Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders

Quick Review:  iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders

Friday, July 30th, 2010 3:20pm CDT

Categories: Reviews, Knock Offs, Unlicensed Products News
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 89,791

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

Seibertron.com member HighPrime has received his Golden and Silver Faith Leaders (KO Masterpiece Optimus Primes) and posted a review.

A few images are included at the bottom of the article.

HighPrime states:

"For the record, I have every MP figure released by Takara Tomy to date. This is my justification for picking up the KOs ;-)

Moving on...


PRICE
$260.00 For Silver Faith Leader + shipping
$300.00 For Gold Faith Leader + shipping

PACKAGING
Figures are shipped in a plain white box with a little gold or silver sticker indicating PP01 gold or silver exclusive. Annoyingly, the number of figure you purchased is markered right on the front. Fortunately, it can be removed (for the most part) with a little goo gone without ruining the finish of the package. My silver one is #10 of 50. Gold is #7 of 50. Inner clam shell packaging is the same as all PP-01x releases to date.

WHAT'S INCLUDED
Optimus Prime, of course, (or 'Faith leader, as it were...) Extra hands and extra 'Prime Gun are not included, but Megatron in gun mode, Anime OP head on mount, and Energon Axe, and instructions (PP-01c's actually) are still included.

WHAT ELSE IS INCLUDED
XL T-Shirt (Gold or Silver lining)
x2 Autobot Symbols (Gold or Silver lining)
x2 Stickers for Prime's Communicators on both arms (2 different ones depending on the version)
Numbered collector's Card in Gold of Silver.
VIP membership at iGear's online store granting you a lifetime 10% discount (not including exclusives)

FUTURE KNOCK-OFF PLANS?
While on the stickers, if these are any indication, additional KOs iGear will be working on are:

G1 Bumblebee
G1 Alpha Trion
G1 Wheeljack
G1 Ultra Magnus

QUALITY
I'm very surprised at the level of quality. I handled these figures with leather gloves as to prevent damaging the finish, however, not a single fleck of paint came off the entire time. At first, I handled them with extreme care. By mid-transformation, I was practically treating them like any other transformer (with care, but not so much that I'm afraid it would break). For the most part, joints are tight. The Grill of the cab had a tendency to flop down. You can play around with it to get it to stay in place, though.

The paint finish seems to be of varying application styles. Some of it as sort of an 'unsanded primer' texture. Other parts are mirror finish (i.e., windows). The design works for me. May be questionable to others expecting a mostly mirrored finish. Application of paint (more so on the gold) is somewhat inconsistent, particularly around the edges of part housings. Other parts look 'burned.' Keep in mind these are KOs, though. I can't expect lucky draw finish on an item that is 1/4 cost of many lucky draws. In no way is that a defense, just an observation. Even still, these aren't cheap. Rounding up comments on the finish, it's relatively thick. Previously tight tolerances are even more so. Keep that in mind when transforming.

TRANSFORMATION RECOMMENDATIONS TO PREVENT CHIPPING
Take the head off. No one will see it anyway in cab mode and you'll save the ears from chipping.
When flipping the head plate over and inter the chest, press up from underneath in the front, and from on top in the rear. This will prevent stressing the plastic near the top front of the cab Windows.
Use a vinyl card to flip up the tab that allows the fists to retreat into the arms.
Use a vinyl card to flip out the matrix.

Other then above, you should not experience any problems getting these guys into cab mode as long as some level of care is observed.

FINAL THOUGHTS
Dropping this kind of cash, especially for a KO, is not for everyone. There are a few of us crazy enough to do so, though. Overall, I'm satisfied with these 2. A bit disappointed in some of the paint application, but not bitterly so. Unless you're dying to have these guys, you can pass.

Between the Gold (Lagoon Prime) the Silver (Heat resistant Alloy Prime), The silver has the better finish and look. Plus, it's cheaper. However, if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, go for both. Last check, there's 38/50 left of Silver and 37/50 left of Gold.

If you continue to frequent iGear, the 10% discount on future purchases will come in handy, too.

Seibertron.com Image

Seibertron.com Image

Seibertron.com Image

Seibertron.com Image

Seibertron.com Image

Seibertron.com Image

Seibertron.com Image


Stay tuned to seibertron.com for all your Transformers related news!

Credit(s): HighPrime


This article was last modified on Friday, July 30th, 2010 4:13pm CDT

News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106272)
Posted by AutobotTrainer on July 30th, 2010 @ 4:22pm CDT
My...eyes. Oh....the.....pain.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106282)
Posted by JRFitzpatrick7 on July 30th, 2010 @ 4:38pm CDT
Mine are being prepared to enter US customs in San Francisco, can't wait to get them!

