Transformers News: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy

Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 9:00AM CDT

Categories: Toy News, Collector's Club News
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 45,822

Jess Wittenrich, who used to work for Fun Publications and who will be taking part in Pete's Robot Convention this summer, has released some concepts for 4 figures based on the Headmaster/Targetmaster era of Transformers! The 4 figures, which never saw the light of day but exist as concepts, include Nightbeat from Prime Smokescreen, Crosshairs from Generations Sergeant Kup, Brainstorm from Universe Cyclonus, and Triggerhappy from Fall of Cybertron Starscream. Each figure can be seen below, and more is to be discussed at Pete's Robot Convention this summer, so check them out, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Credit(s): Jesse Wittenrich

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868081)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:02am CDT
All of these guys look pretty cool. I love that Nightbeat and Crosshairs!

Shame so many of these concepts never happened. they are really neat
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868082)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:03am CDT
Zeedust wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:
Zeedust wrote:Although the mystery figure could theoretically turn out to be someone who was in the story, so I'd hold off on placing it.
I honestly can't think of who, though. I mean, I can't think of anyone who appeared in either the prose stories or the comics who had a CW toy body and wasn't one of the already-known TFSS 4.0 or 5.0 figures.

Me either, but it's certainly possible that we're forgetting someone. Alternatively, they could throw us a curveball; it could be someone whose body type was left unspecified or vague, or someone from outside the "Of Masters and Mayhem" storyline (all that comes to mind are the Shattered Glass Knights of Unicron, but again, I may be forgetting someone). I don't think it's particularly likely, but improbable doesn't mean impossible.
Yeah, at this point, a curveball is what I'm expecting, rather than someone known from any of the final TCC fiction (OMAM, BWU, SG, etc.).
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868083)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:10am CDT
Hold up, hold up, hold up! That Crosshairs concept! :shock: That was one of the 20 unproduced concepts that were shown at BotCon 2014 in the BotCon Retrospective Panel, which no one was allowed to take photos or video at.

One down, 19 more to show to the public! :DANCE:
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868088)
Posted by WeatherManNX01 on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:21am CDT
Those all look really good! For the time these would have come out and the molds available then, they are great-looking figures, and I would have been all over them.

I think my favorite is Brainstorm from Universe Cyclonus. That just seems to nail the figure as well as you can without a new mold. I love how the colors look.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868093)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:41am CDT
probably didnt come out because of the tr versions
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868094)
Posted by Big Grim on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:42am CDT
Those Crosshairs and Brainstorm concepts are frickin' amazing!
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868095)
Posted by Kurona on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:43am CDT
That Crosshairs is on point. So good. So sad it didn't happen.

Triggerhappy and Brainstorm are kinda strange but I kinda like 'em; and... well, a bad redeco is nothing new for Nightbeat I suppose.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868096)
Posted by Sabrblade on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:44am CDT
Bumblebee21 wrote:probably didnt come out because of the tr versions
Considering the molds that were chosen, and that the Crosshairs one was conceived prior to 2014, I'd say these were all conceived long before Titans Return was known to be a thing.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868099)
Posted by Mindmaster on March 21st, 2017 @ 9:55am CDT
Nightbeat from Smokescreen doesn't look right. I think it's the chest. Vehicle mode would've worked, though

Crosshairs would've been awesome.

I would've liked Triggerhappy, but now nothing can hold a candle to the Titans Return guy.Nothing.

Brainstorm would probably work? It's a stretch, but if it happened before any of the Generations figures I wouldn't be mad.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868103)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on March 21st, 2017 @ 10:40am CDT
these look great, but im satisfied with the figures we've received at retail
i'm 70% certain we'll get Crosshairs as a retool of TR Kup
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868104)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on March 21st, 2017 @ 10:45am CDT

Brainstorm works oddly well from that Cyclonus mold.

Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868106)
Posted by Bumblebee21 on March 21st, 2017 @ 10:46am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:Some of these are neat. That Crosshairs makes far better use of that mold than Kup does.

Brainstorm works oddly well from that Cyclonus mold.

you dont like triggerhappy
what...........
the best deluxe of the line
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868110)
Posted by william-james88 on March 21st, 2017 @ 11:21am CDT
so glad none of these panned out so that we can get molds that are more representative.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868112)
Posted by RAR on March 21st, 2017 @ 11:35am CDT
Interesting but the smokescreen repaint I want is a blue one from Beast Hunters and also i'd like a RID 12 or First Edition Bumblebee in his show accurate black (no spikes) I keep hoping Takara will slip those into the adventure line of millionaire publishing line or something like that.

