Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

Transformers News: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

Saturday, June 13th, 2015 10:35AM CDT

Categories: Site Articles, Editorials, Top Lists
Posted by: william-james88   Views: 63,250

Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

As Beast Wars fan, I grew up on shellformers. Since an animal is not metallic in nature (they soon found a way around that)it always made sense to me that part of the animal couldn't integrate completely into the robot mode. I only realized later that they got a bad rap and I understand why now: it can yield to very lazy and unattractive designs. Shelformers are a sad sight when you know it's possible for the robot to have some alt mode integration or, even worse, when the character model shows alt mode integration. In that scenario, a fake piece of kibble is made to make up for the shell kibble that they couldn't bother integrating. That's DOUBLE KIBBLE!!!! Before I pull an aneurysm, let's just get to the list...

5. Transformers Dark of the Moon Voyager Sentinel Prime

The extent of how poor a shellformer this is, is entirely due to the contrast against the leader size mold of this character that actually uses the shell in a far more interesting way. For one, this toy doesn't incorporate the shell into the figure in any way. While the leader version uses the front of the firetruck as his chest, this one resorts to leaving the front of the truck to fold on it's back and relies on a fake kibble piece to make up the chest. Also, while the leader figure uses the shell of the truck to create a stylish cape or celestial garment of sorts, the voyager just has the entire truck shell just stay unfolded in it's back making it look like a robot just skinned a truck to wear it like a tortoise shell. It also makes a horrible backpack that is placed far from the figure as if neither modes want anything to do with one another.

Transformers News: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

4. Transformers Revenge of the Fallen Human Alliance Sideswipe

What did I write above again? Oh, right: Using a shell can result in a very lazy looking and unattractive design. It is made worse when the excess shell kibble results in a massive backpack, which detracts from the sleek robot. Man, Sideswipe here must be studying for all his courses tonight because look at the big backpack he needs to carry all his books!

Transformers News: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

3. Beast Wars Neo Break

While the Beast Wars Neo line took the idea of a shellformer to a whole other level, the results were usually very intriguing, and sometimes pretty bad ass, making its use of kibble endearing to the line as a whole. But Beast Wars Neo's Break is just too much to bear. While animals disguised as robots may get more of a pass over being a shellformer, due to necessity, this guy just pushes it too far. He looks like a giant kinder surprise egg that someone smash opened to find a robot inside. Without hyperbole, this is the equivalent of a G1 Pretender who's robot mode had pieces of the outer pretender shell glued all over it. That penguin head just sitting there among the debris right in the open is the icing on this terribly tasting cake.

Transformers News: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

2. Transformers Age of Extinction: Generations First Edition Optimus Prime Amazon Exclusive

You would think that by 2014, robots entirely covered by a shell and just brought to the back would be a thing of the past. But no, they were (are) still alive and well and that year even gave us one of the biggest shellformer offenders. There are even photos all over the internet showing both the robot and truck mode of First Editions AOE Optimus side by side, WHILE USING THE SAME TOY!

Transformers News: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

Transformers News: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

1. Transformers Cybertron Thunderblast (Chromia)

This is an extremely inefficient transformer whose body length shell serves as the main disguise to a robot that doesn’t pose at all. It also has barely no alt mode integration (only her feet). The joke of having a robot surprise in a shell that is usually done to poor Break above is brought to the extreme here. The shell is so big and overwhelming that she can’t stand on her own and it limits any motion she might have. If anyone cares, this mini review was quite easy as I simply used something I had written for Beast Wars Cybershark and just wrote the opposite of every positive aspect about that figure. And Thunderblast came out 10 years after that figure! I really could not think of a better toy to show how bad shellforming could be.

Transformers News: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys

Honourable mentions: I didn't want to fill this list entirely with Beast Wars Neo figures for several reasons. Firstly, as mentioned in the intro, the use of a shell for robots disguised as animals makes sense. If you went for total alt mode integration, Long Rack would look like a buffoon (more so). However, as you saw I couldn't resist but include the biggest shellformer offender that line had to offer. I would say Beast Wars Ironhide is probably the most intense shellformer ever but it works for the awesome combined form of Magnaboss and I didn't find it fair to fault him on that.

I would like to thank Cobotron for the image.
In two weeks, the BEST Shellformers. Talk to you then!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1697996)
Posted by Lockdownhunter on June 13th, 2015 @ 11:12am CDT
FE OP looks like he just enrolled in the ARMY.Such a big backpack.Or,He is so bad in academics,he needs to take daily courses and has a LOT of books.Fortunately,Armor knight OP saves the day(although he is kibbletastic)
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1697997)
Posted by Super Megatron on June 13th, 2015 @ 11:12am CDT
I would had put Big Convoy from the Beast War Neo line as #1 instead of Thunderblast. It's a robot bending down with mammoth shell parts around him. Nuff said.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698009)
Posted by RhA on June 13th, 2015 @ 12:03pm CDT
:lol: Best list ever! That Sentinel is TRAGIC.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698016)
Posted by Windsweeper on June 13th, 2015 @ 12:33pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698017)
Posted by william-james88 on June 13th, 2015 @ 12:45pm CDT
Windsweeper wrote:I like shell formers. I'll take one any day over an overly complicated mess like rotf Mixmaster.

Dont you worry, ROTF Mixmaster will get his day on these lists too ;) And I like shellformers too, hence why next week will show the best of their kind.

