Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81

Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81

Wednesday, May 25th, 2011 9:27am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: Dead Metal   Views: 38,537

Fellow Transformers fan site The Allspark has had the chance to interview Simon Furman regarding the comic related bit of information that's been the cause of much excitement in our comunity for the past few weeks. The news of Simon Furman being interested in continuing where the Transformers G1 comic by Marvel ended, this new series would ignore the G2 comic and would start with #81.
There is, as you might know, a petition you can sign to show your support for this project, click here to sign it.
And if you're interested in reading what Simon Furman has planned for this project, click here to read the interview over at The Allspark.

Credit(s): The Allspark

Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228094)
Posted by Blackstreak on May 25th, 2011 @ 9:36am CDT
This will give me a reason to go back and read the Marvel issues I never got around to reading. I think this amounts to like the last 20 issues or so.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228095)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on May 25th, 2011 @ 9:40am CDT
I already signed. As much as I love the G2 book, I really hate all the retconning that Takara's done with cramming other toons into G1 cartoon continuity to unify everything, so a revival of Marvel continuity that creates yet another splinter thread is a win-win in my book. Align Marvel continuity as the past of Beast Wars, and the irreconcilable Beast Machines gets croqueted off into deep space, having less to do with that continuity than with Power Lords, so no matter how much I love Sunbow and Victory, Bob and Simon's book will always be the foundation my true TF universe, incomprehensible Earth Force stuff and all.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228101)
Posted by Insidious on May 25th, 2011 @ 9:52am CDT
This would be an easy snag. No hesitation about adding it to my crop at all.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228174)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on May 25th, 2011 @ 11:50am CDT
Signing the petition as I speak... type... or something. :oops: Anyway, I'd be behind this.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228188)
Posted by Stormwolf on May 25th, 2011 @ 12:01pm CDT
This comic must be made dammit!

I haven't had my TF fix since last stand of the Wreckers ended.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228194)
Posted by Marcdachamp on May 25th, 2011 @ 12:28pm CDT
I'd pick up that in a heartbeat.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228202)
Posted by OmnisValidus on May 25th, 2011 @ 12:47pm CDT
I really hope this happens. I haven't bought any comics for about 2 years after being disolusioned with the IDW output. I would love to get the original characters back after all these years.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228426)
Posted by T-Macksimus on May 25th, 2011 @ 7:21pm CDT
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228943)
Posted by Joetx on May 26th, 2011 @ 2:18pm CDT
T-Macksimus wrote:Honestly, I'd love to see it back-tracked to about issue 76. The last four issues of the series just seemed...rushed. Like they were trying to cram too much into the last issues before the curtain fell. As a result, the whole deal with the Neo-Knights and the Last Autobot and the final fight of the combined 'Bot & 'Con armies just seemed forced. I would gladly pick up this continuation series though no matter where it begins.

ITA. Everything post Issue 75 seemed tacked on, as if they thought #75 would be the last issue, but got late word there would be 5 more.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1228953)
Posted by Stormwolf on May 26th, 2011 @ 2:31pm CDT
Joetx wrote:

Yep, though it was nice to see that the door was left open for more Autobot/Decepticon conflicts instead of ending it all after Unicron kicked the bucket.

Atleast now we could have shot resolving all the stuff we didn't get to see in G2.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1229203)
Posted by captain craig on May 26th, 2011 @ 10:16pm CDT
I already signed. Would love to see where they'd go. Like another said it'd be a good reason, and a need honestly, to re-read those Marvel issues.

Count me among those, however many of us there are, that enjoyed the Marvel G2 comic as well.

I like what IDW is doing overall with the ongoing title. I don't get the hate parade for it. It's not the same fun as the Dreamwave books but it is still fun, imo, nonetheless.

OH, and POST #200 right here!!
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1234882)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 6th, 2011 @ 7:55am CDT
A little while back we told you about an interview The Allspark held with Transformers comic legend Simon Furman about the possible publishing of Transformers #81 to continue the original Marvel continuity.
Well our good friends have published the second part of this interview that goes a little more into detail about the actual continuation, we have a short run-down of all the major points for you:
  • The reason Optimus is oblivious the "big army of pissed off Decepticons massing" is because he's so shaken by his own death.
  • The carnage on Earth "makes All Hail Megatron look like the teddy bears’ picnic"
  • Return of Bludgeon, Galvatron, Megatron, Soundwave, Prowl, Grimlock
  • Characters killed by the end of #80 are still dead
  • Subplots: Grimlock goes off the rails trying to cure his Action Master condition. What happened to Scorponok's original head? What is the fate of Spike/Fort Max? What happened to the likes of Circuit Breaker and GB Blackrock?
  • Sticking to US continuity, BUT wants to bring Ultra Magnus into it and possibly the Wreckers
  • Simon envisions the characters close to their original 1980's G1 forms, but with Cybertronian alt modes
  • No Donny Finkleberg :P

