No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record

No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record

Thursday, June 25th, 2009 11:59am CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Digital Media News, Editorials
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 26,619

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

In a report done by Variety's Pamela McClintock, the one day earnings for Transformers Revenge of the Fallen is revealed.

Factoring the $16 million that the hit sequel earned domestically, making it the largest Wednesday Midnight release ever, we find that the total one day earnings for the film put it at $60.6 million dollars, surpassing the previous record holder Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which earned $44.2 million on a Wednesday.

Revenge of the Fallen also earned an IMAX showing record of $1 milllion being shown on 169 screens.

Panela McClintock also stated that Transformers 2, playing in more than 4,200 runs, has a strong shot at eclipsing the $152.4 million earned by “Spider-Man 2” in its first five days. That film opened on the same Wednesday in 2004.

As the records break, will keep you posted right here at Seibertron.com.

Credit(s): Variety


This article was last modified on Thursday, June 25th, 2009 12:04pm CDT

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942228)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 25th, 2009 @ 1:25pm CDT
$16 of that was from me!!! :P

The Dark Knight made $203m in its first 5 days, let's see if TF2 can beat that. I hope so. $143m to go! I think sales will lull today and pick up on Friday and Saturday (when I will go see it for a 3rd time, it's that good) and finish even on Sunday. All in all, I think it will hit $200m, and give Paramount a reason to make TF3 just for the cash, if nothing else.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942298)
Posted by Hoppercool on June 25th, 2009 @ 3:08pm CDT
Unfortunately, no matter how much money it makes, it's a film that appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's a terrible movie. Roger Ebert hit the nail on the head with his review.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942354)
Posted by gstommylee on June 25th, 2009 @ 4:01pm CDT
Hoppercool wrote:Unfortunately, no matter how much money it makes, it's a film that appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's a terrible movie. Roger Ebert hit the nail on the head with his review.


The critics were dead wrong. A critic review is just their opinion and Majority of the people that saw it yesterday in the states and international disagree. The ultimate movie critic are the movie goers that see the movie not some movie critics that get paid to say a movie is crap when its truly is not. TF2 is a well liked movie the 60.6m opening day and the 59m it made internationally shows it.

A truly crappy movie would not make these kind of #s in one or even two day.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942362)
Posted by Galvatron628 on June 25th, 2009 @ 4:08pm CDT
I haven't seen the movie yet (got my Imax tickets for 3:30p.m. tommorrow) but from what I've seen IGN likes it,and amongst fan review sites its got an 87% approval rating. Does the critic response really suprise anyone? Remember the first TF movie? I am a bit suprised that Roger Ebert liked the first one but hates this one.

I do know E! etertainment liked it. They said it was bigger and better in every way over the first movie.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942379)
Posted by Autobobby1 on June 25th, 2009 @ 4:23pm CDT
Hoppercool wrote:Unfortunately, no matter how much money it makes, it's a film that appeals to the lowest common denominator. It's a terrible movie. Roger Ebert hit the nail on the head with his review.

Terrible movies don't make this much money.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942406)
Posted by flix on June 25th, 2009 @ 4:56pm CDT
Good stuff!
but I'm affraid as I reflect on the movie I have to agree with a lot of negative comments... It's cool that the're breaking records, But it would have been cooler if the film would have been a lot better.

I did not think the film was terrible but it wasn't very good either. hopefully the next movie will be more balanced like the first one and make up for this.

but the toys are cool, so you can create a better version of ROTF at home :grin:

PS and it's possible the movie will grow on me as I'll probably watch it again and again later.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942458)
Posted by Optimal_Z on June 25th, 2009 @ 5:46pm CDT
People should know not to go by critics reviews. Fans views are always the ones that count! And only real tformer fans would like/love the movie no matter what. Who cares if it's different from when we were growing up. I'm 29 and I grew up to transformers and it's ALWAYS been cartoon based, which I do love, but now these movies are bringing some of our favorite characters to life. Also, with talks about dinobots & Galvatron in TF3....that's freakin awesome! That's the best thing about it IMO. :grin:
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942472)
Posted by First Gen on June 25th, 2009 @ 6:01pm CDT
Optimal_Z wrote: And only real tformer fans would like/love the movie no matter what.


No, not true at all. I'm a die hard fan since G1 and I was very disappointed with the film. Not cause of the characters or anything like that, but because it has no consistancy. Everyone bashed the first film for silly reasons like "Oh its not G1" "Oh the TF's look to alien", this film just lets you down cause it doesn't stay on track with the first film. No continuity whatsoever save the main characters and mentioning the Allspark.

