Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3

Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3

Sunday, January 24th, 2021 4:36pm CST

Categories: Comic Book News, People News
Posted by: ZeroWolf   Views: 27,722

Greetings Seibertronians! Following the posting of April 2021 IDW comic solicitations here, freelance artist Josh Perez took to his Twitter Account to give fans an extra treat! The artist posted a clean look at his cover for issue #3 of IDW’S Transformers: Beast Wars ongoing! The cover is the Retailer Incentive, meaning that it is included for every ten copies a comic book store orders in.

The art work shows off all the major characters in the comic so far.

Transformers News: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3

This is what Josh wrote in the tweet accompanying the image:

Josh Perez wrote:My cover for #IDW's #BeastWars issue 3 was shown off in solicitations: /transformers/news/idw-transformers-comics-april-2021-solicitations/45615/
I figured I'd post the cover sans logos and stuff! Was a lot of fun and I really appreciate getting to do another cover for Transformers! (I wanted to wait a little but I got excited)

What do you think of the cover? Are you going to be trying out this series? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!

Credit(s): Josh Perez Twitter Account

Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2093539)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on January 24th, 2021 @ 4:38pm CST
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2093543)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 24th, 2021 @ 4:58pm CST
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:What is it about the proportions of Primal that look so.. off, with this picture? :-?
He's certainly a wide load.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2093563)
Posted by TK415 on January 24th, 2021 @ 7:46pm CST
Anyone know or have a guess as to what kind of animal the new predacon is?
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2093564)
Posted by Sabrblade on January 24th, 2021 @ 8:05pm CST
TK415 wrote:Anyone know or have a guess as to what kind of animal the new predacon is?
You mean Skold? She's a turtle. A virtual redeco of Snapper.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2093566)
Posted by TK415 on January 24th, 2021 @ 9:37pm CST
Awesome! Thanks Sabrblade! I had missed that.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094167)
Posted by william-james88 on February 1st, 2021 @ 11:29pm CST
A Review of Beast Wars #1

There may be spoilers to those who never watched the first episode of Beast Wars

I often see older fans ask for a straight up G1 reboot that is as close to possible to the original and I always think it would serve of no use. We already have lots of G1 reboots (like Cyberverse and Netflix's WFC) and if that's not G1 enough for you, then the original show is still there. With this first issue of Beast Wars, all that is reinforced for me. I am a huge Beast Wars fan and I never needed a remake of the first episode's opening segment. And yet, now we have one. So yeah, if you watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode of Beast Wars, very little in the comic will feel new. And the fact that it has random new characters makes that even more odd. So it's a faithful retelling, only not, which just makes it feel off. To all the Beast Wars fans out there, let me know if this scene rings a bell?

Most of the characterizations are as you'd imagine, with Optimus Primal being the one with the biggest change. He is far more of a hot head here, hoping for something exciting to happen and a shoot first kind of guy. That difference was interesting, as was seeing Megatron get the golden disk (though fans had already seen the Club's take on that in the past as well). There isn't much in terms of story beyond that since as soon as they get their beast modes, the issue just stops. What we get in terms of story is not bad at all, but it is a complete retread so that we can proceed to more stories within the exact same premise. I am pretty sure that the following issues will be different stories than what we saw (at least not as identical) but the fact that we had to go through all the motions again wasn't exciting. Especially not with this art accompanying it.

So let's get to the art. As with the story itself, it is not bad, at all. As a sequential artist, Josh Burcham is a beast (ha!), and I really liked seeing all the characters in their cybertronian bodies first. I's something I always wanted to see in the original show and it was fun guessing who is who.

All that good stuff aside, I just didn't feel this Scotty Young type art style was the right fit. It also feels very bare. The backgrounds themselves were rather bland in this comic. And the lack of detail simply does not work with the organic beast modes, some of which look terrible (especially the new Nyx character). There's a part dedicated to explaining the fur found on Primal's gorilla body and yet all we see is just black with some non contrasting flecks. It felt like the writing was at odds with the art or Burcham simply took too much on by providing every aspect of the art from "penciling" to colouring.

In the end, the issue was ok. Not great, but not bad either. Nothing new or exciting for me as a Beast Wars fan but I will definitely give it a chance since I can see how the repetition here could be a necessary evil to set up a similar premise to the show we all love. And the art is the same as the cover we have seen for months. If you were not on board then this issue won't change your mind.

I give this issue 3 gorilla hairs out of 5
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094168)
Posted by Sabrblade on February 1st, 2021 @ 11:44pm CST

The show had to grow to get good, which I expect will be a similar case for this series.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094169)
Posted by william-james88 on February 1st, 2021 @ 11:59pm CST
Sabrblade wrote:In the spirit of fairness, the pilot episode of Beast Wars wasn't that spectacular either, with it mostly being about how Cheetor is an idjit, Rattrap is a jerk, and Optimus is a frustrated noob. And I say that as both a diehard BW fan and one whose favorite character as a child was Cheetor.

Yes that's fair. And when this series gets good, I'll rate it as such.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094176)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on February 2nd, 2021 @ 3:22am CST
I gotta say, the art is a turn off. The angular style just doesn't work for organic characters. If they had stayed in their robot modes for the duration, it would be less distracting, but as it is, it just doesn't fit. Hopefully the quality of the story will overcome it in future issues. I really want to give this title a chance, but I'm cautious.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094177)
Posted by Nemesis Maximo on February 2nd, 2021 @ 3:30am CST
It’s like, if it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it.

