Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail

Transformers News: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail

Sunday, June 16th, 2019 5:49pm CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Toy News, Sightings, Press Releases, Collectables
Posted by: Stargrave   Views: 20,558

This just in from Twitter member Diem @DiemTF is an image of the Hasbro/IDW Transformers: Ghosts of Cybertron cross-media promotional star Ectotron on is very own shirt! The shirt features an image of the four original Ghostbusters wheeling down some specters in the Ecto-1 in the foreground with a nice image of the paranormal pursuing powerhouse behind them. The art on the shirt appears to be by series artist Dan Shoening.
Transformers News: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail
Transformers News: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail
Diem spotted this at their local Game Stop but mentions he believes this to also now be available on their on-line store. Upon a quick check it appears pre-orders for the shirt are up with an expected release date of June 20th.

Will you be sylin' and profilin' with the bot that gets 'em caught this summer?
Share your view with the Seibertron crew and let us know!

Most Popular Transformers News

Most Recent Transformers News

Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2024813)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on June 16th, 2019 @ 6:03pm CDT
The Ectotron in the shirt is noticeably different from the toy. Is that the same with the comic?
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2024825)
Posted by Stargrave on June 16th, 2019 @ 6:55pm CDT
Here's a couple more images for comparison - honestly I think he looks a tad different each time...

Nose, no nose, what's your preference? :lol:
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2024868)
Posted by Nathaniel Prime on June 17th, 2019 @ 8:34am CDT
My preference is with a nose. Without one, he looks unnatural with the faceplate mouth, a d he doesn't make it look nearly as good as Optimus Primal did. Between the two pictures you presented, the most noticeable difference seems to be the detailing on the legs. I wonder if that has any relevance to the story, or if they just wanted to emulate G1's animation error style.
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2024929)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 17th, 2019 @ 7:15pm CDT
I wish they would stick to the open mouthplate design, that's been my favorite
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2025999)
Posted by Tigertrack on June 26th, 2019 @ 10:18am CDT
Transformers Ghostbusters
Ghosts of Cybertron - Part 1 Review

“There’s somethin’ strange in the neighborhood.
Who you gonna’ call?…

Transformers...
More than meets the eye..."

____________________________________________
SOME HISTORY:
If you would allow me a moment.

Transformers comics history is rife with crossover partners. Some seemed sensical (if not forced) and established a shared universe with similar franchises that seemed to make sense, starting with GI JOE. Then, there are those that made less sense like Visionaries, Micronauts and Rom (remember this is just writer’s opinion) -but again, shared universe pushing. And finally, there are just pairings that seem to be thrown together for pure F-U-N like Star Trek —- which sadly did not include tribble-cons —- or for the ultimate ‘what the’ or ‘what if’ factor in the much criticized Transformers and Avengers crossover. Sadly missing from the crossovers to date are some that make a little more sense like Robotech, Power Rangers, Godzilla, or Gobots, all of which have enjoyed recent revival in comics format, if not other formats, as well.

This brings us to now.

A new crossover with another revitalized and popular sci-fi franchise. One that you might not pair with Transformers immediately like a GI JOE, but one that may prove as fun as the Star Trek series was, or possibly as painful as the Avengers series. This partnership has a lot riding behind it, more than a comic crossover (which is more than what most of the crossovers can claim), but a dedicated brand-new toy of a brand new character being introduced in the mini-series -retroactively, first introduced in a comedy TV series about childhood in the 80's-, as well as, an exclusive comic con toy, and apparel. A bit more due given here than we are used to. Will it pay off?

Hopefully, we’ll find that the combining of these two popular IDW comic franchises is a fun, adventure that leaves us wanting more. Hey, with Slimer AND the ghost of Starscream, what could possibly go wrong?

YOUR REVIEWERS:
Because this is a crossover being reviewed, I will be reviewing this in conjunction with D-MAXIMAL_PRIMAL (D MAX). Don’t look for a good cop, bad cop thing here, each of us will tell it like it is to us, try to avoid any major spoilers, and enjoy the fact that we have a very different Transformers experience ahead of us!

