Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots)

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots)

Saturday, March 7th, 2015 8:11AM CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 56,959

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots)

Ever since the introduction of female Transformers with an air of mystery in the G1 episode "The Search for Alpha Trion", fans have wondered what it means for Transforming robots to have a different sex. Or is it gender because they don't reproduce? In that case, then why different genders? and on and on. Regardless, these female robots, aka fembots, have garnered a lot of love throughout the years, maybe in part to their mystery, for how much diversity they add to the show or for how rare it is to see one in a show (and even rarer to see in toy form). I think they are kickass and add a lot to the brand which is, more often than not, purposefully male centric. Here are my picks for the top 5 fembots of all time!

5. Beast Machines Botanica

I must admit that the originality of her concept and design is a big reason for her inclusion on this list. She is to this day the only plant transformer ever depicted in fiction (let me know in the comments if that still holds true). However, it doesn't stop there. She displays a very motherly affection (to her planet in this case) which makes her very passionate about her cause and stake in the war against Megatron. Thus, the motherly qualities associated to her gender are used in the actual writing instead of her gender being used just to add diversity to the cast or designs. There is also a lot of world building owed to that character since her hatred for Megatron hints that this villain's reach extends beyond the cast of characters we followed.

Also, I love her accent and the way she says Megatron is pretty great (and kinda sexy).

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots)

4. G1 Elita One

While we see little of her, she is essentially the one in charge of continuing Optimus Prime's mission on their home planet, this is huge! And we see through the famous G1 episode "The Search for Alpha Trion" that she is aware of the great responsibility bestowed upon her and runs a pretty tight ship. While number 3 on this list is a far more popular character, Elita One will always be Cybertron's first lady to me.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots)

3. G1 Arcee

G1's number 1 fembot for sure. The design is great and she adds nice diversity to the main season 3 cast, showing how much of a different direction the writers are taking with the season. However, when watching back, she doesn't seem to have a lot to do, unlike Kup, Rodimus, Ultra Magnus and Wreck Gar (of all autobots), who keep hogging the spotlight. My main beef is pretty much that the main reason she stands out in the cartoon is due to her gender and design and I would have preferred a bit more, hence her not being #1 on this list. However, and I cannot stress this enough, her inclusion in G1 cannon and the Transformers brand itself is a testament to the brand's potential diversity and her aesthetics serve as a prototypical example to how kids of any gender would want some Transformers toys.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots)

2. Transformers Prime Arcee

I find it really awesome how the Autobot's most daring and ruthless warrior is also their smallest and slimmest member. That totally sets gender roles upside down. She is very fun earlier on, before the influx in autobots, where she acts like the Clint Eastwood of the show, not calling in for backup and doing things her way. Of course, there is a great emotional aspect to the character in the way she wants to avoid loss at all cost, which explains her hardass attitude. This is set up very well in the early episodes and it stops her from being a caricature to instead make her probably the deepest character on the show.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots)

1. Beast Wars/Beast Machines Blackarachnia

Blackarachnia is undoubtedly the best fembot in all Transformers fiction history. The reason behind this is because, to me, she has the greatest arc of all Beast Wars characters throughout the 5 seasons she appears in. Her different gender is not just a visual cue but comes up in how she acts, how she thinks. Her great sense of self preservation does not allow her to see the world simply in black and white and she must always be in control of the situation no matter her predicament. Her design is sleek and sexy and she uses it to get her way as she plays mind games on unknowing maximals and predacons who are usually a lot more powerful than her physically. She also brings to the table an emotional depth where she hides behind a stone cold attitude in order to survive in this war. However, she does have a softer side which can be revealed under the right conditions. Watching her development from her introduction in Beast Wars as a stone cold villain, up until her reveal as a passionate hero who will stop at nothing to be reunited with her lover, is something I would have never expected to see in a cartoon about alien robots fighting each other. And yet the writers make it work using her different gender to augment the storytelling and emotional aspect of the show.

Her legacy lives on as two North American based Transformers show have used a similar female spider design as part of their decepticon line up since then (TF Animated's Blackarachnia and Prime's Airachnid).

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots)

Honourable mentions: G1 Chromia, Beast Wars Airazor, Animated Black Arachnia, Animated Arcee.

