Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys

Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys

Saturday, June 25th, 2016 9:41am CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 57,947

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys

While they aren't universally loved, gimmicks are one of the main components of Transformers toys. The fact that they transform itself can be seen as a gimmick of the toyline as a whole and that is what distinguishes it. However, many lines within this brand have had a line-wide gimmick to set it apart from previous toys and to give a different level of playability. However, gimmicks can sometimes limit a toy instead of adding to it, like when articulation is sacrificed.
Since gimmicks have been intertwined with this line since the inception, they can mean something rather different depending on the individual. So this week, we go the extra mile and have two lists. One, written by me which focuses on gimmicks on individual toys and another, written by fellow staff member Shajaki, which focuses on broader gimmicks found through the Transformers' hisotry. Enjoy!

Gimmicks found on individual toys

5. Transformers Cybertron Crumplezone (Land Bullet): Giant Shoulder Guns activated by Cyberkey

In the Cybertron line, every toy had a gimmick where something would be activated (usually weaponry) when a plastic key was inserted into a slot. It was a decent gimmick and had some fun results throughout the line but none were as dramatic or fun as Crumplezone. Almost half the plastic on this toy is consecrated to giant shoulder mounted guns which flip out 270 degrees in robot mode. That comes with sounds of course and you can then fire missiles from them. This can also be done in vehicle mode where these cannons totally change the vehicle from being built for speed, with the cannons serving as mega boosters in the back, to a much more offensive stance with the cannons flipped towards the front.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys: On Individual Toys and in General

4. G1 Headmasters

Headmasters are awesome. At the very dawn of the Transformers brand, you had these beautiful vehicle modes with cockpits and drivers seats,due to the line being derived from Diaclone which had little figures to insert in the vehicles and dinosaurs. But the Transformers toys didn't come with little guys of their own, until Headmasters came along. You finally had a tiny robot to put in the cockpit of your spaceship or car. And here was the cool part, this little robot transformed into the head of the larger robot. And it was compatible for all other robots of the sort so you could switch out the faces of your larger robots. Also, when inserting the transformed head onto the body of the larger robot, you would trigger another gimmick below the head that showed the stats the head brought to the robot (like intelligence and speed).

Transformers G1 1987 Brainstorm Gallery

Transformers G1 1987 Chromedome Gallery

3. Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime (MP 01 Convoy): light up Matrix

Here is the best example of a non intrusive gimmick. Firstly, it was great that the ultimate G1 Optimus toy at the time had a matrix chamber with a removable Matrix of Leadership. And it could light up! It simulated that glow we had seen in the 1986 movie. It's just that perfect little bonus that just made this first Masterpiece toy even more deserving of its title.

2. Beast Machines Tankor: double light piping scanning

Lightpiping is one of the best subtle gimmicks ever added to the Transformers toys. When it is well implemented it can make a pretty big difference and it adds that extra spark. The toy with the best light piping gimmick ever though is Beast Machines Tankor (one of the earlier toys to have the gimmick). You see, in the show, he and his fellow tank drones would scan their surroundings for signs of the Maximals. It would be shown as a dot sliding across his Geordi La Forge-like visor (you can see it below in the video featuring his character's introduction). While his toy was not show accurate in deco or transformation (which I argue makes it better), it did have this very feature. Thanks to a smart mechanism, you could actually replicate his visor scanning for some lifeforms. And you could do it in both modes, which is pretty nuts because unlike other Tankor toys, this one had a different head for its vehicle mode and robot mode.

1. Transformers Beast Machines Air Attack Optimus Primal (Beast Convoy) and his arsenal of gimmicks

This guy has it all. Not only did we get a toy that finally looked like the show model (though released in the Robots in Disguise line), but it did all the things you saw on the show. Firstly, it talked and while that may not seem too cool now, this was the very first time in Transformers history that a toy was voiced by the actual voice actor. It didn't just say his name either, or some random lines. It actually said the characters main revelation and theme of the entire show: "The seeds of the future are buried in the past". It also had a jetpack that unfolded from his back and it would change its sound depending on how you were posing him. If he was posed reaching for the sky, the sound would keep revving up, but the sound would then change if you handled him flying horizontally. This showed that less power was needed for maintaining the same altitude. That is pretty fascinating and none of that was ever repeated since. Plus, he had a punching gimmick (which came with sound) and he could fire missiles from his abdomen. That's actually my favourite gimmick since even if you only have one missile, you will still hear that satisfying blaster noise whenever you press the button. So you can simulate him blasting every vehicon to kingdom come. Also, unlike any other toy with sound gimmicks, you had to first activate the gimmick's central system to then activate all the other gimmicks. Which means that if it wasn't activated, you would not be hearing the sound gimmicks go off when you didn't want to. That makes things far less annoying when transforming him, unlike ROTF Prime where you hear him say his name a dozen times whenever you transform him. In short, this guy rocks and while he is gimmick heavy, the gimmicks are fun and he is still a solid show accurate toy with a great transformation.

