Transformers News: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally

Friday, January 12th, 2018 5:46AM CST

Categories: Game News, Digital Media News
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 9,047

As we reported back before the end of the year (see the story here), Activision Transformers videogames War For Cybertron, Fall of Cybertron, Devastation, and Rise of the Dark Spark have been removed from multiple platform stores, such as Steam, XBox, and PlayStation.

Thanks to fellow Seibetronian Sunstar, we have now confirmation of the actual reason for the removal of the games, and it is exactly what numerous readers and players have suggested: the contract between Hasbro and Activision has expired. IGN has more information on the story, as you can read below, and you can follow this link for a longer piece hammering the point.

Hasbro confirmed to IGN its contract with Activision to publish Transformers games has expired. However, Hasbro is not at this time discussing what, if any, plans it might have for Transformers games on PC and consoles in the future. Multiple mobile games, including Transformers: Forged to Fight, are still ongoing, however.

IGN has reached out to Activision for more details about the contract expiration and will update this story should they respond.

[youtube][/youtube]
Credit(s): IGN
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931107)
Posted by frogbat on January 12th, 2018 @ 6:51am CST
Pity as I really enjoyed some of their recent output as it was quite G1 centric. Was hoping for a sequel to devastation.
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931109)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 12th, 2018 @ 7:04am CST
It doesn't come as much of a surprise, though I wonder who they'll grant the licence to now? Personally I would love to see a tactical game like the super robot wars/Fire Emblem/Advance Wars/ Valkryia Chronicles games. Handheld or switch, I'm easy
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931113)
Posted by Carnivius_Prime on January 12th, 2018 @ 8:39am CST
Yep that's what I thought. I like having Devastation and Dark Spark on my PS4. Wouldn't mind if something similar to Forged to Fight (in mixing and matching bots from various universes) would come out on console and still action (I dislike stuff like RPGs and turn based battle strategy things)
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931116)
Posted by Deadput on January 12th, 2018 @ 8:54am CST
I feel like this is the nail in the coffin when it comes to console Transformer games if the franchise continues down the road it is right now.

It's gonna be mobile games in the future since that's what makes the money these days. (Microtransactions is not something I think Transformers alone could handle as a console)
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931119)
Posted by Lore Keeper on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:06am CST
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931121)
Posted by mentre83 on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:09am CST
Luckily I managed to get them all during recent Steam sales. Great games, specially the High Moon Studios ones. The news is still a shame though, since I was hoping in a third chapter for that series.
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931122)
Posted by Deadput on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:12am CST
Lore Keeper wrote:I'm honestly ok with this, as I 've never liked Activision as a company anyway. They did give us the War for Cybertron series and Devastation, but the Aligned Continuity is all but abandoned (barring Rescue Bots), and Devastation appears to have been a one-shot. Plus, I believe High Moon Studios made WFC/FOC what it was, not Activision. That's why Rise of the Dark Spark was such a massive letdown.

There was also the film tie in games that existed.

I stand by my belief that ROTF on the Xbox/Playstation/PC is the best "Transformers" game that has been made since the transformation and such actually mattered in gameplay unlike the Cybertron games which were good games yes but gameplay wise they were generic third person shooters with Transformation as an afterthought.

Devastation had good game play as well on that matter but it also was a lot more lacking in comparison to ROTF in content. (Regardless if you like or hate the live action stuff this is objectively true)

Oh and the first movie's DS games were awesome too only held back by outdated graphics.
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931124)
Posted by Lore Keeper on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:16am CST
Deadput wrote:

There was also the film tie in games that existed.

I agree with your criticism on WFC/FOC's gameplay. For me, a great story in a game can outweigh flaws in gameplay (to an extent). That's probably why Legacy of Kain is my favorite game series. Not all of the entries had strong gameplay, but the story told by the games is a masterpiece to me.
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931132)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 12th, 2018 @ 9:47am CST
Lore Keeper wrote:
Deadput wrote:

There was also the film tie in games that existed.

The legacy of kain series never gets the respect it deserves...I wish soul reaver would get a HD remaster (based off the dreamcast version)

Still, I doubt we've seen the last of Transformers on consoles (as long as they don't go near loot boxes or any micro-transactions ever)
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931141)
Posted by frogbat on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:13am CST

As mentioned a while back would definitely love a TF themed command and conquer style game. TF's mining energon, fuelling their base expansions. Each level adds a level of complexity or special forces that add to your base. E.g wheeljack's special weapon labs... soundwave and blaster adds a comms base. The constructicons and grapple and hoist...

All the while building to a final showdown where the base trasnforms into metroplex or trypticon to launch a full scale assault on the enemy counterpart.

Ah well.
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931146)
Posted by Lore Keeper on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:24am CST
I've never been a fan of the free to play / pay to win model. I would rather pay a set price for a quality game and be able to play it without unnecessary wait times or random chance gambling schemes. I would play a lot more phone games if they worked in a more traditional gaming sense.
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931149)
Posted by Decepticon Stryker on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:27am CST
Deadput wrote:

Yes. Yes they were. Personally, I don't mind the graphics.

Anyway, I hope we will get console or handheld games again. I like Earth Wars, but it's still not as good as the other games like WFC and the 07 DS games.
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931160)
Posted by ZeroWolf on January 12th, 2018 @ 10:53am CST
frogbat wrote:I enjoyed the recent 2 mobile games though I prefer the full game model like the recent civ 6 release on the iPad.

Ah well.

Something like that would work better in the vein of Relic's Dawn of War games
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931217)
Posted by Megatron Wolf on January 12th, 2018 @ 1:46pm CST
ZeroWolf wrote:
Lore Keeper wrote:
Deadput wrote:

There was also the film tie in games that existed.

Id love to see a legacy of kain hd collection, at this point id settle for the sequel they were working on. Wont happen cause square enix is a shit company but one can hope. On the topic of dead franchises a parasite eve 3 or an hd remake in in the same vein as resident evil hd would be awesome.

As for transformers i highly doubt the games are dead, hasbro will find a new developer or make their own studio and continue to milk it to death. Also pretty damn sure they next game will be flooded with micro transactions that arent so micro and pay walls since thats the current trend. I am a bit disappointed that they removed all the digital stuff, was hoping dark spark would be in a $5 flash sale at some point. Im guessing people who own the digital stuff can still download them, i doubt ill play devastation again since it sucked but i paid for it and would still like to have the option.
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931258)
Posted by Blackstreak on January 12th, 2018 @ 8:03pm CST
Re: Hasbro and Activision Transformers Contract End Confirmed, Games No Longer Available Digitally (1931288)
Posted by durroth on January 13th, 2018 @ 7:31am CST
Blackstreak wrote:If you have those games installed on Steam don't uninstall them. Better to have them copied over to a spare drive just in case.

They've only been removed from the store. They can still be downloaded
Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Strongarm Figure" on AMAZON
You save: 61%
You save: 53%
You save: 36%
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Legends Class Dinobot Slash" on AMAZON
You save: 33%
You save: 25%
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations combiner wars deluxe protectobot groove" on AMAZON
You save: 20%