TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit

TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit

Monday, January 30th, 2012 11:05am CST

Categories: Toy News, Unlicensed Products News
Posted by: El Duque   Views: 34,864

Allspark member Thinktank has announced a project to give the various iterations of the Generations Thunderwing mold a fully transforming drone to homage the original Pretender inner-robot concept. They hope to be taking orders by the end of March with $25-$30 price point. How they will taking orders and whether these will be injection molded or Shapeways has not been revealed.

Forgetting something "Gentlemen":

It is finally time to reveal a "little" project that myself and Fakebuster83 have
been working on for almost half a year now. This robot kit was designed to
help give your Thunderwing, Sky-Shadow, etc figures their smaller "inner
robot" form.

This mini-figure can stay attached to the original figures in both aero-space
fighter mode and robot mode. Or may be deployed as a companion drone
aircraft or robot figure to help in the mission at hand.

These figures are currently being fine-tuned and should be available for
ordering at the end of this coming March. I will post final pricing and ordering
details when all the variables have been resolved. Estimated price will be
$25-30 (+ shipping) per complete kit with packaging and instructions.

Without further ado, I present the Thunder Shadow Drone: TSD-Alpha:

This is a collaborative project brought to you by:
Thinktank (Design) and Ariel Lemon (AKA: fakebuster83) (3D Technical)

NOTE: We are constantly working to improve the quality of our product.
The final design will likely vary slightly from the images presented.

Here are a series technical illustrations showing the kit's design and features:

Credit(s): Allspark member Thinktank

Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340164)
Posted by Flux Convoy on January 30th, 2012 @ 11:12am CST
That's a really cool idea IMO. The price is a little steep but I'll be watching this.
:BOT:
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340168)
Posted by Prime Evil on January 30th, 2012 @ 11:19am CST
Looks promising. Definitely keeping an eye on this as well.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340170)
Posted by Mkall on January 30th, 2012 @ 11:22am CST
Interesting, but until I see something more concrete, I won't get my hopes up.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340171)
Posted by Kibble on January 30th, 2012 @ 11:29am CST
The bot modes look pretty sweet...the alt mode looks like they might be a little wonky, though. Would like to see more pics.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340183)
Posted by rpetras on January 30th, 2012 @ 11:38am CST
With all the money I plan to save on NOT buying TF: Prime stuff, I'll have more $$$ for 3rd party stuff.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340185)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 30th, 2012 @ 11:41am CST
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340188)
Posted by El Duque on January 30th, 2012 @ 11:43am CST
Dead Metal wrote:Interested, but only if it#s injection molded and fully painted, if it's a shapeways kit with paint I won't buy.

Same here. I really wish Head Robots would tackle this, but if these guys can pull it off with decent quality I'll happily take all three.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340193)
Posted by Bumblevivisector on January 30th, 2012 @ 11:52am CST

...well, assuming ACTA doesn't completely crush the 3rd Party market, which it probably will. We really need to mobilize against that one like we did against PIPA 2 weeks ago, but it'll be more complicated since ACTA's multinational.

Sorry to stump, but since it'll allow physical goods to be declared counterfeit/pirated without investigation, I don't see why Has/Tak wouldn't finally bring the hammer down.

I wonder how limited the Metalhawk figure will be, assuming that's who the COMING SOON must be.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340223)
Posted by DMSL on January 30th, 2012 @ 1:25pm CST
REALLY cool idea but it sticks out way too far in the combined jetmode.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340245)
Posted by rpetras on January 30th, 2012 @ 2:13pm CST
Bumblevivisector wrote:Makes me wish even more that Generations Thunderwing had been been Voyager sized, but I'm looking forward to this too...

Thunderwing is just a REALLY BIG Legends Class. At least in my universe :D
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340421)
Posted by Sodan-1 on January 30th, 2012 @ 6:38pm CST
A nice idea, but it's too rough looking for my liking. The way it attaches in jet mode is hideous.

As far as an upgrade for Generations Thunderwing goes, I'd rather have an IDW style suit of armour, like that custom by Dak I think it was.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340429)
Posted by Insane Galvatron on January 30th, 2012 @ 7:15pm CST
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340474)
Posted by Flashwave on January 30th, 2012 @ 8:41pm CST
Insane Galvatron wrote:I had thought about designing something like this. My idea involved the bot replacing the drone, not attaching to the bottom of it. If they'll make it so, I'd buy it. As rendered? Not quite.