General Gimmicks Found Throughout the Brand

So much fun, and these two are the best I can think of.

I think I only had a couple as a kid, but modern renditions like G/L Brainstorm (and 3P takes) have been awesome and really makes me look forward to Titans Return.

The only bad part about them is instability, but newer renditions are stable and posable!

So many cassettes, so many colors, it's like trying to catch Pokemon :lol:

Device Label. So awesome. We need more things like this. For such a small line it had a lot of winners. Also, real world functionality has been around since G1 with Perceptor's working microscope.

This article was last modified on Sunday, June 26th, 2016 11:16pm CDT

Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800513)
Posted by CommanderShadowmus on June 25th, 2016 @ 9:59am CDT
Armada Sideways with his Headmaster inspired faction switching gimmick?
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800514)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 25th, 2016 @ 10:08am CDT

Other gimmicks not here that I like? Hmm, automorphing and similar things I quite like, where you move one piece and a bunch of connected pieces move into correct place. That's neat. I've never had issues with any breaking like some people have mentioned.

If C joints count as a gimmick then yeah I liked that. Also love adding extra weapons to various Transformers (or any weapons at all to those figures who have none)

I liked the sparking gimmick the old Sparkabots and Firecons had even if they were basic toys. I had one of the recent AoE Dinosparkers of Grimlock I found at charity shop but the sparks were much more contained within the figure which seemed less cool and 'dangerous' and made less sense compared to the engines of the Sparkabots or firebreath of the Firecons

EDIT: weird... some of my words have become links without meaning too. Is everyone else seeing that or is my browser infected with something?
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800515)
Posted by TK415 on June 25th, 2016 @ 10:10am CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800518)
Posted by TK415 on June 25th, 2016 @ 10:19am CDT
Carnivius_Prime wrote:Headmasters fine (cos I liked having little pilots/drives for Transformers, one of the main reasons I enjoyed the Human Alliance toys) but none of the others here appealed to me. I actually hate light-piped eyes as they only look good if the figure is positioned in correct lighting (which is rare) otherwise they just make the figure look lifeless. I tend to open up the heads of mine and paint the eyes a solid colour so it's much more consistent.

Hey man, I wrote my reply before I saw yours. I didn't mean to outright disagree with you. I agree that you have to find just the right angle to get the light piping to work. When it does glow the glowing eyes are awesome. Fortunately, he non-painted eyes don't bother me much. So I totally respect your opinion.

Carnivius_Prime wrote: Also there are some minor gimmicks I like where particular figures are designed to interact in some way with each other but not necessarily needed to. Like how RotF Skystalker can fit his drone mode on top of Mindwipe (and I've liked the fan-configs of Skystalker becoming extra armour for Mindwipe's robot form too). Neither figure is hampered in it's overall design by doing so (unlike so many Combiners over the years) and you're not feeling forced to purchase both but if you choose to then you got that nice extra play/display value. :)
Good point, I love this kind of gimmick. Very cool, adds to the value without taking away from another aspect.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800519)
Posted by Overcracker on June 25th, 2016 @ 10:20am CDT
CommanderShadowmus wrote:Armada Sideways with his Headmaster inspired faction switching gimmick?

True. I love that thing, and his headmaster gimmick. Not only did the Minicons combine to form a rider. The had robot modes of their own, and actually changed his faction depending on who was plugged in.

Another gimmick I like that sadly did not produce the results it should have, but was a great try, was Armada Optimus Prime's self transforming trailer.

It was a novel idea, that sadly did not really work out.

Trailer to Base to Pants. Responding to the transformation of the cab via IR.

As to the list: Crumplezone was o.k. The Primal Botcon repaint used the mold much better.

Man I've been trying to get my hands on a Air Attack Optimus, hey even a Year of the monkey Primal would work.

Are there even that many?
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800524)
Posted by Flashwave on June 25th, 2016 @ 10:53am CDT
Overcracker wrote:

It was a novel idea, that sadly did not really work out.

