ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck

ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck

Sunday, May 31st, 2009 11:21pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Toy News, Site Articles, Transtopia
Posted by: First Gen   Views: 53,142

Seibertron.com member Jin Saotome has stopped by again to give us some more great tips on improving our Transformers figures. This time, he tackles some quick fixes for to Transformers Revenge of the Fallen figures, Sideswipe and Breakaway. Here's what he had to share:

Here's a somewhat easy fix for your Breakaway to get his head moving and the neck joint able to lift up I found the landing gear kept his upper body/nosecone from moving all the way down and the front windshield needs to be carved underneath, the back of his head too so he can tilt forward. Also, acetone the top and front of his lightpipe eyes and they'll shine clear blue again.

RoTF fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck

RoTF fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck

RoTF fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck

And here's one to keep Sideswipe's chest from unlatching constantly. You just need to create some pressure by sticking something about the thickness of a playing card or two in the gap where the windshield folds down against his back, thus jutting the chest forward a bit and the latch works.

RoTF fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck

Credit(s): Jin Saotome

Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (929887)
Posted by Optimal_Z on June 1st, 2009 @ 12:51am CDT
Sweet! That chest part was starting to annoy me while trying to pose the fig.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (929928)
Posted by madhatprime on June 1st, 2009 @ 2:39am CDT
Interestingly enough, My sideswipe's chest snaps in tight, with no problems what so ever. In fact I was amazed at how tight all of his joints are. You'd think the quality control would be more consistant.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (929939)
Posted by Ravage XK on June 1st, 2009 @ 3:20am CDT
Neat, thanks.

I will try this on my Sideswipe tonight. If you ignore the feet that dont work, Sideswipe is a pretty decent deluxe figure.

Edit: The feet arnt such a problem after all, you just need to fiddle to get them to the correct angle.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (930002)
Posted by Primus1101 on June 1st, 2009 @ 8:49am CDT
i just tried the sideswipe one (since i only own him and soundwave right now. only picking up movie only characters right now.) and i don't have glue but it works. however, if you move the chest area back. the latch. it will come undone again. oh well. still. great fix to the figure. thanks jin. even though the chest is still loose, don't think i've done it right yet though.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (930026)
Posted by NuclearConvoy on June 1st, 2009 @ 10:04am CDT
I dont have a problem with my Sideswipe'd chest coming unlatched.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (930091)
Posted by Overcracker on June 1st, 2009 @ 12:02pm CDT
NuclearConvoy wrote:I dont have a problem with my Sideswipe'd chest coming unlatched.

Yeah neither do I. He's actually pretty tight all around.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (930108)
Posted by shadowsfm on June 1st, 2009 @ 12:54pm CDT
the chest on mine is tight. the problem with my sideswipe is that his left ankle fender has difficulty turning during transformation, because the fender bumps into his ankle henge. (hard to explain). his right ankle fender is just fine. i'll cut away a little from the fender eventually
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (930110)
Posted by bigwhitey21 on June 1st, 2009 @ 12:56pm CDT
On Sideswipe, I just loosened the 2 screws under the chest and put a little pressure on the front while I retightened the screws. now it works perfectly!
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (930594)
Posted by kazmagnus on June 2nd, 2009 @ 5:46am CDT
wow i must be pretty lucky..!! i bought all the movie tfs that r out right now doubles of each so i could open one and keep one in box, well every figure i opened has really tight joints nothing poping out nothing not staying latched so i must of got lucky this time around..swipe stands fairly easy for me to when i pose him, usually stands on the first try...i can live without breakaways head not moving.. i dont like to modify them, to worried it wont look right or ill screw it up, so i live with the minor imperfections. way i look at it is they r toys they are not gonna be perfect
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (930756)
Posted by [JRX] on June 2nd, 2009 @ 11:34am CDT
Any suggestions on how to fix Rampage's legs?

In 'bot mode, the springy hip joint won't allow his thighs to stay bent forwards.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (930761)
Posted by PsYcHoDyNaMiX on June 2nd, 2009 @ 11:41am CDT
Thanks for the tips Jin. My sideswipe is great, but I see how it can be an issue. I'll keep in mind to mod it if the latch becomes loose.

I modded my breakaway by dremeling out the front half of the canopy as specified, but instead of cutting away at the rubber nosecone I cut/carved out a notch in the blue swing bar and achieved the same result.

I also noticed that the front landing gear bar didn't sit flush with it's green housing frame when in robot mode, so I cleaned up the part by removing the remnants of the injection stem (near the pivot axle, on its underside).