Beast Wars is already pretty frikkin perfect, I don’t understand why we need a reboot series. Why not a sequel series that isn’t Beast Machines? That’d be rad.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094197)
Posted by angtre on February 2nd, 2021 @ 7:39am CST
The art style is a turn off, however I'll give it a couple of issues. Still for the time being, I feel like a Quintesson Judge.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094207)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on February 2nd, 2021 @ 8:29am CST
Nemesis Maximo wrote:It’s like, if it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it.

^ 100% this.

I did speculate earlier that this all sounded ominously like reruns. The fact that a cover for one of the later solicitations looks like 'The Web', but with Bat-Girl in place of Cheetor. That doesn't bode well.

I'd already pre-ordered issue one. I think I'll go to issue two before deciding to drop it, or not.

Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094211)
Posted by Immortal Starscream on February 2nd, 2021 @ 8:43am CST
I think it is a neat reboot, all things considered. my only criticisms here were already covered in the review, but I will echo them anyway. Primal feels off. Kind of how Netflix's Prime feels off, but not near as bad. The art style really bugs me. its not bad, not by a long shot. (this can be seen as facetious, given how... not great the original beast wars animation has aged) The art here is clearly brining the A-game, but it feels like the wrong choice for our beastie-bots. I get very "Transformers Animated" vibes from it. (I loved animated btw, so it's not a dig on that style)
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094214)
Posted by TulioDude on February 2nd, 2021 @ 8:50am CST
Not feeling the art.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094215)
Posted by D-Maximal_Primal on February 2nd, 2021 @ 8:56am CST
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094216)
Posted by ZeroWolf on February 2nd, 2021 @ 9:10am CST
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Just coming in to say that, as a long time fan of Burcham's art, I really do like it. clearly I am in disagreement with most here, but I do like the art. And honestly, gorilla mode Primal to me looks good and I like it, especially the fur in the fingers when he's rubbing his arm.

I agree with you D-Max, I was just coming to say the same thing. I enjoy this art, the resemblance to Animated, one of the best entries in the franchise, makes it all the better.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094218)
Posted by william-james88 on February 2nd, 2021 @ 9:25am CST
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:As most here have been saying for a while, this artstyle really doesn't fit with Beast Wars. That Gorilla Mode image, really hammers that home.

And you didn't see the worst one yet

Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094219)
Posted by AllNewSuperRobot on February 2nd, 2021 @ 9:28am CST
william-james88 wrote:

And you didn't see the worst one yet

Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094222)
Posted by ScottyP on February 2nd, 2021 @ 10:20am CST
I thought it was really darn good. Haven't had this much fun reading a Transformers comic in a long time now. The writing is expressive, the art elevates both the story and characters and the creative team's love really shines through. The beast forms are jarring at first, yeah. They're supposed to be. Cybertronians just got faux-realistic-animal alt modes, it's weird, yep, but also part of the charm.

Even if you're not crazy about the designs themselves, the art is more expressive and has better sequential work than anything in the Ruckley books. Not being tied down by toy designs really helps.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents as another staff member while leaving things a bit vague to avoid spoilers. I think anyone that enjoyed Beast Wars will really like this take on it, so far it's the same general story but with a lot more detail and some (so far) minor differences.
Re: Josh Perez Shares Clean Retailer Incentive Cover Art For IDW Beast Wars #3 (2094223)
Posted by o.supreme on February 2nd, 2021 @ 10:38am CST
william-james88 wrote:I often see older fans ask for a straight up G1 reboot that is as close to possible to the original and I always think it would serve of no use. We already have lots of G1 reboots (like Cyberverse and Netflix's WFC) and if that's not G1 enough for you, then the original show is still there. With this first issue of Beast Wars, all that is reinforced for me.

There is a huge difference however in that The original Series was left unfinished. There are so many characters not introduced, and so many time periods to explore (War on Cybertron, 20 year gap between S2 and TFTM, post Rebirth etc...). Fans don't WANT a reboot, as that has been done, and each one is a splinter, still NOT the Original Series. What fans want is a continuation.

BW was a completed story. Beginning, Middle, End and was quite satisfactory , it even got a 2 year addendum in Beast Machines while not as well liked, still extended the lives of those characters longer. Yes we still have those original 98 episodes, and TFTM. Nothing will ever take that away. But in 37 years, no matter how many split universe "takes" have been made on The Original Transformers, we still have yet to return to that original universe, and we are still waiting.

For what it's worth I actually enjoyed The Gathering/Ascending series (IDW first attempt at BW), as it was different, and wasn't a retelling of the completed show. I can understand peoples resistance to this new series.

Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #270 - An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster
"An Ox, a Seagull and a Monster"
Posted: Sunday, February 14th, 2021

Buy "2009 Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen Deluxe Bludgeon" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Siege Skywarp Phantomstrike  Squadron WFC-S27 War For Cybertron" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Cyberverse scout Bumblebee Megatron Optimus Prime Starscream lot 4" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers SIEGE War For Cybertron,FIREDRIVE,TOPSHOT&FLAK,BLACKJACK&HYPERDRIVE" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Sideswipe" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Cliffjumper Cyberverse NIB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers RID Destructicon BLUDGEON Tank w/ Launcher, MOSC/New (2003 Hasbro)" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Firedrive - New- Bent Package" on EBAY