Trailer to Base to Pants. Responding to the transformation of the cab via IR.

Are there even that many?
Big Convoys did not light up though.

I would like to see Hasbro try the transforming trailer thing again someday. Tech's caught up. You need more robust gearing though, but it can be done

I still wish someone had done a transforming armor trailer for C5W prime though. Ah well
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800527)
Posted by Railbomb on June 25th, 2016 @ 11:00am CDT
Overcracker wrote:As to the Matrix, Big Convoy had done it about 4 years earlier. And is still one of the nicer Matrices out there. Which does bring up an idea for a list: "Top 5 best removable Matrices".
Are there even that many?

Well, there's Big Convoy, Reissue G1 Optimus, Cybertron Optimus, Hybrid style Convoy and Galaxy Convoy, MP-01, MP-09, MP-10, Movie Battle Blades Optimus, DotM Optimus, and... I think that's it for the removable ones, unless you count that Arms Micron one that sits on the back of Prime Prime (that sounds funny...). There'd be a few more if you count molded ones.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800530)
Posted by OptimalOptimus2 on June 25th, 2016 @ 11:20am CDT
IMO, one of the best Transformers gimmicks out there is combining. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7 Transformers combining into a bigger Transformer is cool to me.
ImageOh my! :shock:
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800534)
Posted by MGrotusque on June 25th, 2016 @ 11:33am CDT
Combining is definitely my favorite gimmick. I'm also a fan of lights and sounds G1 Shockwave style although that particular gimmick is hated by many.
For example I'm really stoked on CW Cerebros especially in bot mode. When that little LED lights up in his chest and fades back to black after he says "Cerebros" in tat super robotic tone really tickles my fancy. lol. Can't wait to get a hold of that fig.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800540)
Posted by Evil Eye on June 25th, 2016 @ 12:08pm CDT
Nice list! As usual, of course, I have a few of my own to suggest.

G1 Piranacon's Scramble-City Targetmaster gimmick. The ability to not only configure Piranacon however you like but also to have whoever is left over form a gun makes him (IMO) the most fun of all the G1 combiners...not that I actually own any other G1 combiners...ahem.

If it counts, RID Megatron's 10 modes. Sure, a few of them are...questionable, but the fact that the figure has so many alt modes (more if you get creative with fanmoding) and still remains an incredible action figure in robot mode is awesome.

Sideways and his headmaster/faction switching gimmick are cool, though I wish he was a better toy overall.

Armada Unicron full stop. All those compartments and Mini-con ports...Armada Megatron comes in a close second in that regard, only held back by his brickishness (which isn't technically the gimmickry's fault, as people have managed to mod him to have better legs with relative ease).

DotM Shockwave's Mechtech weapon. Mechtech is one of the less liked gimmicks out there, which I can understand (though I'm always fond of 5mm weapon goodness) but there's no denying Shockwave did it right. The gun looks cohesive with the figure, both modes look good and it actually locks into place. Plus, switching back and forth is just fun. Click clickity click...

And finally, any figure with 5mm weapons/ports. If space and money weren't an issue I'd be tempted to buy a bunch of old G1 figures and give their weapons to other toys- a lot of those gun sculpts were really great.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800544)
Posted by Emerje on June 25th, 2016 @ 12:26pm CDT

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800548)
Posted by SureShot18 on June 25th, 2016 @ 12:41pm CDT
Railbomb wrote:
Are there even that many?

Doesn't the new MP Hot Rod have a removable Matrix?
Anyway, that was a nice list and a timely one at that. Out of those five gimmicks I think I like Tankor's light-piping and Prime's Matrix the best.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800551)
Posted by william-james88 on June 25th, 2016 @ 1:01pm CDT
Emerje wrote:Yeah, I'm really surprised combining isn't number one on the list. It's the one gimmick (next to transforming) that we've had pretty consistently since 1985 in every major series of the franchise. G1, G2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RID 2001, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Prime, RID 2015, and the movie lines have all included on some level the combining of two or more figures together.

Emerje

Its not on the list because combining cant be focused on just one toy or even just one line. Same with 5 mm weapons and a big robot over a smaller robot. I really wanted to go with the more gimmicky stuff that come when purchasing one toy. And the whole idea of combiners is that its not just one toy anyway, which is what I was focusing on. Its very broad and I would have to pick the best in the eras and that will be for another list :)

TK415 wrote:Light piping is the very best gimmick ever. Subtle, nonintrusive, and really adds a lot to the toys. Cyber keys were fun. They were often a neat extra mini-transformation. Always nice to get a good Matrix of Leadership, cool when it glows. I didn’t know about 1 and 2, very nice and cool and unique elements. Interesting list, thanks for the info WJ.

