Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys

Saturday, July 27th, 2019 10:46PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 22,428

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Non Screen/Show Accurate Transformers Toys

The idea of owning a part of what you are a fan of is integral to the idea of collecting action figures. And of course, it is important for the object representing what we love to be as faithful as possible. I do remember being disappointed as a kid with the mutant heads on Beast Wars toys so much that I would remove them on Megatron and Dinobot, so even for kids accuracy to a show or movie can be important. However, there are some toys which are still pretty awesome even though they may have major inaccuracies and we will look at the best examples now.

5. Transformers Beast Wars Metals Tigerhawk (Tigerfalcon)

There was very little discrepancy between show models and toys for Beast Wars after the first season, which was great for kids. Tigerhawk was a glaring exception though. It’s not that the differences are numerous but more that they are very obvious and in your face. With this character being a combination of Tigertron and Airrazor, I understand the toy designers wanting to integrate both the alt mode heads in the alt mode, with a hawk battle mask going over the organic tiger head making Tigerhawk look a lot like one of those He Man battle cat toys. That was probably too goofy for the show, which ignored this and gave Tigerhawk a more streamlined look of a flying mechanical tiger with no Hawk head. It definitely makes the toy look way off compared to the show model, but it doesn’t stop the toy from being awesome and having excellent play value. I really like those wing missiles.

4. Transformers Beast Machines Tankor

Beast Machines will always be one of the oddest eras of Transformers with a show that people are still split on, on show transformations that were closer to morphing than changing parts, and a toyline that looked very different from the show with no sense of scale. Case in point, the toy which looks the most like the Tankor we see on the show is a small unimposing tank drone. We do have a bigger Tankor toy (called Tankor) in the toyline and while it does not look like the show it is one of my favourite toys. Especially with being even more complex than the animation shows him to be by having one head/cockpit for each of his modes.

3. Transformers Beast Wars Tripredacus (Tripledacus) Gallery

I only realized waaaay later that the three combining components of Tripredicus were supposed to be the three characters we see on the show. It’s not obvious (especially for a kid) since the three seen in shadows would not have beast modes, and the headsculpts don’t look like the three toys we did get. Plus, it’s not like the Magnaboss components were seen on the show (as part of any Maximal government). It doesn’t stop Tripredicus from being one of the best combiners we ever got of course.

2. Transformers (2007) Optimus Prime

In the later half of the 2000s, here was a big change in Transformers toys where the animated models were created independently of the toys (and have been ever since). Of course, toy designers could get a look at what the artists were working on but since a toy cycle is 2 years, there was a lot of changes from when a toy designer gets a model and what we see in the film. Add to that the fact that toy designers had never dealt with such complex designs as the live action ones and we ended up with an odd first batch of movie toys looking very different than what we saw onscreen. A great example was Optimus Prime, whose toy was much blockier than the onsceen model. But it was still a phenomenal toy with a very different transfomation scheme for Optimus, where the legs are in the front of the cab and not the back, and a new level of complexity we had not been privy to before. Plus, it being blocky made this toy a perfect hybrid easing us in on both the new types of transformations schemes and the new movie aesthetic.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys

1. Transformers G1 1985 Jetfire (Skyfire)

While Hasbro had obtained the license to sell a Macross toy as part of their Transformers line, the show had to change the look of the toy, especially in alt mode. So what you see on the show is very different than the sleek sexy jet we got with the toy. I don’t think too many kids minded though, especially since the toy looked so awesome. And we all know Jetfire is easily one of the best toys of the G1 era.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys

Honourable Mentions: Transformers Masterpiece Starscream (MP-03)

I am not a huge fan of this toy but I can't deny how lovely the jet mode is. Of course, the perfection of the jet mode means the robot mode ends up with a lot of kibble and not looking as close to the G1 model as the previous Masterpiece mold, Optimus Prime, did. And of course, the colours were completely off.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032032)
Posted by TulioDude on July 27th, 2019 @ 11:25pm CDT
Nice list! :APPLAUSE:

