Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time

Saturday, April 21st, 2018 1:34PM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 22,015

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are personal opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of all time

There are not many lists I have written which I won't have to edit in the coming years. It's only normal since more toys come out and new fiction is written (even for existing universes) that there are bound to be updates and new toys that come which make my list dated and in need of an update (like my Top 5 Best Grimlock toys for instance). But when I read the words "All stores CLOSING forever!" in a recent e-mail Toysrus sent out, I realized that with a list like this, it can be definite. So, in honour of this store we all once loved and which many will never be able to walk into again, I decided to look back on its amazing history if Transformers exclusive. Thanks to the multiple board members who suggested the topic, I hope you enjoy it!

5. Transformers Beast Machines Air Attack Optimus Primal (Beast Convoy)

If I was truly bias, I would probably put this at number 1. I just really like this toy and think it has so much to offer. Firstly, you finally get a show accurate Beast Machines Optimus Primal (I would even say you finally get a show accurate figure period). Of all the Transforming gorillas out there, I feel this is the one with the most changes from bot to beast. And that is quite a feat since of all animals, apes are the closest to having humanoid proportions (so many parts are reused in both modes). The chest, head, and every limbs undergoes some kinds of change. I find what they do with the arms brilliant, with the giant gorilla knuckles becoming the massive shoulder pads. Plus he has an awesome array of gimmicks. Just overall a fantastic toy.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time

4. Transformers Robots In Disguise Scourge (Black Convoy)

I did not know this was a Toysrus exclusive until doing research for this list. I was sure such an iconic character and toy (and mainly look) would have been more widespread to have garnered such an appeal. But no, Scourge was indeed only sold at Toysrus. This is easily the most iconic toy of the line, even if it is a redeco. Actually, the fact that he is encapsulates the line quite well since a big part of it was breathing new life and characters into toys we had already experienced. It was also about merging the gap between what came before the year 2000 in the Transformers brand and setting a stage for a return to vehicles along with starting a constant look at the past in terms of homages and inspirations (and also foreshadowing the fact that every single Optimus Prime mold would need a teal/red/black deco treatment from here on out).

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time

3. Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime (MP-10) (Convoy)

Calm your horses, this isn't merely based on the toy, but its status as a Toysrus exclusive. The original toy was available for a while and fans had found a way to get it with this release merely making it more available (and affordable, depending on the release and where you are located). I take major issue with the packaging too, along with the unpainted trailer. The main advantage here was not having to pay the import fee, and for a toy as cool as MP 10, he is still most deserving of this number 3 spot.

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time

2. Transformers Animated Rodimus Minor (Rodimus)

Those final Animated toys were all sublime. That refers to Arcee, Rodimus Minor, and the Cybertronian Ratchet/Ironhide mold, which I recommend all fans to experience. These all display what is great about the animated line, having these radical designs be brought to toys, with innovative transformations is hard to beat. And of those three molds, Rodimus is the one that succeeds best. I have already gushed about this toy enough and you can read more about him here and here.

1. Transformers Masterpiece Soundwave

I know I wasn't the nicest when it came to Masterpiece Prime's release (but give me a break, he made the top 3), but Soundwave was everything a fan could dream. Unlike Prime, the Hasbro release, exclusive to Toysrus, gave us some major value by having all his cassettes included with him (well the ones that were already out) rather than buying them individually. That was a saving of 80-100$ easily. Plus he came with the new collector oriented packaging, which helped you store everything perfectly with an awesome display window. It is better packaging than the Takara version which had been released the same year, meaning western fans wouldn't have to wait for a domestic release. Not only was the wait short, but they got more.

Honourable Mentions:

The Prime First Edition toys are an odd bunch since they are technically mainline toys that saw a release all over the world but were only picked up by Toysrus in the US, and then were eventually found in other places like 5 Below. So depending on one's definition for an exclusive, I kept them for the honourable mentions but I do want to highlight Prime and Bulkhead who I don't think saw a release in the US outside of Toysrus (could be wrong, this line's release is super confusing).

Transformers Prime: First Edition Bulkhead Gallery

I also really like the AOE Evolution Optimus Prime set, and the three 2016 Clash of Transformers toys we got in the RID line (though the only unique mold, Starscream, did get released later unchanged, so it doesn't really qualify as an exclusive anymore).

