IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2

IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2

Wednesday, May 20th, 2015 7:37pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: shajaki   Views: 26,084

If you've read Part 1 of Tom Scioli's interview with Comics Alliance, you're not going to want to miss the second half! Tom Scioli and John Barber‘s are of course the masterminds behind IDW's Transformers vs. GI Joe, and have brought quite a nutty flavor to the book. See the mayhem behind the scenes in the interview right here, some snippets below, and stay tuned to Seibertron.com for all your Transformers News!

To say that Tom Scioli and John Barber‘s Transformers vs. GI Joe is an unusual comic is underselling things quite a bit. On paper, it’s a natural fit, an ongoing series that follows in the footsteps of earlier books that have combined the two toy lines into one massive interplanetary battle. In practice, though, it’s something a lot bigger, a comic that almost assaults the reader by cramming in as much big, wild stuff as it possibly can — a toy comic so weird, and so great, that it almost feels like it shouldn’t exist.

With the book’s second storyline well under way, throwing in everything from Vikings to old gods to Dinobots (and a new printing of his amazing American Barbarian on the way this summer), I talked to cowriter, artist and occasional ComicsAlliance guest contributor Tom Scioli about the series. Today, he talks about building a history for a universe that’s even more important than our own, the two-page Free Comic Book Day story, and why his book isn’t a paean to Snake Eyes. You can read the first part of this interview here.

[...]

CA: The next specific scene that I wanted to talk about was the first page of #6. Every time I think this comic can’t get any wilder, it gets bigger and weirder in a way that I find really enjoyable. This comic opens with Adam and Eve being expelled from the Garden of Eden by floating Transformers with laser swords.

TS: Yeah.

Transformers News: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2

TS: It’s a universe. It’s a whole universe. My thought is that the Transformers vs. GI Joe universe is the most important universe there is, and while you’re reading it, it’s even more important than our universe. There’s an Alpha to that universe and there’s an Omega to that universe, and what you were witnessing was Roadblock’s reading of the Cobra Bible, the Decepticobranomicon, so what you’re reading may well be an actual accounting of what happened. It might be mythology. It might be disinformation. It could be any number of things. There’s a deep history to this world.

CA: I’ve said this before, and I mean it in the best way possible, but I’m always surprised this book exists.

TS: Right. [Laughs]

Credit(s): Comics Alliance

This article was last modified on Thursday, May 21st, 2015 2:38am CDT

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1693380)
Posted by Va'al on June 2nd, 2015 @ 3:38am CDT
In other IDW Publishing news, this week also sees the release of the next issue in the Tom Scioli (with some Barber) Transformers vs G.I. Joe ongoing series - what space-wide madness awaits in issue 7? Find out in the full preview below, and check backin later this week for the Seibertron.com review!

Transformers vs G.I. JOE #7
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)
THE WORLD AS THEY MAKE IT! Alliance are forged! Enemies are enraged! The war burns on Earth and Cybertron! And now… now the real battle begins.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
If you’ve ever liked anything, you’ll love this!
If you’ve never liked anything—this will be the first thing you love!
Variant Cover by Kody Chamerlain!

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1693406)
Posted by BumbleDouche on June 2nd, 2015 @ 5:24am CDT
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1693408)
Posted by MrBlack on June 2nd, 2015 @ 5:35am CDT
Well, this has taken an interesting turn. One of the things I love about this comic is that I legitimately never know what is going to happen from page to page or issue to issue.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1693421)
Posted by RhA on June 2nd, 2015 @ 6:25am CDT
The comic still looks horrid. I do like the colors. And that cover looks nice.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1693454)
Posted by Downbeat on June 2nd, 2015 @ 8:27am CDT
Whoof, this is getting dark.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1693507)
Posted by President-prime on June 2nd, 2015 @ 11:43am CDT
You know, this art was weird at first, but it's rather entertaining. In fact, I went back to my comic store and bought all of the earlier issues. I also collect covers so I bought all the different versions of it. For those criticizing the art work, just read a couple of issues without reservations or bias and you might find that it's more thoughtful and more creative than the newer ones. The art is actually more complicated than what's on the surface. Each panel is layered with other elements of art. Frat job Tom Scioli and John Barber!
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1693558)
Posted by Amelie on June 2nd, 2015 @ 1:31pm CDT
MegaDump wrote:Good God, these are hideous. Honestly, the worst thing about old comics, in my opinion at least, was the crummy artwork and the cheap paper they were printed on. Trying to emulate that look in this day and age makes no sense to me, other than appealing to a sense of nostalgia in older fans. I can't imagine any kids flipping through this on a comic book store shelf and being impressed. It's like using a broom to clean your floor when you have a vacuum cleaner handy... The vacuum does the job faster, more efficiently and you get a better result, so why stick to "old technology?" But hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Two points

- You clearly don't do much housework or have pets. A broom gets things out of wool rugs that a vacuum cleaner simply can't. Different tools. Different jobs. In the case of art - pencils and pens for sketches and inks can be a much more efficient tool. Depends on the style and the artist.