But I did absolutely love the more robot screentime, that was a huge plus.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942496)
Posted by Prime Riblet on June 25th, 2009 @ 6:48pm CDT
How much screen time does Sideswipe actually get? just asking. from other posts, I am expecting to see very little of that guy when I FINALLY get to watch the movie.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942535)
Posted by Ronynus Prime on June 25th, 2009 @ 8:05pm CDT
I don't quite understand what the problems were for those who call themselves Transformers fans. It really took alot from almost every continuity to appease any fan. Here's where RotF remained in-continuity with the first 2007 film:

[CAUTION: SPOILERS]

* - Prime's dialogue at the end of the film confirm he transmitted the message to outlying star systems. It can be further acertained that, from the way the narrations are constructed in both films, he is creating a recorded journal of the events of the war and his time on Earth... just as any commanding officer might do in his spare time.

* - Megatron laments in RotF that with the All Spark gone, the power and knowledge needed to further their race (so as to militarize & control them), to which "The Fallen" responds by revealing that the Cube was merely a vessel and the Cube's power and knowledge merely took a new form; the knowledge obviously transferred into Sam, and the power transferred into Megatron. The transfer wasn't complete however (due to two pieces of the All Spark Cube not being able to complete said transfers), as evidenced by the fact that Sam's cyberglyphic knowledge didn't kick in until after he touched & looked at the Cube splint (it's last bit of energy transforming his kitchen appliances and later re-invigorating the dormant Jetfire) and the fact that the Cube Shard fully embued Megatron with enough energy to fully reformat the cannibalized parts from the Hightower drone into his superstructure - creating an all new tertiary form (his tank mode).

* - Sam seeing symbols and acting extremely strange after touching the Shard jives with his great grandfather seeing symbols and acting strange (apart from going blind from the literally blinding energy) after Megatron instantly copied/transferred random information about his race and the Cube to him upon being touched.

* - Scorponok was last seen retreating into the sand wounded and broken. A full two years after the event in Qatar, Scorponok was no doubt alerted about the conflict in Egypt via Soundwave's updates in time enough to critically damage Jetfire before being severely crushed by him. The transformers of the film universe have been confirmed to be able to grow back parts like lizards grow back tails, just as thoroughly as any living organism would heal. This is also shown in the first film when we see that Blackout has grown back the parts to his vehicle mode that Scorponok originally composed.

* - Simmons refers to Sam as 'the case that closed Sector 7'. This makes sense in that Sam's actions in assisting the Autobots (i.e. giving them the glasses, having Bumblebee freed, as well as being the great grandson of the person that blew everything wide open so early) proved that Sector 7's advanced research status was unsuitable for such an inept division of the government. It was shut down because the events two years prior had proven it obsolete.

* - Prime refering to "the Spark in [his] chest" from the first film jives with him not having the Matrix of Leadership in his chest cavity; he didn't even know such an artifact existed. The artifact itself only powered Prime up enough to be physically repaired before being stolen by "The Fallen", Jetfire's Seeker abilities further enhancing him in time to destroy the Harvester and (presumably) the Matrix that powered it.

Items of note:

- It is not known how "The Fallen" escaped his inter-dimensional imprisonment, but he is seen connected to many power cables in his first appearance in the film. Considering the point made about that fact that the Protoforms contained on the Nemisis need more Energon to fully form, perhaps the cables hooked up to "The Fallen" indicate he was funneling portions of his massive amounts of energy to the budding Protoforms.

- Ratchet's Plasma device that was created to aid in the repair of Bumblebee's complex voice box components did not work; not only did Ratchet claim he was "still working on them" two years earlier, but he doesn't seem to confident in his device to begin with, tapping it after he uses it on Bumblebee, as if he wasn't satisfied with it. Still, Bumblebee is "playing it up" for sympathy's sake. :-P

- The Audi automobile chased & destroyed in Shanghai my very well be Barricade; the robot mode is ASTOUNDINGLY similar. It was made clear in official prequel material that NEST simply could not catch him due to his uncanny ability to elude them during his fact-finding missions after the events of the first film. Considering how adept he is at gaining information, he could have travelled to China (perhaps picking up different alternate modes along the way) to aid Demolishor in prepairing for both "The Fallen"'s and Megatron's return; once Demolishor was engaged by the enemy, Barricade fled in order to further the preparations and perhaps warn that the Autobots were getting better at catching & defeating them... until he was utterly destroyed by Sideswipe.

:mrgreen:
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942547)
Posted by Hoppercool on June 25th, 2009 @ 8:35pm CDT
Optimal_Z wrote:And only real tformer fans would like/love the movie no matter what.


