Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars"

Monday, January 4th, 2016 10:04PM CST

Categories: Site News, Digital Media News, Podcast
Posted by: Razorclaw0000   Views: 37,072

Welcome to the latest episode of the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast, where we set a course into the new year of 2016 to navigate the pointlessly exaggerated danger of what's ahead. This episode features a packed crew, with host ScottyP being joined by regular podcast rockstars Megatronus, Counterpunch, Tigertrack24, Razorclaw0000, and recurring special guest star, Starscream/Paul from Ript Apparel. We hear if you like him on the show, you should buy a shirt from his site, but we also promise that's the only shilling that occurs involved with any of this and it's purely out of gratitude for his donation of time taken out to record.

Episode #134 “Whale Wars“ is available directly and in our RSS Feed, and should appear on iTunes and Stitcher Radio within 24 to 48 hours of when you see this news post.

First up, we start with spoiler-heavy discussion of "Sins of the Wreckers #2", to compliment Va'al's excellent review. Watch us speculate wildly! Or, you know, just listen. That video didn't get past the site's profanity filters.

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars"
Chris Hemsworth and Stakeout need to exchange tips

Next, we continue the wild speculation with some thoughts on what we'd like to see to commemorate Beast Wars' Anniversary in 2016. Rather than predictions, we focus on our "wishful thinking" types of thoughts.

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars"
We've been here before, but do we want to go there again?

After that, we tackle a listener question from news crew member william-james88, which dovetails nicely with this analysis comparing the Hasbro and Unite Warriors Devastators:

william-james88 asks:
On your CW Devastator, do you have the tampographed Decepticon symbol on his knee upside down or upright? Which do you preffer? Would you have preffered it being upright when rotated to lock in the leg or would you have preferred it blank like the UW version?

We delve into some deeper mysteries, with faction symbol orientation through G1 and beyond. The seeker rabbit hole is deep, but thankfully we've got an expert here to help us out.

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars"
Is this doing it wrong?

Before getting into some end of year wrap up, we sit down for a roundtable discussion on the future of G1 reissues and their current popularity. Are G1 toys and media still in the spotlight?

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars"
Platinum Series - our last, best hope for Reissues?

Finally, the show wraps up with some reverse bragging rights as the cast discusses the Transformers related gifts they've given, some thoughts on holiday stock levels, and a few ideas on what's going to be awesome in 2016.

Transformers News: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars"
We hope so too!

A very Happy New Year to all of our listeners, we can't wait to keep bring you another great year of the show!

Don't forget, the show only gets better if you tell us how. Drop us a review on iTunes and be sure to tell us what you love, what you hate, and what you want to hear!

Not on the show to give your take? Probably not, so don't forget to keep the discussion going on the Seibertron.com Energon Pub Forums by simply replying to this post!

Got a question for the Twincast? We take all of them, we just don't take them all seriously! Leave a question in the Ask the Twincast thread and, if it makes the cut, it may get read and answered on the show.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752049)
Posted by Counterpunch on January 4th, 2016 @ 11:08pm CST
Ready to get lambasted.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752130)
Posted by SG Roadbuster on January 5th, 2016 @ 10:52am CST
The shark is indeed Cybershark. according to TFwiki. it's the tm2 body design, with purely organic detailing. (do i smell a t30 Skybyte retool?)
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752359)
Posted by Kibble on January 5th, 2016 @ 7:08pm CST
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752512)
Posted by ScottyP on January 6th, 2016 @ 8:52am CST
Kibble wrote:The only thing worse than MP seeker symbols facing the wrong way (Starscream's being the correct way) is the dickheads making a few this way and then the rest the other. Drives my OCD over the edge. Tempted to sell my Skywarp that's going for $400 all of a sudden and then buy the friggin' Wukong KOs that are about to come out and put my own damn faction symbols on the correct way!
I won't pay you $400 but if you sell your Skywarp and would take $300 lmk :D