A question I have regarding the premium status we share is, what counts as exclusive? I know my PP01c was discounted and I'm pretty sure igear is selling the entire PP line exclusively i'n' there store, so what does it all mean?
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106335)
Posted by HighPrime on July 30th, 2010 @ 6:02pm CDT
JRFitzpatrick7 wrote:Mine are being prepared to enter US customs in San Francisco, can't wait to get them!

A question I have regarding the premium status we share is, what counts as exclusive? I know my PP01c was discounted and I'm pretty sure igear is selling the entire PP line exclusively i'n' there store, so what does it all mean?


Log into your iGear account. Then check out the store. You'll notice everything but 'super-duper' exclusives (ie;, the gold/silver PP figures) and lunchtime specials are marked in red and discounted by 10%.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106336)
Posted by HighPrime on July 30th, 2010 @ 6:03pm CDT
Dead Metal wrote:Front paged and credited!
They do look damn good.


Thank you, sir :D
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106365)
Posted by Abraxsis on July 30th, 2010 @ 7:06pm CDT
Wow...for that price I could buy a PS3. Nice...but no Thanks.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106373)
Posted by nikeprime on July 30th, 2010 @ 7:21pm CDT
I would never pay that much for a KO..sorry...$60 at most.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106376)
Posted by HighPrime on July 30th, 2010 @ 7:27pm CDT
nikeprime wrote:I would never pay that much for a KO..sorry...$60 at most.


That's the price the KO Lucky Draw (KOLD) sold for (KO of Classics Prime).
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106402)
Posted by Botswanky on July 30th, 2010 @ 8:32pm CDT
Can't wait! Golden Lagoon Prime, finally one I can afford. :BOT:
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106412)
Posted by LiKwid on July 30th, 2010 @ 8:42pm CDT
Dropping this kind of cash, especially for a KO


So iGear is considered a Ko company now? Not a 3rd party? or is it 1 in the same?
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106416)
Posted by HighPrime on July 30th, 2010 @ 8:46pm CDT
LiKwid wrote:
Dropping this kind of cash, especially for a KO


So iGear is considered a Ko company now? Not a 3rd party? or is it 1 in the same?


Probably a little of both. They've been heavy on KOs as of late, though.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106480)
Posted by Botswanky on July 31st, 2010 @ 12:00am CDT
To call these a KO item, I feel is a little unfair. If they were of the same scale as the Takara MP Prime, I'd agree to the KO tag they seem to attract, but they're not. :BOT:
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106483)
Posted by HighPrime on July 31st, 2010 @ 12:17am CDT
Optimus Rigas wrote:To call these a KO item, I feel is a little unfair. If they were of the same scale as the Takara MP Prime, I'd agree to the KO tag they seem to attract, but they're not. :BOT:


Making product a different scale does not shield the maker from copyright. There's a number of violations, besides. These include the transformation, the Autobot/Decepticon insignias, and the Optimus Prime likeness which are all IP of Hasbro/TT.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106486)
Posted by Botswanky on July 31st, 2010 @ 12:26am CDT
Yes of course, I understand the potential legal problem there. I'm referring to the technical aspects of actually downsizing a figure, of which they did a great job. :BOT:
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106494)
Posted by HighPrime on July 31st, 2010 @ 12:46am CDT
Optimus Rigas wrote:Yes of course, I understand the potential legal problem there. I'm referring to the technical aspects of actually downsizing a figure, of which they did a great job. :BOT:


That's true. They did do a good job. I grant you that the term KO has a negative association with inferior product. Rightly so, for the most part.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106498)
Posted by Botswanky on July 31st, 2010 @ 12:58am CDT
HighPrime wrote:
Optimus Rigas wrote:Yes of course, I understand the potential legal problem there. I'm referring to the technical aspects of actually downsizing a figure, of which they did a great job. :BOT:


That's true. They did do a good job. I grant you that the term KO has a negative association with inferior product. Rightly so, for the most part.


Yes, agreed. :BOT:
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106504)
Posted by JRFitzpatrick7 on July 31st, 2010 @ 1:25am CDT
IGear has produced an incredible product with the PP01 series. I won't say it's not a KO, but I feel the term is a bit harsh. It has been said before on this board and I'll say it again in this thread: These are not your average dollar store KOs. 

The joints are tight. The parts were scaled down perfectly. Everything is there. Compared to my 20th anniversary MP OP from toys'r'us (from eBay), the colors were miles ahead. What about poseability? It's fantastic! Not weighed down by a heap of metal, PP01 can hold any pose you are able to put him in!! Scale? He fits perfectly with my classics / universe 2.0 / generations collection!

I own 1 each of mp01 prime (Has and Tak) and 2 each of all the other Takara MPs, including ...King Grimlock. I have the Hasbro Seekers to date and will get TC when available as well as Grimlock. I will be getting the PP03 series. If Has/Tak chooses to release the 2nd string Seekers, I will get 2 of each as usual. To say Has/tak has lost money from me is incorrect. With no plans of making a mini MP Prime, igear stepped up and filled a niche for a very small group of people. 