Uh, really? So it doesn't matter if the film is good or not. Just because it's a Transformers movie you automatically like it? You're a sheep, plain and simple.

And it has nothing to do with whether or not it's different from what I grew up with. It's just a really dumb movie, and it'll be quickly forgotten. Bring your girl to the movie (if you have one), and I'll bet $90 million she'll be yawning through the entire thing.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942553)
Posted by Hoppercool on June 25th, 2009 @ 8:43pm CDT
This is my favorite line so far about the movie, from Peter Travers of Rolling Stone:

"Transformers: The Revenge of The Fallen is beyond bad, it carves out its own category of godawfulness. And, please, you don't have to remind me that the original was a colossal hit ($700 million worldwide) and the sequel will probably do just as well. I know it's popular. So is junk food, and they both poison your insides and rot your brain. But I do accept that Bay is unique. No one can top him for telling a story with such striking, shrieking incoherence."

Just had to share that with you people.
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942690)
Posted by bumble_bee_68 on June 26th, 2009 @ 12:04am CDT
PlasmaPrime wrote:I don't quite understand what the problems were for those who call themselves Transformers fans. It really took alot from almost every continuity to appease any fan. Here's where RotF remained in-continuity with the first 2007 film:

[CAUTION: SPOILERS]

* - Prime's dialogue at the end of the film confirm he transmitted the message to outlying star systems. It can be further acertained that, from the way the narrations are constructed in both films, he is creating a recorded journal of the events of the war and his time on Earth... just as any commanding officer might do in his spare time.

* - Megatron laments in RotF that with the All Spark gone, the power and knowledge needed to further their race (so as to militarize & control them), to which "The Fallen" responds by revealing that the Cube was merely a vessel and the Cube's power and knowledge merely took a new form; the knowledge obviously transferred into Sam, and the power transferred into Megatron. The transfer wasn't complete however (due to two pieces of the All Spark Cube not being able to complete said transfers), as evidenced by the fact that Sam's cyberglyphic knowledge didn't kick in until after he touched & looked at the Cube splint (it's last bit of energy transforming his kitchen appliances and later re-invigorating the dormant Jetfire) and the fact that the Cube Shard fully embued Megatron with enough energy to fully reformat the cannibalized parts from the Hightower drone into his superstructure - creating an all new tertiary form (his tank mode).

* - Sam seeing symbols and acting extremely strange after touching the Shard jives with his great grandfather seeing symbols and acting strange (apart from going blind from the literally blinding energy) after Megatron instantly copied/transferred random information about his race and the Cube to him upon being touched.

* - Scorponok was last seen retreating into the sand wounded and broken. A full two years after the event in Qatar, Scorponok was no doubt alerted about the conflict in Egypt via Soundwave's updates in time enough to critically damage Jetfire before being severely crushed by him. The transformers of the film universe have been confirmed to be able to grow back parts like lizards grow back tails, just as thoroughly as any living organism would heal. This is also shown in the first film when we see that Blackout has grown back the parts to his vehicle mode that Scorponok originally composed.

* - Simmons refers to Sam as 'the case that closed Sector 7'. This makes sense in that Sam's actions in assisting the Autobots (i.e. giving them the glasses, having Bumblebee freed, as well as being the great grandson of the person that blew everything wide open so early) proved that Sector 7's advanced research status was unsuitable for such an inept division of the government. It was shut down because the events two years prior had proven it obsolete.

* - Prime refering to "the Spark in [his] chest" from the first film jives with him not having the Matrix of Leadership in his chest cavity; he didn't even know such an artifact existed. The artifact itself only powered Prime up enough to be physically repaired before being stolen by "The Fallen", Jetfire's Seeker abilities further enhancing him in time to destroy the Harvester and (presumably) the Matrix that powered it.

Items of note:

- It is not known how "The Fallen" escaped his inter-dimensional imprisonment, but he is seen connected to many power cables in his first appearance in the film. Considering the point made about that fact that the Protoforms contained on the Nemisis need more Energon to fully form, perhaps the cables hooked up to "The Fallen" indicate he was funneling portions of his massive amounts of energy to the budding Protoforms.

