IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive

IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive

Wednesday, June 13th, 2007 7:51am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Interviews
Posted by: Calenatarion   Views: 15,825

IGN has interviewed Transformers Movie director Michael Bay. In the interview Bay talks about the production, fans, Steven Spielberg and more.

But it is not just that. Michael Bay also told in the interview that he had a very interesting idea. He wanted to use a Transformer that could transform into a huge carrier. Too bad, but his idea proved to be too expensive. Michael Bay further reacterd: " I had an amazing aircraft-carrier idea that was just too expensive, so maybe another movie… that'll get the fans talking! "

Click here for the interview on IGN.

Credit(s): movies.ign.com and Michael Bay

Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162117)
Posted by Brakethrough on June 13th, 2007 @ 7:54am CDT
TIDAL WAAAAAVE.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162122)
Posted by Tadertime on June 13th, 2007 @ 7:58am CDT
Tidal Wave would be so f'n sweeettt!!!! Hopefully they could do it for the next movie.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162125)
Posted by Turparooni Prime on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:01am CDT
Broadside, it hes More G1
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162127)
Posted by Windracer on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:02am CDT
Dude! Tidal Wave would kick ASS! Here's hoping we'll see him in a film someday. :grin:

Besides, it'd be pretty cool to see more non-G1 names and characters in the movies...
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162135)
Posted by Ecto on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:10am CDT
I dun care bout Broadside, Tidal Wave will always be the one I will rememeber when I think of a transforming Carrier.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162137)
Posted by Skowl on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:10am CDT
Turparooni Prime wrote:Broadside, it hes More G1

I know, that exactly why I would prefer Tidal Wave...

the G1 Universe has had it's time in the sun and then some, I would like to see more new characters get movie incarnations like Tidal Wave and Evac.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162139)
Posted by Anonymous on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:15am CDT
That would be awesome. I'm gonna have to go with Tidal Wave though, a Decepticon aicraft carrier would be way cooler than an Autobot.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162142)
Posted by Calenatarion on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:19am CDT
Yeah, I also thought it was pretty cool if it would have happened. But with ideas like these I wonder what more we can expect.

Btw, don't you think that it wouldn't only be too expensive, but would the American navy be willing to lend Bay an aircraft carrier?

Also, I think that if there was an aircraft carrier, it would have been a Decepticon -> Blackout... Since according to Blackout's bio, he is the one in 'charge' of exportation. Think about it.. in stead of an helicopter, he would have been a bad and bigass carrier 8).
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162144)
Posted by jonusjaxon on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:23am CDT

"Let me transform and you can stow away inside me belly!"
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162151)
Posted by Sunstar on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:30am CDT
I never liked tidal Wave he sounded too much like a stoned twit.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162159)
Posted by KoH4711 on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:36am CDT
I wonder if the carrier would've been Tidal Wave, or Broadside, or some other character adapted. Or a borderline "new character", like Barricade or Blackout(reused names, completely different in almost every other respect). I just can't think of a G1 'Con who you could reimagine as a carrier.

Still, it would've been really awesome to see. There's always the sequel...
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162161)
Posted by Phenotype on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:37am CDT
Skowl wrote:I know, that exactly why I would prefer Tidal Wave...

THANK YOU. G1 is great and I have a lot of fond memories but for fook's sake can we get some new characters???
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162163)
Posted by reanimate28 on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:37am CDT
Flashbang wrote:I think carriers are LAME. Seems like a waste of assets to me. Not very creative. I'm really not into the bigger transformers like Fortress Maximus, Trypticon, and ones like that.

"Let me transform and you can stow away inside me belly!"

I agree you know the super huge characters as mentioned except for Unicron are incredibly boring they would just show up be huge throw each other in the ocean then go away. The dinobots even though they had really stupid voices would be great in a sequel they could have came to earth millions of years ago take on dino forms and get buried when the asteroid killed the real dinosaurs then the autobots dig them up like fossils and boom you got grimlock slag and the rest. or since they have the allspark just build them themselves just like the show and give them life.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162167)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:41am CDT
Well here we have it. The beginnings of the G1/Non-G1 Blood Feud. It won't end well.

