Transformers News: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers

Wednesday, December 6th, 2017 4:38AM CST

Categories: Toy News, People News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 13,316

We first reported on the new Netflix 80s nostalgia grab show The Toys That Made us back in January. The series will see 8 focused episodes, each on a different franchise from the last century (yep; millennium too) including Star Wars, Hello Kitty, Lego, Star Trek, GI Joe, Masters of the Universe, Barbie and of course, Transformers.

In June, we then reported that site owner Ryan Yzquierdo will be featuring in the Transformers episode, which will air at some point after the start of the series on December 22nd. Is this post bringing us any new information? Not really, no. Consider it a reminder of some expansion to the Seibertron.com presence in popular media, as Ryan will be featuring alongside comics creator Bob Budiansky, voice legend Peter Cullen, other collectors in the Transformers fandom, and many more! Will you be tuning in?

Credit(s): TTTMU Facebook
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925371)
Posted by Burn on December 6th, 2017 @ 5:00am CST
Is that a worldwide release?
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925372)
Posted by Va'al on December 6th, 2017 @ 5:27am CST
Burn wrote:Is that a worldwide release?

The page is unclear about that. They say yes to people who asked about Germany, Canada, UK and US. Not seen anyone ask about Australia, Japan, or South American countries. So not sure!

OH WAIT: World wide wherever there is Netflx we will be!! THX!!
source: https://www.facebook.com/thetoysthatmad ... 22R9%22%7D
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925373)
Posted by Big Grim on December 6th, 2017 @ 5:48am CST
Rather looking forward to this.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925379)
Posted by BumbleDouche on December 6th, 2017 @ 8:12am CST
Should be interesting, if only to hear how one pronounces "Yzquierdo" :-P
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925380)
Posted by Va'al on December 6th, 2017 @ 8:14am CST
BumbleDouche wrote:Should be interesting, if only to hear how one pronounces "Yzquierdo" :-P

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925398)
Posted by ScottyP on December 6th, 2017 @ 9:40am CST
I feel like Bob Budiansky is collectively our dad and he's always disappointed in us. That's just what his face says.

Meanwhile, Peter Cullen is everyone's awesome uncle that shows up once or twice a year with cool stories and presents.

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925409)
Posted by Seibertron on December 6th, 2017 @ 10:12am CST

LOL! It's pronounced "es - key - are - doe", or how I say it to people over the phone "the letter S, 'key' as in door key, the letter R, and 'dough' as in pizza doe (or 'doe' as in a female deer). :KREMZEEK:
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925415)
Posted by Seibertron on December 6th, 2017 @ 10:47am CST
I am very excited to be a part of The Toys That Made Us. It looks like an amazing show for collectors and fans of these very cherished brands that have had such a huge impact on all of our lives and brought people together from all over the world. It was a really neat experience that I was originally very timid about. Can't wait to see this! :D
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925425)
Posted by o.supreme on December 6th, 2017 @ 12:07pm CST
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925426)
Posted by Va'al on December 6th, 2017 @ 12:15pm CST
o.supreme wrote:I'm excited for this, and Congrats again Ryan! I'm a bit confused on the "...sometime after the premiere" part though ... Netflix usually releases all its episodes of a particular series on the same day...Is this not the case with this series?

They do, but as we were given no direct information on this, I wanted to err on the safer side.
It may very well be that all 8 episodes are released at the same time, of course. :D
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925477)
Posted by Seibertron on December 6th, 2017 @ 6:50pm CST
I'm nervicited about seeing it! Hope I did well and represented the fan community well. The crew made me feel very comfortable. I was in the zone ... aka "Podcast Mode".

A handful of the crew there that day were from the group making the show, and the rest were hired local talent from the Chicagoland area who were manning cameras, setup, etc. I thought that was interesting. I would have figured they would have had a whole crew flying or driving around to different locations, which was probably more reasonable. Never gave that much thought to the behind-the-scenes of a documentary entertainment show like this before, so it surprised when I found that out.

By the end of the day, the host had really impressed me with his knowledge of the brand as well as how comfortable he made me feel. He even provided me with opportunities to correct myself if something was said in error or if I was tongue-tied. His level of education about the brand, specifically the behind-the-scenes stuff with Hasbro, Budiansky, and others, really impressed me. Even though I don't think he was a Transformers fans himself, he had definitely done his homework and research and wasn't reading off a script.

One of the hardest things to do when I was doing this was reusing the questions asked in my responses (i.e. "What's your favorite Transformers toy?" and then I'd have to say "My favorite Transformers toy is ..." instead of just the answer). It seems like it'd be easy to do, and maybe with some more practice it would be, but for my first time around it was a challenge, but I think I did pretty good with it. Sort of felt like a different version of Jeopardy at some point. ;)
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1925495)
Posted by Seibertron on December 6th, 2017 @ 10:35pm CST
Is Brian a member here on Seibertron.com? Just wanted to say thanks to him! I'm quite flattered and very humbled by this. I really hope I represented the fandom well. Hopefully editing takes care of any issues. This is the first time I'll be seeing it! Fingers crossed!

