Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys

Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys

Saturday, April 30th, 2016 7:06am CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 80,811

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Seeker Molds

The seekers have always been the best example of Takara and Hasbro maximizing profits while keeping the bottom line down. To sell identical jet toys painted in different patterns, they simply incorporated that in the fiction, making them different characters. These would be the ideal characters to keep bringing back since you could always score several characters while not having to make new original molds for each one and no one would mind. It would instead be anticipated and wanted. This practice has given us a lot of seeker molds throughout the years, there is a new one in practically each line, especially in the past 15 years. And now we look at the best examples of seeker molds. Before we begin, just so we are all on the same page, a seeker mold is defined by ONE big important rule: two or more characters which share the exact same flight themed mold/character, kind of like a clone concept where they just wear different coloured shirts to identify them. It is not always used for Starscream and his fellow seeker acolytes but those are usually more exceptions to confirm the rule and it doesn't need to have all come out at the same time either (now that's really maximizing profits). The intention is that they have the same look. Since we are now accustomed to get a seeker mold in every line, originality and style goes a long way on this list, as you can see with the first entry...

5. Transformers Prime: Robots In Disguise Dreadwing and Skyquake

Believe it or not, but within the Transformers Prime show (not the Aligned continuity proper, if that is even a thing), the true seeker mold shown is actually shared by Dreadwing and Skyquake. These two are brothers which share the very same jet mode in different colors, which is the actual definition of seekers. While Starscream's awesome mold was redeco'd multiple times in the toys, they never appeared on the show, making Dreadwing and Skyquake Prime's true seekers. And they don't disappoint. I totally get behind the negative points to this toy (I will now refer to this mold as a singular entity) like the heavy robot kibble underneath, the exposed hands in the back ala ROTF Starscream, and the weapon it comes with (but that's a negative with almost all the Powerizer toys). BUT style can go a looooooooong way and this guy has boatloads of it. Firstly, it is an impressive and imposing robot mode which is perfectly show accurate. The legs may be big under the jet but they fill it out and add a lot of weight and volume to the robot mode along with the broad shoulders. While the light-up weapon is forgettable, the sword is great and you can pull off some great poses showcasing the great and noble swordsman Dreadwing is. Also, the transformation is both refreshingly involved for a seeker and yet intuitive at the same time. The torso transformation is far more intricate than even the Masterpiece seeker mold and unlike every other toy on this list, it actually hides the nosecone completely in robot mode, without it becoming extra kibble, and leaving a nice tapered look to the cockpit as the chest. Also, that headsculpt is amazing and probably my favourite headsculpt ever found on a seeker.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys
Thanks to James Jackson for this fun picture

4. Masterpiece Seeker mold 2.0 MP 11

I was not a fan of the first attempt at a Masterpiece Starscream. The aim for a perfect jet mode really sacrificed a lot and made the robot mode quite goofy (no proper heels, weird jet kibble on both sides of his face and insane kibble hanging off his hips). I also disliked the chest transformation which was overly fiddly. My toy ended up breaking and it soured me over the idea of an MP Starscream. So hearing that the new one was just a retool of the old did not make me bounce up and down for joy. However, I evetually did get a taste of this new and improved mold and it was definitely a step in the right direction. The fiddly and awkward chest transformation is still there, with the odd design choice of the cockpit tapering the opposite way than in the cartoon, but it is still a great improvement to the cartoon likeness in general. He has heels now too and no extraneous kibble aside from the nosecone forming a backpack of sorts. He retains that wonderful articulation and that amazing jet mode and in general the transformation is extremely satisfying (especially the leg area). My only issue is that your mileage with this mold will really vary depending on which version you get and for what price. I wouldn't pay 200$ for what is essentially 10 year old engineering (beautifully refurbished though). However, many people have had the chance to get some at only 10-20$ more than the Generations Leader Seeker mold, which is an amazing value when looking at it that way, especially if the chest is solid and stays in place in robot mode.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys

3. Prime First Edition Starscream mold

This is one of the best seeker molds of all time. The design choice to have the robot mode be so slim and sleek makes him look creepier than any version of Starscream before. I am so impressed with how they were able to pull off a robot mode as skeletal as the one depicted onscreen and yet still have him perfectly transform into a tight and smooth jet mode where no robot limb protrudes, as is often the case with jets.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys

2. Classics Seeker mold

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys

The deluxe Classics seeker mold, which kept being used from 2006 up until 2015, is perfectly show accurate even when looking at the jet from below. It is a highly detailed figure with a shockingly pleasing jet mode and a simple transformation that is remeniscent of the G1 show. My only pet peeve with this mold is that it carries over the G1 problem of the nose cone becoming kibble in the back of the head. That makes the conehead seeker retools a bit less flawed.