But yeah, I hear you. It doesn't bother me, and I kind of like having them be different, but I would point out that this is one thing that MP-3, MP-6, and MP-7 did perfectly: stickers. You want detail and symbols and all that? Go to town. You want planes? You got planes.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752521)
Posted by Kibble on January 6th, 2016 @ 9:28am CST
Yeah, I'm not actually looking to sell it, but for nerd rage effect and all, I gotta pretend like I'm right on the verge of it! But yes, stickers would be nice, then the peeps that want them wrong can have them that way, the peeps that want them correct are good, and even the crazies that want a few this while the others are that...or hell, maybe have each wing do something different! Everyone wins. ;)
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752524)
Posted by Starscream on January 6th, 2016 @ 9:32am CST

If they had originally been tampos instead of stickers, we may not be having this confusion.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752525)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on January 6th, 2016 @ 9:33am CST
If I'd been able to be on, I would have said I wanted an updated BW Silverbolt. the original figure is great, but I want one that the wings can fold down so he doesn't have to turn sideways when walking through doors. It would also be cool to get a few reissues of some figures. Especially some that fell victim to Transmetalitis. My Rampage flaked away. I was bummed. He's with another owner now though, so don't have to worry about my kids eating the flakes.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752539)
Posted by Kibble on January 6th, 2016 @ 10:15am CST
Starscream wrote:Such is the issue with the original wings being stickers: they went which ever way the original applicant put them and never could be changed.

We still would if they didn't match the cartoon...as wildly inconsistent as the toon was in general, they actually drew the inverted wing symbols correctly about 95% of the time.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752566)
Posted by ScottyP on January 6th, 2016 @ 11:19am CST
Not with that attitude they couldn't.

[size=85]
P.S. I get your point, just having fun with it.[/size]
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752935)
Posted by william-james88 on January 7th, 2016 @ 11:02am CST
ScottyP wrote:I won't pay you $400 but if you sell your Skywarp and would take $300 lmk :D

I can feel your pain Scotty, but just wait a bit, I am sure he will be either rereleased by takara or Hasbro.

And Scotty, I can totally concur with what you were initially getting at with the G1 talk. I had this article that I thoght would catch on like wildfire viewtopic.php?f=4&t=105950&p=1747467&hilit=rerelease#p1747467

But quite a few replies were along the lines of a reissue not being necessary since a classics update would be better.

While I would not consider myself a hardcore G1 colelctor by any means, I want to experience as many toys as possible. Many are fun and intersting and have fun play patterns we would never get today like Road ceasar who is a combiner made up of brainmasters. I am certain that a generations Overlord would not have the same level of playability as the G1 version which is a Godmaster, A Duocon, a city-former, and a triple-changer all in one. But I am also on a budget so I can only afford reissues ala encore or platinum (the later only on sales). For the Japanese exclusives, I simply want to experience the toys and don't need something show accurate. That's why I am so thankful you guys mentioned Death Garry once. That was a great way to experience an amazing piece of G1.

So yeah, my answer to colelcting G1 is I want to have fun with the toys.

If they are all rereleased with no change from their original version, I will buy them.
If they are all rereleased with a varaince from their original version, I will still buy them.

But I don't need more than one unless it is characters which use the same mold and that I feel the need to own.

And I too would love an encore Dinoking, he's in that article too :D

Oh, one last question, I might have missed something, but why would Beast Wars Megatron be introduced in the G1 IDW comics? Is there an indication of that?
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752939)
Posted by Starscream on January 7th, 2016 @ 11:27am CST
william-james88 wrote:

It's debatably "wild" speculation on my part. I feel he is a strong contender, mostly because of the shock value that would result and the theory existed for me well before the reveal of issue 2's revealed antagonists. It's at best a guess at trying to solve the mysteries surrounding the narrative thus far.