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660067)
Posted by Cobotron on March 7th, 2015 @ 8:50am CST
Well, good morning ladies.
I'm glad Blackarachnia is at the top of the list. The character's inner conflict has always made her one of the more interesting ones regardless of gender IMO. Not a huge fan of the show, but I always liked TF Primes portrayal of Arcee. She is one tough lil ninja. IDW's handling of her is a whole other story. Sheeesh!

I gotta say though, maybe it's just me and my fanboy crush, but I see Strongarm rising to the top very quickly. She is a neat charactor with a ton of potential.

Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660069)
Posted by Va'al on March 7th, 2015 @ 9:00am CST
Y u no Windblade? :(
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660070)
Posted by RhA on March 7th, 2015 @ 9:04am CST
Where's Starscream on this list?
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660078)
Posted by Va'al on March 7th, 2015 @ 9:11am CST
Starscream defies gender.
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660080)
Posted by Tsutsukakushi on March 7th, 2015 @ 9:17am CST
1. G1 Arcee
2. Beast wars Beast Machines Blackarachnia
3. G1 Elita One
4. Animated Slipscream
5. Cybertron Thunderblast
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660089)
Posted by Sigmus Prime on March 7th, 2015 @ 9:29am CST
I'm liking this list overall, but I think TFP Arcee is still my favorite fembot.
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660090)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 7th, 2015 @ 9:30am CST
There is so few fembots in Transformers that it's hard to make a top five. So, here's my list in no particular order:

I agree with Will about Blackarachnia. She's awesome, deep, and have the deepest character devlopment. The beast Wars series are one of the best series ever written and it show in BW Blackarachnia. Now, can we have a 1st season show accurate toy?

G1 Arcee is just a mascot who don't do much. However, her Prime counterpart is awesome. Bad-ass but not a biotch. She's also, well... hum... human!

Prime's Airachnid is the best fem-villain. She's a sadist and scary as hell. She's one of my favorite TRULY EVIL villain. Too bad her toy suck so much. She deserved better.

TF Animated Sari. Spoiler alert if you havent seen Animated yet. Sari start of as the stock kid companion. She's a clever girl and not at all annoying, which is a great plus. Later, we learn that she's actually a Transformers herself, just some sort of... pretender? I would really have liked for Animated to go on for one more season just so she can be awarded a transtector body for her to use. Either as a headmaster or powermaster.

Well, look at that. Look like I made a top four list. I only have the cartoons as refference so no comic characters can be included.
Now, I wonder how RID Strongarm will be? Will she be awesome in her own thing, or will she be just TF Prime Arcee in a beefier body?
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660101)
Posted by Va'al on March 7th, 2015 @ 9:44am CST
Yes, Sari, good call! :D
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660123)
Posted by grimdragon2001 on March 7th, 2015 @ 9:59am CST
You forgot to mention how Blackarachnia actually managed to outclass Starscream in treachery (a career achievement for her in my book)

but anyway, this list seems right. Though, if T-AI had a body I'd want her in the list
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660143)
Posted by griftimus prime on March 7th, 2015 @ 10:22am CST
really glad to not see windblade on this list
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660154)
Posted by Va'al on March 7th, 2015 @ 10:31am CST
griftimus prime wrote:really glad to not see windblade on this list

Oh, don't worry, here she is.

Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660157)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 7th, 2015 @ 10:33am CST
Va'al wrote:
griftimus prime wrote:really glad to not see windblade on this list

Oh, don't worry, here she is.

STOP MAKING ME WANT TAKARA WINDBLADE SO MUCH!!!!

Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660161)
Posted by Coptur on March 7th, 2015 @ 10:36am CST
I have NEVER wondering why they're female transformers I just accept them for who/what they're and not bang on about like its an issue.
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660165)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on March 7th, 2015 @ 10:39am CST
I would have put Airachnid on the list. Villain, sure, but she was very good and getting what she needed, and she was more terrifying than just about every other Decepticon in the entirety of the series. Just sayin'.
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660166)
Posted by Va'al on March 7th, 2015 @ 10:39am CST
Good for you.

EDIT: Vague post is vague.
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660190)
Posted by SFXPrime on March 7th, 2015 @ 11:15am CST
5. Solus Prime

4. Moon Racer

3. Airrazor

2. Elita-1

1. Arcee

Also, looking forward to seeing our new, potentionally, female combiner team. Just saying, I'm pretty sure the female option was definitely the winner this time as well.
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660211)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 7th, 2015 @ 11:58am CST
Va'al wrote:Good for you.

