Trek and countless team-ups between Transformers and G.I. Joe. There have also been connecting comics like Infestation, which tied together their on-going comics for Ghostbusters and Transformers but never saw the characters interact.

“IDW’s done really cool, really fun stories where they put together some great characters, like Star Trek/Green Lantern. And Tom Scioli (and slightly me, but Tom deserves all the credit) did absolutely amazing stuff on Transformers ss. G.I. Joe,” Barber says. “Then there have been line-wide stories like Infestation and Conspiracy where there’s a central spine and tie-in comics from different series, but the characters from one series don’t necessarily interact with each other—just with the central spine. I love those stories, but they’re very self-contained – that’s got advantages, of course. Transformers vs. G.I. Joe wouldn’t have the personality or impact it had if ten comics tied into it. But I think with the right project, it’s really great to have an event with big consequences in the comics crossing over.”

So how does Revolution differ? “This is going to have big repercussions,” Barber answers. “The individual titles will all maintain their own identities, their own stories, their own styles—but the canvass they’ll take place in will be this big, unified world, which I think is a ton of fun. It’s really great to have the ability to move characters between books and have these characters interact.”

.....

Barber has been hailed by fans as ‘The God of Continuity’, which makes him the perfect man to take on something like Revolution – as it not only brings together these characters but does so without compromising the stories already told. Is ‘The God of Continuity’ a fitting moniker?

“I don’t know about that,” he says laughing. “When I came on to Transformers, I sort of approached it as an archeologist. I dug in and read everything and took notes and thought about things and tried to see what resonated and what I could build on. I think I got too into the woods with that in places, but it created the worldview I have on some of the characters. Like, I looked at how Soundwave or Prowl were handled, and they were both written really differently by different writers over the years, and I thought through—what would make somebody be like that? What if they really did act all those different ways, what’s their deal? And that led to—I hope—richer characters.”

.....

Barber has written for two different types of Transformers – the IDW on-going series and the comic tie-ins for Michael Bay’s live action movies. “I did the movie tie-in comics first, so a lot of it was just learning how to write, and how to write Transformers,” he recalls. “I think philosophically, there’s a part of me where I wanted to have the high-octane non-stop action of the Bay movies in a comic, and another part that wanted to explore the world in a different way. The Rising Storm series was me trying to write a Michael Bay story in a comic; the Foundation series—which was the first time I worked with Andrew Griffith!—was meant to have a different tone. That was a thing I was thinking about a lot, then. And when Andrew and I came on to the IDW Universe series, it was more about our take on Transformers. We respected the past, but we weren’t operating under, or really reacting to, anybody else’s style. I talked to James Roberts, who was starting writing the other series, and we bounced ideas around and tried to figure out where we could intersect and how we could keep a different feel between the books but still feel coherent.”

But the real question is: who would win in a fight between Bay’s Optimus Prime and IDW’s Optimus Prime…?

“The Bay Prime is more vicious, but I think Optimus in the Transformers comic is more tactical in his thinking at this point, and he’s not exactly a pushover,” he says. “I think the comic book one wins.”

When Revolution was announced earlier this month, there was a large vocal outrage from fans who felt that this ‘cash in’ was going to ruin the stories they’d liked in G.I. Joe: Real American Hero and Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye. IDW editor Chris Ryall spent a long time on Twitter answering fan queries and concerns, and told them all to trust the process.

“I used to edit Wolverine. I’m used to the internet reaction being negative,” Barber jokes.

But one has to wonder, did that level of negativity have some effect on the plans for Revolution?

“Nope. The plan is the plan and the plan is awesome,” Barber emphatically states. “I mean, there’s pressure, of course – Cullen and Fico and editor David Hedgecock and colorist Sebastian Cheng and I all feel a lot of pressure to not let people down, and to do justice to the characters, and to build a strong foundation to this world. Telling a story has it’s own pressure! A nice pressure, I’m not complaining – it’s great! But I don’t feel any additional pressure based on anybody’s initial reactions.”

