Transformers News: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU

Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 4:30PM CDT

Category: Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 12,936

Folks, we have a date! The second half of the first season of the Netflix documentary The Toys that Made US - focusing this time on Star Trek, Lego, Hello Kitty, and our very own Transformers - finally has a release confirmation for May 25th 2018, uploaded to all countries that have their own version of Netflix across the globe!

The first half, you'll remember, featured the likes of Barbie, Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, Star Wars toys, and was extremely well received in both fandoms of the respective franchises and the mainstream audiences tuning in to the show, to the point that it has already been renewed for a second season, as we reported here. And remember, this second half will not only feature the likes of Michael Bay, Peter Cullen, Bob Budiansky.. but also our site owner Seibertron himself! Tune in next month, and share your thoughts on the discussion boards.
Credit(s): TTTMU
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1955913)
Posted by shajaki on April 24th, 2018 @ 5:32pm CDT
Bout time! Still... a month... :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1955953)
Posted by WreckerJack on April 24th, 2018 @ 7:55pm CDT
Get the popcorn and soda!
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1956103)
Posted by joevill on April 25th, 2018 @ 8:57am CDT
:BOWDOWN: I cannot wait to see it!
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1957514)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 3rd, 2018 @ 5:27pm CDT
A while ago we let our readers know that season 2 of The Toys That Made Us will be releasing on May 25th. The video embedded below features Hasbro Product Design Manager John Warden (He has helped to design many Combiner Wars figures as well as some from Age of Extinction). While we don't see either in this particular trailer, Peter Cullen and Seibertron himself will be in the episode. Stay tuned!

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1958380)
Posted by Va'al on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:14am CDT
The official Facebook page for the Netflix show The Toys that Made Us - which will be airing its second half of the first season on May 25th, and willfinally include the Transformers episode (featuring our site owner Seibertron himself, too!) - did a live Facebook stream session focusing on the favourite toys that the cast and crew of the documentary still think fondly about.

Using the Hasbro Unicron prototype from the 1980s to promote the stream, and all to drum up interest in the upcoming episodes and next season planned, the clip can now be seen in full and we've embedded it below - featuring the likes of GI Joe, Tech Deck, and Manglor Mountain. Check it out!

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1958442)
Posted by ScottyP on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:02am CDT
Using that Unicron in the promos is a little weird to me. "The Toys That Made Us" just not this one, they canceled it. It's making us theoretical money, that's all.

Minor quibble, I should note. The casual viewer will see that and say "oh yeah Unicron I had that one yeah I 'member" and be none the wiser :)
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1958446)
Posted by Cobotron on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:35am CDT
ScottyP wrote:Using that Unicron in the promos is a little weird to me. "The Toys That Made Us" just not this one, they canceled it.

Yeah! It's "The Toys That Made Us" not, "The Toys That Never Made It". :lol:
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1958455)
Posted by o.supreme on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:57am CDT

I know this is a bit OT, but I kind of wish we had gotten the prototype proposed from the Japanese BW Neo series (that never made it beyond a gray model), rather than the Armada one, that has been the template for most Unicrons thereafter.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1959422)
Posted by ScottyP on May 14th, 2018 @ 1:23pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:Just curious, of the two Unicron Prototypes that have been seen over the years this one (pictured above) is the one more often seen. Appearing at past botcons etc... I wonder...does someone actually own it? Or is it part of a Hasbro Museum (of sorts) and is just featured at cons, and, of course, this documentary.
I recall from the tour of Hasbro (what they could show) during Botcon 2007 that they have archival pieces here and there around the facility, such as one of the handmade original Monopoly boards. I've always assumed the Unicron samples (there are 2 or 3?) were like that and just kept in a case somewhere in Rhode Island. That's never been confirmed, just my best guess at its status.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961443)
Posted by Va'al on May 25th, 2018 @ 12:38am CDT
If you're reading this in a timezone where it's already Friday May 25th, the tenses used in this post may not make sense, but the official Facebook page for the Netflix documentary The Toys That Made Us has sent out a reminder that the second part of the first season (though they sometimes call it second season themselves) is due on the streaming service on the 25th - so tomorrow is in fact today!

The four episodes due for upload will feature Lego, Star Trek, Hello Kitty, and the brand we've all been waiting to see on screen, Transformers! Spanning across multiple media, from the Michael Bay live action movies, the Marvel comics with Bob Budiansky, the toys over at Takara Tomy and Hasbro, and the cartoons with Peter Cullen and others, plus our very own Seibertron, the episode is looking to be extremely entertaining. Give it a look once it's live, and come back to the Energon Pub to share your thoughts!