____________________________________________
OVER-RE-VIEW:

This issue opens on a familiar scene. War on Cybertron between Autobots and Decepticons.

Our introduction to the characters is very familiar generation one cartoon and comic personalities and designs in battle. Okay, looks familiar. The Autobots are taking off in their shuttle, and the Decepticons are getting ready to pursue in the ever familiar ‘More than Meets the Eye’ way. But that’s where the familiarity grinds to a halt…(record scratch)

D MAX: I wasn't expecting the comic creators to take it in that direction, and that's awesome that they did. It leveled the playing field and set things in motion in ways I hadn't imagined but it makes sense the way that they did it. And I like the fact that they took it in that different direction.

TIGERTRACK: Yeah, the coming of the traveler from Ghostbusters -the pivotal scene in the finale of the original movie- it was cool, but then to manipulate it to become Transformers related, coming to Cybertron and the form of the traveler being what one wouldn’t first predict, and that it was picking on the cons… it truly was a nightmare! :) Starscream you imbecile!!!! Kudos to writer Eric Burnham.

Are you wondering if the rest of the issue and series will be as impressively and thoughtfully planned? Me too.

Act 2 Takes us aboard the ark….which the Decepticons are a little too busy to intercept currently. Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Jazz, Eck (Ectronymous Diamatron), and Optimus Prime are discussing Ectronymous’ findings.

D MAX: I am OK with Ectotron being a standard Autobot on the Ark, his science background and also the pain he feels from bots not calling him by his real name is relatable. I feel OK with his personality so far, but I feel like it will shine a lot more in the presence of the Ghostbusters.

ImageEctotron...does not like Shakespeare.

TIGERTRACK: Spoiler alert!!!! Seriously though, it does feel like the absent Wheeljack might have fit that role just fine. I thought the name thing was somewhat fun banter to get us to understand how the other bots view Ectronymous. Sorry that I didn't know that about your name...

D-MAXIMAL_PRIMAL: Ectotron felt like from his intro on: a Ghostbuster in the Autobot ranks. He stands out amongst the bots because he really is a personality from one book displaced into another. And that is OK by me with what he is about to work with.

TIGERTRACK: I suppose he has to show up in it, or else they wouldn’t sell any toys or t-shirts. I have a feeling Wheeljack will get to help invent some ‘do-hickey’ down the line anyway. Making Ectotron a part of the original ark crew in this universe IS a cool way to do it. That way he isn’t just the Ghostbuster’s Ecto-1 given life by the allspark, or a ghostbuster's soul transferred to Ecto-1 by the same autotech that created Autobot Spike, or (choose your macguffin).

I think we possibly spoiled something there.

Act 3 took us to Earth. Much time has passed.

We’re on a mission with the four original Ghostbusters in Brooklyn. Ray, Igon, Peter, and Ernie Hudson (I’m so not good with his character’s name, but I do love Ernie Hudson! -Winston, right, his character’s name is Winston) are pursuing what looks to be a pretty seriously powerful apparition. Ecto-1 is ‘stuck’. In the shadows, a familiar face looks to acclimate himself to Earth and needs a disguise…(explore, explore…)

D-MAXIMAL_PRIMAL: As a Ghostbusters fan, I am glad to see the gang doing what they do and talkin' the talky-talk. Everything felt good and made sense, and it is awesome to read a comic with the Ghostbusters in it like this. Everything is awesome there.

Banter BANTER bAnTeR BANter (joke)

TIGERTRACK: I enjoyed this part as well. I’m not a BIG Ghostbusters fan, more a casual consumer (ie - I watch the movies when they are on). The characters felt familiar. The personalities displayed through the banter and interactions seemed spot on.

Why do the Ghostbusters in Brooklyn end up crossing paths with Ectotron and another Cybertronian? That would be telling, but ghosts and cybertronians…. hmmm….you can guess.

____________________________________________
ART:
This issue was Illustrated by regular Ghostbusters comic artist, Dan Shoening and colored by Luis Antonio Delgado. The Letters were by… you guessed it! The famous and talented, Tom B. Long.