1. Galaxy Force Seeker mold (voyager)

It only makes sense that the very best seeker mold also happens to be the best Cybertronian design out there. The alt mode alone is full of homages to both the cybertronian tetra-jet of G1 (from the first episode) and Don Figueroa's design for Generation 1 Starscream in Dreamwave's The War Within. There is no point in including the Titanium seeker mold on this list (or the FOC seekers) when you have this bad boy which is better in every way when it comes to cybertronian design. It even has the best and least obtrusive cyberkey gimmick of the line which gives him energon swords which always flip out unobstructed. What I love so much about this mold, and many others in the Cybertron/Galaxy Force line, is how both the vehicle and robot mode share the same body and components and yet both modes are unique from one another. Unlike other seeker molds, like the Dreadwing mold above, the alt mode is not a robot under a jet, the jet IS the robot and vice versa (like the FOC mold done right). While the very first version of this Starscream mold obtained in the US was the oversized version, with Takara releasing the mold at its intentional voyager size, Hasbro saw the potential of the original voyager version and used it for a Thrust coloured Starscream release as well as Dirge, making it a rightful seeker mold.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys

Honourable mentions: The G1 seekers are fun, though the excessive parts forming feels very dated. I also really like the ROTF Dirge mold which was used for Jetblade as well, but I dont know if you would count that as a seeker mold (you decide). I didn't include any of the movie Starscream toys on this list since the only one that is amazing was Leader Starscream from HFTD and he was never made as any other seeker, unlike what was done with the other classes. And I am fine with that since Starscream was the sole seeker in the films.

Also, while they are very frustrating to transform and handle, I love the style of the Alternity seeker mold. The alternators line lost some steam in the US and when Japan came up with the follow up line featuring a 1:32 scale (rather than 1:24), Hasbro didnt pick it up. That is too bad because it had some very cool ideas, like having the seekers be cars with the car's shell forming the robot wings. Like that they keep their distinctive seeker motif while also having an alt mode that strays from tradition (which would still scale with the rest of the line). It's also interesting how Thundercracker and Skywarp were given a more traditional seeker headsculpt while Starscream's featured insect-like eyes. Oh, and they also feature die cast parts, rubber tires and style money can't buy.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys

And one last mention. For the size class, I am far more impressed with the Animated Activator seekers than the Generations Legends seekers. Even though the Activators are similarly small toys and older than that Generations mold, they have far better articulation. I would even say the Activators are better seeker toys than the Animated Voyager Seeker toy.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys
Transformers Animated Skywarp Gallery

Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785578)
Posted by Burn on April 30th, 2016 @ 7:15am CDT
Honourable mentions should be CW Leader Class and CW Legends Class. Legends class are fun little figures, easy to transform, look great in both modes and pose well. Leader class, well they just look damn good!
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785596)
Posted by Ironhidensh on April 30th, 2016 @ 10:27am CDT
I'd only make two changes to this list. I'd move the MP-11 mold to #1, and I'd replace Prime Starscream with The Animated Voyager mold.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785598)
Posted by Ironhidensh on April 30th, 2016 @ 10:29am CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785599)
Posted by SureShot18 on April 30th, 2016 @ 10:32am CDT
Surprised and glad to see the Prime twins on the list. I have Dreadwing and I really like him and I want to try and get Skyquake at some point.
I've never been the biggest fan of the classics seeker especially on the non cone heads but I can see why you included them.

These kind of lists will always be the ones that are most opinionated I think, based on how we think the seekers should be designed.
If I made a list it would certainly include the Generations Armada seeker mold.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785606)
Posted by carytheone on April 30th, 2016 @ 10:53am CDT
Good list. I'm a recent convert to the awesomeness of the classics mold and I'm still seeking a reasonably priced Prime Dreadwing or his mean green bro.

I've got the newest re-release of MP SS, and that's one sexy jet with a nice looking bot mode to boot.

I always forget about the PRID FE Screamer; awesome fig and probably my favorite version of the character. The long slender design really fits his cowardly scheming ways. It's really amazing how well they pulled it off in plastic.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785608)
Posted by Noideaforaname on April 30th, 2016 @ 11:03am CDT
"Among Transformers Toys" is a curious caveat.

I rather like the Movie Dreadwing mold. Not sure if that counts or not, but it did get a few lovely non-traditional repaints.