TOMORROW!
Season 2 of #TTTMU airs on Netflix on May 25!

Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961457)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 25th, 2018 @ 2:04am CDT
It;s up on my netflix right now (it's finally midnight here) so I am gonna go watch!!
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961464)
Posted by Burn on May 25th, 2018 @ 4:57am CDT
Watched it, enjoyed it, though I probably hyped myself up too much for it.

There was definitely stuff I didn't know, particularly how it really all harkens back to the early G.I. Joe figures.

Now I'm trapped watching Hello Kitty ... damn this series makes everything fascinating.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961466)
Posted by Va'al on May 25th, 2018 @ 5:12am CDT
Debating over whether I should go mooch off a friend this weekend, or wait till I get to Japan next week and use my partner's account to watch these. :-?
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961470)
Posted by ausbot on May 25th, 2018 @ 5:49am CDT
I want that VHS transformer.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961516)
Posted by YoungPrime on May 25th, 2018 @ 10:48am CDT

I guess I wouldn't have been so disappointed with this if it didn't take like 2 years to finally release it.
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961522)
Posted by Va'al on May 25th, 2018 @ 11:15am CDT
YoungPrime wrote:Well..... This felt like 45mins of stuff they've already explained over the years at toy fairs, comic Conventions and online interviews.

I mean, it is for wider public and/or more casual audience..!
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961559)
Posted by o.supreme on May 25th, 2018 @ 4:50pm CDT
ausbot wrote:I want that VHS transformer.

Same here. I never knew that even existed! :lol: . What the episode had was great. I would not take anything away from it. However they just kind of skipped from briefly mentioning Beast Wars to jumping straight to the live action film, almost a 20 year gap there, they could have filled maybe 5 or 6 minuets talking about the differences of the toys in international markets. Highlighting fan conventions etc..., after all the SW episode was 51 minuets, while all the others are about 45. Oh well, who knows, if the series goes on for long enough we may get a 2nd Transfomrers episode.

Ryan, it was good to see you. very well done ;)^ .
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961589)
Posted by william-james88 on May 25th, 2018 @ 10:59pm CDT
ausbot wrote:I want that VHS transformer.

Yeah, me too, that thing looked awesome!

Loved the episode. And even though I knew a lot of this stuff, now i have it all condensed with the best visuals yet. And Ryan is a natural.

I love those Takara guys (and Larry Hama, what a champ!)
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961639)
Posted by Va'al on May 26th, 2018 @ 8:03am CDT
We're working on a staff roundtable review of the episode, stay tuned for more this weekend! :D
Re: Netflix The Toys That Made Us Transformers and Other Episodes Releasing on May 25 #TTTMU (1961644)
Posted by shajaki on May 26th, 2018 @ 9:10am CDT
Felt it was overhyped (my own fault not theirs) and I was hoping it would be as funny as the He-man episode. Also I feel it could have been twice as long, but TF's are my jam so that opinion is to be expected.

However I was surprised how much was in there that even I didn't know. I'm no Sabre, but I think my knowledge is pretty extensive. It was great to see the Takara guys, and Cullen. And one thing I love about this show is their ability to find the people who were the inner workings of these creations.

I think what I like most about it, is this is something I can really simply point to to explain my obsession to outsiders. I sat down and watched it with my gf last night :lol:

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Sky Shadow and  Ominus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #230 - The Search for Convoy
"The Search for Convoy"
Posted: Sunday, September 15th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots SALVAGE Garbage Truck Action Figure 2014 Hasbro Rare" on EBAY
Buy "PLAYSKOOL HEROES TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS "HIGH TIDE" 3 1/2" ACTION FIGURE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Morbot" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTCON 2001 COMIC THE WRECKERS BEAST WARS MACHINES MAINFRAME COVER" on EBAY
Buy "2013 Playskool Heroes Transformers Epic Optimus Prime Toy Large 22 Inches" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Thrilling 30 Legend Swerve & Flanker MISB" on EBAY
Buy "**Kaiyodo Revoltech 046 46 Transformers Starscream Figure(JP) Box C8" on EBAY
Buy "Mint Transformers Bumblebee G2 Gold Ver" on EBAY