TIGERTRACK: Reminding people about my low level of consumerism for Ghostbusters, I did think the art was an interesting mix of the cartoon-y style of vintage ‘The Real Ghostbusters’ cartoon, but with less artistic license taken with the characters - more movie accurate coloring, costume and settings. The Transformers were deftly handled and accurately designed by an artist that probably doesn’t draw them often; although once pointed out, I couldn’t ignore the difficulty that sometimes occurred with the robots proportionality, but really, overall was excellent portrayal (especially compared with some previous crossover artists). But just look at the detail in the image below. So much in the traveler's gate to look at. The colors were done well in supporting the designs and layouts of the illustrator, and as always, Tom B. Long does excellent work in supporting the drawings and colors with unobtrusive words and sound effects that help to illustrate what is happening in the story.

ImageIt's spelled 'T-O-M'!

D-MAXIMAL_PRIMAL: So, the art felt a bit lacking in detail for me, and some of the proportions appeared to be off. The bots feel more bland than they should, especially Ectotron compared to his toy, and the humans were the ones who really felt like they had small heads. But it wasn't bad, it wasn't overly distracting, and it still gave us a good look at what we expect the Ghostbusters and Cartoon-based Transformers to look like.

ImageGhosts don't cast shadows, do they?

The colors were pretty swell, and I felt that they paid proper homage to the classic cartoon style and also the Ghostbusters and what kind of wacky animated world they could live in as well.

In case, you were wondering, there is a plethora of covers to choose from to most likely hit your cover collecting fancy, or if you are a completist, to spend lots of extra money.

____________________________________________
CONCLUSION:

D-MAXIMAL_PRIMAL: I think this was a great kickoff issue. It was a really fun journey, and it just about ticked all the boxes I could have asked for to be ticked in an opening issue crossing over 2 of my favorite Science Fiction universes. This opener gave me hope for a great and enjoyable series, and I could not be happier to be along for the journey.

:MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: out of :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL:

TIGERTRACK: I think that IDW has another winner on their hands here in the ‘FUN WAYS TO CROSS TRANSFORMERS OVER WITH OTHER SUCCESSFUL FRANCHISES THAT SEEM TO BE IN NO WAY RELATED’ genre of crossover that doesn’t mess with their current Transformers series. Much like ‘Transformers - Star Trek’, I feel like this is meant to be a silly, what if, style series, with some avenues of popular Transformers lore being interestingly transformed to fit into another SCI FI world… when cartoons collide!

Can Transformers Ghostbusters pay off with something as fan-servicingly awesome as a freaking Fortress Maximus Enterprise piloted by Captain Kirk? Or was the ‘traveler has come’ part already been that pay off? I’m not sure, but I’m very excited to continue reading to see what else this crossover has in store! Thanks D Max for the banter. Maybe we can continue this on the next issue?

:rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: out of :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar:

Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2026120)
Posted by ScottyP on June 26th, 2019 @ 2:36pm CDT
I like the first handful of pages a lot. Then it becomes another rote exercise in franchise crossover blah, just going through its motions. Ectotron is annoying and I'm tired of the "caustic and pedantic smart person" thing.

But it was fun enough to meet my very low expectations and maybe exceed them a bit. As someone with only a tiny interest in Ghostbusters this one isn't for me but that's ok :)

Oh and tiny heads everywhere. Can't un-see.
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2026242)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 26th, 2019 @ 7:25pm CDT
I really enjoyed the issue and I'm grateful for the opportunity to review it. This is a fun crossover that I was really looking forward to and it did not disappoint. I love it.
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2026253)
Posted by Stargrave on June 26th, 2019 @ 8:04pm CDT
Not really sure if it's newsworthy but I did find this awesome combination of the alternate covers for #1 at the IDW Twitter labeled as "Prime Gets Slimed":

Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2026522)
Posted by Stargrave on June 28th, 2019 @ 10:07am CDT
From the list released by the San Diego Comic Con we have an image of the exclusive Dan Shoening cover for Ghosts of Cybertron #1! From the press release:
"Pick up this exclusive Transformers/Ghostbusters #1 variant cover with a TOP SECRET design to be unveiled at the convention! Prime gets Slimed as Ghostbusters and Transformers each celebrate their 35th anniversary, with this convention cover by Ghostbusters artist Dan Schoening."
SDCC exclusives always get our community a-buzzing, for good and bad. The item is currently listed as only $10.00 so if you're a fan of the series this is an affordable bonus to grab while at the Con.

