TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0

TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0

Sunday, March 25th, 2012 9:14pm CDT

Categories: Toy News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 42,177

SydneyY of fellow Transformers fansite TFW2005 has posted the translated TakaraTomy Staff Interview with Shogo Hasui from Transformers Generations 2011 Vol.2. The interview focuses on his work designing MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0. We have posted a few excerpts below, click here to read the full translated interview.

Tell us why Convoy was selected again as the (Masterpiece) subject.
Hasui: It has a lot to do with our future hopes for the series; the Masterpiece series can become a more enjoyable line to collect if all of the robot modes are in scale with each other.

Do you mean there will be many different kinds of Masterpiece figures?
Hasui: I believe the past MP figures are supurb on their own, but I must say there wasn't much consideration to match the scales. I think the appeal of Transformers is the world view in which many characters co-exist. We want the Masterpieces to become the series that can recreate the Transformers World by lining up different kind of characters - large, small or combiners - Convoy was chosen as the herald of such a lineup.

The Masterpiece series began as an individual commemoration, but now you are starting over as a standardised series?
Hasui: That is right. This (MP- 10) is not simply meant to be a shrunken remake of MP-1 to match the scale with MP Rodimus Convoy, but a new beginning. I hope this Convoy will lead the characters that will be released in the future.

On the other hand, were there any gimmicks and such you had to give up?
Hasui: Personally, I wanted to include Drag (Huffer).

Masterpiece Minibot!?
Hasui: The reason way I was so particular about Drag was that I was very impressed with the episode in which he pulled Convoy's trailer when Convoy was hurt. So, as the herald of smaller Masterpiece figures, I wanted to create a Drag that is compatible with the trailer. I believe the Transformers world is based on such compatibility. I knew I wouldn't get another chance (for MP Drag) if I couldn't make one then, and I put lots of effort into it.... Unfortunately, there was no spare budget for such an extra and I had to abandon him. This is another reason that the Roller can pull the trailer - it is substituting for Drag.

By the way, is there a plan for Ultra Magnus using this Convoy?
Hasui: It depends on how well MP-10 is received, but he is a character I would like to consider. To tell you the truth, I took many possibilities into consideration when I developed Convoy. You might find some clues while playing with him.

We might want Megatron in the same scale, too.
Hasui: I would like to eventually, although I do not want to take an easy way and release second versions consecutively. I can't comment on what is coming up next yet, but I want this series to have a variety that the fans can enjoy by anticipating who might come out next. Firstly we would like to concentrate on G1 and by releasing Transformers in various sizes, I hope the series will have a sense of scale. I want Masterpiece to be the series where you can visualise the G1 world by lining up all characters.

Credit(s): SydneyY of TFW2005

Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362276)
Posted by BeastProwl on March 25th, 2012 @ 9:36pm CDT
ALL characters? Primus!
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362277)
Posted by Dean ML on March 25th, 2012 @ 9:39pm CDT
Scale accurate masterpiece G1 characters? That's exactly what I want to hear!
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362278)
Posted by BeastProwl on March 25th, 2012 @ 9:41pm CDT
ALL characters? Primus!
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362281)
Posted by Rated X on March 25th, 2012 @ 9:56pm CDT
How about finishing the dinobots instead ???

I cant see his vision unfolding with the corparate restraints of Has/Tak. Huge figures just arent fun unless you can have the entire cast of characters which would be too expensive. At least MP dinobots are in scale with the classics line in dino modes...
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362285)
Posted by It Is Him on March 25th, 2012 @ 10:13pm CDT
I just finished watching Mad Men, and I totally read that interview with Lance Price's voice in my head (the British guy).
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362286)
Posted by PM Longstacks on March 25th, 2012 @ 10:27pm CDT
Did he say combiners? After TFC's and Maketoys' I could use an extra Devy!
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362287)
Posted by roBROmanceFTW on March 25th, 2012 @ 10:29pm CDT
Dean ML wrote:Scale accurate masterpiece G1 characters? That's exactly what I want to hear!

