First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box

Transformers News: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box

Sunday, December 16th, 2018 2:22AM CST

Category: Toy News
Posted by: Emerje   Views: 15,302

First came the rumor, then came the confirmation, and now we can finally bring you our first look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime in all his glory thanks once again to Transformer Never Die. If you've handled a G1 Prime before there isn't a whole lot new to see here. Unless the lighting is throwing things off (it's entirely possible!) his colors appear to be based mainly on the 25th Anniversary version from 2008 in a slightly pink shade of red. He does have a small bonus in seemingly including both the skinny and chunky versions of his blaster, but that's apparently it.

Unfortunately these new pics also squelch a few theories about including the Music Label head, a Matrix, axe, or blue windows seen on other iterations. At least the stickers aren't pre-applied. Also, listings on brickseek for this item have him currently priced at $49.97.

Transformers News: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box

Transformers News: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box

Transformers News: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box

Transformers News: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box

Transformers News: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box

So what do you think? Still excited about the return of long stacks? Disappointed that he's a basic figure with no trailer? Let yourself be heard down in the Energon Pub!
Credit(s): Facebook - Transformers Never Die
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999131)
Posted by leokearon on December 16th, 2018 @ 2:37am CST
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999132)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 16th, 2018 @ 2:39am CST
Called it. Also, I could tell that was the original glazing color from the photos Shajaki shared

I hope they offer a trailer version for those who want a complete Optimus.

Either way, I'm not personally interested since I already have a complete G1 Optimus. Like, I might be slightly interested if it had the axe and matrix, since Dark0v has been out of the repro business for years now and nobody's currently producing a kit with those from what I can tell. But as it is? Pass.

leokearon wrote:An extra gun is no substitute for a trailer. Feels like you are getting half a toy

This is obviously meant for people like Emerje who think the trailer is a space hog just because they don't have permanent display room for it.
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999135)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 16th, 2018 @ 2:59am CST
Extra gun is nice. Can give it to another Prime figure in your collection whether it's the original toy that's lost his or a modern figure that you just want to have the original gun with (cos a lot of modern guns look a bit crud, especially Titans Return ones where they hollow them out for seats) Nice it has the original head too cos that music label one just looks weird.
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999136)
Posted by Emerje on December 16th, 2018 @ 3:25am CST
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

You're not wrong and I'm not the only one that feels that way. It's not so much that I think all versions should be without a trailer, I just think there whould be options. Some of us want half a toy. ;)

(BTW, this will be on the front page once a little hiccup gets fixed.)

Emerje
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999137)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on December 16th, 2018 @ 3:30am CST
Emerje wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:

(BTW, this will be on the front page once a little hiccup gets fixed.)

Emerje

Lack of trailer would bother me more if it was Magnus who needs his trailer to even look like himself... or Powermaster Prime where the cab is far more primitive and less articulated than this original Prime with the main point of that toy is to combine with it's trailer. :P Original Prime functions fine without his trailer so it's not a big deal to me who might just want the main figure but not the big grey box or (as i said before) might already have the trailer with a broken or short stacked Prime. :)
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999138)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 16th, 2018 @ 3:39am CST
I think it's a pity however that once again they've failed to give us a retooled version of Kawamori's Folly that replaces the stupid decorative handle with a 5mm peg
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999148)
Posted by -Kanrabat- on December 16th, 2018 @ 5:39am CST
My own G1 Optimus is the commemorative one that came with the extra :BOT: voicebox. He had shorts smokestacks and I had to order a pair of long ones from China to upgrade him. Those arms are a NIGHTMARE to disassemble. Lots of tiny, tiny springs and gears inside that tend to fly off everywhere. I succeeded and now my Optimus have long DIECAST stacks.

I'm pretty pleased that this Optimus do have the long smokestacks. People will have the "real" Optimus without having to struggle with an upgrade. Now my only hope is that he'll be priced at 50$CAN at the very most and he'd be available aplenty like Hotrod was. So that everyone have a chance to get him while undercutting the scalpers.
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999155)
Posted by shajaki on December 16th, 2018 @ 7:43am CST
Y'know, I'm on board for this no trailer thing. Y'all know how many MP trailers I got layin around? :lol:
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999161)
Posted by Black Hat on December 16th, 2018 @ 9:13am CST
ANOTHER G1 Prime reissue? And the gun STILL has the handle in the wrong place?
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999166)
Posted by returnofplex on December 16th, 2018 @ 10:32am CST
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999167)
Posted by Lore Keeper on December 16th, 2018 @ 10:56am CST
returnofplex wrote:Someone looked up the SKU and the Wal Mart system had this at $49.99. I bought an extremely high quality(as good or better than the Hasbro reissues over the years), complete KO, in a G1 box for less than $40.00 SHIPPED from China to my door. I could see them praying on our nostalgia by doing it complete with trailer at $59.99, but this is ridiculous.

