New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014

New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014

Thursday, December 12th, 2013 1:04pm CST

Categories: Comic Book News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 33,128

Diamond Comics Distribution's PREVIEWSworld website has just revealed the twelve Gold Sponsor comics for Free Comic Book Day 2014. Our favourite transforming robots have made the cut again, after 2012's ReGeneration One #80.5, and this time, they're not alone: IDW Publishing's offering for the Gold Sponsor tier is the first issue of the new ongoing series of Transformers vs G.I. Joe, co-written by Tom Scioli and John Barber, with art by Tom Scioli. Check out the cover image below, as well as more details on the issue and the FCBD initiative.

IDW – TRANSFORMERS VS. G.I. JOE

(W) Tom Scioli, John Barber (A/CA) Tom Scioli

Two titans of pop culture clash in the kick-off of an all-new, all-action ongoing series! When Earth is threatened by giant machine life from outer space, the planet’s greatest heroes unite—but will they be enough? From the pulse-pounding pen of visionary artist Tom Scioli begins the most cosmic crossover of all time!

Transformers News: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014

The Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) Committee has selected its twelve Gold Sponsor comic book titles for the comic book industry’s top annual event, Free Comic Book Day, scheduled for Saturday, May 3rd, 2014 at participating comic book shops. Next year marks the largest Free Comic Book Day ever with 60 comics available to choose from including fan-favorite and new comic book characters that encourages readers to explore the fun and excitement that comics have to offer.

Chosen by comic shop retailers on the FCBD Committee, there’s a free comic book for everyone’s taste from the Gold Sponsors: from superheroes, to action- adventure, and all-ages favorites.

“Once again, comic book publishers are giving fans what they want: great stories with recognizable characters all inside a free comic book!” said Dan Manser, FCBD spokesperson. “This year’s Gold Sponsors are comprised of the top publishers in the comics industry we we’re sure that fans will be pleased with the line-up. We look forward to seeing all the fans during Free Comic Book Day at participating comic shops across the nation and worldwide.”

A complete listing of all sixty FCBD titles, including the twelve Gold and forty-eight Silver comic books, can be found in the January issue of Diamond Comic Distributors’ PREVIEWS catalog, on sale at all comic book shops January 1, 2014 . Look for a separate announcement next Thursday, December 19, about FCBD’s 2014 Silver Sponsors and their comic book titles.

Credit(s): PREVIEWSworld

This article was last modified on Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 10:06am CST

Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1534775)
Posted by Sabrblade on December 12th, 2013 @ 1:10pm CST
Are those... evil plant vines?
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1534780)
Posted by Fiasco_One on December 12th, 2013 @ 1:17pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:Are those... evil plant vines?

Those are Destro's evil plants from the Revenge of Cobra and it looks like Roadblock is stuck fighting with them again.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1534858)
Posted by T-Macksimus on December 12th, 2013 @ 8:42pm CST
As much as I am a fan of the past crossover/versus books I'm really hoping that the content of this upcoming series is more along the lines of both parties being like their current forms. I may be from the the classic G1 generation and I grew up with the original Marvel Joe and TF books but I have enjoyed how both lines have evolved in the comics over the years and have no desire to see a "retro" style book done. The cover is a nice bit of nostalgia and I'm cool with it so long as what's inside is more up to date. There's a lot of potential there for a fun line and if it's contemporary then I guess I'll have to add another title each month to my growing collection.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1535977)
Posted by Va'al on December 17th, 2013 @ 10:08am CST
Updated with better sized image!
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1543806)
Posted by Va'al on January 21st, 2014 @ 5:52pm CST
In preparation of the upcoming Free Comic Book Day issue 1 of the new Transformers vs G.I. Joe ongoing series, writer and artist Tom Scioli talks on his blog about the research process that has gone into the series, and shows off some of his notebook pages. Check out his full blog post here, and some snippets below!

I’ve just completed the artwork for the inaugural Free Comic Book Day issue of Transformers vs. G.I.Joe. I want nothing more than to share it with the world immediately, but it’s not a webcomic, at least not yet. What I can share are the notes and sketches I did in preparation for working on this series.

[...]