Enjoy the image and let us know your thoughts in the forum!
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2026594)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on June 28th, 2019 @ 4:45pm CDT
Unfortunately, that whole cover was already fully revealed in issue 1 this week.
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2026614)
Posted by Stargrave on June 28th, 2019 @ 5:58pm CDT
Well, I’ll be a son of a glitch.... :BANG_HEAD:
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2028745)
Posted by Stargrave on July 14th, 2019 @ 12:20am CDT
Also manifesting over on iTunes is a two page previews of IDW's Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron #2! Check out the images below and let us know your thoughts on the series in the forum.

"“GHOSTS OF CYBERTRON” Part 2! Okay. So. It seems as though there are giant robots who can disguise themselves as vehicles out there in the universe, and, as it happens, one of them has taken the place of Ecto-1. When the Ghostbusters discover this replacement, they naturally have a lot of questions—and this time, even the boys in gray might not believe the answers!"
by Erik Burnham & Dan Schoening
GENRE: Comics & Graphic Novels
AVAILABLE: 2019, July 17
LANGUAGE: EN-English
LENGTH:31Pages
PUBLISHER: IDW Publishing
SELLER: Idea and Design Works, LLC
SIZE: 22.1MB

Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2028807)
Posted by DeathReviews on July 14th, 2019 @ 12:32pm CDT
Nice that they kept Ray's wont for prolixity...
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2029752)
Posted by Stargrave on July 17th, 2019 @ 2:48pm CDT
Thanks to comics website Graphic Policy we have the full preview for Transformers/Ghostbusters: Ghosts of Cybertron #2! The title follows the adventures of our favorite Cybertronians meeting the inconic phantom fighters of the 80's the Ghostbusters! And in this issue we get to see how a spectral Starscream matches up against one of the most destructive proton accelerators ever strapped to a back. Who will win? The title is written by Erik Burnham with art by Dan Shoening.

Are you enjoying the series so far? This is only a five issue storyline and the pace appears to be moving at a steady clip. Share your enjoyment or woes for the series in the forum and don't forget to stay tuned to Seibertron for all your Transformers news!

Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2029770)
Posted by Decepticon Stryker on July 17th, 2019 @ 3:07pm CDT
Looks good! Loved issue 1 more than I thought I would. Gonna have to make my way down to the closest comic book store (6 miles) and pick it up.
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2029836)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 17th, 2019 @ 7:24pm CDT
Carry on my Wayward Son
A Seibertron.com Review of IDW Transformers Ghostbusters #2

So, are you ready to believe us?

The Road So Far

After a pretty dang nice opening to the series, Issue 2 of Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron lands! Does it live up to the first issue? Or does it fall into the pitless void that many issue #2's have? well, let's find out!

Hopefully no one died reading issue 1 and reads this one as a ghost

Issue 2 pretty much takes place entirely in 1 staging area, with a short jump to a secondary location. And while that may seem like a boring setup, it is actually a nice get-together with some nice introductions to group dynamics and also some set up for later issues, without being too overly convoluted and boring.

The Ghostbusters crew takes center stage this issue, and the Ghostbuster fan inside me was delighted with how they all played out together: Egon with his wonderful scientific skepticism, Peter as the wise cracker who definitely gets the best on-liners, Winston as the more grounded member who also gets some great one-liners, and Ray who leads the team and tries his best to handle the situation around him. The group dynamic is strong and fun, and I really hope the Ghostbusters fandom is happy, because I am.

I'd be more excited if we got free Proton Packs

On the Transformers side of things, we only get 2 characters for most of the book, but we get a better feel for Eck and what he's been up to and what he normally deals with and how important the current mission is for him. We also get some awesome Starscream, and he certainly lives up to the Ghostbusters expectations!

Come on Starscream, I'm trying to make you look good!