The only thing that I would disagree,is that Tigerhwak is a show accurate toy,in robot mode.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032042)
Posted by Randomhero on July 28th, 2019 @ 12:28am CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032063)
Posted by william-james88 on July 28th, 2019 @ 6:01am CDT
Randomhero wrote:I don’t know I mean can you get less accurate with toy black arachnia and cartoon black arachnia? At least with the ones listed you know who they are. With just looking at her toy I dont think you can identify her as black arachnia

But is thst toy better than any of these? It just being a redeco makes it pretty weak to me.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032068)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 28th, 2019 @ 7:49am CDT
Great list as always Will, though I personally think that the Deluxe version of Animated Megatron from the Battle Begins set is extremely fun to play with while not being screen accurate at all, especially in alt mode
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032071)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 28th, 2019 @ 8:05am CDT
BM Tankor is pretty damn awesome. And one thing that is really impressive, is it's full of gimmicks, but none hinder the bot!

That 2007 Leader Optimus? Not screen accurate at all, yes. But man, is it a fun toy to handle. I have the "premium" version and I'll never get rid of it.

G1 Jetfire. Truly a toy that was ahead of it's time. Complex transformation, sleek modes, and lots of options. This was a MASTERPIECE before masterpieces were a thing. No wonder every single Maccross toys of this scale that came after were 200$ or 400$ collector items. When handling G1 Jetfire, I have the impression of handling a product meant for adult collectors.

-----

MP-03 being a very great honorable mention, let me add a few of my own:

2007 voyager Starscream
The overall bot take the general idea of Bay Screamer's design. But everything is off. Especially the head and the big gimmicky hands. But I always ADORED this mold simply because it's so fun to transform and the bot do look burly and powerful. I especially like the Pink HD-DVD version.

All the other G1s that were radically changed in the show:

Megatron, Ironhide/Ratchet, Reflector... All those toys I own and enjoy greatly. I love the naiveté of their design and how "vintage" and "classic" they look. I would have liked Reflector to be like the toy in the show. But they had to make army troopers so original clones make sense.

Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032072)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 28th, 2019 @ 8:06am CDT
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:From what I hear Greenscream is annoyingly brittle

I LOVE that mold but yeah. There's key points were you must be very, very careful. Especially in the tail wings and some tabs.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032077)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on July 28th, 2019 @ 8:49am CDT
Yeah that write up about 2007 Leader Prime is spot on. It's a fun toy completely eclipsed by the RotF Leader for screen accuracy but good chunky fun by itself. For a while I had the Nightwatch deco version I found in a charity shop and had it posed next to my then Buster Prime as a sort of Ultra Magnus-like character with how similar yet still very different looks the RotF and 2007 molds had.

And yeah for me Jetfire is easily the best G1 toy by far. Nothing else touched it for coolness in both modes, transformation, articulation, size all in one package. For me the G1 line just declined steadily after his release. He was the peak. And I've never liked the boxy Skyfire look Hasbro were forced to use for later toys and the toon/comics cos of the Macross license.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032079)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 28th, 2019 @ 9:06am CDT
Just imagine what'd happen if Bandai and Takara merged ;) then at least Japan would see the G1 Jetfire (and for the first time too) oh and countless anime transformers crossovers.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032121)
Posted by TK415 on July 28th, 2019 @ 11:22am CDT
Cool list. Thanks
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032122)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 28th, 2019 @ 11:22am CDT
I fully agree on that 2007 Optimus Prime mold. It's not overly accurate, but close, and it is an incredible toy. It is the best movie Optimus Prime toy I own, and the absolute #1 of my collection.

I would sort of disagree with Tigerhawk, because that toy minus the falcon mask is pretty dang accurate. I don't think that one piece should qualify it for this list, but I love Tigerhawk in all his forms, so i can't argue too much.

Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032130)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 28th, 2019 @ 11:42am CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Can I go out on a limb and say all of the Beast Hunters line? Especially Sharkticon Megatron? That was a fantastic period in Transformers

Dunno if that line count because that particular "story line" was never in the show to begin with. However, that Sharkticon Megatron is pretty awesome.

I could count the "Legion enhanced" Predaking. The one who is more "ultra sized" than voyager. That Predaking is not show accurate, but it's the BEST Prime Predaking toy.

Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032132)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 28th, 2019 @ 11:47am CDT
I always wanted that upscaled predaking, also a shame many of the predacons never made it into the cartoon
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032144)
Posted by Black Hat on July 28th, 2019 @ 12:40pm CDT
Wonderful list as always Willy J!

G1 Astrotain IMO looks much nicer than his cartoon counterpart, and the same with the Combaticons (and most of the combiners really). That's kinda cheating though, as the cartoon models were loosely based off of them.

I'll definitely agree with 2007 Prime. He just looks really nice, a big blocky chunky heroic Prime suitable for anyone.

I'd also nominate CW Dragstrip, who aside from his altmode is a step up from his cartoon model in every way. Good colour breakup, better proportions, interesting detailing, nice secondary colours...

And finally I might be tempted to suggest the JP versions of the Animated line. Accurate? Not at all. But those lovely metallic paintjobs, homina homina!
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032173)
Posted by RK_Striker_JK_5 on July 28th, 2019 @ 4:05pm CDT
BM Tankor is a great toy. A ton of play value packed into him, and one of the coolest light-piping gimmicks ever! That single-Cylon eye sweeping back and forth, so cool!

And yeah, 2007-movie Optimus is a fun toy. Really big and chunky and imposing.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032196)
Posted by bacem on July 28th, 2019 @ 6:42pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032199)
Posted by Optimum Supreme on July 28th, 2019 @ 6:54pm CDT
G1 Jetfire was a great toy, not just for its time, but for all time, and now, decades later, we get a new one based on the "Skyfire" model sheets, too. Life is good.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032201)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on July 28th, 2019 @ 6:58pm CDT
bacem wrote:I never bothered getting 2007 optimus mold. But going by everyone her agreeing on his point, maybe i'll give it a go.

Do it. It's easy to get for cheap.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032335)
Posted by RacerCheetor on July 29th, 2019 @ 10:54am CDT
As far as is known, the figure of Tripredacus came out first before the Tripredacus Council of the TV series appears, the change of appearance is already a Mainframe issue, although according to TFWiki: both Tripredacus are different characters... until they appeared in the BotCon 2016 deferring that. #-o

1.jpg

2.jpg

D-Maximal_Primal wrote:I would sort of disagree with Tigerhawk, because that toy minus the falcon mask is pretty dang accurate. I don't think that one piece should qualify it for this list

IDEM

You stole the words from my mouth. :-P
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032371)
Posted by william-james88 on July 29th, 2019 @ 12:43pm CDT
RacerCheetor wrote:

IDEM

You stole the words from my mouth. :-P

For your lists sure, but this is mine and Tigerhawk fits perfectly. As I stated, it is not the extent of how different the toy is but how right front and centre that one big difference is. It's so close that it becomes more frustrating that other cases and thus on those grounds I find it a perfect fit.

Also, the falcon mask is not then only aspect. The tiger head on the show is far more robotic/mechanical. It is more angular and the eyes are clearly inorganic. It differs to the toy which went for a very organic lion head. So all that inancuracy is all in that same central area of the figure in beast mode and still prediminant in robot mode.
Re: Top 5 Best Non Screen Accurate Transformers Toys (2032399)
Posted by YRQRM0 on July 29th, 2019 @ 2:43pm CDT
The love that is coming around for 2007 Prime is very surprising, I remember in 2009 when the ROTF version came and we were all so thankful for the improvement lol.

Also, totally agree on that 2007 seeker mold, it's still one of my favorites even though it misses a lot.

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Wheeljack" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #228 - Afterthoughts
"Afterthoughts"
Posted: Monday, August 12th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Hero Mashers Autobot Drift Figure. Hasbro. Shipping Included" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage 1984 G1 Transformers Autobot  WHEELIE  Nice Condition  Complete" on EBAY
Buy "1985 Hasbro Takara Transformers Original G1 Mixmaster Constructicon Devastator" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Advanced AD-11 DISPENSOR Takara MISB New Rare!" on EBAY
Buy "(P) TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON WFC DELUXE AUTOBOT MIRAGE" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Junkheap Battle Axe WEAPON ONLY" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATIONS~WAR FOR CYBERTRON~VOYAGER DECEPTICON MEGATRON~BRAND NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age Of Extinction AD26 Lockdown" on EBAY