Transformers News: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954785)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on April 21st, 2018 @ 1:44pm CDT
Hm yeah Toys R Us didn't have much in way of exclusives for me. I tended to just buy figures from them cos they were the only place that even sold proper Transformer figures. Particularly during AoE when they were pretty the only place even selling the 'Generations' AoE figures with most other stores only selling the simplistic versions. Got my TLK figures from elsewhere though as Toys R Us here took too long to get Wave 1 in and then didn't even get Wave 2 so I bought those elsewhere too. Yeah, I miss Toys R Us for nostalgia reasons from childhood but as an adult collector they hadn't really provided much of what I wanted at all.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954789)
Posted by Mirimus on April 21st, 2018 @ 2:06pm CDT
You take issue with the TRU MP-10 packaging? Please tell me that's not because you prefer Takara's...
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954805)
Posted by westjames/notirish. on April 21st, 2018 @ 2:45pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954811)
Posted by william-james88 on April 21st, 2018 @ 2:58pm CDT
Mirimus wrote:Please tell me that's not because you prefer Takara's...

It's not :) I really like the more recent TRU exclusive packaging of MPs, like Soundwave's

westjames/notirish. wrote:You forgot RID'15 Megatronus (the masked version) was also a TRU exclusive for Clash of the Transformers.

I didnt forget. I made sure to precise the 2016 assortment of the subline, which the toy you mention was not part of.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954816)
Posted by Rated X on April 21st, 2018 @ 3:36pm CDT
Ok im just going to put this out there...

This site gives TRU way too much credit.

TRU closing is last month's news. Everytime they increase the liquidation sale % it gets front paged even though all transformers remain only 10% off. Not to mention most TRUs have been cleaned out of everything transformers except one step changers. TRU shuts down online sales, it gets front paged. Some billionaire wants to save TRU, it gets front paged. TRU rejects his offer, it gets front paged. Now TRU gets a homage "Top 5" article. TRU is becoming the Donald Trump of Transformers journalism.

Can you guys please just let TRU take its last breath and die peacefully already? :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954817)
Posted by westjames/notirish. on April 21st, 2018 @ 3:37pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:

Whoops sorry, must've missed it when I was reading over it. Say, why did you only include the 2016 assortment in your honorable mentions?
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954824)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 21st, 2018 @ 4:05pm CDT
Make me rage a bit that for most of my years as a collector, none of these exclusives made it to Quebec du to "MUH LANGUAGE LAWS". Nowadays at least, all Hasbro TF products are trilingual so unless distribution suck, everything is released here
............and will still be. Sorry, Ameribros.

As for the toys themselves, I was about to say YOTS Omega Supreme but he was either a BBTS exclusive or a shared one.

As for #1, even if I had to have it middlemanned by a fellow American Seibertronian, it was still way cheaper to get that Hasbro MP Soundwave rather than guying everything separately from Takara.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954845)
Posted by shajaki on April 21st, 2018 @ 5:00pm CDT
*cough cough*

Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954850)
Posted by ZeroWolf on April 21st, 2018 @ 5:12pm CDT
A good list will, that prime evolution set (along with the grimlock one) were the only ones I couldn't catch at toys r us sadly. I will miss the shop, but hopefully you Canadians will look after it :-) (or if it's falling get in contact with John oliver, who sent the last blockbuster store in alaska, Russell Crow's jockstrap...might help get people through the doors)
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954899)
Posted by Flashwave on April 21st, 2018 @ 7:32pm CDT
I cant jusrify him over any of the others (except maybe MP 10 on the technical7ty that MP10 is an MP.) But Universe Countdown needs to be on there, its judt too good of a reuse of the CD Red Alert mold. Otherwise, cant disagree.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954915)
Posted by Emerje on April 21st, 2018 @ 9:25pm CDT

Arcee

-Universe 2008
Darkwind

-Titans Return
Chaos on Velocitron
Arcee with Ultra Magnus
Grotusque with Scorponok (does this count since they never made it into stores, unlike Arcee?)

-The Last Knight
Infernocus

I think that's everything, not bad for a guy that had to travel some distance to get to TRU.