I love my Mini MP Primes. 

Igear has excellent quality control, they postponed the release of their figures because of flaws and provided detailed reasons why. Their post sales customer service is incredible, in my experience, on par with BBTS. this company should not be labeled a KO company and just leave it at that, they produce high quality products for the fans who want them. In my opinion the price of the PP01 figure compared to MP01is fine, I feel PP01 is better product. MP01 has a great design, PP01 allows you to play with it.

/end rant
/step down from soap box
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1106518)
Posted by Botswanky on July 31st, 2010 @ 1:58am CDT
JRFitzpatrick7 wrote:IGear has produced an incredible product with the PP01 series. I won't say it's not a KO, but I feel the term is a bit harsh. It has been said before on this board and I'll say it again in this thread: These are not your average dollar store KOs. 

The joints are tight. The parts were scaled down perfectly. Everything is there. Compared to my 20th anniversary MP OP from toys'r'us (from eBay), the colors were miles ahead. What about poseability? It's fantastic! Not weighed down by a heap of metal, PP01 can hold any pose you are able to put him in!! Scale? He fits perfectly with my classics / universe 2.0 / generations collection!

I own 1 each of mp01 prime (Has and Tak) and 2 each of all the other Takara MPs, including ...King Grimlock. I have the Hasbro Seekers to date and will get TC when available as well as Grimlock. I will be getting the PP03 series. If Has/Tak chooses to release the 2nd string Seekers, I will get 2 of each as usual. To say Has/tak has lost money from me is incorrect. With no plans of making a mini MP Prime, igear stepped up and filled a niche for a very small group of people. 

I love my Mini MP Primes. 

Igear has excellent quality control, they postponed the release of their figures because of flaws and provided detailed reasons why. Their post sales customer service is incredible, in my experience, on par with BBTS. this company should not be labeled a KO company and just leave it at that, they produce high quality products for the fans who want them. In my opinion the price of the PP01 figure compared to MP01is fine, I feel PP01 is better product. MP01 has a great design, PP01 allows you to play with it.

/end rant
/step down from soap box

My experience with iGear has been much the same.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1107193)
Posted by Convotron on August 1st, 2010 @ 11:30am CDT
JRFitzpatrick7 wrote:IGear has produced an incredible product with the PP01 series. I won't say it's not a KO, but I feel the term is a bit harsh. It has been said before on this board and I'll say it again in this thread: These are not your average dollar store KOs.


It seems like most people on the forum have been using the term "KO" simply to mean a copy of something and not necessarily refer to the quality of the product. If people refer to poor quality, they often type "cheap KO" or something to that effect.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1107215)
Posted by Jelze Bunnycat on August 1st, 2010 @ 12:29pm CDT
Convotron wrote:
JRFitzpatrick7 wrote:IGear has produced an incredible product with the PP01 series. I won't say it's not a KO, but I feel the term is a bit harsh. It has been said before on this board and I'll say it again in this thread: These are not your average dollar store KOs.


It seems like most people on the forum have been using the term "KO" simply to mean a copy of something and not necessarily refer to the quality of the product. If people refer to poor quality, they often type "cheap KO" or something to that effect.


The term is accurate though, as it's not a bootleg, as in a perfect copy of the original. It's just scaled down. That doesn't make it more legal though.
Re: Quick Review: iGear Gold & Silver Faith Leaders (1107220)
Posted by Convotron on August 1st, 2010 @ 12:46pm CDT
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:The term is accurate though, as it's not a bootleg, as in a perfect copy of the original. It's just scaled down. That doesn't make it more legal though.


Agreed. I'm simply saying that referring to Faith Leader as a KO isn't necessarily harsh as people here often use "KO" broadly to mean a copy.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Alchemist Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Streetwise Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #287 - Pulse Con 2021
Twincast / Podcast #287:
"Pulse Con 2021"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, October 25th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Hasbro Transformers APEFACE War for Cybertron Siege WFC-S50 - Loose Complete" on EBAY
Buy "transformers botbots series 4 disaster master" on EBAY
Buy "New Megatron AND HotLink Transformers War Cybertron Figure Netflix Trilogy" on EBAY
Buy "????Transformers Cyberverse Battle for Cybertron-LaserBeak Blast Soundwave" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage G2 Transformers Action Figure Road Pig" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Dark Of The Moon 2019 Limited Edition RSD brown vinyl LP NEW/SEALED" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Calendar Dreamwave 2003 2005 Calendar Pat Lee Don Figueroa RARE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bot Shots Action Figures - Powerglide - Leadfoot - Sentinel Prime" on EBAY