Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys

Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys

Sunday, May 10th, 2020 2:26pm CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 67,767

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Toys

Megatron has had loads of toys throughout the years and unlike Optimus, they have all been very very different from one to the next. That's because his original alt mode, a realistic 1:1 gun, is not something that can be made a toy of as easily as a truck. We already made a list of the best toys to sport the Megatron name but with such varied toys representing his G1 self alone, we thought it could be fun to look at just those. This refers to toys that evoke the original look of Megatron we all know and love. Unlike Optimus Prime, that look has changed throughout the years since Megatron toys released in the US could not turn into realistic life sized guns, but the general theme and aesthetic was still maintained.

5. Transformers Reveal The Shield Legends Megatron

This toy HAD to be on this list, at all cost since it is much more significant than one may think. It is, to this day, Hasbro's final stab at a Megatron toy that turns into a hand gun. Sure, he is small, but that comes with its own set of advantages. For one that means you have a G1 gun Megatron to scale with larger toys like Generations Metroplex, joining other G1 styled smaller toys like Optimus and Starscream. Plus, him being so small, means you have a transforming Megatron toy that can be held by Masterpiece Starscream. In fact, in terms of cross compatibility, Megatron in his gun form can be held by Starscream in both robot mode(thanks to a peg at the handle) and jet mode (thanks to the clip underneath).

Image from Yatsuya Reviews

4. Transformers G1 1984 Megatron (Reissue)

While G1 Megatron may look of with propotions and a trigger hear his crotch, I feel this is one of the main G1 toys everyone should experience. The transformation is very clever and it is very impressive how back in the 80s they could have a realistic gun turn into a robot. There are plenty of reissues available, so taht helps, and it turns out the reissues are even better than the original. The original Hasbro version couldn't fire pellets while the original Takara release was not silver but several reissues give you the best of both worlds by having a silver/chrome finish gun that actually fires.

3. Transformers United Megatron

For over a decade, this was the best G1 styled Megatron toy. The design is still great and very smart. I espeially love how the legs become different parts of the gun's alt mode and yet are identical. While the Hasbro deco was a bit off, with some purple and neon green, the Takara versions and the recent Platinum release have some very nice paint schemes.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys

2. WFC Siege Megatron Netflix (specifically the Netflix boxset)

This toy was a looooooong time coming. While we had several Classics Megatrons over the years, they were either too small or too big or a redeco of another character (like Blitzwing or Bludgeon). And finally in the Siege line, we got a G1 styled Megatron who was the right size and not someone else's mold/body. That is worth celebrating, let alone the fact that he is a fun toy. The proportions are nice, especially the size of the fusion cannon, and while the tank mode could be better the robot mode makes up for any alt mode shortcoming. I especially recommend the Netflix version since the deco is more apt, especially int terms of the weathering, and it fixes an issue with the ankles. Plus it comes with targetmasters we actually needed like a properly coloured Lionizer and pinpointer.

1. Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP 36 Megatron

I will be honest, I had my doubts with this toy. The price was the highest I had ever paid for a Transformers figure and the intricacies of the transformation worried me. The previous MP Megatron was not fun to transform and this one was even more complex.
But all those worries melted away when I first transformed the figure. Well, even before even because i was amazed at how solid the robot was. This toy has great articulation and parts don't unclip, he really stays together as a full fledged action figure. And then when transforming him you see just how many parts are involved and you wonder just how it's possible that you have all these small moving piece that can disconnect and reconnect themselves in different positions to form two solid modes. The transformation, while complex, was not annoying. Every part had a place to go, it felt like a pleasant journey. I especially liked the side of his abdominal area disappearing within the body of the gun. I also like transforming the legs since there are smaller pieces used just for the robot mode to fill out the legs and since they disappear when forming the gun handle, it really gives the impression that the toy is morphing to accommodate closer proportions to what we see on the show even though initially the handle of the gun simply split into two legs.
Whether that last part was clear or not doesn't matter, what I want to get across is that I felt I had a great toy and a great experience and that it was money well spent. I do not know if this is the best Masterpiece toy of all time but it is easily the best G1 Megatron toy by a country mile.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys

Honourable Mention: The Combiner Wars leader class Megatron is an ok toy, and looks the part, especially the headsculpt. But unlike any of the figures above, it just didn't break any new ground. It was also a very basic toy for the leader price point and it started the now aborted budget MP scale which I still have a tough time remedying within my collection (and eventually sold).