IG: I think it's worse, they dummy plugged it, the lumpy thing on top is a replacement part. I can't help but wonder why they couldn't have strtcvedh the back an eight of an inch wider (or less!), and made room for a small ridge or notches to let him clip in directly.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340484)
Posted by triKlops on January 30th, 2012 @ 9:12pm CST
really cohesive process on this
it will be interesting to see these when fleshed out in pics
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340491)
Posted by Mkall on January 30th, 2012 @ 9:20pm CST
I think I'm going to have to eat mny words I said somewhere else about a drone not being doable.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340585)
Posted by Thinktank on January 31st, 2012 @ 5:55am CST
rpetras wrote:Thunderwing is just a REALLY BIG Legends Class. At least in my universe :D

This put a smile on my face.

I didn't realize this thread had popped up over here, in this part of the forum.

To help clear up any confusion:
The first wave will be Shapeways manufactured until we get a mold maker on board. The kits will be inspected, cleaned, and any parts that fail inspection will be replaced with a part that meets scrutiny. Each kit will include a set of illustrated instructions with painting guide. It will then be numbered, bagged, and boxed.

We are seriously exploring a molded production option in the
near future but, not just yet.

I will try to help with some of the technical questions:

The replacement Nose-block, that image is from an older mock-up the newer part fits much more flush and essentially looks much like the original drone without the wings.

The Nose-block was developed due to the way the original mold stores it's landing gear. It takes up a lot of space in the original included non-transforming drone.

One of our goals was not to have to permanently maim/modify your original toy to install it. Please consider that we were having to cram a basic/scout level articulated figure down into a mini-con sized package. I assure you we literally did the best we could with what we had. Now if the mold had been a Voyager...

As to why it sits so far forward:
This so it can remain attached while deploying the landing gear and also when the larger figure is in robot mode. This was also a throwback to the G1 version of this mold. When it is attached you can also swing the arms up and back along the sides of the larger robot's head guard/fuselage. This does make less obtrusive in combined mode and covers the gap between them pretty well.

As we get to the final fit and pollish stage we will share plenty of new images and some photos of the final product.

Trivia:
The alt-mode is based loosely on the KEPD cruise missile made for Germany and Spain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KEPD_350
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340621)
Posted by Down_Shift on January 31st, 2012 @ 8:09am CST
It's what I've wanted from the outset, but looking at the overall lack of creativity I'll pass. A TF fans in 2012 wants something a little more complexe then G1 Broadside...

Here's hoping one of the good companies makes something better. Seems to be the competitive trend.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340666)
Posted by Flux Convoy on January 31st, 2012 @ 10:23am CST
Thinktank wrote:We are seriously exploring a molded production option in the
near future but, not just yet.

Get that tied up and I'm likely on board for all of them. Shapeways, while useful, is not a finished product. It is pre-production at best. I wouldn't drop third party prices on any Shapeways item no matter how interested I might be.
:BOT:
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340668)
Posted by Dead Metal on January 31st, 2012 @ 10:26am CST
Flux Convoy wrote:
Thinktank wrote:
We are seriously exploring a molded production option in the
near future but, not just yet.

:BOT:

Me too, I'm still pissed off at my shapeways kits.
It would also bee cool if these would attach to the drone instead of replacing them.
Re: TSD-Alpha "Thunder Shadow Drone" Robot Kit (1340737)
Posted by Mkall on January 31st, 2012 @ 12:38pm CST
Agreed. I only pay for finished products. Sorry, but that's the way it is for me.

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum RID Grimlock and Bumblebee - Exclusive" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #274 - Pulse Fan Fest 2021
"Pulse Fan Fest 2021"
Posted: Sunday, April 18th, 2021

Buy "Transformers BLAST OFF and MEGATRONUS Amazon Exclusive Combiner Wars Prime" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Titans Return Wheelie Generations Legends Rare Complete" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Onslaught Combaticons Leader Combiner Wars In Box" on EBAY
Buy "?? Transformers Titans Return Legends COSMOS & SEASPRAY figure Lot Authentic" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titans Return TRYPTICON Factory Sealed MISB HASBRO" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS STEALTH FORCE BUMBLEBEE Basic 2010." on EBAY
Buy "New Transformers Takara Legends LG36 Soundwave" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Battle Call Figure Bumblebee Cyberverse Adventures" on EBAY