- Ratchet's Plasma device that was created to aid in the repair of Bumblebee's complex voice box components did not work; not only did Ratchet claim he was "still working on them" two years earlier, but he doesn't seem to confident in his device to begin with, tapping it after he uses it on Bumblebee, as if he wasn't satisfied with it. Still, Bumblebee is "playing it up" for sympathy's sake. :-P

- The Audi automobile chased & destroyed in Shanghai my very well be Barricade; the robot mode is ASTOUNDINGLY similar. It was made clear in official prequel material that NEST simply could not catch him due to his uncanny ability to elude them during his fact-finding missions after the events of the first film. Considering how adept he is at gaining information, he could have travelled to China (perhaps picking up different alternate modes along the way) to aid Demolishor in prepairing for both "The Fallen"'s and Megatron's return; once Demolishor was engaged by the enemy, Barricade fled in order to further the preparations and perhaps warn that the Autobots were getting better at catching & defeating them... until he was utterly destroyed by Sideswipe.

:mrgreen:



You sir, hit the head on every nail :)

And yes, I too believe the Audi being chased by Sideswipe could've very well been Barricade in a different vehicle alt mode, and both toys faces, doors how they point upwards in bot mode, and "weapons" AKA the saw blade look very similar to me as well :wink:
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942730)
Posted by flix on June 26th, 2009 @ 1:01am CDT
First Gen wrote:
Optimal_Z wrote: And only real tformer fans would like/love the movie no matter what.


No, not true at all. I'm a die hard fan since G1 and I was very disappointed with the film. Not cause of the characters or anything like that, but because it has no consistancy. Everyone bashed the first film for silly reasons like "Oh its not G1" "Oh the TF's look to alien", this film just lets you down cause it doesn't stay on track with the first film. No continuity whatsoever save the main characters and mentioning the Allspark.

But I did absolutely love the more robot screentime, that was a huge plus.


I totally agree, the design of the robots is awesome. but the story and action is too fragmented. You get to see a lot but in the end it all wasn't that important to the story.
and we definitely need more screen time for the robots less for the humans. like Starscream and Megatron they were great!



Hoppercool wrote:Bring your girl to the movie (if you have one), and I'll bet $90 million she'll be yawning through the entire thing.




My wife actually liked it more than me... I'll have that 90 million now :grin:
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942758)
Posted by Optimal_Z on June 26th, 2009 @ 2:33am CDT
First Gen wrote:
Optimal_Z wrote: And only real tformer fans would like/love the movie no matter what.


No, not true at all. I'm a die hard fan since G1 and I was very disappointed with the film. Not cause of the characters or anything like that, but because it has no consistancy. Everyone bashed the first film for silly reasons like "Oh its not G1" "Oh the TF's look to alien", this film just lets you down cause it doesn't stay on track with the first film. No continuity whatsoever save the main characters and mentioning the Allspark.

But I did absolutely love the more robot screentime, that was a huge plus.


I do have to say that I agree wit you. I should retract my statement about real tformer fans liking/loving the movies. I didn't know I'd hit a soft spot for some girls out there lol. No need for peeps to get hostile. But I did love the movie.....I'm entitled to that. I'm sure that if every member of this site were kids again and saw these movies, they wouldn't pay too much attention to all the detail and think the movie was simply awesome. So basically it brings out the kid in you. Can people accept that or is this gonna cause hissy fits lol?! Remember everyone, we're all on the same team. :APPLAUSE:
BTW this isn't directed towards you 1st Gen, jus in case you were thinkin that. It's meant for the fan to fan bashers haha! ;)^
Re: No Surprise: Transformers ROTF "Demolishes" Wednesday Box Office Record (942902)
Posted by Darkclyde on June 26th, 2009 @ 9:14am CDT
got to agree with above posting.... yep transformer 2 is an eye candy feast ... can't resist cool CG, robots, all above else ...the transformers...

but this movie yes a "junk food"... movie with a lot of hype and budget for making cool CG scenes but lack of good story as the base foundation for the movie...

well for now got to settle with transformers movie Ala Bay because it's the current "whopper burger" that been offered to us...tasty but still .. junk food...

maybe someday Hasbro have to jump start Transformer franchise again... and they decide to make a re-boot movie of Transformer, but with better script writer and off course better director..

and please... stop too much screen time for Megan Fox...

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Rook Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Decepticon Nitro" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
Twincast / Podcast #268:
"Call Me 2020"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Beast Hunters Leader Class Optimus Prime Dragon Assault 2013" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots - Heatwave the Fire-Bot Boat" on EBAY
Buy "Zeta Toys EX-06O Oriprime Optimus Prime MP Scale Toy Transformers MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Lazerback" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SOUNDWAVE Figure (Blaster Black Version) Takara Tomy MP3 Player" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers - Generations Select - Voyager - Sandstorm - Loose" on EBAY
Buy "transformers Prime Beast Hunters voyager PREDAKING - 100% complete lot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Beetle Bumblebee Spike Volkswagen Action Figure" on EBAY