Man, everybody gives these two 3rd party weapons I'd forgotten what their originals looked like.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785610)
Posted by joevill on April 30th, 2016 @ 11:06am CDT
Sure these are fun, fancy, and updated but the G1 seeker mold is my favorite of all time.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785613)
Posted by Gauntlet101010 on April 30th, 2016 @ 11:27am CDT
I don't think the Classics Seeker mould will ever be replaced in my collection.

I mean, never is a long time, but I really love the alt. mode and there are *so many variations*! I have a real force with my Classic Seekers and I'm not sure any other mould can say the same.

Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785615)
Posted by william-james88 on April 30th, 2016 @ 11:37am CDT
SureShot18 wrote:If I made a list it would certainly include the Generations Armada seeker mold.

You are more than welcome to write your list here and share it with us :D

carytheone wrote:I'm going toss out the unpopular statement that I really like the FoC seeker mold, but that's just my preference.

I think its my opinion that is the less popular one between us two since many like the FOC Seeker mold. I just find it a bit redundant and I dont like the plastic used on it in the least.

Noideaforaname wrote:"Among Transformers Toys" is a curious caveat.

It limits it to molds that are within the Transformers brand.

Burn wrote:Legends class are fun little figures, easy to transform, look great in both modes and pose well.

I dont think they pose well. I mentionned them in the honourable mentions but in comparison to the Animated Activators. Unlike them, they dont move their heads and have no thigh swivel. That takes away a lot of opportunities for dynamic poses since they can only pose being straight and looking dead ahead. Frankly, I am a bit baffled that a toy that came out a few years later thats the same price range could be so inferior that way. As for the leader Seeker, I actually once had it tied somewhere on the list. I do like that mold, but I realize I like it better at Jetfire. Especially since Jetfire had that added colour in the back of the wings so it could be highlighted in robot mode. The Seekers dont have that and feel more opportunistic, especially with those alt mode gun holes still there. Thats just my opinion though.

Ironhidensh wrote:Also, I want to say reading this list reminded me how much I freaking love the Galaxy Force Starscream. He was the first non Binaltech/masterpiece Takara figure I ever imported.

That means a lot man, thanks ;)^ These lists are fun to look back on all the awesome stuff we got over the years and writing them gives me an opportunity to reignite my love for all these wonderful toys.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785617)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on April 30th, 2016 @ 11:47am CDT
That Prime Dreadwing looks decent but I dislike the spindly Prime seekers and find the Galaxy Force ones just far too blocky. I'm not a big Seeker fan at all really mainly cos I have huge dislike of Transformers with winged vehicle altmodes who barely attempt to hide the wings in robot mode. Just far too kibbly for my tastes (one of the main reasons I like movie Starscream is cos the wings do fold into the overall bot shape and I still really need to get me a Leader Starscream but I'm always outbid)

The classics Seeker mode is still the overall best for the G1 collector though I think for size and price.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785618)
Posted by william-james88 on April 30th, 2016 @ 11:47am CDT
Gauntlet101010 wrote:I'm not sure Dreadwing and Skyquake count. Yeah, in the show they were recolors ... but it seems like a cheat.

I will show you what I used as reference.

They are officially labeled as such by Hasbro and all accompanying media. Here is his wiki description:
Dreadwing, a split-Spark twin of Skyquake, was the captain of an army of Seekers, and is an expert in explosives. Like Skyquake, Dreadwing is intensely loyal to Megatron, though his loyalty to his twin may be stronger. However, unlike his brother, Dreadwing is better at keeping his temper in check, most of the time.

And here is Ben Yee's blurb on this new mold:
Dreadwing is officially a "Seeker", an aerial warrior much like Starscream. The term goes back to the days of Generation One where jets such as Thundercracker, Starscream and Dirge were called "Seekers" (a semi-official term that fans used heavily, and then became more official in recent years). Generally this referred to Transformers with a similar body structure who became aerial vehicles. In the case of Dreadwing, he does have some elements that align with other aerial "Seeker" Transformers including the jet cockpit making up a significant portion of his torso, and wings hanging off his back.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785619)
Posted by Evil Eye on April 30th, 2016 @ 11:49am CDT
Excellent list as usual!

Not gonna lie, if there was a Thundercracker and Skywarp redeco for the mold, and the arm articulation didn't suck, I'd totally have the Cybertron Voyager mold for my Seeker trio. They look absolutely gorgeous- great updated Tetra-Jet mode, awesome robot mode that reminds me a fair bit of a Mobile Suit Gundam/Macross design...literally the only flaw is the gimpy arms.

I really, really wish we'd get a proper Seeker mold 2.0- it'd still have the F-15 mode and an overall G1 look about it like the old toy (IMO the G1 Seeker design is one of the few designs that's aged well, probably helped by Kawamori's involvement) but would be a small Voyager or large Deluxe and would have better articulation (so thigh and bicep swivels mainly).

