New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy

New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy

Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 8:37pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, Digital Media News
Posted by: DevastaTTor   Views: 64,338

New images of Takara Tomy's upcoming Masterpiece Rodimus Convoy featured in the December issue of Dengeki Hobby have been scanned and posted to the CyberGundam blog pages. The two-page spread gives us a closer look at the figure's dual robot and vehicle modes and highlights Hot Rodimus' (Hot Rod's) opening canopy in car mode. We also get clearer looks at the gimmicks: the retracting visor, the two-mode gun, and saw and welding torch accessories. The scanned pages also point out the joints where the legs click down to give us the height difference between the two robot modes and feature pictures of the mail-away base. This figure is scheduled for a January 2011 release.

To view the original post, click HERE.

Credit(s): Dengeki Hobby, CyberGundam Blog

This article was last modified on Saturday, October 23rd, 2010 9:44pm CDT

Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139053)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on October 23rd, 2010 @ 9:15pm CDT
ugh what a boring rendition of Hotrod/Rodimus. The blandest piece of titikacka ever. They got the car mode wrong, that shape is slipper, opposed to the more round sleekness it should have, centered more in the center than stuffed up towards the back, and is it just me or do those hubcabs look like total a$$? If you put MP Grimlock next to this, this thing wouldn't even be thought of as a product from the same makers. Sorry to harsh pre-orderers' buzz... just saying. We need better stuff for the forked out dough. I WILL, however, say that the opening cockpit is pretty sweet. The rest can suck a fatty...

:CON:
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139056)
Posted by Agamemnon on October 23rd, 2010 @ 9:21pm CDT

Now, if only we could answer the Matrix question.

And I have to disagree with MINDVVIPE. In many ways, there were some compromises made with MP Optimus that could be criticized as well. Compared to the G1 Rodimus Prime toy we have, this thing is pretty, well, pretty! Outside of FansProject's Protector, and Maybe Titanium Rodimus, this is a more than decent rendition for a Masterpiece.

Now if only it will only show up complete at Toys R Us in the states. Please keep the Trailer, Hasbro!!
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139057)
Posted by DevastaTTor on October 23rd, 2010 @ 9:22pm CDT
I like this figure but not 200 dollars like. I'll definitely be waiting for the Hasbro release-the color couldn't be much worse and I don't need/want the trailer anyway.

And it's nice to finally be able to post some news while I'm here in China!
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139059)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on October 23rd, 2010 @ 9:28pm CDT
Agamemnon wrote: Please keep the Trailer, Hasbro!!

I think it's already been confirmed that they wouldn't. Only Hot Rod will be released in the U.S.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139060)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on October 23rd, 2010 @ 9:28pm CDT
Agamemnon wrote:Yippee! He has his hand saw. I know, a weird thing to be excited about. Maybe it's the Saw marathon on SyFy.

Now, if only we could answer the Matrix question.

your WRONG!!!...ALL WRONG!!
hehe j/k...but not.

And for ze record, My classics hotrod has got it all, including the right scale I need for the classics universe theme. I actually didn't care for the FP rodimus upgrade, its cool, but I never really accepted HotRod as a prime... kinda like how the Jews haven't accepted Jesus. hehe.
No but really, i figure if i got an Optimus Prime in my collection, Hotrod gives up the title. Coz you know, hah... like prime would take that... probably slap hotrod around till he writes a mosaic about how prime bitchslapped him around.......... *hint

:CON:
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139087)
Posted by kirbenvost on October 24th, 2010 @ 12:20am CDT
His face is too white. Other than that, he looks good, but I'm starting to doubt if I want the Takara version.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139091)
Posted by Pyrostrata on October 24th, 2010 @ 1:16am CDT

....but this piece of plastic and engineering love is a work of art. Just a stunning MP-treatment of the Matrix-stealing Prime-killer. :lol:

I can hear you screaming all the way over here, Skice!
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139096)
Posted by MGrotusque on October 24th, 2010 @ 2:21am CDT
i think i'm gonna cancel my pre order. Just not feelin the love for this one. Was stoked at first but i think it'll be easy to walk away from.
I honestly don't like the car mode.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139112)
Posted by Lapse Of Reason on October 24th, 2010 @ 6:01am CDT
I'm here to balance some of the hate. I LOVE the look of this figure. Can't wait for my preorder to come in. It is worth the $200 to me.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139117)
Posted by frogbat on October 24th, 2010 @ 6:26am CDT
at first i was sceptical but the more i saw the more i liked. Very disappointed with hasbro not releasing the full version

because that would be a masterpiece hot rod and not rodimus! Thing is.. he's a great mp rodimus but not the best rendition of hot rod in vehicle mode.

i'm more than satisfied with the classics hot rod rendition.

I have the original rodimus toy and even though i have all the pieces, he's such a crap robot that i keep him in alt mode with buzzsaw perced on him for decoration (he get's no respect!)

i'd be willing to pay a max of 100-120 euro/usd for the mp with the trailer... anyone need a spare kidney?

also.. are there any pics with a size comparison - haven't quite grasped the scale of this guy yet
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139120)
Posted by Prime Riblet on October 24th, 2010 @ 6:53am CDT
Pyrostrata wrote:I am a self-professed Rodimus-hater.....I cannot, nor will not, ever stand this character...He pisses me off by just existing........

I can hear you screaming all the way over here, Skice!

