SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans

SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans

Thursday, July 21st, 2016 9:42pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Event News, Press Releases
Posted by: ScottyP   Views: 36,909

Through a press release from IDW Publishing, as well as the SDCC 2016 panel this afternoon IDW and Hasbro: The Revolution is Now, we've gained our first glimpses into the world of Transformers comics after the Revolution crossover event. The Transformers related points from IDW's press release follow shortly below, but please be forewarned that reading this information may (and almost definitely will for some readers) spoil currently running story arcs in both The Transformers and More Than Meets The Eye!

Transformers News: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans at SDCC 2016

The Revolution ripple effect continues to shake things up as IDW’s Transformers line will see some changes with the introduction of two new ongoing titles: Transformers: Lost Light and the first-ever ongoing Optimus Prime series.

Transformers: Lost Light will continue the fan-favorite adventures told by More Than Meets the Eye writer James Roberts, joined on art by Jack Lawrence (Doctor Who Adventures). Beginning in December, this new series will take Rodimus and the crew of the starship Lost Light into the farthest reaches of the universe, searching for the long-lost Knights of Cybertron.

Next, John Barber, who recently exited his post as IDW’s Hasbro Group Editor, won’t be straying too far from his IDW roots as he tackles Optimus Prime, the first solo series to star the eponymous Autobot. John will be joined by artist Kei Zama (Scarlett Witch). Optimus Prime has declared Earth to be under his protection—and this November, he’ll have to face the consequences.

All those titles will join the currently running Transformers: Till All Are One, Micronauts, and upcoming ROM, which will each continue on, their storylines now converging with this newly established universe as their backdrop.

You can also check out our gallery from the IDW and Hasbro: The Revolution is Now panel featuring cover images and more from both Revolution and the re-titled ongoing Transformers comics series.

Other news and notes from this afternoon's panel include:
  • The Transformers: Revolution crossover comic will feature Thundercracker and Buster saving the White House
  • Til All Are One: Revolution to primarily crossover with Micronauts
  • More Than Meets the Eye: Revolution will be co-written by both James Roberts and Nick Roche, reuniting the Last Stand of the Wreckers creative team for the first time since that series. The book will also feature Alex Milne on art.
  • Speaking of Alex Milne, he will be still be handling art duties on Transformers: Lost Light for 'alternating' story arcs (in other words, fans of the book's look need not fear!)
  • Transformers: Lost Light is essentially More Than Meets The Eye Season 3 with a name change.
  • John Barber hinted we may see a certain major villain make a trip to Earth.

Be sure to keep it here for all of our San Diego Comic Con 2016 coverage throughout the weekend, and let your fellow fans know your thoughts about this latest comic news by replying to this post.

Credit(s): IDW Publishing

This article was last modified on Saturday, July 23rd, 2016 6:40am CDT

Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807895)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 21st, 2016 @ 10:10pm CDT
Well now, that is interesting...

I like the MTMTE name change, though it will bring to a close the pronunciation game...

Optimus Prime series? Huh.

New artists? Ok, we'll see.

I guess the Lost Light goes back for the crew? Otherwise, that section is misleading.

Overall, some stuff to look at
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807900)
Posted by Randomhero on July 21st, 2016 @ 10:26pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:Well now, that is interesting...

Optimus Prime series? Huh.

New artists? Ok, we'll see.

Overall, some stuff to look at

I was thinking about that tonight and remember the captain of the Galactic Alliance tell his lieutenant to tell Getaway he made no such promise as to not harm anyone. Now that we know that the mutineers didn't know about the DJD it seems fitting that they must be showing up to save the day. Maybe.

The name change makes sense, since RID lost its name it just felt weird for MTMTE to keep its name but I know it was to differentiate the books. Can't call them both transformers.

Optimus series seems very promising especially with John running it.