(psst ... it's "say ber tron") ;)
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1926675)
Posted by Va'al on December 14th, 2017 @ 1:15pm CST
We have some more news about the upcoming Netflix documentary The Toys That Made Us, starting on December 22nd worldwide (wherever Netflix is present, we're told) - but only the first four episodes will be released on opening day! Each episode will last between 40 and 50 minutes, and focus on one of the eight franchises chosen by the show creators to illustrate the 1980s toys and their legacy to this day, from a predominantly US perspective.

The official Facebook page has uploaded a couple of shots to illustrate the series, in terms of items shown-off during the episodes and general promotion, and their official page over on Netflix has uploaded a trailer for the first half too, featuring Barbie, Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, and Star Wars. The other four, Lego, Hello Kitty, Star Trek and Transformers, will be released at a later date. Stay tuned to find out more - as we're obviously excited to have Seibertron himself feature in one of the episodes* in person!

Here's our latest official artwork! Fun fact: Both of these vehicles are from the personal collection of Brian Volk-Weiss, the creator of #TTTMU! Don't miss the first four episodes, out 12/22 on Netflix!

*yes, the Hello Kitty one.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1926677)
Posted by o.supreme on December 14th, 2017 @ 1:23pm CST
boo! j/k....Well I am a little disappointed, but I've noticed Netflix doing this a little more lately with other shows. They enable people to "binge", and then are slowly taking that away from them. Well while I personally collected MOTU, I am excited for that one. I never collected SW or GI Joe toys, but am heavy into the lore...I guess they wanted to save the best for last ;)^

Just an educated guess which could be totally wrong, but I'll throw in my prediction for February to have the second round of 4 episodes available.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1927776)
Posted by Burn on December 22nd, 2017 @ 11:12pm CST
Have watched the first four episodes, yes, even the Barbie one, and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

Thanks to this show, I've now convinced my partner to let me get a Skeletor as I've never had one. Who knows what I'll be able to get once the Transformers episode airs. :-P
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1927784)
Posted by Va'al on December 23rd, 2017 @ 12:59am CST
Via the official Facebook page for The Toys That Made Us, the eight part documentary on the leading brands and franchises in the 1980s (mostly in the US, but somewhat globally too), we now have confirmation that the first four episodes have been released for streaming on Netflix!

As a reminder, the first half of the series focuses on Star Wars, Barbie, GI Joe and Masters of the Universe - Transformers will be part of the latter four episodes, to be released soon. Can't wait still? Take a look at both the trailer for the series, and some quick answers from show creator Brian Volk-Weiss about the rationale behind the interviews and features (focusing on the example of Optimus Prime), including the ones that led Seibertron himself into the show! Are you watching? Have you watched it? Let us know in the Energon Pub discussion boards!

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1927809)
Posted by carytheone on December 23rd, 2017 @ 8:41am CST
Watched the first two episodes last night. We enjoyed the format and got our learn on. I was hoping for more in depth looks at various collections though. Still a very enjoyable fun documentary series and I can't wait for a peek at certain site owners collection!
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1927817)
Posted by Cobotron on December 23rd, 2017 @ 10:00am CST
Just watched the first one, Star Wars, and really liked it. I can tell this whole seres is gonna rum ta tum tum on my nostalgia drum. I played with all these toys in my youth. AND BEYOND. Even ol Barb when in a pinch.

Loved the Professor of The Sociology of Star Wars' spiel on the human need to touch or hold something physical that represents something intangible. He compared it to physical religious objects bringing people closer to their beliefs. Brought me comfort in a time I'm doubting my collecting habits.

Excited to watch more. Especially Transformers.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1927880)
Posted by Burn on December 23rd, 2017 @ 5:31pm CST
carytheone wrote:I was hoping for more in depth looks at various collections though.

Same, but when you stop and think about it, that's not what the series is about, it's the history of the toy lines. Seeing a collection (like Rancho Obi-Wan) is an added bonus.

Like that weird naked chick on the seat behind the former Mattel boss. :-P
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Premieres on December 22nd, Feat. Bob Budiansky, Peter Cullen, Ryan Yzquierdo! #TTTMU Transformers (1927896)
Posted by carytheone on December 23rd, 2017 @ 7:48pm CST
Burn wrote:Like that weird naked chick on the seat behind the former Mattel boss. :-P
Yeah, no shit. We've been scratching our head trying to figure out just what the hell is that?

No but you're right, a history lesson was better than just a walk through someone's collection. It wasn't just a history lesson, but a how these things came to be and what it took to make them a reality.

I just literally finished episode 4. Good times. He-Man was great but all the GI Joe feels. I forgot just how deep I was in Joe.

Been a fun ride and I'm totally stoked for the rest... hurry up Netflix!

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Thundercracker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Wreck-Gar" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #209 - Under Siege
"Under Siege"
Posted: Sunday, October 7th, 2018

Buy "Transformers Dotm TOPSPIN Complete Cyberverse Legends Dark of The Moon 3''" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon DOTM Lot Leader Sentinel Ironhide Darksteel" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Mechtech Thundercracker Deluxe Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Dark of the Moon Nitro Bumblebee Figure Deluxe Class Figure" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS DARK OF THE MOON MECHTECH TRACK BATTLE ROADBUSTER AUTOBOT" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie DOTM Deluxe Class Nitro Bumblebee MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Dark of The Moon Deluxe Class NASCAR Topspin MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers dark of the moon Target Exclusive Bumblebee." on EBAY