Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys

Saturday, March 2nd, 2019 2:05PM CST

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 28,496

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are our opinions so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys

As I was writing this list I realized something interesting: Quite a few of the best Transformers toys of all time turn into fire trucks. Sure you can say that about other alt modes, like sports cars and jets, but a firetruck is a bit more distinctive. However as distictive as that type of truck is, the amazing fire truck toys we have gotten over the years all showcase different types of firetrucks, from different nations.

5. Transformers Cybertron Optimus Prime (Galaxy Convoy) as a Fire Truck of unknown origins

Don't let this being number 5 take away anything from the fact that this is one of the best Optimus Prime toys out there. It was a new design with some nice homages and while the articulation is lacking, it has fun play features, looks imposing and has this nice chunky feel to him. However, when it comes to its firetruck alt mode there is a lot to be desired. While the show is called Cybertron, this was actually supposed to be a (futuristic?) earth vehicle, specifically a fire truck. I see it enough to let it be on this list, especially given how great the toy is, but the alt mode is clearly not one fo this figure's strongest points.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys

4. Transformers Universe - Classics 2.0 Infernoas an American pumper/tanker fire truck

This is one of the best molds from the Universe line. I really love how efficient the paneling is at filling in some crucial alt mode details to cover the robot bits and then dissapearing in robot mode. I love the itty bitty toes transforming to give the alt mode smoother surface in the back, and I love the bold firetruck front in bot mode. The G1 headsculpt is fun too and it is simply a great update to the Inferno design within a neo g1 line especially in its alt mode which is of a firetruck that is far more recognisable to western fans today. It is one of the toys I keep coming back to for a fun transformation experience and its great redecos and retools out there give us even more reasons to have it in one's collection multiple times.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys

3. Transformers Robots In Disguise Optimus Prime (Fire Convoy) as a Japanese Hino Brandlier fire truck

While I am certain this toy could be redone to day to be mroe stable, the quality and look here is probably better than anything we could hope for today. It just looks great thanks to the use of chrome, clear plastic and generous paint. I really like the super form's head sculpt too which was a very different version of a Prime headsculpt but still has some call backs to both Optimus Prime and Optimus Primal. And this is the Transformers firetruck which has by far the most awesome ladder. It can extend to a ludicrous degree, become one hell of a canon in robot mode and it has a series of pop out missiles to boot.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Dark of the Moon Leader Sentinel Prime as a Rosenbauer Panther 6x6 airport fire truck

This is a masterpiece in all but name. The engineering is masterful and this is the last great movie leader we got with its imposing size and complexity. When Transformers toys are compared to origami and rearanging parts to create another form, I think of this toy (and MP 36 Megatron) most. Anyone who loves Transformer toys, regardless of their opinions on live action movie designs, owes it to themselves to transform this bot and see how the robot feet and chest come toform in a series minute steps which take parts seen in the alt mode and flip, turn or fold them to create something new. There are no fake parts on this bot which is also very impressive.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys

1. Transformers Masterpiece Inferno and Artfire as a Mitsubishi Fuso F-Series FT fire ladder truck

We have none other than site owner Seibertron to thank for the following review:

While I still think the legs are in need of some much needed line/panel details to make it look a little less cartoony (ala Masterpiece Grapple), I can't express enough how impressed I am by this toy. Every now and then, there's an ingenious new Transformers figure that just blows me away. Masterpiece Wheeljack comes to mind, Masterpiece Prowl, Transformers Prime RID Vehicon (love the accordion style transformation), Transformers Prime First Edition Cliffjumper, and I'm sure there are a few others but those immediately jump out at me as some of my favorites from the past 5 years.

Inferno is now one of those. Not only is there "ladder magic" happening here, part of the "ladder magic" happens extremely early as in the first step or two of his transformation. There are several really cool things going on with him to achieve a realistic vehicle mode and his beautiful robot mode. While the shoulders/upper arms have a very unique transformation going on (once I figure out how to do them), I would advise caution with this part of his transformation as I foresee broken arms on future loose samples of Masterpiece Inferno and Grapple. Still a very clever transformation, as are the various panels on his legs and cab, the hoses repositioning lower in robot mode, etc. He's also very large. I don't have Ironhide out at the moment but I'm assuming he's as tall if not taller than Ironhide.

Masterpiece MP-33 Inferno is a great, great, great figure. I haven't been this excited about a Masterpiece figure since Wheeljack or Prowl, so it's great to see them do something that really amazes me once again, enough so that I have to come on here to share my excitement.