For what it's worth, the original Armada Starscream, despite being a brick, is a nice looking toy and a great design. Nice jet mode, imposing robot mode and the best Starscream headsculpt ever. seriously, dat smirk.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785636)
Posted by shajaki on April 30th, 2016 @ 1:27pm CDT
This is a list near and dear to me. Though I must chastise you Will for your #5, he's not Starscream, a cronie of, or sharing his body! Also, I too love Prime SS but am super sad we never got a G1 colored version. And GF/Cyb SS was begging to be repainted umpteen times. Such a waste. Here's my list!

G1. Call it nostalgia or old man madness, but I love them. And even though its one of the few versions I don't have, this ghost version is the cream of the crop.

Classics, more specifically the Conehead, more more specifically Ramjet, more more MORE specifically TFCC G2 Ramjet. Mold wise he is less cumbersome than the back winged Seekers, and COME ON those colors! :x 8-}

Deep Space Starscream. I just like this figure. Sorry not sorry.

Botcon Machine Wars Seekers. Unpopular and seemingly un-exciting, but they are shockingly faithful to the source material. And I really appreciate that. The nicest one (IMO) is the mid-warp Skywarp. How do we not have this in a proper black/purple Skywarp? :???:

No one should really be surprised by this. Beautifully designed and truly one of a kind. He was groundbreaking at the time and I still find him as impressive as current MP's.

So people don't like this mold? News to me :lol:
What's not to like? It's almost a tetra-jet and its more posable that the Titanium and GF/Cyb molds. Sounds like a winner to me 8-)
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785641)
Posted by Ultra Markus on April 30th, 2016 @ 1:49pm CDT
i disagree with #1 the fall of cybertron seekers are way better toy design and the robot modes and jet modes are way better looking ;)
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785645)
Posted by Evil Eye on April 30th, 2016 @ 2:00pm CDT
You know, I thought of a potentially great looking Seeker trio (though it would need some Decepticon decals to cover up the odder symbols on some of them).

G1 coloured Energon Starscream as, well, Starscream...
With G2 Smokescreen as Thundercracker...
...And BWII Starscream- sorry, "Starscrem" according to those labels- as Skywarp...

Might be a tad difficult to get hold of them, but I reckon they'd look pretty great together.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785646)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 30th, 2016 @ 2:07pm CDT
I would have replace #5 with Movie voyager Seeker mold. Yes, THAT Starscream and Co. Screw movie accuracy, this is one of the most versatile mold out there, with a genius transformation and impressive looking modes. This toy is pure fun.

Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785660)
Posted by shajaki on April 30th, 2016 @ 2:42pm CDT
-Kanrabat- wrote:I would have replace #5 with Movie voyager Seeker mold. Yes, THAT Starscream and Co.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785661)
Posted by megatronus on April 30th, 2016 @ 2:45pm CDT
I would have left Dreadwing & Skyquake out - they're not seekers!

Energon Starscream is the bees knees! I think he really belongs on this list. He's just a way better design than Classics, and borrows some great engineering from that Dreadwing/Smokescreen 2-pack.

I'm also a huge fan of the Generations Armada Starscream mold. He's a little dude, but oh-so-much fun.
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785670)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 30th, 2016 @ 3:14pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Seeker Molds Among Transformers Toys (1785672)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 30th, 2016 @ 3:32pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:Makes me wish that energon starscream got repainted into the usual lot as I would of instantly bought that mold in skywarp colours. Great list as always will! Though biggest surprise for me was prime dreadwind and skyquake being there

Even though I really like how Energon Starscream look, I don't really like how the toy itself is built. Especially those arms and the huge jet tailfins sticking in front of the forelegs.

One seeker that I really like are both the FOC and Titanium ones. Both are genius designs. But I can clearly see the superiority of the Cybertron voyager version.

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "Hasbro Transformers Cyberverse Decepticon Scraplet Figure Lot of 4 New 2018" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege BRUNT War For Cybertron Deluxe Class AUTHENTIC HASBRO 2018" on EBAY
Buy "2009 Hasbro Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Decepticon Stalker Scorponok NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Thunderhowl Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Deluxe Class Hasbro 2020 BAF #8" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action Attackers 1-Step Changer SKY-BYTE Figure Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers MPM-4 Optimus Prime - Takara Movie Masterpiece" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Movie Toy/Figures Lot - Bumblebee, Jazz, and Soundwave" on EBAY
Buy "GI JOE # 142 MARVEL COMICS November 1993 SNAKE EYES TRANSFORMERS LOW PRINT RUN" on EBAY