Thanks man! It really brightens up my day when I read that my list helped someone know a thing or two more about this great hobby of ours.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800552)
Posted by william-james88 on June 25th, 2016 @ 1:27pm CDT
Delta Magnus wrote:Soundwave and Blaster's cassette gimmicks, specifically the G1/MP versions. I really want to get an MP Soundwave some day.

Thanks for your list, they add so much to this discussion on gimmicks :)

I too wanted to get an MP Soudnwave but all the prices were high, especially if I wanted all the casettes in one swoop. So what I did to experience the toy is get the YOTG version. It comes with absolutely everything and cheaper than any version before. While the butterscotch colour is odd, the clear plastic isnt brittle at all and its a really cool effect.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Transformers-Has ... SwT4lWSIbH
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800556)
Posted by Emerje on June 25th, 2016 @ 1:49pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

Emerje

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800559)
Posted by Overcracker on June 25th, 2016 @ 1:58pm CDT
SureShot18 wrote:Doesn't the new MP Hot Rod have a removable Matrix?

Nope. He can store MP-10s matrix in his chest, but he does not come with one of his own.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800562)
Posted by SureShot18 on June 25th, 2016 @ 2:09pm CDT
Overcracker wrote:
SureShot18 wrote:Doesn't the new MP Hot Rod have a removable Matrix?

Ah, ok. I knew about the space in his chest but I wasn't sure if he came with a Matrix. So technically he does not count.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800564)
Posted by Overcracker on June 25th, 2016 @ 2:16pm CDT
Not really. if we are talking about the Matrices themselves. Top 5 best removable matrices would require the figure to actually have one. since he uses the one from MP-10 that would be considered with MP-10.

Otherwise I guess we could be talking about the "Top 5 best transformers that can accommodate a Matrix in them even if they don't come with one". And that's not really a good top 5 list title. A little long don't you think. :-D #-o :P
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800568)
Posted by william-james88 on June 25th, 2016 @ 2:30pm CDT
Emerje wrote:How is combining any different than Headmasters? That too isn't tied to a single figure since the head and body are two different characters, and examples can be found across multiple series whether it's Overload and Sideways in Armada, Brainstorm in Generations, Scorponok at BotCon, Titan Masters in Titans Return, or Brave Maximus in Car Robots/RID. It's all the same gimmick, even though sometimes given different names just as combining is.

Emerje

Its very different.

In headmasters the gimmick is relegated to that very figure. You dont need to buy anything else to make use of the gimick.

And I precised the G1 headmasters, which all offered the exact same gimick of getting that tech readout. And I find all the G1 headmasters pictured in the list to be as good one to the next.

Combiners were different. You cant activate the gimick with only one toy and there were some in different lines which all vary differently in how they combine. Some can be switched out, some cannot. And unlike those G1 headmasters, because the combiners have such variation, not all are as good.

I found it easier to just stick with precised gimicks that could be relegated to just one figure.

I find combining a different topic all on its own but we dont have to agree.
Re: Top 5 Best Gimmicks on Transformers Toys (1800581)
Posted by Fires_Of_Inferno on June 25th, 2016 @ 4:01pm CDT
Do shoulder missile launchers count? I always liked those on my G1 toys. I don't know why, but to me all the coolest characters in the cartoon had missile launchers/cannons on one of their shoulders. Mirage, Hound, Sideswipe, Soundwave, Wheeljack, Trailbreaker being my favorite. The guys with two guns on their shoulders never looked right to me for some reason. I think it's because I dig the asymmetry.

If they don't count, then I'd say that mobile battle stations (Ironhide, Ratchet, Optimus Prime, Clench) would be it. My number one is Head/Target/Powermasters, and Mini-Cons/Cassette spies. I like the idea of giant robots having smaller partners.

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "HOTLINK Transformers War for Cybertron Trilogy Siege Netflix Hasbro 2020 New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Earthrise Leader Sky Lynx" on EBAY
Buy "Takara TOMY Transformers Legends LG 53 Broadside no box" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Leader Class Titans Return Decepticon Overlord Action Figure toyNEW" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Prime Wars Trilogy Dastard & Repugnus Titans Return Amazon" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS: Octone Titans Return Voyager Class Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS: Blitzwing Titans Return Voyager Class Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Leader Class Six Shot & Revolver MISB" on EBAY