David Copperfield would be impressed. - Seibertron

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys

Honourable Mention: Transformers Power Core Combiners Smolder as a fire department brush truck. I like that this is not a typical firetruck but still serves the same purpose. I always like when Transformers intriduce new alt modes. There is a nice fire rescue theme with the robot too with the minicon turning into an axe and the combiner head having a curved visor helmet with tubes near the mouth making it look like a cybertronian version of the oxygen supply mask on firefighter equipment.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013006)
Posted by Quantum Surge on March 2nd, 2019 @ 2:15pm CST
Even with the ladder trick, it doesn't make up for how MP Inferno is a plain looking fire truck. I'd rank RID Optimus, Universe Inferno, and DOTM Sentinel up on top.
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013008)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 2nd, 2019 @ 2:35pm CST
I never had nor handled MP Inferno so I can't have an opinion. But for me, the #1 firetruck and maybe the #1 transformers mold of all times is Universe Inferno. I love that mold so much that I did catch 'em all!

Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013014)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on March 2nd, 2019 @ 2:52pm CST
I have to agree with all your choices. MP Inferno is a great figure, and MP Artfire just takes that greatness through the roof with that wicked deco.

One thing I would like to mention; would you consider CW Hot Spot/POTP Inferno as an honorable mention?

Btw, I have never experienced any if these figures, but I do know that each one is good, and so I have no issue with this list ;)

As always, a great list to read Will :APPLAUSE:
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013018)
Posted by frogbat on March 2nd, 2019 @ 3:11pm CST
I have the g1 and mp inferno and the generations mould... I’m a bigger fan of grapple but usually end up getting inferno too... really hoped to see a siege version, think the generations version is one of my least favourite chug figures. Don’t think that will happen due to the potp version,
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013023)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on March 2nd, 2019 @ 3:51pm CST

:CON:
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013025)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 2nd, 2019 @ 4:00pm CST
Fires_Of_Inferno wrote:Niiiice! I absolutely love Smolder! So few Decepticons take the form of emergency response vehicles! It's such a missed opportunity for treachery, to be honest. In a G1 sense, the idea of the Protectobots coming to aid the humans after a Decepticon attack, only for the humans to run screaming because they were attacked by Decepticons with rescue vehicle alt modes is awesome. Or even making humans afraid of their own emergency responders!

:CON:

I made a custom combiner for my friend with that exact theme.
The main unit is a firetruck... literally. :twisted:
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013029)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 2nd, 2019 @ 4:32pm CST
OBJECTION!

Artfire >>> Inferno. He fixed up those little pieces that Inferno needed, so I would technically use MP-37 Artfire instead of Inferno for #1.

The PotP Inferno is a pretty swell mold too, that one would rank pretty high for me. It's a really fun mold that also makes a great combiner torso.

I don't have Universe Inferno, but I have Grapple, and he is pretty swell! He would probably rank above the PotP/CW mold, but it's a close race for me
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013040)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on March 2nd, 2019 @ 6:37pm CST
I will rank Fire Convoy and Galaxy Convoy above MP Inferno every time. As good as DoTM Sentinel is in robot mode, his transformation is annoying so he's at #4. For me, the 5th spot goes to the CW/PotP voyager fire truck mold in general, regardless of which character (even Onslaught, who's not a fire truck) uses it. My personal favorite is Megaempress, because of the color scheme.
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013044)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on March 2nd, 2019 @ 7:02pm CST

I have a special fondness for Sentinel Prime because I work at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and we actually have one of the real firetrucks from the movie (we even got to keep the Autobot emblem on it). I really want to add him to my collection.
11698545_10207407373723631_3552181322792022019_n.jpg

I also think Combiner Wars inferno deserves an honorable mention. It's a really great looking toy, both firetruck and robot. Also his Combiner mode is nice too. But I think he really shines in his scorpion mode. Haha
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013045)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 2nd, 2019 @ 7:04pm CST
Epsilon Delta wrote:dat fire truck dot jpeg

Man, that is pretty damn SWEET! :APPLAUSE:
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013046)
Posted by Ironhidensh on March 2nd, 2019 @ 7:08pm CST
I'm sorry Will, I love ya kid, but the failure to put Super Fire Convoy in the number one spot is simply unforgivable. >:oP [-( ;)

I will agree with others that MP Inferno should be removed and replaced with MP Artfire.
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013047)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on March 2nd, 2019 @ 7:09pm CST
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Epsilon Delta wrote:dat fire truck dot jpeg

Man, that is pretty damn SWEET! :APPLAUSE:

The water cannon on the top can actually cut through a van. It's pretty impressive. If it actually transformed it wouldn't even need weapons because that thing would cut down Decepticons... Or Autobots. I'm still salty about them turning him into a bad guy. I don't want to talk about. Still too soon.
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013050)
Posted by Giant Purple Griffin on March 2nd, 2019 @ 7:31pm CST
Technically, that Universe Inferno is neo-G2. Just saying' :-B
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013062)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on March 2nd, 2019 @ 9:23pm CST
Epsilon Delta wrote:Cybertron Prime is one of my favorite Transformers ever. Just so many things to do with him. Super mode, combinations, fire power, and even his small Prime robot is so much fun. His firetruck is funky, but I will always be grateful for the joke the cartoon made about it.

11698545_10207407373723631_3552181322792022019_n.jpg

Now this is pretty darn special!