Of what I have I think these are my top 5:

5. Energon Optimus Prime/Megatron
4. BW Optimus Primal/Megatron
3. Universe Ramjet
2. TR Arcee
1. RID Sourge

Unless TR Grotusque counts, then make him number 2 and bump the Energon set off. I feel like there's a warehouse of Grotusques out there somewhere that didn't make it into stores like Arcee did.

Emerje
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954928)
Posted by william-james88 on April 21st, 2018 @ 9:56pm CDT
westjames/notirish. wrote:

No worries. I only included them because I think those are worthy of a mention. The others were mainly poor redecos on mostly underwhelming molds. Like these:

I much preffer the molds and decos used in the 2016 clash of transformers warriors.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1954943)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on April 21st, 2018 @ 10:17pm CDT
Had no idea scourge & primal were exclusives, kinda wish i picked them up now. But why no mention of the G1 commemorative figures, werent they TRU exclusives? They were a pretty big deal back when they fist came out and i feel like they at least deserve an honorable mention.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1955049)
Posted by Ironhidensh on April 22nd, 2018 @ 6:42am CDT
I didn't realize RiD Scourge was a TRU zexclusive. I got mine back in the day (17 fucking years ago. Jesus Christ I'm old) at the comic book Shop I used to frequent.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1955101)
Posted by Matrix_Holder on April 22nd, 2018 @ 10:49am CDT
Rated X wrote:Ok im just going to put this out there...

This site gives TRU way too much credit.

Toys r us Canada is financially sound, profitable, and still very much alive and will continue to provide exclusive figures for collectors. Just because a liquidation company bought up all of the merch and isn't selling it for the Low, low price you want it to be doesn't mean that toys r us as a whole is done. I'm not sure you are aware of this but toys r us is very important to hasbro, tru is the biggest customer for hasbro and all if it's lines and with the loss of Toya r us Usa Hasbro will take a hit on sales. That is why this tru news keeps getting front paged, with lower sales Hasbro night cut back on the lines that make the least amount of profit for them...like transformers. Transformers is pretty far down the list in terms of profitable lines, way behind their board games, my little pony, Disney princesses and nerf. If Hasbro decides to go the cut back rout it would be very bad for transformers collectors.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1955102)
Posted by YoungPrime on April 22nd, 2018 @ 10:50am CDT
That AOE Evolution Optimus Prime set was move like "Devolution", but I did luck up and grab that Chrome Classics Optimus from eBay and he's been my Shelve's display Optimus Prime ever since.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1955194)
Posted by Apocdave on April 22nd, 2018 @ 5:52pm CDT
I would like to include the best from Japan's Toys r us

1. Car Robots 2000 (RID) Clear God Fire Convoy
2. Micron Legend (Armada) Clear Magna Convoy
3. Galaxy Force (Cybertron) Clear Sonic Convoy.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1955205)
Posted by Rated X on April 22nd, 2018 @ 7:04pm CDT
Matrix_Holder wrote:
Rated X wrote:Ok im just going to put this out there...

This site gives TRU way too much credit.

I disagree with your logic. TRU is a toy store not a Transformers store. Sure Hasbro has a lot of money invested in TRU, but a lot of that money is invested in products that are not Transformers. What if Jeff Bezos decides to save TRU? Will we start seeing all kinds of Amazon news get front paged too? Will Amazons feud with Trump become front paged because it might raise toy prices? Do you see my point? Time to get back to the basics and just cover Transformers related news. Every time the CEO of TRU farts is not newsworthy.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1955222)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on April 22nd, 2018 @ 7:52pm CDT
Rated X wrote:
Matrix_Holder wrote:
Rated X wrote:Ok im just going to put this out there...

This site gives TRU way too much credit.

Amen, brother.
Re: Top 5 Best Toys R Us Transformers Exclusives of All Time (1955225)
Posted by shajaki on April 22nd, 2018 @ 7:55pm CDT
X, I was going to write out this whole thing to reply to you, but... I don't feel like troll debating.

People are greatly invested in the TRU goings on (myself included). If you're not interested, no ones forcing you to read the articles. Truth is, YOU have some sort of issue with TRU, and just want to vent that. But you know what? This isn't the place for it. Go to the TRU troubles thread. This is to talk about old TRU exclusives.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 41%
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #200 - Requiem of the Twincast
"Requiem of the Twincast"
Posted: Sunday, May 20th, 2018