Your post is really on the money, imo. If I didn't think the character sucked, I would gladly spend the $200. I think it is very well done. I will just wait and hope the next MP figure will be done as well.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139123)
Posted by Snagglepus on October 24th, 2010 @ 7:11am CDT
I've watched the animated movie several times to compare the actual MP Hotrod vehicle mode to that of which the toy is based off of and it's dead on. I'm not sure if those who compare it are using the toy we received under the G1 line for comparisons or not but it's been my understanding that the MP line is to be based off of the G1 cartoon (or in this case the animated movie) for accurate representations of color schemes transformations and of course gimmicks/features.

The only variance I can see with the car mode of Hotrod to that of the movie is the spoiler. Outside of that given that this toy is 2 robots and 2 vehicles in one the approach idea and execution are spot on.

All things considered I think we all have to keep in mind the material used to produce the masterpiece line is subject to some interpretations and based on overall expense to produce these figures they will never be perfect as to how we the collector's or fans think they should be.

I mean lets be honest you're already bitching about the price of $200 being to expensive could you imagine what the cost would be if this or any other MP figure would be if it were "perfectly designed" in our eyes. None of us would buy them.

Every MP figure released to date has it's flaws and short comings. Grimmy is to short for scale comparisons (again money issues), the seekers have a samurai look to them with the waist kibble but in reality this isn't terribly bad, Magnus isn't Magnus simply because he's a straight repaint of MP Prime, and Megatron's legs aren't "anime accurate" (to thin).

Rumor has it Magnus is getting a second production run. Maybe Takara figured out how to produce the trailer and armor upgrade for him without making the price to ridiculous but again expect the price to be around $200 - $250 if this is the case.

All things considered these are my opinions based on the MP line and my interpretations of their executions. I really enjoy this line and hope to see it produced for a very long time. I also think the next several years are going to be very exciting for transformer fans as it seems an explosion is unfolding before us. I think with the emergence of the 3rd party companies like Fans Project, I-Gear Toys, etc etc producing such high quality figures and accessories/upgrades for current market transformers. This will make Takara and Hasbro rethink and ultimately produce a better product over all. We basically know if they these two want do it or at least attempt it a third party company will and do it very well. I think this is why you are starting to see more and more slight retool's of figure's instead of straight repaints like Hasbro use to do.

My wall of text is done, thanks for reading.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139124)
Posted by Cyber Bishop on October 24th, 2010 @ 7:20am CDT
I am not the biggest Rodimus fan but man that thing is a work of transformable art... A bit too high priced for me though.

Makes me wonder, it would be great for a MP Kup.. But his transformation would most likely be simplistic and no one seems to want a simplistic transformation (I don't care if it is easy or difficult)..

I wonder what else is up the pike as far as MP's go now?
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139149)
Posted by REMINATOR on October 24th, 2010 @ 9:26am CDT
Snagglepus wrote:

This rumor is definitely new to me. I haven't seen any board talks about it so far excluding the previous MP2 Reissue (w/ Tomy logo) and newly release Igear Magnus w/ trailer to follow.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139174)
Posted by DMSL on October 24th, 2010 @ 11:17am CDT
I htink this figure looks awesome!

The only thing they could screw up now is his size. He definately should be in scale with MP Prime.

Also, it would be cool if they included a Daniel figure to sit in the cockpit.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139245)
Posted by Sodan-1 on October 24th, 2010 @ 2:59pm CDT
What is meant by mail-away base?
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139253)
Posted by evers on October 24th, 2010 @ 3:13pm CDT
Never was a Rodimus Prime fan loved hot rod so may wait till the US version unless the base is uber cool and I just don't know it
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139255)
Posted by Sodan-1 on October 24th, 2010 @ 3:17pm CDT
evers wrote:Ok so that base is the Mail away base you can get if you order all the 2010 transformers items? and what does this base do?

Oh that base! Geez I'm being dumb tonight. I thought it was talking about the base Rodimus' trailer transforms in to. I'll leave now.
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139261)
Posted by MINDVVIPE on October 24th, 2010 @ 3:26pm CDT
HotRod.jpg

I'm sorry, theres just no way the attached pic of HotRod is done right in those pics. How you can tell? Silhouette. If the silhouette blows, then the object looks like crap. I figured why though, its coz they had to make the back of the car turn into the truck, (i know everyone already knew this), but that, and the exceedingly long front just makes it look like garbage, but yea, i'm done bad mouthing it.

:CON:
Re: New Dengeki Hobby Scans of Takara Tomy's MP Rodimus Convoy (1139263)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on October 24th, 2010 @ 3:30pm CDT
REMINATOR wrote:
Snagglepus wrote:

You mean third: he already had his second, along with Trailer MP Convoy.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #278 - The Return of Rodimus Prime
"The Return of Rodimus Prime"
Posted: Sunday, June 13th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Construct Bots Kit & Parts By Hasbro Ultimate Class E1:01 Megatron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers AOE Deluxe Lot. Crosshairs and Drift" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Loyal Subjects Optimus Prime Action Figure Funko Pop Autobot" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Shrapnel insecticon in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 ramjet Seeker 2/16 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Sideswipe Autobot 84 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "The Loyal Subjects Transformers Series 2 Thrust Seeker 2/16 in box- opened bag" on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Construct-Bots Optimus Prime Vs. Megatron Construction Set" on EBAY