I didn't remove the two halves for the landing gear bay from the underside of the fuselage as you did because by cleaning up the landing gear already the part sits more flush and I noticed that the fuselage wouldn't be able to go past the body swing bar in robot mode anyways.

***EDIT***
Breakaway is pretty nice now with the mod thanks to Jin. Too bad they didn't make him a voyager size since he is a jet. They could've done so much more with the character/mold/idea. Hell, I just wished all of the deluxes were voyager sized, lol.

Oh, yea... I also filed out the small 'U' shape on the back half of the head to give it a backwards tilt using a needle file and cleaned up the eye piping with nail polish remover (since I didn't have pure acetone laying around).
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (931631)
Posted by Jin Saotome on June 3rd, 2009 @ 10:32pm CDT
[JRX] wrote:Any suggestions on how to fix Rampage's legs?

Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (931672)
Posted by [JRX] on June 4th, 2009 @ 12:19am CDT
Jin Saotome wrote:
[JRX] wrote:Any suggestions on how to fix Rampage's legs?

Ah, that's an easy one. If you spin his hips around forward the spring disengages so you can pose the legs without them springing back down. Then spin the legs back around to activate the spring for jackhammer mode when you need it...

Thanks! I was tempted to try something like that before asking, but I was afraid of ending up with floppy-legged Rampage instead of a springy-legged one!
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (931687)
Posted by Knock Out on June 4th, 2009 @ 1:23am CDT
A HUGE thank you! My breakaway can now look around. His head not popping up was makin' me crazy! :APPLAUSE:
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (931693)
Posted by Valandar on June 4th, 2009 @ 2:16am CDT
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (931699)
Posted by Jin Saotome on June 4th, 2009 @ 3:05am CDT
Valandar wrote:Just as a side note, my Sideswipe had no issues with pegging the chest at all - his biggest issues were with getting the arms back in place going back to car mode, but I eventually got it going. Well, other than his difficulties standing up, that is.

I noticed some people had problems with that while others didn't. And sometimes all it takes is tightening the screws, other times nothing but the pressure fix works. RoTF quality control seems to be iffy.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (934266)
Posted by Jin Saotome on June 9th, 2009 @ 11:59am CDT
Those of you that have found a Fallen figure were probably all "WOOHOO!" at his unique design, just itching to get him out of the package. And if you're like me, once out you were suddenly all "AAAARGGGGGHHH!" as his lower legs popped off every time you tried to bend his knees. Sometimes his arms popping off if you had a weak connector. Here's a fix for that! Basically involves taking the leg apart and inserting a particular kind of screw into the lower leg to keep them in place. You'll need a dremel or other rotary tool for this one.

Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (934275)
Posted by Ravage XK on June 9th, 2009 @ 12:41pm CDT
Another nice fix, well done.

HASBRO, are you taking notes!! I know you welcome fan involvement with the franchise but don't you think leaving it up to your customers to fix your failures is a bit much?

Honestly, I'M frightened to buy anything else in case it crumbles in my hand.
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (934288)
Posted by Shockerwave333 on June 9th, 2009 @ 1:15pm CDT
Cheers to Jin once again!!! I am a big fan of his customizations. I can't wait to see what u do to fix that horrible Evergreen Pine-sol Paint job on the Fallen!!!
Re: ROTF figure fixes: Sideswipe chest, Breakaway neck (934299)
Posted by First Gen on June 9th, 2009 @ 1:48pm CDT
Leader Prime, Human Alliance BB and maybe other HA figs. Thats all I'm getting and everytime I see that Jin or anyone else has to devise a "fix" for them, I know I'm making the right choice.

This is just horrible.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 01 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #291 - Til All Are 2021
"Til All Are 2021"
Posted: Sunday, January 2nd, 2022

Buy "SWERVE Deluxe Class TRANSFORMERS Universe Series Action Figure 2004 COMPLETE" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Cyberverse SKY BYTE, Tiny Turbo Changers 2020" on EBAY
Buy "TAKARA TOMY TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS TG-25 ORION PAX VS MEGATRONUS Figure TGHB" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BUMBLEBEE CYBERVERSE ADVENTURES - ENERGON ARMOR SHOCKWAVE" on EBAY
Buy "Loyal Subjects Transformers Frenzy & Buzzsaw 2 Pack 2015 SDCC Exclusive Set" on EBAY
Buy "transformers g1 original Constructicon Hook Part" on EBAY