And as for BWN Big Convoy, we will be seeing him very soon.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698020)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on June 13th, 2015 @ 12:57pm CDT
most of the AoE toyline could be put on this list
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698021)
Posted by dragons on June 13th, 2015 @ 12:58pm CDT
She'll formers I misread it I almost add bumblee to list shelfwarmer
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698030)
Posted by ultramadness on June 13th, 2015 @ 1:12pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698031)
Posted by welcometothedarksyde on June 13th, 2015 @ 1:13pm CDT
This was a fun list :D Are to thinking of making the worst Shelfwarmers?
I nominate Tuner Mudflap...
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698036)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on June 13th, 2015 @ 1:32pm CDT

What? I loved that figure. Looked creepy, liked his colour scheme and was highly posable. I don't finding him that complicated. :(

Not a fan of 'shellformers' at all. Some get a pass though for some reasons like AoE voyager Galavtron (due to him not having a normal transformation) and I suppose AoE deluxe Crosshairs may count as one (but I love the duster look, it's so damn cool). Others are just generally lazy but at least a couple on this list have superior alternate options like Sentinel Prime's Leader in favour of the Voyager here so that's not too bad.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698043)
Posted by william-james88 on June 13th, 2015 @ 1:56pm CDT
Megatron Wolf wrote:most of the AoE toyline could be put on this list

Are they worst than the ones listed?

ultramadness wrote:While I have no particular love for that Voyager Sentinel Prime (the facial sculpt is especially heinous) I feel that I must point out the pictures show the backpack with a very large and easily removable Mech-tech weapon attatched.

Good point, but this was more about how removed the shell was from the robot as opposed to how big the backpack was. And those were the best pics I found to illustrate the dissonance.

welcometothedarksyde wrote:This was a fun list :D Are to thinking of making the worst Shelfwarmers?
I nominate Tuner Mudflap...

Thats a great list to do and I have not thought of it yet. Will probably start a thread to ask you guys since I have not been an active collector for as long as others.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698051)
Posted by munkimus prime on June 13th, 2015 @ 2:28pm CDT
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698052)
Posted by MightyMagnus78 on June 13th, 2015 @ 2:30pm CDT
AOE voyager Galvatron?
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698057)
Posted by shajaki on June 13th, 2015 @ 2:42pm CDT
Great list as always Will ;)^

For how much hate he gets (don't worry, you'll always have my heart :x ) I'm surprised this fella ain't listed.

Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698059)
Posted by Barricade.it on June 13th, 2015 @ 2:49pm CDT
Megatron Wolf wrote:most of the AoE toyline could be put on this list

I totally agree! As I've seen AOE characters I've said "The only way to get these into toys is shellformers". Shellformer is mandatory wneh robot mode o alt mode is too anthro (like AOE) or... organic (Beast).

I totally hate shellformers. They're neither tranformers, they're plastic pop-up.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698061)
Posted by Flashwave on June 13th, 2015 @ 2:56pm CDT
This whole time I way reading this list I was thinking of Thunderblast. But in her favor, one can easily remove that one pin holding her boat to her back. It makes a lovely turret, and the pegs all it to reintevrate firmly., either as a fligbt pack, or for her boat mode.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698064)
Posted by william-james88 on June 13th, 2015 @ 3:09pm CDT
shajaki wrote:Great list as always Will ;)^

Then I guess my next list will be super controversial ;) (I use the same picture too)

MightyMagnus78 wrote:AOE voyager Galvatron?

I fail to see how they could have designed that toy better than they did. Unlike Thunderblast (for instance), movie designs are made before and not by toy developers and thus toy makers have this hard reverse engineering task to perform. I think they pulled it off well since the toy should have 0 alt mode integration. It doesnt mean I like the design, I think its a horrible way to design a transformer, but I cant fault the toy for executing the task it was asked to do.The toy also has a really cool ease and grace to his transformation which means the shellforming at least had an advantage

munkimus prime wrote:How about any version AOE Crosshairs. I like the car as a cape idea but the toys don't pull it off to well.

I find him to be a worse AOE toy than Galvatron but once again, it was based on a predone design. But even though the toy makers were forced to mimic what was seen onscreen, it wasnt done elegantly (still could be worse, look at the movie figures on this list). And I think they didnt pull the cape off well either and the transfoamrtion is finicky. But at least there was effort and I wouldnt call the toy too lazy, at least compared to the others on this list.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698068)
Posted by jay5 on June 13th, 2015 @ 3:27pm CDT
[quote] Man, Sideswipe here must be studying for all his courses tonight because look at the big backpack he needs to carry all his books![/quote]
:lol: :APPLAUSE:
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698073)
Posted by Rated X on June 13th, 2015 @ 3:33pm CDT
sure how AOE Galvatron didnt make the list. Another shellformer is WFC Bumblebee/Cliffjumper although the shell folds up to a devree of complexity leaving not much kibble.
Re: Top 5 Worst Shellformers Transformers Toys (1698076)
Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit on June 13th, 2015 @ 3:40pm CDT
Rated X wrote:At a quick glance on my cell phone, I thought the topic was "shelf warmers" and was about to say wheres bumblebee until I noticed it was "shellformers". Anyways, Im not

I think "Shellformers with the most useless kibble in robot mode" is what they were going for. Galvatron has some, but not as much as the ones in the list.
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 40%
You save: 32%
You save: 31%
Buy "Playskool Mr. Potato Head Transformers Mixable Mashable Heroes as Starscream Robot, 2-Inch" on AMAZON
You save: 27%