Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event

Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event

Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 9:55pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, Event News, Game News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Seibertron   Views: 120,819

Activision invited several key Transformers related websites out to Los Angeles on June 6th, 2007, for a Q&A session and to have some hands-on demonstration with the Transformers game on each of the major platforms. As many of you know, the owner of Seibertron.com is pretty triggerhappy with his camera so there are some repetitive pictures from the Q&A session. Nonetheless, the pictures capture the event for everyone to enjoy.

Each of us at the event were able to play each of the major 5 platforms for about 20 minutes each. Bottom line is this: if you don't own a Wii, a Nintendo DS, an Xbox 360, a Sony PSP or a Sony Playstation 3 ... you need to go out to buy one. The platforms are truly incredible and the handhelds are a lot of fun.

Below are some notes that I took while attending the Activision event. I'm not a big fan of writing reviews so hopefully you'll find some of the information that I posted from my notes and in the galleries useful as we continue to get closer to the release of the Transformers games from Activision and the worldwide release of the Transformers Movie. The notes presented below are in the order that information was provided to me at the event, so some of it is out of order.

Please let me know if you guys have some additional questions. Thanks!

Ryan

Related Photo Galleries:

• Photos from the Activision Press Event

• Screenshots from the Microsoft XBox 360

• Screenshots from the Playstation 3

• Screenshots from the Nintendo Wii

• Screenshots from the Sony PSP

• Screenshots from the Nintendo DS

• ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes from the Transformers Game Event:
    • The opening cinematic that Activision showed us is mind-blowingly awesome. It opens on Cybertron. The computer animation is simply beautiful. It looks like there was a fully rendered Cybertron in the style of G1, not the style that's on TransformersMovie.com.
    • Activision showed us a cinematic that features Bumblebee landing on Earth. Optimus Prime states Bumblebee's mission. We've seen this mission objective via radio intercom used in the past for the 2004 Transformers Armada game from Atari. Bumblebee then scans a Camaro that is alone in an empty parking lot.
    • Bumblebee battles Swindle
    • Activision demo'ed a lot of the transformations.
    • The game makes use of a radar that shows your location, a map of the area as well as any enemy targets which are marked with their faction symbol. The radar is similar to that used in other major platform games.
    • The Transformers can climb the sides of buildings.
    • There is a ton of interaction with the city and such.
    • Every 20 energon cubes you obtain unlocks a different mission/objective, unlockable characters, features, etc.
    • The game has a lot of Easter eggs throughout the game such as a building called "Seaspray's fish and chips" or "Hound's Hot Dogs".
    • Activision referred to the faction symbols as "shields" which I don't think I've heard anyone do before.
    • Next, Activision showed us a cinematic with Barricade, Mikeala and Sam.
    • "Protect and Serve" mission objective: defeat Barricade and get to Sam before him. Story: The Decepticon Barricade has posed as a human Police vehicle in an effort to harm. More ...
    • Optimus Prime announces what Bumblebee should be doing. Peter Cullen has done an incredible job with his Optimus Prime voice. It totally sounds like his G1 self.
    • Barricade and Bumblebee battle around Tranquility high school.
    • Trivia: tranquility sharks
    • The transformation sound is similar to what we hear in the movie ... there is no use of the G1 transformation sound.
    • While Bumblebee and Barricade are battling, the action moves to a cinematic with them on a highschool football field. The action is beautfil
    • One of Bumblebee's mission is called "Plight of the Bumblebee" (a nod to Marvel Comics' Transformers #16).
    • Something from the "Plight of the Bumblebee" comic book is available as an unlockable feature (not sure if it's the full comic or cover art).
    • Activision compared the interactive environment like a "ball in a china shop scenario"
    • "Unfriendly Skies" Objective: ground Starscream and defeat him. Story: Starscream is after the AllSpark. Shoot him out of the sky ...
    • Optimus Prime to Jazz: "Starscream ... take him out."
    • The game uses small Autobot or Decepticon shields on the radar to identify the enemy's location.
    • Starscream is HUGE compared to Jazz ... but in an entertaining "omigod the bad guy is so big" kind of way.
    • Jazz is voiced by an African American voice actor.
    • Activision's Dreadwind character battles Jazz.
    • Activision's Daniel talks about working with Hasbro to collaborate with Aaron Archer and crew for the movie game toys.
    • The characters in the game have shadows.
    • The police chase after Jazz while battling the Decepticons.
    • "Hound's Hot Dogs" on Main St. during Jazz's battle with Dreadwind.
    • Next cinemtatic that was showed to us: Decepticons versus Jazz (Blackout and Dreadwind ... Starscream takes off during Jazz's battle).
    • Jazz then battles Blackout, who looks phenomenal.
    • Unlockable characters ... G1!!! (Including G1 Optimus Prime plus repaints. I also wrote down Megatron but we weren't shown this and I don't remember this being mentioned), television openers
    • Their intention was to satisfy the fans.
    • G1 Optimus Prime looks beautiful ... it's incredible to see G1 Prime rendered like this!
    • The cars have weapons and nitro.
    • G1 Optimus Prime can fire missiles.
    • "Heavy Weapon" Objective: defeat Shockwave
    • Shockwave is a purple triplechanger complete with a G1 styled head.
    • Missile turret, helicopter and a robot.
    • Shockwave's transformation is awesome.
    • Jazz voices to Optimus Prime via radio transmission for his mission.
    • Optimus Prime quotes: "I can't let him get away", "You will not cause anymore destruction, Decepticon."
    • Activision wanted to create a game that plays up the movie and the fans.
    • "Transformations actually mean something in the game."
    • Amazing destruction technology ... almost fully interactive environment. Very impressive!
    • The complexity of the transformations really surprised Activision.
    • A lot of information wasn't available (i.e. voice of Megatron) so they worked with what they had at the time.
    • Activision was able to use a lot of the ILM assets, which ILM/Dreamworks/Paramount was more than happy to share.
    • Tom: "game gives a lot of backstory to the movie that was never shot."
    • Peter Cullen (re: working with welker again): "It was fantastic, has always been when I work with Frank. We work well together. Frank's kind of like a fuse ... you just kind of never know when he's going to blow up. but he never does. It's always in a good way."
    • Tom DeSanto was asked about special features for the DVD: Michael Bay is a DVD fan. Tom doesn't want to give anything away.
    • Activision views the handhelds (DS and PSP) as supplementals to the platform versions.
    • DS version takes advantage of the hardware considerably. It really pushed the limits.
    • PSP: wanted to make a game with the Transformers stuff that they themselves wanted to see in a game (they are fans).
    • There are 26 characters in the PSP.
    • A company called "Savage" worked on the PSP.
    • PSP provides a unique experience you aren't going to get anywhere else such as versus modes, capture the flag, etc.

