Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One

Transformers News: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One

Monday, May 9th, 2016 7:36AM CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 30,083

Courtesy of comics and entertainment site Newsarama, we have another first look at the upcoming IDW Transformers: Till All Are One series (coming in June), in an interview with writer Mairghread Scott and featuring unlettered preview pages by Sara Pitre Durocher (whatever the article might claim to the contrary). Check out some snippets, images below, and head here for the full piece!

Set on Cybertron and the political in-fighting between Starscream and Windblade to craft a new era for Transformers on Cybertron and beyond, the series has a broader scope than any Transformers series before. Picking up thematically from her last series, Transformers: Windblade, Scott and artist Alex Milne (nope --Va'al) are looking to delve deeper into the heart of being a Transformer.

Newsarama: "Till All Are One" is a very hallowed phrase in the Transformers mythos. What does it mean here for this new series?

Mairghread Scott: “Till All Are One” is a double-edged sword in our series. Our characters' main challenge right now is integration: Autobots and Decepticons, colonists and Cybertronians, various religious and political factions. These people know they need help to survive, but getting that help from former enemies is a hard pill to swallow. On the other hand, the threat of empire is always there. If Cybertron falls back under a totalitarian government and 'all' are forced to become 'one' it can be just as damaging. So everyone is working toward this single phrase, but in very different ways.

[...]

Nrama: How did this series come about? Is it something you pitched to do, or something IDW asked you to work on specifically?

Scott: We weren't sure when Windblade ended if we'd be able to do any more so we crammed as much plot in as we could. So when John Barber asked what I'd do with an ongoing, it took me a minute to figure out which of the many toys I'd grabbed I'd like to play with first. I'm glad I took the time to find it.

Till All Are One is going to explore and spotlight a variety of characters from across the spectrum of Transformers works, but in a single cohesive story. My goal isn't to hit everyone at once, but to bounce back and forth, to touch on the people that are rebuilding this world so that we're less of a classic 'team' book and more the story of a people and their struggles. Of course, some characters will always be at the heart of things, Windblade and Starscream in particular. But I've always been a character-focused writer and I want it to feel like Cybertron as a planet is changing and growing, not just a single character or a handful of them.

Credit(s): Newsarama
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788004)
Posted by RevTibe on May 9th, 2016 @ 8:00am CDT
Heh, glad they're not trying to play up Swindle's survival as a shock - I was a bit surprised when I saw people consider the character to actually be dead.

Seems like Ironhide's getting a bit of focus - always been interested in his recent IDW characterization.

While I do want King Starscream to last, it seems like his Badgeless shenanigans are catching up with him - perhaps with Swindle running around we'll see mention of him orchestrating Menasor's attack on Caminus. That would certainly shake things up, although it wouldn't necessarily unseat him - he's a good villain-politician, and that allows for a bit more nuance than the shoot-shoot-bang-bang a wartime Megatronalike villain provides.

We're seeing Knock Out and Prime Breakdown get pagetime together (outside of one vehicle mode panel in the Christmas special)!

Like the art, a good mixture of colourful/juicy and mechanical.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788007)
Posted by Va'al on May 9th, 2016 @ 8:10am CDT
RevTibe wrote:Curious about the shot of Chromia removing her "helmet" - if there is a Chromia focus, we might see a resolution to Chromia's vol. 1 crimes, which could put rest to one of my vol. 2 gripes - if there's a line about "yada yada things were too unstable at the time to address it," I could kinda buy it. (My fanfic-y approach would've been for her to be tried in secret on Caminus and returned to duty on "probation" in vol. 2 with her Combiner Hunter deco marking her as criminal - Caminus is a resource poor world, not enough resources to easily replace a skilled worker or hold people in prison, so perhaps after a serious crime you get one probationary chance, then execution).

(However, parallels with Civil War narrative of Bucky/Cap, now that I think about it... :-? )

Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788019)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 9th, 2016 @ 8:35am CDT
I look forward to more Ironhide. He's my sis's favorite, so I can't help but keep an eye on him :MAXIMAL:
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788028)
Posted by RevTibe on May 9th, 2016 @ 9:01am CDT
Dr Va'al wrote:Yes, that is what I am also expecting/Hoping to see. I still have the feeling that the Chromia arc is nowhere near over, and only having six issues to deal with it, really, is not giving it the chance it deserves. If it's not addressed at all, then yeah.. it'll stand out a little sore.
True, a Chromia subplot would be too much for the already overstuffed vol. 2! I suppose the most I could've asked for would have been a "this isn't over!"-type line from Windblade somewhere.