New artists could mean Sakamotot might be coming on full time to that series or trade off arcs with Alex
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807910)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 21st, 2016 @ 10:44pm CDT

What's with Rodimus' new paint job and where's Megatron? At least the art looks very nice and similar. (see here for a better image: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/21/ ... comic-con/)

Overall, I'm pretty good with stuff post Revolution. I'm looking forward to it. and I agree: I really think the Lost Light shall return for the crew.
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807922)
Posted by Randomhero on July 21st, 2016 @ 11:12pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:Image

It's just those 4 members on that promo. I' don't think we have anything to worry about...-stares out in the window with a despair look on my face-

CRYO-RODIMUS!
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807924)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 21st, 2016 @ 11:15pm CDT
I don't know where Rodimus got those colors, but i like them
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807930)
Posted by Randomhero on July 21st, 2016 @ 11:22pm CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:I don't know where Rodimus got those colors, but i like them

So apparently Alex Milne just found out he's not gonna be the primary artist on Lost Light. He found out on Twitter... AWKWARD!
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807934)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 21st, 2016 @ 11:29pm CDT
Randomhero wrote:

Well now... that is gonna have some major butthurt there...
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807938)
Posted by Randomhero on July 21st, 2016 @ 11:34pm CDT
Yeah, he said he's pretty disappointed but also said the delays were all his fault so he's not too upset but man I would be especially if you find about your job kinda just went part time.

Also nothing is mentioned about not-RID. Is it getting replaced with the Optimus ongoing?
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807944)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 21st, 2016 @ 11:54pm CDT
I read Twitter when I climb in bed, and I had to get back out to say this:

Holy cows people. The amount of hate and disgust spewing out on Twitter right now over Milne going part time and him not even knowing. Even Roberts didn't know Milne didn't know. Geez louise. But at least this wasn't a fault between the 2 but instead a fault somewhere up the ladder, but still a bad situation. Enough so they said night and we'll try this again tomorrow.

And yes, it looks like Optimus is replacing the current ongoing. And I like that we are getting new names for the series.
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807948)
Posted by Shot Put on July 22nd, 2016 @ 12:16am CDT
Milne has said that he knew another artist would be joining him, he just didn't know he wouldn't be doing the first issue (as he wanted to).
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807952)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on July 22nd, 2016 @ 1:44am CDT
The Lost light series seems intriguing. The rest? Pass. I would have been more likely to read a series about the adventures of Orion Pax. I also like Rodimus's new paint job, and it seems he's back in charge all alone.
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807974)
Posted by Randomhero on July 22nd, 2016 @ 6:06am CDT
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:I read Twitter when I climb in bed, and I had to get back out to say this:

Yeah people are screaming boycott over this. Remember the last time that happened? It's when Sakamoto came on to do that DJD issue. One month later it was forgotten and now everyone is ranting for more of him.

The new artist style looks good. That's the thing about MTMTE, they find artists that can blend with Alex's art because they know how strong his following is.
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807978)
Posted by Kurona on July 22nd, 2016 @ 6:40am CDT
Name change is good with me for a couple reasons. First... it finally gives MTMTE a unique name. Most of us have known MTMTE and identified it as this comic series the past few years, but there's so many things called MTMTE from opening episodes to comic issues to random adverts and toylines. Nothing else is called Lost Light unless I'm forgetting about something really obscure.
Second, Roberts actually said on Twitter it wasn't an easy decision. Guess he was attached to the MTMTE name too.

Also, jeez; being told over twitter you've not got this job... that's painful. And a shame because Milne's artwork was perfect for MTMTE; it was expressive, vibrant, colourful, emotional; but not to the extent of a cartoon - it still felt mature. It's the best art I've ever seen for a Transformers comic.
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807979)
Posted by Randomhero on July 22nd, 2016 @ 6:48am CDT
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807980)
Posted by Kurona on July 22nd, 2016 @ 6:54am CDT
Randomhero wrote:Not sure how I feel about Unicron possibly showing up. Hopefully that's an error but IDW has avoided him and Primus being real for 11 going on 12 years now. Maybe it's time. Reason I'm hesitant is just due to IDW being very open minded with the idea that God and the devil may or may not exist especially with MTMTEs entire over all plot being about proving that a god like mythical groups existing or not.