Activision Transformers Game Event

Activision Transformers Game Event

Activision Transformers Game Event

Activision Transformers Game Event

Activision Transformers Game Event

Activision Transformers Game Event

Activision Transformers Game Event

Other Transformers Websites Reviews:
    GameNewsI.com
    TFW2005.com
    TFArchive.com
    GameSpot.com

This article was last modified on Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 10:28pm CDT

Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161658)
    Posted by jonusjaxon on June 12th, 2007 @ 10:44pm CDT
    I'm getting it for PC because it's cheap. They'll probably put it on sale for $20 after it's been out a week.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161670)
    Posted by Shadowman on June 12th, 2007 @ 10:51pm CDT
    I'm getting it on Wii, because when I get my Wii, I'll need a game, and it's either GIANT EFFING ROBOTS or Red Steel.

Wait, when's Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming out? It might be that.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161701)
    Posted by bumblezzz on June 12th, 2007 @ 10:57pm CDT
    they really need to make shockwave as a toy, leader or supreme (as tall as megatron I presume.) cool!!!
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161704)
    Posted by Spooner on June 12th, 2007 @ 10:58pm CDT
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161725)
    Posted by TheMuffin on June 12th, 2007 @ 11:07pm CDT
    Excellent. I love a lot of the stuff I just read there.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161751)
    Posted by Robinson on June 12th, 2007 @ 11:44pm CDT
    Whoo hoo psp game here I come
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161773)
    Posted by Fang Wolf on June 13th, 2007 @ 12:24am CDT
    Why does the 360 look better than the PS3? Odd that.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161789)
    Posted by Seibertron on June 13th, 2007 @ 12:41am CDT
    Spooner wrote:I'm confused - will the original transformation sound be used in the movie or not? If it's not in the game, I can't see it being in the movie, either.

The original transformation sound was NOT used in the game. I don't believe it will be used in the actual movie either so I'm confused as to why it was used in the trailer other than to show fans that it doesn't sound right in the live action setting.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161793)
    Posted by Seibertron on June 13th, 2007 @ 12:43am CDT
    Fang Wolf wrote:Why does the 360 look better than the PS3? Odd that.

I was told by an unnamed Activision employee that the Xbox 360 version is THE version to buy. He told me that I should buy the Xbox 360 because it's a better machine over the PS3. From the conversations that I've had, it sounds like the game was developed for the Xbox and then ported over to the PS3 - though the Activision employee did not say this, it was just my impression. Or maybe I totally misunderstood the conversation that I had with the Activision employee.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161796)
    Posted by cellshock on June 13th, 2007 @ 12:54am CDT
    Huh, so the original G1 transformation sound used in the trailer is probably just another trick to catch some of our attention but won't be in the actual movie? Too bad... and here I thought their attempts at fishing us with bullsh*t came to a stop once some of the actual footage was released.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161800)
    Posted by cellshock on June 13th, 2007 @ 12:57am CDT
    BTW, is this game even worth buying for PS2 or is all the good stuff on the newer platforms?