If you don't like TR Triggerhappy I suggest a new hobby may be in order like Macrame.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868117)
Posted by triKlops on March 21st, 2017 @ 11:59am CDT
I am really happy to see these concept decos make their way out.
Even if they were never used, the ideas behind them and the thought process leading up to them are great to follow.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868131)
Posted by leokearon on March 21st, 2017 @ 1:17pm CDT
Well just got an idea for a TR Digibash
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868142)
Posted by Overcracker on March 21st, 2017 @ 2:17pm CDT
That Crosshairs is really good. I{m sure we{ll see Kup used for Crosshairs very very soon. Very little retooling to accommodate some larger tires, and you have Crosshair's

Brainstorm works oddly well from that Cyclonus mold.

The Triggerhappy concept is so close to the TR figure it is very strange you like one but not the other.

How is the TR boring? How is the FOC concept much more interesting?

Apart from being the FOC Seeker mold, the major elements of TriggerHappy are there on both figures. Both are blue and gray, both have very large guns, both have cockpits in there chest, both have wings on their backs.

I don't get how TR can be boring while an 80% similar figure in color and features layout is not.

triggerhappy.jpg

In fact the TR Triggerhappy mold I dare say is leagues better in both looks and engineering than the FOC Seeker.

To each their own I guess, I just have a hard time grasping what is bland in such similar color layouts and robot modes features and what is not.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868144)
Posted by Diem on March 21st, 2017 @ 2:27pm CDT
Nightbeat: The Smokescreen car mold is seriously sexy (I never had the issues with transformation that some people complained about) and looks better than the Musclebee retool worked out. The robot mode works as a Prime version of Nightbeat but if it was intended to be G1 it doesn't look right to me.

Crosshairs: This looks about as good as a non-original mold for Crosshairs could look; I could kind of imagine this is how Crosshairs looked on Earth during whatever he was up to before The Rebirth. And I'm a sucker for repaints of Universe Nightstick. And I don't have either of these molds to hand but I'd love to see how Nightstick's robot mode looks lounging in the truck bed.

Brainstorm: I appreciate the concept here but the head, general shape and gun just don't work for the character. Maybe I'd be less fussy if there weren't 2 good versions of this guy released recently. I'd have loved to have seen the spacejet mode for this mockup. On a sidenote, I really love how Cyclonus, probably the most character-specific, unrepurposable mold from Universe was intended for like 4 different guys.

Triggerhappy: In a universe where there wasn't the recent release of a near-perfect original mold Triggerhappy this would have been a neat-ish release.

Carnivius_Prime wrote:And that Triggerhappy looks much more interesting than the rather boring Titans Return figure. Sorry the TR figure just didn't even appeal to me enough to open the packaging before I quickly sold it on (as I bought it as the 2nd figure in a buy one get one half price promotion)

You are of course entitled to your own opinion but I fear you may have done yourself a mis-service by judging this figure by its cover. Triggerhappy is an exemplary figure with a very sophisticated deco for a retail release, a novel transformation (which is impressive for a figure nowadays), two fantastic modes, and a wealth of 5mm sockets. Pretty much the only thing keeping this guy from perfection is the lack of a socket on the top of his spacejet mode.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868147)
Posted by gothsaurus on March 21st, 2017 @ 3:08pm CDT
Loving getting a glimpse into the work the club did. Seeing what might have been reveals the thought and work they put into the exclusives... and gives us customizers fun ideas for projects.

While there are a few I wish happened, for the most part I'm very please with the choices for the figures they actually got to release. (especially knowing their hands are often tied with what molds are available at the factory... and which characters are allowed by Hasbro.)

Still looking forward to the reveal of the last club exclusive. One more surprise for us before out TFCC membership ends.
Re: Old Fun Publications Figure Concepts - Nightbeat, Brainstorm, Crosshair, Triggerhappy (1868178)
Posted by Deadput on March 21st, 2017 @ 5:42pm CDT

Brainstorm works oddly well from that Cyclonus mold.

Wow...

This is the equivalent of only looking at a movie cover and immediately saying it's crap without watching it I mean opinions and such whatever but you just passed on the best deluxe in years without even opening it up I don't even have a connection with the character and I still have had a complete blast with him over some figures of characters I love.

Why did you buy it in the first place instead of just you know not buying it and picking a different figure instead?

That FOC Seeker mold can rot in hell for awful figure it is except for the weapon the only decent part of it.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #209 - Under Siege
"Under Siege"
Posted: Sunday, October 7th, 2018

Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Novastar Firestar combiner" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations JUNKHEAP Junkion Wreck-Gar mold NEW SEALED Junkions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Planet of Junk Clash Platinum Hod Rod Wreck Gar Scrapheap Figures!!" on EBAY
Buy "Marissa Faireborn Afterbreaker figure lot Transformers GI Joe, NO FIGURE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on EBAY
Buy "NOVASTAR Transformers Power of the Primes Generations Deluxe 2018 NEW" on EBAY
Buy "SDCC 2018 HASBRO TRANSFORMERS TCG BOOSTER PACK CLIFFJUMPER SLIPSTREAM EXCLUSIVE" on EBAY
Buy "NEW Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus E0904" on EBAY