At the same time, Tarantulas was a possible contender as well and no one gave that much water until the preview for issue 2 came out. So there.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752950)
Posted by william-james88 on January 7th, 2016 @ 11:57am CST
Starscream wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Thanks! So I take it you welcome the idea of mixing up Beast Wars chracters in a G1 landscape, interacting with characters from the sunbow cartoon?
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1752953)
Posted by Starscream on January 7th, 2016 @ 12:11pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

Considering them completely separate and never-the-two-shall meet is an outdated paradigm. This brand has been plagued by multi-universes and ground zero resets for 30 years. IDW is finally getting it right by showing how it can all be put together. This is the closest to a true "aligned" continuity as we could ask for.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1753201)
Posted by Razorclaw0000 on January 7th, 2016 @ 11:05pm CST
Starscream wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

Amazingly well said, my friend. Why not mix things up, especially when we get plausible reasons for smaller size and organic outer layers? Whalewave is my new favorite thing I'll never have!
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1753202)
Posted by Razorclaw0000 on January 7th, 2016 @ 11:08pm CST
Also, given the 20th anniversary, I can absolutely see a mandate from Hasbro coming down to IDW stressing the importance of showcasing heritage Beast Wars characters in the current fiction.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1753257)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on January 8th, 2016 @ 7:46am CST

I hate it when they aren't upside down. I also believe that Rumble is purple, but since no toy of him has been purple, Rumble is blue.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1753261)
Posted by william-james88 on January 8th, 2016 @ 8:07am CST
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:I totally am in the camp of "Decepticon symbols should be upside down on Seeker wings when they are robot mode."

Haha, I feel a bit different.

For the seekers, with the initial trio, like you I preffer them upside down for the cartoon model. But that means that for the conehead trio, I preffer them rightside up in robot mode:

As you can see above though, it doesnt end up working out with the jet mode.

As for Frenzy, the scene that defines him the most for me is in the All Hail Megatron comic and he happens to be blue there. So, for me, Frenzy is blue.
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1753267)
Posted by ScottyP on January 8th, 2016 @ 8:19am CST
Razorclaw0000 wrote:Whalewave is my new favorite thing I'll never have!
Later today I'm going to see if this fits into Tidal Wave's missile launchers:

Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1753276)
Posted by RodimusConvoy13 on January 8th, 2016 @ 8:58am CST
ScottyP wrote:
Razorclaw0000 wrote:Whalewave is my new favorite thing I'll never have!
Later today I'm going to see if this fits into Tidal Wave's missile launchers:

What is that? That is awesome!
Re: Twincast / Podcast Episode #134 "Whale Wars" (1753278)
Posted by william-james88 on January 8th, 2016 @ 9:00am CST
RodimusConvoy13 wrote:

What is that? That is awesome!

orchanoch_playset

Ending Soon On eBay

Transformers Generations Universe Inferno & TFC Gears of War Set - Time Remaining: 5 days 21 hours 57 minutes 39 seconds
Barricade figure TRANSFORMERS Energon Combat Class 2004 Hasbro Bruticus RID - Time Remaining: 4 days 15 hours 57 minutes 53 seconds
Transformers G1 Bombshell Insecticon Hasbro 1986 - Time Remaining: 3 days 17 hours 58 minutes 23 seconds
ICEPICK AND SERGEANT CHAOS TRANSFORMERS DOTM MECHTECH HUMAN ALLIANCE SEALED - Time Remaining: 6 days 12 hours 58 minutes 22 seconds
THUNDERHEAD AND MAJOR TUNGSTEN TRANSFORMERS DOTM MECHTECH HUMAN ALLIANCE SEALED - Time Remaining: 6 days 11 hours 58 minutes 25 seconds
AUTOBOT WHIRL MAJOR SPARKPLUG TRANSFORMERS DOTM MECHTECH HUMAN ALLIANCE SEALED - Time Remaining: 6 days 11 hours 58 minutes 20 seconds
Transformers G1 Bombshell Kickback Shrapnel Insecticon lot Hasbro 1986 - Time Remaining: 3 days 18 hours 1 minute 50 seconds
Transformers G1 Devastator Long Haul Hook Scrapper Mix Master Bone Crusher Scave - Time Remaining: 3 days 8 hours 1 minute 54 seconds
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #180 - SDCC 2017