I too am still salty about that Sentinel twist. That's pretty much why i sold of my voyager Sentinel, not very good and the character irks me. One of only 2 figures I have ever sold too
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013081)
Posted by Epsilon Delta on March 2nd, 2019 @ 11:57pm CST
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

11698545_10207407373723631_3552181322792022019_n.jpg

Now this is pretty darn special!

I don't know the whole truth of the matter, but when Optimus offered the Matrix and Sentinel didn't take it, to me that just shows there was a different movie in the works. Sentinel was supposed to be a good guy and they got Leonard Nimoy to voice him, and who in the world would believe Nimoy would voice an evil Transformer? (Wink wink) Ah you got me venting. I need to go find him so I can add him to my collection and pretend he was a good guy that sacrificed himself to save Optimus and there was no twist of him being a bad guy.
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013086)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on March 3rd, 2019 @ 4:04am CST
william-james88 wrote:The engineering is masterful and this is the last great movie leader we got with its imposing size and complexity.

Not true. I think all the Studio Series Leaders have been great (with the possible exception of Grimlock who I sold and got the improved black mamba version instead). I certainly think Blackout and Jetfire are superb figures with great robot and alt-modes. I wasn't keen on the Leader sized Sentinel Prime. Mainly because it was just too large. The voyager suited me better but hoping a SS version gets made sometime that takes the best bits of both.

Not really keen on any of these fire truck TFs. Never liked the RID design at all (and the smaller bot is possibly my least fave uncombined Optimus figure design of all time. I detest it) I've had that Cybertron Optimus for a lil while from car boot sales in various forms but I really didn't like it's design and found the transformation boring. I briefly had G1 Inferno and he was a decent toy in the 80s but I don't care for the characters bot design (though it at least looked better than some of this later toys which cut his more unique characteristics and resulted in a far blander robot such as that nasty looking Universe Inferno up there).
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013091)
Posted by Toizarus on March 3rd, 2019 @ 5:55am CST
Something I've noticed about a lot of these "best of" lists - Masterpieces usually win them. Isn't that a bit unfair considering they cost many times more than their retail counterparts? It's getting so the only surprises/discussion points are in the runners-up because if there's a Masterpiece figure involved it'll usually take the top slot.
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013092)
Posted by Black Hat on March 3rd, 2019 @ 6:03am CST

11698545_10207407373723631_3552181322792022019_n.jpg

Oh my, that is cool.

On topic: I agree wholeheartedly with this list, and was very pleased to see Smolder on here too. He's such a fun little toy, and I wouldn't mind a TF Select retool of CW First Aid into him. Plus it's so rare to see an emergency vehicle Decepticon that isn't Barricade.

Whilst I don't own them and thus can't in good conscience recommend them, I will say that G1 Hot Spot and Energon Inferno are a pair of fire engine TFs I'm rather fond of, at least aesthetically. Hot Spot is a good old fashioned G1 chunk with nice proportions, lovely colours and detailing and forms the torso of IMO one of the best looking G1 combiners, whilst Inferno is from what I've seen one of the better Energon Autobots, with actual articulation and a pretty neat design covered in interesting detail and sculptwork.

Also, as a side note: Am I the only one who actually prefers Optimus Prime as a fire engine than as a regular truck? It seems more "heroic" somehow- plus fire engines are just really, really cool.
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013096)
Posted by Emerje on March 3rd, 2019 @ 7:01am CST

I love a good firetruck! My dad used to a be a small town volunteer fire chief when I was a kid so I have a lot of memories being around the trucks and playing with the backpack water tanks. I've got a ton of firetruck Transformers and my favorites just happen to be the same five in the list, but my list is a little different:

5) Sentinel Prime
4) Universe Inferno et al
3) Cybertron Optimus Prime
2) MP Inferno/Artfire
1) RID Optimus Prime/Fire Convoy

Honorable mention to Titanium RID Optimus Prime because that figure is amazing and under rated (if you can ignore the lower legs being hollow. They should revisit this figure's transformation for another truck figure because it's unlike anything else we've ever seen, just add another side to the leg boxes and it would be perfection!

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Firetruck Transformers Toys (2013097)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on March 3rd, 2019 @ 7:26am CST
Having gotten rid of my RID Fire Convoy, I'd really want that Titanium version for my collection. Look very good and will be more displayable because of his smaller size.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #228 - Afterthoughts
"Afterthoughts"
Posted: Monday, August 12th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Leader Class Rodimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Cyber Battalion Prowl Walgreens Exclusive" on EBAY
Buy "ALPHA TRION, Cybertronian Sage: Transformers TCG Wave 3 1/48 - NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal The Shield Special Ops Jazz RTS Not Complete Preowned" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Jazz - Fall Of Cybertron With Weapon Preowned" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Scourge" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Dark of the Moon DOTM Deluxe Sideswipe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Hot Rod G1 Robot Car Retro Vintage Reissue Hotrod Walmart Exclusive" on EBAY