We also get a flashback to the introduction of issue 1, showing the effects of Gozer unleashed. We also get some classic Decepticon moments, and a few more nice 86 movie homages in ways that are very much different but entertaining.

While it may not seem like much was done, the group as a whole felt like a good fun ride, and it has helped set up Eck as a member of the team and also gives us some more prompts and questions, making you wonder where things are truly meant to go in this book

Art

Dan Schoening impressed me in issue 1 of the series, and he follows up issue 1 with an equally as fun issue 2. It's fun to see the cartoon aesthetic attached to Eck, though I still insist that the robot heads are a bit too small for their bodies. But that is a minor thing, I can't be too hard on a guy who is drawings Transformers with almost no experience doing so, especially when his Ghostbusters crew has a great style themselves. It's hard for the bots to blend in with that, OK?

But Starscream really shines and he is my favorite of the Transformers half of the party, as is a little surprise guest that I will leave you folks with finding out who that is.

The Ghostbusters crew look good as well, and I really appreciate the facial expressions they have. If tiny robot heads are the weakness, the human facial expressions are the strengths. Well done Dan, I love seeing the smirks, the grins, the "sigh here we go again" looks. It's fun to look at! The backgrounds fill out the artwork well too.

Heed his warning, or he'll talk, and you already can't be talked to death because you're a ghost

Colors are shining once more thanks to Luis Antonio Delgado, and the proton streams and the surprise character are real shining points for the colors. Give me some more of that please! I really appreciate the background trees as well. It is a simple matter relatively speaking, but a very nice feature.

Lettering is done by Tom B. Long, and he continues his great work allowing us to view all the joys of the issue and giving us some great angry Starscream spirit.

In Conclusion

Welcome aboard Rookie!

Another really good episode guys, a joy to read!

Transformers Ghostbusters has started out as a silly comic that I am enjoying reading that is giving us a look at a cool new character who got a pretty sweet toy, a classic crew we all love, and a bot that can fit right in with them. It is an enjoyable read, it doesn't have a shock value trick to it, it's exactly what you would expect, and sometimes, that's just what you need.

Keep it up guys, I'm ready to see 5 streams crossing again!

:KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: out of :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK:
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2029962)
Posted by Big Grim on July 18th, 2019 @ 10:23am CDT
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2030781)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 21st, 2019 @ 8:47pm CDT
Big Grim wrote:I've been enjoying this and thanks to it, I've used comixologies sales to buy pretty much all of IDWs Ghostbusters stuff. It's almost all really, really good. They include the videogame and still refer to the player character as the Rookie. They also fold in Infestation with Britt and the zombies. It's been fun. Recommended if you're a Ghostbusters fan.

Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2031331)
Posted by Big Grim on July 24th, 2019 @ 9:20am CDT
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:i've been thinking about delving deeper into some of the IDW GB stuff. I really like what I've seen from this creative team

Having read everything barring the first prime omnibus (because I couldn't find it on Comixology), I've really, really enjoyed it. The crossovers with the TMNT were also a lot of fun and both series call back to these meetings throughout the run.

Highly recommended mate.
Re: Transformers Ectotron Shirt Spotted at US Retail (2031403)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on July 24th, 2019 @ 6:21pm CDT
Big Grim wrote:

Highly recommended mate.

I think I am going to have to.

time to go shopping

Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Skywarp Action Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #241 - Toy Fair 2020
"Toy Fair 2020"
Posted: Monday, February 24th, 2020

Buy "transformers tfcc tfss 1.0 Breakdown" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS ULTRA MAGNUS Siege War for Cybertron Leader Class Hasbro New" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations War for Cybertron Siege Leader Class WFC-S14 Shockwave" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers The Last Knight Premier Edition Skullitron Figure Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers DOTM Leader Class Sentinel Prime Custom Painted" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO TRANSFORMERS SIEGE WAR FOR CYBERTRON TRILOGY AUTOBOT MIRAGE NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege iGear Impactor Add on kit 18pcs a set 3D" on EBAY
Buy "Pre Order Takara Tomy Transformers Siege Series SG-47 Astro Train JAPAN F/S" on EBAY