Transformers News: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys

Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063899)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on May 10th, 2020 @ 2:35pm CDT
Hmm, I'm not that familiar with a lot of G1-styled Megatrons, so I don't have a list of my own. This list is good, the only change I would make would be placing G1 Megatron above the Classics version, just because the gun mode is near perfect. I completely wrote off the Netflix Megatron as a needless redeco, but now I'm thinking twice about it. I already have Trenchfoot whom I use as Pinpointer and I don't care about any version of Lionizer, so I don't know what I would do with the battlemasters. As for the CW leader, his tank mode makes him not a complete waste of plastic, but he's close.

Would the Titanium War Within Megatron be considered G1-styled?
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063902)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on May 10th, 2020 @ 2:41pm CDT
Great list, Will! Mine is exactly the same! Combiner Wars Megs was a decent toy, and while it looked great, it ultimately did not fit in my collection well enough either. I'm so happy for MP36 and the Siege mold, both of which I really enjoy playing with.

As for the upcoming Earthrise Megs, I don't see myself getting that, really. It's just not as visually interesting as the Siege mold.

BTW, does Animated Leader Class Megatron count as a G1 Styled Megs? :-P
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063907)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on May 10th, 2020 @ 3:15pm CDT
Great list. I really can't disagree with any of them. I'm glad I have a reissue G1 Megatron that can fire the pellets. I also own the original Classics 2006 version of Megatron, and to be honest I really like the color scheme. I don't know. It just pops for me.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063909)
Posted by ZeroWolf on May 10th, 2020 @ 3:25pm CDT

As far as the list goes, I can't fault it :D Really good choices all around.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063911)
Posted by blackeyedprime on May 10th, 2020 @ 3:27pm CDT
I think I'd swap siege with classics and then replace siege with titans return - sure the mold is intended to be Blitzwing but three good modes (plus the titan master) to a figure with one good mode and a take it or leave it (always in robot mode) h-tank.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063919)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on May 10th, 2020 @ 4:36pm CDT
Kinda makes me want Netflix Megatron. But he doesn't unseat Hegemon for me ... but if I didn't have Hegemon I think he would.

One thing I dislike about Henkei Megs(that's the version of the mold I have) are his wings. They're so large they make placing him in a crowd annoying.

I think I like World's Smallest Megatron more than RTS Megatron. I didn't realize he had a peg specifically for Starscream to hold, but I like the gun mode of WSTF Megs better and, at the time, it was amazing to get G1 transformations so small. I had Primus holding that guy for ages.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063921)
Posted by cruizerdave on May 10th, 2020 @ 4:58pm CDT
I was going to protest if Henkei Megs wasn’t on the list, but he is so ... good job!
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063923)
Posted by TheForgottenTaxi on May 10th, 2020 @ 5:39pm CDT
I love all these toys (or at least these molds; I have the US version of the Classics mold, which I repainted myself, and haven't gotten the good version of the Siege one yet).

I know nobody likes it, but I also have a soft spot for MP-05. Its robot mode is floppy and spindly, but I still kinda like it, the transformation is fun, and the gun mode is killer.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063926)
Posted by Railbomb on May 10th, 2020 @ 6:36pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063930)
Posted by SkyFire Prime on May 10th, 2020 @ 8:48pm CDT
Railbomb wrote:I just can't agree with making the CW Megs an honorable mention. To me that is still the best all-around version of Megatron. Sure the transformation is a bit simple but it makes it fun and easy to transform back and forth. The working treads and 360 degree rotating turret give it one of the best tank modes. Plus, it's the only Megatron to have the spark chamber from Beast Wars inside the chest. Next to the PotP Optimus he looks right at home and make a great centerpiece for a Generations display.

I couldn't agree more, the only way he gets unseated in my collection....is maybe when Netflix Megatron shows up.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063941)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on May 10th, 2020 @ 9:48pm CDT
Honestly super shocked TR Megatron did not make this list. That is a great toy that beats at least the bottom 3 on this list.

I also really enjoy the stealth bomber 30th anniversary Megatron, it counts, G1 Megatron had this body.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063944)
Posted by sol magnus on May 10th, 2020 @ 10:25pm CDT
It's a damned shame you have to provide your own pictures of MP-36. On the merits of your article, I'm in complete agreement.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063952)
Posted by -WonkoTheSane- on May 10th, 2020 @ 11:04pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I still can't look at MP-36 (fine figure that he is) and not see something that Seibs himself pointed out a few years ago. That being Megs unfortunate placing of the folding panels in megs crotch. I'll let the dirty minded amongst you work out what was said.