For the interview in all of it's glory, please, use the following links to it on the Allspark.com:
Part 1
Part 2
Also, don't forget to sign the petition to get this published!
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1234900)
Posted by excalibur1814 on June 6th, 2011 @ 8:41am CDT

"The original series lasted 80 issues!" ? Not in the UK

Confused?
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1234925)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 6th, 2011 @ 9:55am CDT
excalibur1814 wrote:I'm a bit confused as, obviously, I've only ever read the UK G1 comic from issue 1 up to the final issue which was around(?) issue 300+. Does this mean that after issue 80 everything will be ignored?

"The original series lasted 80 issues!" ? Not in the UK

Confused?

The UK issues are different.
Due to the UK comic publishing format (biweekly) Marvel UK rann out of US comic material to reprint pretty fast but the comic was going pretty strong. So in order to continue the TF comic series, the US material was spread out over multiple issues as a story ark with extra UK exclusive stories to fill the pages of the issue. This allowed for more character development, Ultra Magnus I believe existed only in one issue of the US comic, more stories and less plot holes.
For a better more detailed explanation see here
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers ... #Marvel_UK
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1234929)
Posted by Cyberstrike on June 6th, 2011 @ 10:02am CDT
Dead Metal wrote:Lets see if us posting this can boost signatures for this petition.

Also, I might actually be interested in this, since it has nothing to do with the now ruined idw G1 comic.

IDW's ongoing comic is the best Transformers comic ever. I don't want to waste my time on bad 80/90s retro-book by a writer who is way past his prime.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1235006)
Posted by Stormwolf on June 6th, 2011 @ 11:50am CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:IDW's ongoing comic is the best Transformers comic ever.

LOL, now I'd really love to see #81 made :lol:
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1235064)
Posted by 1337W422102 on June 6th, 2011 @ 2:01pm CDT
Want so hard. And if he sneaks Death's Head in there, I will stain my pants, yes? :x
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1235077)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 6th, 2011 @ 2:18pm CDT
Cyberstrike wrote:

I'm sorry, but are you still not over the fact that I don't have the same taste for thin spreaded badly written shlock like you?
Do you honestly have to keep quoting old posts of mine where I state my own opinion and taste just to tell me once again that you disagree with me? I mean, seriously even the newbies know that by now. Why can't I just stop buying and reading something I don't like, while at the same time voicing interest in something by the same company due to it being "relatively new and untarnished"?
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1235093)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on June 6th, 2011 @ 2:33pm CDT
What happened to the likes of Circuit Breaker and GB Blackrock?

Even if this happens, how could he use those characters? Marvel owns them right? I remember for a while they weren't even allowed to reprint the stories characters like that appeared in.
Re: Simon Furman interview regarding Transformers #81 (1235095)
Posted by Dead Metal on June 6th, 2011 @ 2:36pm CDT
Dark Optimum Supreme wrote:
What happened to the likes of Circuit Breaker and GB Blackrock?

I believe they can use Blackrock due to not existing outside of the TF comics, also I guess Circuit Breaker might just be mentioned in dialogue or something like that.

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Ultra Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Playskool Heroes Transformers Rescue Bots Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #267 - Netflix Earthrise Reviewed
"Netflix Earthrise Reviewed"
Posted: Monday, December 28th, 2020

Buy "Transformers IF EX-26R Racing Bros. Retrograde (Runabout)(Runamuck)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime RID Arcee Deluxe Class NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers HUB Dark Of The Moon Cyberverse: MEGATRON (Unopened) Series 1 003" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS BUMBLEBEE CYBERVERSE ADVENTURES DELUXE SOUNDWAVE w/ LASERBEAK MIB" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Kingdom War For Cybertron Trilogy LEADER CLASS OPTIMUS PRIME NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers IRONWORKS Earthrise War for Cybertron Trilogy Hasbro brand new" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robot Academy Medix the Doc-Bot Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Quintesson Judge Allicon Sharkticon Lot" on EBAY