Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF

Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF

Monday, July 13th, 2009 4:24pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 24,548

In an interview that was conducted by the Film School Rejects just days after the worldwide release of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, film scribes Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman spoke about the plethora of projects they've been involved in and how they don't control every aspect of what happens in the films that they write.

An excerpt from the interview:
FLJ: ...I heard that the gold tooth was [Director Michael] Bay’s idea, but do you have anything to say to people who found The Twins offensive?

Orci: Number one, we sympathize. Yes, the gold tooth was not in the script. That’s true.

Kurtzman: It’s really hard for us to sit here and try to justify it. I think that would be very foolish, and if someone wants to be offended by it, it’s their right. We were very surprised when we saw it, too, and it’s a choice that was made. I think if anything it shows you that we don’t control every aspect of the movie.

FLJ: Were you offended by them?

Kurtzman: I wasn’t thrilled. I certainly wasn’t thrilled.

Orci: Same reaction. I’m not easily offended, but when I saw it, I thought, ‘Someone’s gonna write about that.’”

The rest of the interview really gives you an idea of just how bogged down the two writers were with the multiple projects they faced and how they tried to tackle each the best they could. You can view the entire interview by clicking here.

Credit(s): Film School Rejects

Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954290)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on July 13th, 2009 @ 4:33pm CDT
Interesting read..
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954295)
Posted by Burn on July 13th, 2009 @ 4:39pm CDT
I love how everyone involved with this movie seem to enjoy passing the blame around. :?

-edit-

And before anyone decides to turn this thread into a vehicle to bash Bay or bring up the racism debate again, just remember, Bay it seems is only responsible for the gold tooth, everything else was still the writers.

So I find it disappointing these two use the interview to highlight the gold tooth when people were getting "offended" over more than just the tooth.

If they truly sympathized they would have apologised for the whole characterisation of the twins, which is what people were offended over, the tooth is just a small aspect. Great way to deflect the blame guys!
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954304)
Posted by SoulReaverprime on July 13th, 2009 @ 4:47pm CDT
Passing blame certainly seems to be the order of the day with this movie. Although I personally enjoyed the movie I thought about 15 minutes could've been cut out. But I find it interesting how these two guys "weren't thrilled" with some of the decisions made in the movie... Maybe that's why they claimed about 2 or 3 months back that they were NOT going to write the third installment?
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954315)
Posted by Bouncy X on July 13th, 2009 @ 4:55pm CDT
i still dont get the big deal.

i personally had no problem with those two and i can see how someone might think they're stupid, pointless or something. but to actually call them offensive? wow...we see "wigger" kids in so many movies and tv shows (not to mention real life) and nobody cares, now two robots do it and its...

OH MY GOD THAT IS SO OFFENSIVE, HOW DARE THEY!!!!

people are just waaaaay too picky about this sorta crap. its just a movie, didnt like it then you never have to see it again. but to constantly harp and complain well that's just your problem. when i dislike things, i avoid them and never speak about them again....problem solved.

and sure my theater doesnt represent the world but a lot of people laughed at their antics and not just the kiddies. so this is just another case of blowing stuff outta proportion and making it seem like a bigger cause than it is.

i bet the people complaining here are some of the same people who accused The Passion of Christ of being "really gory" when in fact it barely was.

anyway i need to return this soap box to the store. :P
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954316)
Posted by prowl123 on July 13th, 2009 @ 5:01pm CDT
So,who put in the gold tooth? Whoever it is you really make me mad!
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954321)
Posted by YRQRM0 on July 13th, 2009 @ 5:08pm CDT
I was more thrown back by Devastator's "testicles". They mocked a legendary character in my opinion...I was excited about his inclusion and then they just ruined him
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954326)
Posted by Kuribohfett on July 13th, 2009 @ 5:22pm CDT
Great this argument again. Since when is this new information? I remember reading this article the day the movie came out.
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954334)
Posted by Cluggernugs on July 13th, 2009 @ 5:38pm CDT
I don't sympathize the viewers at all, to be offended by this is ridiculously stupid. People will try to find anything to cry about these days.
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954337)
Posted by Ultra Magnus on July 13th, 2009 @ 5:41pm CDT
I find this debate rather entertaining. It is Just a movie. However I do hope that someone at Hasbro, Paramount or somewhere decides to make the next movie a bit more tasteful and respectful to the mythos.

I couldn't believe they had Optimus say "Let's Roll" and then fly away...

:roll:
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954345)
Posted by CommandrKetchup on July 13th, 2009 @ 5:54pm CDT
I dont know why they are apologizing for anything. The movie has broken all kinds of records and has made almost $400 million in only three weeks. They should be giving each other high fives. The PC nonsense has got to end.
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954348)
Posted by CrabHeart on July 13th, 2009 @ 6:02pm CDT
i dont understand how it is offenceive. the tf movie made no mention that "skids and mudflap are going to be based on black people" they just made two thug characters. so the people who are truely raceist are the ones who think that haveing a gold toothed character must mean hes black.
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954355)
Posted by Dark Ops on July 13th, 2009 @ 6:10pm CDT
The only thing that really offended me about the movie is that Animated got canceled for that trash. And I /liked/ the first one.
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954357)
Posted by Cryo Prime on July 13th, 2009 @ 6:17pm CDT
good lord, why is this such a big issue. i found Skids and Mudflad funny as hell. i don't remember this much controversy over Jazz when he was labeled a "black transformer" and then was killed off. man people need to grow up. i have many black friends and they all didnt have a problem. and from what i understand its a group of white people who are offended? correct me if im wrong.
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954361)
Posted by First-Aid on July 13th, 2009 @ 6:24pm CDT
I still think this is more about culture than race. If you believe that what the Twins did and said were racist, then you are racist yourself- by stereotyping the culture they represented as exclusive to African Americans. Last time I checked, CULTURE and RACE are two different things. I'm not saying it wasn't a bit over the top, but I'm saying it wasn't racism.