I remember that. :lol:
IMO it's a lot less noticeable in person.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063954)
Posted by -WonkoTheSane- on May 10th, 2020 @ 11:09pm CDT
I completely agree with MP36 being first.
It truly is a marvel of modern Transformers engineering.
Not to mention it's arguably the definitive figure of G1 Megatron.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063961)
Posted by Evil Eye on May 11th, 2020 @ 8:26am CDT
Great list! Subjectively I'm not so keen on MP-36 but he's an undeniably cool toy, and really I don't see who else could take the crown. Also good to see the old Classics mold get some love, I still think he's an awesome looking figure.

One I would be tempted to add as an honourable mention is the Cloud figure, though I don't know if he's too stylized to count.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063963)
Posted by Go-Faster-Wings on May 11th, 2020 @ 9:27am CDT
Awesome list!! I mostly agree!! All the toys listed are so nice. I would take off the legends size gun mold and this would be my list:
5. Seige Megatron: great looking, nice articulation, but the tank mode is really not a winner for me. Transformation isn't the best, either.
4.MP 36 Megatron: both modes look fantastic, he's an incredible display piece, but that transformation!! I can't put him any higher because he fails as a "toy" for me, he's always going to be in robot mode on my shelf and I dont think I've ever just picked him up to play with him.
3. Titans Return Megatron: So much fun to play with. This is almost always my go-to for just messing around. He looks great in plane mode and the robot mode has such a different, but still obviously Megatron look to him. I think it's a phenomenal figure, and he has a certain presence on the shelf i just love.
2. War for Cybertron (2010) Megatron: Another figure with amazing presence. He looks amazing in robot mode, he looks like an incredibly evil character, all his jagged edges and angular features. Transformation is easy and tank mode is different and cool. I love this thing and regularly display him with my Classics 'cons.
1. Henkei Megatron: in 2008 I was 13 and this was the first ever toy I imported, saving up just enough from doing yard work around the neighborhood to by him and Henkei Prime from Amazon (which I would discover later was quite the mark up. I was going haha) This is the Megatron that will always, always be in my Classics shelf, he has an amazing look to him and that transformation!!! So much fun and totally wild, like the Emporer of Destruction should be.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063988)
Posted by YRQRM0 on May 11th, 2020 @ 1:47pm CDT
CW Megatron is hugely underrated to me. Maybe it's the working treads which I'm a sucker for. But he just feels so solid.

Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2063989)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on May 11th, 2020 @ 1:56pm CDT
I doubt anything short of a new mold design for MP Megatron will usurp MP-36. G1 Megs is one of the designs I like the least, but the list is solid.
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2064011)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on May 11th, 2020 @ 4:07pm CDT
YRQRM0 wrote:Siege Megatron, on the other hand, feels super overrated imo. He's the most disappointing Siege mold I've purchased. The Netflix paint is nice, but it's polish on a turd for me. I would really like them to give him another go with a whole new mold.

Oh, wow, really? He seems like one of the best G1 Megatron types since he has the look and posability down. What about him was so disappointing to you?
Re: Top 5 Best G1 Styled Megatron Transformers Toys (2064066)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on May 12th, 2020 @ 11:31am CDT
Man, that CW Leader class Megs just makes me so angry every time I look at it. What a dumb toy. He looks like Colonel Mustard, with his launch and his skinny legs and he’s got those stupid G1-Swindle-shoulders that rotate from the middle of his torso instead of his neck line. And the fusion cannon, God don’t even get me started. Too late, I’m started. Megatron’s signature weapon is reduced to an articulation-hindering tumor. Ugh...I dunno which mood I hate more; CW Leader Megs or the CW Brakedwon/Wheeljack/Sunstreaker.

Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Terri-Bull" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "transformers tfcc tfss 1.0 Breakdown" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Blackout Cyberverse Legends" on EBAY
Buy "TFCC funpub 2013 Transformers club membership Depthcharge Depth Charge botcon" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Reveal the Shield 'G2' Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers  Collectors Club Dion - Sealed Unopened with instructions" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers G2 Reveal the Shield Deluxe Optimus Prime MOSC" on EBAY