IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover

IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover

Saturday, July 7th, 2018 4:24am CDT

Categories: Comic Book News, Event News, Press Releases
Posted by: Va'al   Views: 19,118

Also on the San Diego Comic Con 2018 news front, we have the official press release from IDW Publishing directy, about their various exclusive items and variant covers for the show later in July. All the pre-orders have nothing to do with Transformers, so we've snipped out all the Jack Kirby stuff - if you're interested, take a browse on their official site - and enjoy a look at the Alex Milne wrap-around cover art for the deathbringer himself on the 1 in 500 cover for Unicron #1 below!

Note: we had already seen this image, but flipped. Stay tuned for more Unicron news from IDW Publishing during their panel at SDCC!

IDW Publishing Announces San Diego Comic-Con 2018 Exclusives

Six Highly-Anticipated Items Available for Pre-Order,
Plus Dozens More to Purchase Only at Booth #2743!

SAN DIEGO, CA (July 5, 2018) – San Diego Comic-Con International is fast approaching, and IDW is rolling out their hottest exclusives and debuts for the biggest convention of the year. See below for a full list of your convention must-haves, starting with a select few exclusives that can be pre-ordered from IDW’s web store. Subsequent items can only be purchased on-site, with no reservations available.

[...]

Enjoy this look at IDW’s complete selection of SDCC 2018 convention exclusives. These red-hot, limited items are only available to purchase at the show — no pre-order reservations are available. Stop by Booth #2743 for the best pop culture exclusives that San Diego has to offer!

Transformers: Unicron #1
Cover by Alex Milne
$10, limited to 500 copies
The end is nigh as Transformers Unicron #1 descends onto the San Diego Comic Con! Get this convention artist of Unicron’s true form as drawn by series artist Alex Milne!

Transformers News: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover

Credit(s): IDW

This article was last modified on Tuesday, July 10th, 2018 7:34am CDT

Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969261)
Posted by Randomhero on July 7th, 2018 @ 6:14am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:So primus vs unicron it is though I was expecting more back story then that and I am wondering if there's more than what's being said. Also I thought they had no info on him...

There’s gotta be more. Probably the final issue of the Falling because optimus is saying this like he knows all this but in issue 0 they say his name and everyone-Optimus especially- is like “who? What is this thing?” And here it’s “so here’s unicron, hes robot Satan, our god Primus fought and defeated him” so I imagine the falling ends with a ton of exposition by shockwave. And look! You can see shockwaves ship under unicron which is kinda bumming because that means shockwave is allied with him? Maybe it’s just ledge Maximo? I can hope.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969269)
Posted by Randomhero on July 7th, 2018 @ 6:55am CDT
I just realized I thought that was Cybertron he’s approaching and thought “well that was quick” that’s caminus!” The gas giant behind it was throwing me off and the fact it’s a metal world but no, that’s caminus.

Also Primus is totally colored wrong.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969282)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 7th, 2018 @ 8:49am CDT
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969284)
Posted by Randomhero on July 7th, 2018 @ 9:19am CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:I didn't see shockwaves ship there, good catch. Is the falling finished in this issue of op?

Unfortunately no there’s like 2 issues left. The scheduling is really bad right now. They should just delay unicro . The 2 issues a month was canceled so we’re kinda getting an overlapping story here not unlike Revelation/all hail megatron/maximum dinobits and that suuuuuuucked so bad ten years ago

I think we can conclude Antilla and Unicron are one in the same. Didn’t seem coincidence that Anitlla orbits a black hole and unicron awakens around one and has a very organic body.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969285)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on July 7th, 2018 @ 9:25am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote: Unless they suddenly drop the ball and lean heavy into the naff Primus/Unicron angle.

I called it... How incredibly disappointing and EXTREMELY lazy of Roberts. I might drop my subscription to this series now :(
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969286)
Posted by Randomhero on July 7th, 2018 @ 9:30am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

Roberts isn’t the writer...
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969303)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on July 7th, 2018 @ 11:43am CDT
Randomhero wrote:
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

Roberts isn’t the writer...

#-o Shouldn't flick between two tabs while writing... :oops:

Oh well, I suppose this hammers home why the Reboot came to be in the first place. D-Void may have been terrible, but at least it was something different. Much like the previously stated reinvention of Thunderwing, Overlord etc
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969305)
Posted by Randomhero on July 7th, 2018 @ 11:49am CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:

Roberts isn’t the writer...

#-o Shouldn't flick between two tabs while writing... :oops:

Not really. D-void was just unicron that wasn’t called unicron. Anti-life godlike being that was sleeping till it woke up and screamed I hunger and used Galvatron, scourge and Cyclonus as proxy’s to destroy cybertron and all life in the universe.

Yeeeeeeeah...very different.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969307)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on July 7th, 2018 @ 11:51am CDT
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969311)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 7th, 2018 @ 12:25pm CDT
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:I was thinking more conceptually, as a Gestalt of Sweeps. Clearly a lot of that era had been omitted from memory. :-?

Was probably on purpose ;-) chaos wasn't that great. Imagine if barber was able to retcon d-void into being an aspect of unicron?