This news about G1 models and a triple changing Shockwave has me buzzing! :)
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161802)
    Posted by 0ptimus Prime on June 13th, 2007 @ 1:01am CDT

Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161817)
    Posted by Lapse Of Reason on June 13th, 2007 @ 1:34am CDT
    I am eagerly anticpating the XBOX 360 and Nintendo DS games.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161831)
    Posted by Megatron Wolf on June 13th, 2007 @ 2:02am CDT
    Wow. Cant wait. I just payed off the cybertron editon for 360 and the PSP version. From the looks of the PSP shots they could be better but i gues becasuse theres so much on screen they had to tone down the graphics like in GTA. Still looks great though. The 360 and PS3 ones look unreal. Did they say the release date? Ive heared the 19th, 21st, and 26th. witch one is it? I need a new game and fast. I cant keep playing rainbow six and oblivon. I just got Armored Core for the PSP to hold me over but i dont see it doing that for to much longer.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161844)
    Posted by Anonymous on June 13th, 2007 @ 2:24am CDT
    Multiplayer? offline co-op? Anyone know?
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161891)
    Posted by KoH4711 on June 13th, 2007 @ 3:30am CDT
    Hmmmm... you know, it makes me wish the Leader Class Brawl was a cover for Leader Class Shockwave. Because from what I've seen of that design, I'd LOVE to have it. And we HAVE gotten a lot of game figures appearing in the line...

Though, it does make me wonder if Shockwave would be used in a movie sequel at all. Not that the game'll be treated as canon, but you think they might've said, "Hey, don't use him" to Activision, especially since there seem to be a few sequel ideas cooking already.
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (161993)
    Posted by Insurgent on June 13th, 2007 @ 5:59am CDT
    HEY! They stole my idea for a tripilechanging Shockwave (even his missile platform was stolen) :P Though I have him transforming into a Mazda, not a helicopter. Gee, wonder where that idea came from.

Still, this game is looking good. Even if the PS2 version is 'not worth getting', I aint getting a new console so it's PS2 FTW! All the unlockables like G1 skins should be in that version, right? Just inferior graphics and some viewable unlockables not included?
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (162100)
    Posted by SmokeStack on June 13th, 2007 @ 7:39am CDT
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (162309)
    Posted by Seibertron on June 13th, 2007 @ 10:30am CDT
    Autobot Optimus Prime wrote:Did you guys get any info about the PC version? Do you know if it's more of a port of the PS3/XBox360 version or the older console version?

We didn't find out any information about the PC version. I didn't think to ask either. :oops:

Autobot Optimus Prime wrote:Also, is the G1 Prime just a re-color/different skin of the Movie Prime model or is it a completely different character model?

It's the G1 Optimus Prime that we all know and love: long smoke stacks and flat nosed semi truck included!
    Re: Seibertron.com's notes and photos from Activision's Transformers game event (162310)
    Posted by Seibertron on June 13th, 2007 @ 10:32am CDT
    SmokeStack wrote:I didn't see it in your notes, but are you able to free roam in there or is it only mission to mission? I'm definitely glad, now, that I bought the Xbox 360. This game is the main reason I bought it. I'm glad to see that the 360 version seems to be the best version.

Hm ... I'm not a big gamer so my limited experiences will limit how I can answer this. It seems that the environments are pretty damn big (as in HUGE). You can go anywhere and destroy anything within that environment. However, there are boundaries that you have to stay within which I encountered a few times to keep you within that particular misssion. I believe one of the Activision guys said that the mission's environment was equivalent to 4 square miles. Big.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
    Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
    Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
    Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
    Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
    Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
    "Call Me 2020"
    Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Studio Series SS-22 Dropkick Bumblebee Movie Brand New" on EBAY
    Buy "Transformers Classics Mini-cons Night Rescue Divebomb Strongarm Firebot" on EBAY
    Buy "transformers prime beast hunters blight blot" on EBAY
    Buy "New Sealed Hasbro Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition Cogman 2016" on EBAY
    Buy "TRANSFORMERS Studio Series Buzzworthy Bumblebee lot of 2 #26 #40 Shatter WW2 ????" on EBAY
    Buy "TRANSFORMERS Studio Series Buzzworthy Bumblebee lot of 2 #15 #26 BB + WW2 BB ????!" on EBAY
    Buy "Mirage - Transformers Series 2 The Loyal Subjects Vinyl Blind Box Figure 1/16" on EBAY
    Buy "Target Exclusive Transformers Beast Hunters Cindersaur / Smokescreen" on EBAY