- Its not just nostalgia notes the art hits - it has quirky details and is dynamic in a way that the current pseudo-anime style used in the mainline can't accommodate. It is art and its quality is purely subjective. Whats in vogue now could suddenly look very tired and 'bad' in a few short years and Tom Scioli might look like a progressive genius. Besides which I'd hardly dare call old comic artists like Ditko or Kirby 'crummy' simply because of age or an art-fashion change. ;)

Still gutted I can't easily get my hands on these. I'll have to trawl eBay next month and catch up, if money allows.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1693698)
Posted by President-prime on June 2nd, 2015 @ 9:19pm CDT
Good point. The details are what got me. I find myself looking for "other" things in the background. I feel like playing treasure and it that 3D puzzle book thing where you don't look through the surrogate but stare deeper into what the panels really mean. Old but cool!
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1712224)
Posted by Va'al on July 22nd, 2015 @ 7:28pm CDT
In other iTunes-cum-IDW Publishing news, we also have a very latecomer to the roster for next week, namely the eighth issue of Tom Scioli's cosmic masterpiece Transformers vs G.I. Joe! You can check out the three-page preview below, mirrored from the iTunes page here.

In the interplanetary war between the TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE, anything can happen... and does.

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1712516)
Posted by o.supreme on July 23rd, 2015 @ 4:19pm CDT
I made a mistake, when this first came out. I was thinking it was going to be a mini-series (4 or 5 issues at the most), but when it kept going I was getting worried. I really have no interest in it, and hopefully the constant delays in publication are a sign it is going to end soon. If it doesn't end by issue 10 or 12, I may just sell them as a lot on eBay.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1714495)
Posted by MrBlack on July 30th, 2015 @ 5:40am CDT
Did anyone manage to pick up #8? It was solicited for this week, but it's not on Comixology.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1714513)
Posted by o.supreme on July 30th, 2015 @ 9:01am CDT
Yes I got it at my local shop yesterday.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1714517)
Posted by MrBlack on July 30th, 2015 @ 9:14am CDT
o.supreme wrote:Yes I got it at my local shop yesterday.

Odd. I contacted IDW, who said it isn't scheduled for release until next week. It seems, however, that more than a few shops got copies and put them out, and the TFWiki has a synopsis.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1714711)
Posted by Va'al on July 31st, 2015 @ 1:00am CDT
How very odd.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1714752)
Posted by MrBlack on July 31st, 2015 @ 8:28am CDT
Va'al wrote:I can confirm that all material from IDW indicates this is out first Wednesday of August.
How very odd.

Maybe they didn't get all their stock out on time and just bumped the official release to next week. Or maybe they decided at the last minute that having four Transformers titles on the shelves at the same time wasn't a good idea.

In any case, they certainly didn't get the message out to local comic shops, because I know a lot of folks across the country who managed to pick this up on Wednesday. The issue summary is even up on TFWiki.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1715661)
Posted by Va'al on August 4th, 2015 @ 2:27am CDT
With a peculiar blip in distribution, IDW Publishing confirms the release of Transformers vs G.I. Joe #8 for this Wednesday, though some shops and stores may already have received it last week - in either case, check out the full preview for the issue below, and head back to Seibertron.com for a review later this week!

Transformers vs G.I. JOE #8
Tom Scioli & John Barber (w) • Scioli (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Action and excitement as only Tom Scioli can deliver!
You won’t believe your eyes!
Variant Cover by Artyon Trakhanov!

Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1715676)
Posted by Optimizzy on August 4th, 2015 @ 8:40am CDT
this is like looking at a Salvador Dali painting that makes less sense.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1715689)
Posted by jogunwarrior on August 4th, 2015 @ 9:46am CDT
This is the most nonsensical preview I've ever seen, and I still cannot stand that artwork for the purpose of sequential storytelling.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1715690)
Posted by o.supreme on August 4th, 2015 @ 9:48am CDT
To be honest, like I said above, I have all 8 issues, there is no "sequential storytelling" as far as I can see, just a bunch of random stuff happening for no apparent reason. I'm pretty sure I'll be selling these all very soon.
Re: IDW Transformers vs. G.I. Joe: Interview with Tom Scioli Part 2 (1715753)
Posted by jgilkinson on August 4th, 2015 @ 3:17pm CDT
Is it just me or does it look they are about to eat Snake-Eyes?

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS RISE OF THE DECEPTICONS # 24 OCT 2020 NEW COVER A" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Autobot TAILGATE and GROUNDBUSTER" on EBAY
Buy "1985 SCRAPPER G1 TAKARA TRANSFORMERS CONSTRUCTICON (DEVASTATOR) HASBRO DECPTICON" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Western Star 5700XE Jada" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action figures - Brand new sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Battle Masters Siege War CALIBURST Takara Tomy B" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Thunderhowl Figure 2021 MOC Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers R.I.D Firebot Dive Bomb & Instructions Evacuate Override Buzzsaw…" on EBAY