One interesting note on that line: The new movie "G-Force" coming out has a guinea pig that acts in a similar manner (without the rudeness) as the Twins...and the guinea pig itself- Blaster- is a black guinea pig. You suppose we'll be seeing the same kind of complaint when that movie comes out?
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954381)
Posted by Lockdown91 on July 13th, 2009 @ 6:43pm CDT
well isnt that silly, in my opinion, it's being racist in saying "it's racist that skids has a golden tooth, stereotyping black people" because they're stereotyping people themselves, claiming that anyone with a gold tooth must be black. please, i have a golden tooth myself, people get them all the time, mostly to do with dentistry (such as myself) its called getting a crown

clearly skids has just gotten a crown :P

btw ive been looking on this site for well over a year now, looking for news on ROTF and only just right now decided to register, i dont know why i hadn't signed up yet since it only takes 2 seconds :S
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954386)
Posted by ShGarland_1383 on July 13th, 2009 @ 6:50pm CDT
As far as actually being offended by anything, while I technically wasn't actually offended I had bigger problems with Wheelie mounting Mikaela's leg and Simmons'...um...ball bearings joke...than with the twins. (Those were just gross...) That being said, while I feel the twins weren't nearly as bad as I've seen them put over as being, they should have also been one hell of a lot better than they were.
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954401)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on July 13th, 2009 @ 7:09pm CDT
Um they're still partially to blame. They wrote the twins in the script. Hell they're to blame for most of the epic suckage in the film. It might not have been their idea but the wrote it in. Now id really like to know whos bright idea it was to have wheelie hump foxs leg for 5 min. That was worse then the Twins. The twins are annoying as hell but the wheelie thing (and the ball jokes) were the worst parts of all.
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954408)
Posted by wingdarkness on July 13th, 2009 @ 7:22pm CDT
I could give a college course on reading between the lines based on this interview...Although a certain someone might have an E-Ulcer if I were to repeat this, but I'm in a small ulcer-giving mood...

Anyone who thinks Mike Bay lets the writers on his movies dictate things to him about what he ultimately wants, knows NOTHING about this man (I've written extensively on this in other threads)...The talk of the gold-tooth was the harbinger, or microcosm as you will of what Bay's directing style is really like...You think that's their only view on this? You think the "gold-teeth" are the only change Bay made to things they wrote? This man is known for not letting writers even on-set at times...I beg that if you are this naive, atleast be uncaring about it (That's only directed to those who apply)...

Wish I could be LOLing @ the people who are gonna just bypass the thoughts of the persons who wrote this movie they loved by saying it's still bull (The whole racial component regarding the twins--Not that it offended me personally though)...

@SoulReaverPrime - What other controversy has leaked amongst the staff? My catharsis is tingling :-? ...
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954419)
Posted by cybercat on July 13th, 2009 @ 7:44pm CDT
I think it's time I work my usual thread-killing magic. (No, I have no power, I'm just obnoxious).

I'm just a wee bit tired of people thinking that because they're 'offended' by something, that they must be immediately grovelled to. I see people (not here, but you know, in the real life with the great orange ball in the sky) who use the phrase 'I'm offended by that' as some sort of negotiating hammer.

I had a student who went to the Dean because a text I had the class read he found 'offensive'. It was _All Quiet on the Western Front_. He used his 'offended-ness' to demand an automatic A in the class. Yeah, that didn't work out so well for him.

Being offended never killed anyone. There are real problems and there is real bigotry in the world, but trying to pick this gold-tooth battle to fight the war on stereotypes is...completely ridiculous. Fight where the victory would actually count, maybe?

And honestly, I'd have a bit more respect for the writers if they had a backbone. If it's all Bay, stand up for yourselves; if it was partly you, take the frickin' credit, good *or* bad. This halvsie-walvsie stuff is pathetic.

HK, never mind testicles, do men have *spines* anymore?
Re: Kurtzman & Orci "Sympathize" with viewers that were offended by ROTF (954434)
Posted by Solrac333 on July 13th, 2009 @ 8:12pm CDT
So what if he had a gold tooth. Starscream has tattoos. Prime has flames, Megatron has a gimpy hand, Sideswipe has wheelfeet, Jetfire has a cane, Ravage has one eye, Devastator has two balls.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Chromia Comic New MIB NIB MOC 2014" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Seige War For Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro Chromia Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 52 Deluxe Arcee Chromia Elita 1 Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers 2005 Botcon Exclusive Universe Ratchet COMPLETE" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers 2005 Botcon Exclusive Timelines Universe Ironhide w/ weapon" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers War for Cybertron Trilogy Kingdom Optimus Primal" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Autobody Roadbuster SEALED " on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS KINGDOM WAR FOR CYBERTRON TRILOGY BLACKARCHNIA FIGURE NEW IN HAND." on EBAY