One of the big things promised coming from Revolution is that things will change. Big things. Groundbreaking things. So what can we expect?

“Transformers is going to change – the grand, over-arcing story I’ve been telling is still totally in place, now with cooler pieces making Earth a richer, more interesting place,” Barber says. “But the actual title will have a couple big changes.”

He adds: “Micronauts will be on Earth – which is huge (pun completely intended this time); Rom will have new relations to Transformers and G.I. Joe; G.I. Joe will have a big, new mission coming out of Revolution; Action Man will have a pretty interesting remit and goal; and M.A.S.K. will exist, which it doesn’t now. I mean, it’ll do a lot more than just exist! But M.A.S.K. is born in this crossover.”
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1799667)
Posted by 1984forever on June 22nd, 2016 @ 4:19pm CDT
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1799720)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 22nd, 2016 @ 8:06pm CDT
1984forever wrote:Speaking as a human being in the IDWverse, if the Earth was just attacked by aliens, and one of those aliens offered protection against further attacks by his kind, why would we refuse?

We hate all aliens
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1799722)
Posted by Ironhidensh on June 22nd, 2016 @ 8:11pm CDT

Most of the time we hate each other to the point of genocide, why would we ever be cool with aliens?
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1799739)
Posted by 1984forever on June 22nd, 2016 @ 8:48pm CDT
Now it all makes perfect sense.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1803926)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 4:39am CDT
With (some versions) of Transformers: Till All Are One #2, a short story part of Road to Revolution has started setting the grounds for Action Man and G.I. Joe's roles in the wide IDW crossover of its Hasbro franchises - Revolution. [Other readers found a preview for ROM the Spaceknight #1, instead.] If you have read the short extract, let us know what you make of it in the Energon Pub!

Meanwhile, we also have the reading list for Revolution as it happens, this coming September. Check it out below.

Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1803930)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 8th, 2016 @ 5:16am CDT
Hopefully IDW have have been paying attention to Marvel/DC and the newest kid in the block in comic terms, Valiant, in how to handle shared universe.

I personally love shared universes, where it always feels like something is happening but communication between those working on the comics is key.i also reject the notion it hampers creativity as there is always a way.

In fact it takes great skill to pull something like this off, and have it work. Saying that, I hope they keep mega events to a minimum instead of the marvel/Dc method of one a year.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1803936)
Posted by Randomhero on July 8th, 2016 @ 6:47am CDT
Well it will all be run by John Barber. He is the master of continuity, whether it's retconning stuff to make sense or just making sure what's happened isn't forgotten so I'd say this is all in good hands. The 4 page preview in the back of till all are one this week gave me enough trust to believe that everything will be alright.

People just need to calm down and stop thinking that gijoe will be in every mask comic or mask will be in every issue of transformers or Rom will be in every mtmte and everything in between. That's not how it's going to go. Will there be cameos? Yes, big epic events with everyone probably. Will it ruin everything? No, only person that can do that is the fans that think it will.
Re: IDW Hasbro Comics Crossover: Revolution - Chris Ryall, Christos Gage on ROM, MASK, Transformers (1803958)
Posted by Va'al on July 8th, 2016 @ 8:46am CDT
Yes, that short piece was good enough to do a 'we were really busy doing things, ok?' set-up for the non-involvement of the Joe universe in the ation/AHM era. And nice sliding into the EDC, too.

Who do you think the off panel voice is?

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Smokescreen" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #288 - Filler Episode
"Filler Episode"
Posted: Sunday, November 14th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer 2016 & Snowplow 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots High Tide Rescue Rig Boat Part" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers generations Fall Of Cybertron Shockwave" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Academy Salvage Converting Toy, 4.5-In" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Power Charge Bumblebee VOLKSWAGEN VW BUG" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects - SDCC Exclusive Transformers 8" Dead Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Bumblebee: Cyberverse Adventures - Deluxe Class Grimlock" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Lot Optimus Bumblebee Ironhide Skidz And More" on EBAY