I'd love to see Chromia's crime leveraged to talk about how Cybertronians value life - I'd imagine millions of years of warfare would leave many Cybes with a blasé reaction to three casualties from a bombing, while the more peaceful colonists would be horrified.

Dr Va'al wrote:Now that is an interesting character to look at, after the whole 'Pax Cybertronia is no longer a thing' thing. Or is it? What is his role, now? He obviously has a lot to contribute, but everything has changed for him since AHM and his mini series. Where will he go from here?
Yeah, there's a lot of vague stuff surrounding the Pax and Gorlam Prime - a lot can be read into Jhiaxus's ramblings about Gorlam Prime and the Pax when LV-117 was being bashed about in time, but part of me hopes that those were purely in reference to Shockwave's Dark Cybertron plan - let's leave time travel in the past (heh). Then there was Combiner Wars' suggestion that the vision was instead sharing headspace with someone/thing else instead of a premonition. My guess is that TAAO will largely deal with Ironhide's character arc; the plotlines tied to his vision sound like a better fit for a post-All Hail Optimus ex-RID arc.

I am surprised/glad that he's been an interesting character despite being killed/revived/mindwiped previously - that's basically the same treatment Energon Demolishor got, which isn't a flattering similarity.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788046)
Posted by Randomhero on May 9th, 2016 @ 10:06am CDT
Really have hopes its good. I'm in no mood for every issue to have Windblade with an inner monologue of "I have to stop starscream"

Art is nice.

Hey Livio! This is what cybertron looks like! It has colors and light and depth and backgrounds! Take notes!
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788048)
Posted by Randomhero on May 9th, 2016 @ 10:16am CDT
RevTibe wrote:

Here's my two cents about Jhiaxus Gorlam prime and Orion pax and LV-117:

That was all done before Dark Cybtron was planned. I think John had a very different plan in mind when he was doing the syndromica story and when he James and IDW decided to team up with hasbro for dark cybertron he had to change his plans for what he was doing. If you go back and re-read those issues it's very apparent had set of plans in mind then. In that time travel issue with Jhiaxus and Orion on LV-117 we see the planet being destroyed and the ground being sucked into the air. Jhiaxus tells Orion he does not know true chaos but will. Optimus also steals the time travel remote from Jhiaxus. I had hopes that remote would come back into play by the end of dark cybertron. A lot of what was said and done in issues 6 and 9 of RID were ignored and not brought back up by the end of dark cybertron.

We know dark cybertron was planned around August and September of 2012 from interviews by John and James and the syndromica story was written and drawn a good 6 months before that.

I think John had a very different story planned and had to change it and as much as I don't want unicorn I think he was originally coming.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788049)
Posted by Optimizzy on May 9th, 2016 @ 10:19am CDT
I do hope this wont feel as rushed as the last one.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788054)
Posted by Randomhero on May 9th, 2016 @ 10:47am CDT
Optimizzy wrote:I do hope this wont feel as rushed as the last one.

I second that. It was a mess
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788073)
Posted by 1984forever on May 9th, 2016 @ 11:50am CDT

Okay, got it.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788075)
Posted by Randomhero on May 9th, 2016 @ 12:26pm CDT
1984forever wrote:Scott says the last thing she wants people to remember is that Windblade turns into a jet. So what I got from this is that it will be a political talking heads book as shown in the preview. There will also be few Transformations because there will be very little action. Characters from many KOntinuities will show up for nostalgia purposes, but nothing will be done with them because the book will focus relentlessly on the same cast from Windblade. The average Transformers fan can't just jump into TAAO without reading years worth of IDW history, so they're going to try to attract the Archie comic and romance novel crowd.

Okay, got it.