Bottom Line is, as much as much as those like myself consider Generation 1 the Alpha and Omega of Transformers Lore, there are plenty of those that did not grow up with G1, and thus view it as archaic and cheezy. I can sympathize, because I can remember the first Batman movie, and even the first Spider-Man movie, and they are both INCREDIBLY Dated. Still, G1 has the largest variety of characters, character types, and overall substance to it... But it still came up short in a lot of places. Other series have come about to make up for the Shortcomings of the original 80's cartoon. An example, Tidal Wave would be a much better choice for an aircraft carrier(Michael Bay always was all about HUGE elements in his movies) than Broadside, unless they handled him correctly. But then again, Broadside never really had much character to speak of, did he? They could always do something totally out of left-field and call him Omega Supreme...

As for seeing other Non-G1 characters and names in the movies, it WILL happen, and I'll just deal with it. Like the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies, Bay's Transformers ties together many elements from many of the different Transformers Universes; it is simply the best approach. I only hope the focus stays on building up a G1-based story. If there was no G1, none of this would have came about so successfully.

End of Speech.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162171)
Posted by Ericus Prime on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:42am CDT
I wanted to bring this up here.

"IGN, being cynical cretins by nature, questioned why Bay thought Transformers wasn't a toy movie since, last we checked, it's about a line of toys and was created with support from Hasbro - a toy manufacturer.

"Transformers is essentially a movie based around a line of toys - but there's a lot of violence and mature content in the film aimed presumably at adults. Was it hard to strike a balance?"

Suddenly, the charming smile slipped from Bay's face and things went very quiet. He didn't lose his composure, but we definitely hit a nerve of some kind - pride, maybe?"

Very interesting. :-? Any thoughts?
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162178)
Posted by Sideshow Sideswipe on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:47am CDT
a transforming carrier sounds retarded. Now transforming CAR CARRIER (ultra magnus) would be really awesome.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162189)
Posted by Phenotype on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:52am CDT
Ultra Magnus wrote:Bottom Line is, as much as much as those like myself consider Generation 1 the Alpha and Omega of Transformers Lore, there are plenty of those that did not grow up with G1, and thus view it as archaic and cheezy.

I grew up with G1 and while I don't neccessarily consider it archaic and cheesy I am definitely ready for something new. I don't see why anyone would want different incarnations of the same characters over and over and over again. I've had enough G1. I really felt like the Classics line was a nice way to cap off that whole era, it was a great homage, now time for something new. I'm sorry, I know you guys think that TF's has to follow certain rules and blah blah blah but I'd really like to see a TF series with absolutely NO G1 characters at all, not even Prime. At the heart of TF's we have good characters, you don't have to have Prime to have a strong leader and you don't have to have Starscream to have a cunning villian.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162196)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on June 13th, 2007 @ 8:59am CDT
I would prefer it if Broadside was not in a flick, 'cause frankly he's a boring character. He's a triple changer who's afraid of BOTH water AND flying. It's no wonder the G1 cartoon never featured him except as "voiceless character in background #50"
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162198)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on June 13th, 2007 @ 9:01am CDT
Phenotype wrote:

I'm not sure if you understood what I was saying, phenotype. I was agreeing with you- mostly. Prime and Megatron really do define the Transformers as a mythos; not having them in a series would be like driving a car in the desert without a radiator. Besides, there are Hundreds, if not thousands of characters in the G1 universe to choose from. There could be a lot done to focus on them in a good story.

BTW, Transformers Victory and Zone are great examples of non-Prime-centric Series. And they're DEFINITELY part of the G1 Lore.
Re: IGN Interviews Michael Bay: Transforming Carrier Too Expensive (162199)
Posted by Counterpunch on June 13th, 2007 @ 9:02am CDT
Tidal Wave would be the best way to implement large scale Transformers in a realistic fashion.

Here's hoping for a 5 minute transformation sequence.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Strafe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS COMBINER WARS DELUXE CLASS IRONHIDE COMPLETE" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS COMBINER WARS DELUXE CLASS MIRAGE COMPLETE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bot Shots Starscream new sealed B002 Hasbro G1 Version" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations AOE Age of Extinction Hound Voyager Figure Loose" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS • CYCLONUS •  Combiner Wars - MINT IN BOX - HASBRO Toys" on EBAY
Buy "transformers combiner wars menasor NIB!!!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Takara Legends LG-30 Weirdwolf" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Universe 2.0 BLADES Generations Classics Voyager Class blades Parts" on EBAY