I second that motion. Here's hoping we get a legitimate Faith Leader! :KREMZEEK:
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362289)
Posted by megatronus on March 25th, 2012 @ 10:33pm CDT
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362291)
Posted by CrimsonPrime on March 25th, 2012 @ 10:45pm CDT
megatronus wrote:So Sideswipe is next, with strong hints that Soundwave is one the way. Hopefully this will be a true reset - and not cost us several arms, legs, kidneys, and other assorted body parts.

I dont mind selling body parts. That's why owning a hospital is such a great business idea :D.

MP Combiners? Now that sounds interesting. Btw guys dont get your hopes up too much. Yes I agree this guy genuinely wants the G1 cast to be in MP-scale but dont you forget that HasTak has the rights to block his ideas...So yeah dont get your hopes up too much.
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362294)
Posted by Downbeat on March 25th, 2012 @ 10:48pm CDT
This was a great interview! Dude knows his stuff, is very passionate about it. Can't wait to see what he does next!
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362295)
Posted by combiner711 on March 25th, 2012 @ 10:57pm CDT
Wow! if they (Has/Tak) can assure me what will be the MP line figures would be and when it will be released, I am going to start investing my money right away with this! :BANG_HEAD:
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362296)
Posted by Lapse Of Reason on March 25th, 2012 @ 10:58pm CDT
He sounds like the type of guy I like to imagine is on the Transformers development team. Great attitude!
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362300)
Posted by griftimus prime on March 25th, 2012 @ 11:37pm CDT
save the redus for last. give us new stuff
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362302)
Posted by megatronus on March 26th, 2012 @ 12:29am CDT
I agree... no way combiners are coming out anytime soon. They're definitely looking to test the waters with FOC Bruticus, which from what we've seen so far, sadly sucks :/
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362306)
Posted by Trikeboy on March 26th, 2012 @ 12:43am CDT
As a Masterpiece collector I'm very happy with this interview. It sounds like TakaraTomy are finally figuring things out for the Masterpiece line as a whole. The past toys have been a bit disorganized to say the least. Shogo Hasui seems to be the right sort of guy to be on the Masterpiece team. I look forward to the continuation of this line, with smaller Masterpiece toys at smaller costs (please bring Sideswipe under the $60 mark).
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362326)
Posted by noctorro on March 26th, 2012 @ 2:51am CDT
Cool story bro,

Don't think it's going to happen. MP10 Optimus was expensive as sin. How is that going to be profitable? Sure they may bring out 2 more but after that sales will fall and the line will be cancelled because the collector's are simply broke.

I say make G1 Legends Optimus and Megatron in voyager scale and then we'll talk about a masterpiece line.
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362338)
Posted by metaphorge on March 26th, 2012 @ 5:36am CDT
I still want that Masterpiece Huffer he spoke of. Waaaah.
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362339)
Posted by combiner711 on March 26th, 2012 @ 5:46am CDT
The guy knows what the fans really wants! But if he could only show us a concept of any MP combiner they plan to put up in future then I will believe him but at this moment I still doubt the MP line. >:oP
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362342)
Posted by Mykltron on March 26th, 2012 @ 6:24am CDT
So Sideswipe will be smaller. He'd better be a damned site cheaper as well.
Re: TakaraTomy Staff Interview - Shogo Hasui on MP-10 Convoy Version 2.0 (1362412)
Posted by kirbenvost on March 26th, 2012 @ 11:39am CDT
This is a pretty cool interview with a lot of promise. And we know what the next MP is, I just hope the prices line up with the size.

Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #271 - Meh-pisode
"Meh-pisode"
Posted: Friday, March 5th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Classics Universe Sunstreaker With Reprolabels" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron: Earthrise Deluxe WFC-E20 Smokescreen" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS ROBOTS IN DISGUISE MINI CON DEPLOYERS FRACTURE AIRAZOR MISB 2014" on EBAY
Buy "New Authentic Transformers Combiner Wars Defensor Lot of 7. Protectobots MISB." on EBAY
Buy "Brand New Transformers Bot Shots Battle Game Series 1 Mirage L@@K!" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hasbro Combiner Wars Deluxe Smokescreen" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hasbro Combiner Wars Legends Rodimus loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the primes POTP Leader Rodimus Prime" on EBAY