Well that should be fine with you since you hate everything IDW and "don't read" the comics they put out.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788080)
Posted by Prowl4 on May 9th, 2016 @ 12:45pm CDT
I'd appreciate if this hack mairghread scott left transformers. Awful writer.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788084)
Posted by Randomhero on May 9th, 2016 @ 12:56pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:I'd appreciate if this hack mairghread scott left transformers. Awful writer.

I don't think that'needs to be called for. Personally I'm not a fan of her writing. I'm gonna say something and I'm going to apologize if any one is offended but personally I feel she's only the writer because she's a woman and she wrote two episodes of Prime and IDW thinks that's enough to give her a shot. Yes she wrote beast hunters but I didn't really enjoy that series. I'm sorry I don't mean to sound terrible like that but she came on the the main comics at a time of "hey everyone! Look female transformers! We're gonna have a comic with a female transformer as the main character in it, it's going to be written by a woman and drawn by a woman too!" It felt really forced and in my opinion the execution wasn't very good. Anymore it just feels like she's writing this because she's a woman who has a small history with the brand.

Again I apologize, I don't like saying something like that but it's a vibe I get off. I've said before I didn't enjoy the first two Windblade comics she wrote but I am happy to give till all are one a chance.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788091)
Posted by Prowl4 on May 9th, 2016 @ 1:09pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:

She is there because she's a woman and she's pushing her agenda through the material which is uttered revolting in my opinion. She needs to go as her work is terrible.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788096)
Posted by RevTibe on May 9th, 2016 @ 1:16pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

From comics to politics, when a woman is employed in an area with a male majority, you see this... odd core of people who talk of them being unqualified, only being there because of gender - stranger still, it's vanishingly rare, if not non-existent, for this group to question the qualifications of any men working in that area.

...really makes you wonder about this "she's only hired because she's a woman!" crowd.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788099)
Posted by Prowl4 on May 9th, 2016 @ 1:21pm CDT
RevTibe wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

When a woman is criticised you see this, weirdos jumping to the defense of the woman based on her gender. People in glass houses.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788101)
Posted by RevTibe on May 9th, 2016 @ 1:23pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:
RevTibe wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788102)
Posted by Prowl4 on May 9th, 2016 @ 1:26pm CDT
RevTibe wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
RevTibe wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Hey man, I'm just speaking in defense of an author whose work I enjoy. I'm happy talking about Windblade and Scott in terms of the merits of the work, you folks are the ones dragging gender into it.[/quote]

Is the author a woman? Is the main character she uses female?
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788105)
Posted by Randomhero on May 9th, 2016 @ 1:28pm CDT
For me I just care about the story. I don't care who the writer is as long the story is good to me. That being said, how many comic sites and social media outlets were promoting and making a big deal about having a woman write for transformers and having female transformers. It honestly put me off because I grew up with Arcee black arachnia airrazer and botanica. They've always been around so when Windblade was announced I didn't blink. It was "alright, cool"

When you push and push and push that's when I start getting irked and that's how I have felt for two years now.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788106)
Posted by RevTibe on May 9th, 2016 @ 1:29pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:
RevTibe wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
RevTibe wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Is the author a woman? Is the main character she uses female?

Dang, you're right. Sorry man, I forgot that I'm not allowed to defend an author whose work I enjoy if they happen to be a woman or write a female protagonist. Thanks for reminding me.
Re: Interview with Mairghread Scott on IDW Transformers: Till All Are One (1788112)
Posted by 1984forever on May 9th, 2016 @ 1:38pm CDT
Prowl4 wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

it's not just her, it's Roberts and Barber coming heavy with the agendas and social engineering as well. It's what an adult would do with their Transformers collection. Pose them on a shelf and have them debate and crack jokes. No real TF action because they're too sophisticated for it. It's time for all 3 of them to write something else.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #209 - Under Siege
"Under Siege"
Posted: Sunday, October 7th, 2018

Buy "Transformers AOE Walmart 3 Pack - Strafe - Bumblebee - Stinger" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Aoe Age Of Extinction Slog" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Snarl Complete Deluxe Aoe Dinobot Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction SLUG Complete Deluxe Aoe Dinobot Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Generations Class Lockdown Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Age of Extinction SLUG Complete Deluxe Dinobot Lot Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Generations Voyager Class Slog Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Aoe Movie STINGER Complete Age Of Extinction Advanced Series" on EBAY