I remember a toy, a set of plastic armor that allowed you to become an Autobot. I’m considering using that design as the basis for a cybernetic armor worn by Autobot-allied humans in the story. Although it’s not the driving force of the project, some of the appeal for me is linking it to the parts of these mythologies that resonated with me as a child, and in a way continue to resonate with me. There’s a generational aspect to these things. There was a generation that really basked in the glow of Marvel superheroes and created compelling second-generation work with those characters that someone from the generation before and after would be incapable of for the reason that these characters did not resonate with them in the same way. I feel like something similar is happening with this project. I was 8 when these characters, toys and cartoons were new. They were of the moment, but as far as I knew, they could’ve been around for a thousand years.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550042)
Posted by Va'al on February 12th, 2014 @ 12:46pm CST
Courtesy of the Free Comic Book Day website, we get a look at the first pages of the Tom Scioli written and drawn Transformers vs. G.I. Joe first issue, in a new ongoing series from IDW Publishing. Check out the images below - will you be attempting to get this free issue come May?

Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550043)
Posted by helli0n on February 12th, 2014 @ 12:47pm CST
IDW has posted a PDF preview of the issue on Twitter.

IDW TF VS GI JOE Preview Tweet

Direct Link to the Preview PDF
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550047)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 12th, 2014 @ 12:49pm CST
The slag is up with the speaking bubbles for Bee and Screamer? Why did they feel compelled to give them two separate bodies of speech (one nonsensical and one translating off to the side) instead of just putting the words into the main bubbles and single little note off the side telling us that they're speaking Cybertronian? This as it is just feels like a waist of space.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550049)
Posted by morphobots on February 12th, 2014 @ 1:05pm CST
I see a lot more here that's a waste of space than just the nonsense bubbles.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550053)
Posted by Mkall on February 12th, 2014 @ 1:15pm CST
I get that they're trying for the 80's vibe, but no... just no.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550054)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on February 12th, 2014 @ 1:20pm CST
Yikes......this made me cringe, both the art and dialog.makes me nostalgic for the Dreamwave days (yuck, cant believe i said that *self administers fortey lashes*)
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550066)
Posted by Bouncy X on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:01pm CST
looks like it was made in the 80s and i don't mean that in a good way.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550067)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:01pm CST
And does Starscream transform into the Nemesis now?
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550071)
Posted by jgilkinson on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:16pm CST
So snake eyes talks and doesnt wear a mask... I was looking forward to this book before now. Easy pass
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550072)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:23pm CST
jgilkinson wrote:So snake eyes talks and doesnt wear a mask...
Not yet at least. Snake-Eyes wasn't always silent and masked. Another TF/Joe crossover from 2004 had Snake-Eyes as a maskless chatterbox in the first issue, but by that issue's end, an attack by Starscream rendered his face hideously scarred and his voice lost. By the second issue, his face was concealed and he donned the full ninja attire.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550081)
Posted by Seibertron on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:45pm CST
I don't think this is what fans of either property had in mind when we said we wanted a Transformers vs G.I. Joe crossover.
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550088)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 12th, 2014 @ 2:54pm CST
Wait what? This is an ongoing series now? This isn't like a stupid sex issue mini series or something, it's a full blown ongoing?

They won't make a comic continuing TF Animated, but they're making this an ongoing. Seriously, an ongoing?

This looks like something I drew as a kid, this was stupid when I thought it was a one off thing, but an ONGOING, a f**king ONGOING?

Is idw high or something?
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550090)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:02pm CST
This is hilarious, I love and hate it!
Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550093)
Posted by Seibertron on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:03pm CST
Hey everyone ... these will help

Re: New IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe Ongoing to Debut on Free Comic Book Day 2014 (1550097)
Posted by Dead Metal on February 12th, 2014 @ 3:09pm CST
Seibertron wrote:Hey everyone ... these will help

Here's a neat little fact: You will die of alcohol poisoning before this starts looking better.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
"Call Me 2020"
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers generations Combiner Wars Skywarp" on EBAY
Buy "Vortex Decepticon Transformers Generations Fall of Cybertron 2012 Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Generations Combiner Wars Thundercracker Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Transformers Starscream Masterpiece MP-3 Figure New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Headmaster Reissue Hardhead Chromedome Brainstorm Mindwipe Set of 4" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS LOT RHINOX SOUNDWAVE DOUBLEDEALER USA HASBRO" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Jazware Zoteki Battle On Cybertron Rare Hot Toy Collectible" on EBAY