This does seem very bad scheduling, aside from completism, there's no point in the storyline as you know the fates of characters before its revealed.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969326)
Posted by Randomhero on July 7th, 2018 @ 1:07pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:

Well the DeceptiGod wasn’t even d-void. It just used the energies of Cybertron and the decepticon loyalty of all the Decepticons to its advantage to force the Decepticons to combine. It was just a pawn too.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969432)
Posted by Zephyr101 on July 8th, 2018 @ 3:11am CDT
I'll buy it when it comes out for sure, I still highly enjoy IDW's TF comics, but much like with Unicron #0 I probably won't be reading it until it lines up with the latest issue of Optimus Prime.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969489)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on July 8th, 2018 @ 3:02pm CDT
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969513)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 8th, 2018 @ 6:12pm CDT
Daniel Adkins wrote:Guys, just because Optimus Prime tells the "story" of Unicron, that doesn't make it true. Hell, we still don't know whether or not the Guiding Hand was real or not. Especially when the solicit for issue 3 literally says the character discover what Unicron is.

Problem is this story jars with what was said in unicron 0 where no one knew him. Also it's a bit daft to tell one tale which the characters have never heard of just to do a fake out and say: "hah that wasn't real!" Plus I think unicron 3 may just reveal that unicron is a giant tf.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969560)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on July 8th, 2018 @ 9:56pm CDT
ZeroWolf wrote:

EXCEPT for the fact that one of the biggest recurring themes in this universe is that myths, legends, and religions ARE FALSE. From the Guiding Hand to the Thirteen, every major myth or legend about Cybertron is at best unconfirmed and at worst outright revealed to be lies.
As for Unicron #0, if I may compare it to my own religion for a second, if I saw a firey wheel with wings and eyes all over it, I would say “holy crap, what the hell is that?” I of course know that flaming wheel with wings and eyes is a description of a Biblical angel (seriously, look it up) but that wouldn’t be the first thought to pop in my head. I 100% believe that everyone took Unicron as “a giant fricking planet is eating another planet.” Before they thought about a religion that most of the bots on board don’t even practice.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969586)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 9th, 2018 @ 2:13am CDT
To be fair, the necrobot turned out to be true ;-) I do understand what your saying but it's a dangerous thing to keep pulling the same trick. Though having thought about it, the legends have been true in a sense, i mean the thirteen existed, it's just that shockwave created them.

If all this means though they are going the primacon route though then I'll not be happy. I'll happily take him as the robo satan then the creation of a monkey.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969593)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on July 9th, 2018 @ 4:45am CDT
No offense, ZeroWolf, but I think you’re letting your knowledge of past lore cloud your judgement. You assume it’s going to be Primus vs Unicron, you assume it’s going to be Primacron, but the one thing you don’t assume is that it’s just going to be something new.

Honestly, I’m so tired of TF fandom never wanting anything new. Everything has to be an homage or a reference or pulled from something else. Especially when the IDW universe has always predicated itself on reinventing and subverting character interpretations: Galvatron isn’t Megatron, Elita One is a ruthless warlord, Ultra Magnus is tiny dude with a mustache. And it’s by thinking outside the box that IDW has been so successful.
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969595)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 9th, 2018 @ 5:58am CDT
Oh I love new things, I'm a staunch defender of the new characters we got in combiner wars, even if they never got a chance to shine like Rook, and alpha bravo. However I can easily see hasbro leaning in here and giving advice on what to do with unicron. I want to be wrong, I want a new take but I'm pessimistic in what's going to happen. Id much prefer a more lovecraftian approach to unicron.

Now that issue aside there's been something else that's been making me think. We know from future solicitations that the dire wraiths are stadding against the bots but the bestial army comment in this preview makes me wonder if all the beast formers that were with onyx wave are now working for unicron...
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969598)
Posted by Daniel Adkins on July 9th, 2018 @ 7:27am CDT
Uh, we actually have had NO word on Dire Wraiths appearing in this at all. Now, there are those guys who have Unicron horns that make them resemble Vekktral and his crew, but they actually shapeshifted to distinguish himself from the other Dire Wraiths (becuase Alex Milne just felt like drawing something different.) As a reminder, here’s what Dire Wraiths are actually supposed to look like. Image
Re: IDW Exclusive #SDCC2018 Transformers: Unicron #1 Alex Milne Cover (1969610)
Posted by ZeroWolf on July 9th, 2018 @ 8:23am CDT
Okay that's a little confusing but thank you for the clear up :-)

Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #286 - They Might Be Giants
"They Might Be Giants"
Posted: Friday, October 8th, 2021

Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Autobot TAILGATE and GROUNDBUSTER" on EBAY
Buy "1985 SCRAPPER G1 TAKARA TRANSFORMERS CONSTRUCTICON (DEVASTATOR) HASBRO DECPTICON" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Optimus Prime Western Star 5700XE Jada" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Action figures - Brand new sealed" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Battle Masters Siege War CALIBURST Takara Tomy B" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse Adventures Thunderhowl Figure 2021 MOC Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers R.I.D Firebot Dive Bomb & Instructions Evacuate Override Buzzsaw…" on EBAY
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Trypticon Action Figure (B0773)" on EBAY