I have to agree with that.
Then again, IDW has been hinting at Unicron for a little bit now. Bludgeon and Jhiaxus saying "true chaos is coming"; Cyclonus being cut off from mentioning his name in the myth; those theories of Rung being the T-cog or otherwise significant part of Unicron...
Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807981)
Posted by Kurona on July 22nd, 2016 @ 6:58am CDT
ScottyP wrote:

• Okay I'm ready for this event comic now
    Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807983)
    Posted by Big Grim on July 22nd, 2016 @ 7:15am CDT
    Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807985)
    Posted by Randomhero on July 22nd, 2016 @ 7:42am CDT
    Kurona wrote:

I have to agree with that.

Oh those Rung theories are nonsense. The Bludgeon and Jhiaxus thing, yeah I totally see that but that was always something that I've always thought was the original plans pre-dark Cyberton. If you go back a re-read Syndromica it's so obvious that John had other plans with Jhiaxus and Shockwave but the decision for Dark Cybertron had to change things. Why was the planet going red and the ground getting sucked up? Whatever happened to the time remote that was so important in part 2? Optimus still has that thing and I was certain that was going to be a key piece to stopping shockwave and it just didn't happen. It was forgotten. There's was some heavy stuff coming and it seems like the bulk of that stuff was retrofitted into DC but there's still a lot of stuff that could be used to bring Unicron and Primus in.

I'm just enjoying a transformers universe without proof of God. It's grounds it and makes it so similar to our own. They spent so much time and effort creating their own version of The Thirteen and making them just powerful transformers instead of children of God. It feels so weird. Not a back peddle but that the only term that I can think of.
    Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807986)
    Posted by MrBlack on July 22nd, 2016 @ 7:51am CDT
    Interesting color scheme for Rodimus. I hope those are not mourning colors for a pair of bots that have that color scheme...

Between the title change and the preview of #55, there is certainly a possibility of the Lost Light returning. Although, given the scene is #50 of Getaway using the time portal to look back on the crew, perhaps the ship arrives too late, and Team Rodimus has moved on by that point. The title could be a reference to Team Rodimus' goal: Finding the Lost Light. It seems fairly certain that the group is going to find out some really unsavory things about the Knights, and they may be trying to stop the mutineers from finding the Knights and causing more trouble. Besides, I can't see the mutineers every allowing Megatron back on the ship, so unless he dies or isn't in season 3, I don't see how he's allowed back on the Lost Light.
    Re: SDCC 2016: IDW Announces Post-Revolution Transformers Comics Plans (1807987)
    Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 22nd, 2016 @ 7:51am CDT
    Big Grim wrote:This all just makes me curious as to how the series is gonna go. Plus I like the name change to Lost Light. That's pretty cool! But...where's Megatron? I really like how the character has evolved. I LIKE Autobot Megatron!

I feel the same Big Grim, as does Kurona. We ended up having a nice splurge about Autobot Megatron is the issue 55 thread. And considering how pivotal he is now and the fact that I among some others really like him, I really hope they don't discard him. I like what he is and how he got there, I don't really want another twist in his story.

As for Unicron, I've actually been waiting for Scotty to go and say something about that. I mean, the excitement level he has for any sort of planetary eater references has been awesome, and still no thoughts on this.

And I wonder if they will name the titan Optimus raised as he seems pivotal to Revolution, autobot city, and beyond

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
    Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
    Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
    Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
    Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
    Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Peterman Action Figure" on AMAZON
    Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #289 - No Thanks Given
    "No Thanks Given"
    Posted: Monday, November 29th, 2021

Buy "TRANSFORMERS BOTCON 2013 MACHINE WARS SUNSTORM #A" on EBAY
    Buy "Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer Set- Blurr, Boulder, Chase" on EBAY
    Buy "Angry Birds Transformers Telepods Galvatron Pig" on EBAY
    Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Megatron Figure Sealed AA173" on EBAY
    Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC-S32 BLACKJACK & HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
    Buy "Transformers Powertrain & Highjump Siege War for Cybertron Micromaster" on EBAY
    Buy "Transformers  Shattered Glass   #4  * First Print *    Cover A     NEW!!!" on EBAY
    Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon Commander Class Optimus Prime Figure Sealed Z943" on EBAY