EDIT: Vague post is vague.

Allow me a French pun:

Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660228)
Posted by OptimusPrimeval on March 7th, 2015 @ 12:15pm CST
My favourites are, character-wise:

5: G1 Arcee
4: ROTF Alice
3: TFA Blackarchnia
2: TFA Sari Sumdac
1: BW Blackarachnia

and toy-wise:

5: TFA Blackarachnia
4: BW Airazor
3: TM2 Blackarachnia
2: TFCC Transmutate
1: Generations Arcee

I don't know enough about Windblade's character, or own the TFA animated Arcee toy, but I suspect they would have been contenders for the lists.

Anyway...
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660251)
Posted by Rated X on March 7th, 2015 @ 1:05pm CST
My Top 5

5. Strika (my favorite butch :lol: )

4. Arachnid/Blackarachnia (same s**t, different continuity)

3. Crasher (Gotta change it up a bit)

2. Elita One (The original Arcee before we had Arcee)

1. Arcee (cmon, you knew that was coming ;) )

Honorable mention - Drag strip (Leave it to Funpub to create the first T-bot)

Worst ever - Botanica (Sorry William, you lost me with that one. Im sending in Alpha Bravo strapped with a tank of Cybertronian weed killer :lol: )
Re: Top 5 Best Female Transformer characters (Fembots) (1660254)
Posted by kaijuguy19 on March 7th, 2015 @ 1:06pm CST
This is tough seeing as how there's plenty of fembots I like but I'll list down the ones that I like the most.

1. Prime Arcee: Despite some flaws I like how much more of a role she has then her past show versions. I enjoy how she can be both ruthless and pretty caring at the same time and how she ends up being among the most liked characters in Prime.

2.BW Blackarachnia: Like others said she's without question the first true greatly written fembot character in the history of the franchise. It's amazing how she ends up being a villain then later on be a hero while keeping her sexy bad girl additude on.

3.IDW Windblade: She's made a great start in IDW so far with having a personatly that's both sweet and heroic and I like how she's able to see the good in people while at the same time not being naive. She also pulls off her Japanese inspired design off well thanks to Sarah Stone's art for her.

4. TFP Airachnid: Even though she has some strong spider like elements on her design with sharing Blackarachnia's femme fatale air in her character I like how she ends up being such a sadist who takes pleasure in messing her victims big time and she's proven to be someone who's not to be taken lightly. Those help make her be a different person then Blackarachnia without doubt. Shame we never got a proper send off with her arc with Arcee so far at least.

5.RID15 Strong Arm: So far I'm digging her character. She's the by the book cadet but she's not afraid to have some fun every now and then too. Also it's cool to see her have a design that's more in lines of Strika then how most fembots are designed. It helps make her be different in her own right.

Ending Soon On eBay

Takara MP-21G Cybertron Espionage Bumblebee G2 Ver. Transformers Masterpiece Toy - Time Remaining: 1 day 23 hours 27 minutes 32 seconds
Transformers Titans Return Astrotrain Darkmoon Voyager Generations - Time Remaining: 14 days 19 hours 28 minutes 3 seconds
Transformers Combiner Wars Motormaster Menasor CHEAP Intl Shipping - Time Remaining: 6 days 17 hours 28 minutes 19 seconds
Transformers Armada Supreme Class UNICRON & MINICON DEAD END - Time Remaining: 5 days 7 hours 29 minutes 41 seconds
Hasbro Transformers Movie Voyager Class Autobot First Strike Optimus Prime MISB - Time Remaining: 4 days 11 hours 30 minutes 33 seconds
Transformers G2 Go-bots - Bumblebee 100% w/ MIC! Vintage 1994 - Time Remaining: 1 day 23 hours 41 minutes 50 seconds
Transformers 30th Anniversary Generations IDW Hasbro ARCEE, BRAINSTORM, CHROMIA - Time Remaining: 2 days 12 hours 42 minutes 31 seconds
Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition Decepticon Berserker Deluxe Class - Time Remaining: 1 day 6 hours 46 minutes 14 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #188 - Mutinous Intent