I think this is exactly what is going on here. HasTak are under the belief people will buy anything that plays into nostalgia for G1 Optimus (toy and cartoon). That's why we have a whole debate over the outlandish price of MP-44. The worst part of all of this is, they are right. So... many... people are going to cave and buy these regardless of the price. I'm sorry, but if I can buy Siege Optimus, who is a better toy in practically every way for $30, there is just no chance in hell this brick of a robot is worth $50. I know this is coming off as especially salty, but I've grown very tired of a retail toy company selling toys for far more than they're worth. $150 Primus anyone?
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999168)
Posted by Black Bumblebee on December 16th, 2018 @ 11:01am CST
If this guy sells for any more than $20 then it just isn't worth it. Let's face it, G1 Prime is one of the easiest figures to find on ebay as everyone has had one. The only thing that puts his price up is all the small little bits like a hose for roller or making sure that the trailer door isn't broken.

This, though? It has no extras. No nothing. Nothing special. As pointed out, he doesn't have the music label head. He doesn't have a matrix. He doesn't have blue tinted windows. He doesn't have a special back piece It's just a simple, basic, G1 Prime cab. If that's all you want... G1 cabs are available for uber cheap on ebay. Or at your local salvation army.
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999171)
Posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman on December 16th, 2018 @ 12:04pm CST
Well, it's the norm for reissues to be collectorflated at their starting price.

LoreKeeper, that $150 Primus wasn't just Hasbro. That was also TRU f***ery
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999172)
Posted by Lore Keeper on December 16th, 2018 @ 12:09pm CST
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:Well, it's the norm for reissues to be collectorflated at their starting price.

LoreKeeper, that $150 Primus wasn't just Hasbro. That was also TRU f***ery

I expect some level of mark ups on collector oriented figures, but there is a limit to what is reasonable. $50 for a little truck cab robot is not reasonable. One could argue it has the prestige of being the "original" one, but that's not really the case when this release comes with half of the toy.
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999174)
Posted by Wolfman Jake on December 16th, 2018 @ 12:22pm CST
I'm looking forward to this release, despite its hefty price tag. My G1 Optimus Prime in my collection right now is the 25th Anniversary one from the Universe 2008 line. I've already got the trailer and all of the accessories that come with it. The problem is, that was a sub-par Optimus Prime figure in the set, what with the off colors of red and blue and the short smoke stacks. Now I've got a chance to replace that with a more genuine reissue of the original toy, with the right red and blue colors, the original long smokestacks, and the retooled gun that fits right in his hands too! I might wait and see if he'll eventually go on deep discount like Hot Rod did, but I'll certainly be picking this release up.
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999178)
Posted by william-james88 on December 16th, 2018 @ 12:32pm CST

LoreKeeper, that $150 Primus wasn't just Hasbro. That was also TRU f***ery

It was not, it was 100% Hasbro. The cost per unit on TRU exclusives was really high, so TRU had to sell it at MSRP. Takara is doing the same thing with their Unicron of Light over in Japan and yet no one is batting an eye for some reason.
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999179)
Posted by carytheone on December 16th, 2018 @ 12:34pm CST
william-james88 wrote:

LoreKeeper, that $150 Primus wasn't just Hasbro. That was also TRU f***ery

Because Takara does no wrong and is premium >:oP
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999188)
Posted by hausjam on December 16th, 2018 @ 1:26pm CST
Reissue hot rod was or is selling for half price. This one may well also. If it does, I may pick one up. Even though I already have 3 g1 primes.
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999192)
Posted by ZeroWolf on December 16th, 2018 @ 1:46pm CST
carytheone wrote:
william-james88 wrote:

LoreKeeper, that $150 Primus wasn't just Hasbro. That was also TRU f***ery

Because Takara does no wrong and is premium >:oP

This is true and it's a myth that needs to be busted for good...i also completely forgot about Unicron of Light
Re: First look at G1 reissue Optimus Prime out of box (1999196)
Posted by DecepticonFinishline on December 16th, 2018 @ 2:14pm CST
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I missed out on it. Do these reissues have the same diecast as the original releases?

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #215 - New Year, New Toys
"New Year, New Toys"
Posted: Sunday, January 13th, 2019

Buy "Transformers Prime RID Robots in Disguise Deluxe Airachnid MOSC" on EBAY
Buy "Takara Tomy Transformers United UN22 G2 Laser Optimus Prime" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS G2 HOOLIGAN SKYJACK SPACE CASE MISSILE PART 1995 CYBERJETS" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse 1 Step Changer Soundwave Action Figure. Age 6+. NEW" on EBAY
Buy "FRENZY Transformers G2 Spy Changers Spychanger - Go-Bots 1995 100% complete" on EBAY
Buy "TransFormers DOTM Cyberverse Autobot POWERGLIDE action figure, Japanese version" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro G2 Transformers Autobots Dreadwing Figure 1993 Vintage Generation 2 Loose" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Original G2 Cyberjets Air Raid MOSC Sealed" on EBAY