Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU

Transformers News: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU

Thursday, May 3rd, 2018 5:27PM CDT

Category: Digital Media News
Posted by: WreckerJack   Views: 18,376

A while ago we let our readers know that season 2 of The Toys That Made Us will be releasing on May 25th. The video embedded below features Hasbro Product Design Manager John Warden (He has helped to design many Combiner Wars figures as well as some from Age of Extinction). While we don't see either in this particular trailer, Peter Cullen and Seibertron himself will be in the episode. Stay tuned!

Credit(s): facebook.com
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1958380)
Posted by Va'al on May 9th, 2018 @ 3:14am CDT
The official Facebook page for the Netflix show The Toys that Made Us - which will be airing its second half of the first season on May 25th, and willfinally include the Transformers episode (featuring our site owner Seibertron himself, too!) - did a live Facebook stream session focusing on the favourite toys that the cast and crew of the documentary still think fondly about.

Using the Hasbro Unicron prototype from the 1980s to promote the stream, and all to drum up interest in the upcoming episodes and next season planned, the clip can now be seen in full and we've embedded it below - featuring the likes of GI Joe, Tech Deck, and Manglor Mountain. Check it out!

Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1958442)
Posted by ScottyP on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:02am CDT
Using that Unicron in the promos is a little weird to me. "The Toys That Made Us" just not this one, they canceled it. It's making us theoretical money, that's all.

Minor quibble, I should note. The casual viewer will see that and say "oh yeah Unicron I had that one yeah I 'member" and be none the wiser :)
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1958446)
Posted by Cobotron on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:35am CDT
ScottyP wrote:Using that Unicron in the promos is a little weird to me. "The Toys That Made Us" just not this one, they canceled it.

Yeah! It's "The Toys That Made Us" not, "The Toys That Never Made It". :lol:
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1958455)
Posted by o.supreme on May 9th, 2018 @ 11:57am CDT

I know this is a bit OT, but I kind of wish we had gotten the prototype proposed from the Japanese BW Neo series (that never made it beyond a gray model), rather than the Armada one, that has been the template for most Unicrons thereafter.
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1959422)
Posted by ScottyP on May 14th, 2018 @ 1:23pm CDT
o.supreme wrote:Just curious, of the two Unicron Prototypes that have been seen over the years this one (pictured above) is the one more often seen. Appearing at past botcons etc... I wonder...does someone actually own it? Or is it part of a Hasbro Museum (of sorts) and is just featured at cons, and, of course, this documentary.
I recall from the tour of Hasbro (what they could show) during Botcon 2007 that they have archival pieces here and there around the facility, such as one of the handmade original Monopoly boards. I've always assumed the Unicron samples (there are 2 or 3?) were like that and just kept in a case somewhere in Rhode Island. That's never been confirmed, just my best guess at its status.
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961443)
Posted by Va'al on May 25th, 2018 @ 12:38am CDT
If you're reading this in a timezone where it's already Friday May 25th, the tenses used in this post may not make sense, but the official Facebook page for the Netflix documentary The Toys That Made Us has sent out a reminder that the second part of the first season (though they sometimes call it second season themselves) is due on the streaming service on the 25th - so tomorrow is in fact today!

The four episodes due for upload will feature Lego, Star Trek, Hello Kitty, and the brand we've all been waiting to see on screen, Transformers! Spanning across multiple media, from the Michael Bay live action movies, the Marvel comics with Bob Budiansky, the toys over at Takara Tomy and Hasbro, and the cartoons with Peter Cullen and others, plus our very own Seibertron, the episode is looking to be extremely entertaining. Give it a look once it's live, and come back to the Energon Pub to share your thoughts!

TOMORROW!
Season 2 of #TTTMU airs on Netflix on May 25!

Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961457)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 25th, 2018 @ 2:04am CDT
It;s up on my netflix right now (it's finally midnight here) so I am gonna go watch!!
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961464)
Posted by Burn on May 25th, 2018 @ 4:57am CDT
Watched it, enjoyed it, though I probably hyped myself up too much for it.

There was definitely stuff I didn't know, particularly how it really all harkens back to the early G.I. Joe figures.

Now I'm trapped watching Hello Kitty ... damn this series makes everything fascinating.
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961466)
Posted by Va'al on May 25th, 2018 @ 5:12am CDT
Debating over whether I should go mooch off a friend this weekend, or wait till I get to Japan next week and use my partner's account to watch these. :-?
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961470)
Posted by ausbot on May 25th, 2018 @ 5:49am CDT
I want that VHS transformer.
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961516)
Posted by YoungPrime on May 25th, 2018 @ 10:48am CDT

I guess I wouldn't have been so disappointed with this if it didn't take like 2 years to finally release it.
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961522)
Posted by Va'al on May 25th, 2018 @ 11:15am CDT
YoungPrime wrote:Well..... This felt like 45mins of stuff they've already explained over the years at toy fairs, comic Conventions and online interviews.

I mean, it is for wider public and/or more casual audience..!
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961559)
Posted by o.supreme on May 25th, 2018 @ 4:50pm CDT
ausbot wrote:I want that VHS transformer.

Same here. I never knew that even existed! :lol: . What the episode had was great. I would not take anything away from it. However they just kind of skipped from briefly mentioning Beast Wars to jumping straight to the live action film, almost a 20 year gap there, they could have filled maybe 5 or 6 minuets talking about the differences of the toys in international markets. Highlighting fan conventions etc..., after all the SW episode was 51 minuets, while all the others are about 45. Oh well, who knows, if the series goes on for long enough we may get a 2nd Transfomrers episode.

Ryan, it was good to see you. very well done ;)^ .
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961589)
Posted by william-james88 on May 25th, 2018 @ 10:59pm CDT
ausbot wrote:I want that VHS transformer.

Yeah, me too, that thing looked awesome!

Loved the episode. And even though I knew a lot of this stuff, now i have it all condensed with the best visuals yet. And Ryan is a natural.

I love those Takara guys (and Larry Hama, what a champ!)
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961639)
Posted by Va'al on May 26th, 2018 @ 8:03am CDT
We're working on a staff roundtable review of the episode, stay tuned for more this weekend! :D
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961644)
Posted by shajaki on May 26th, 2018 @ 9:10am CDT
Felt it was overhyped (my own fault not theirs) and I was hoping it would be as funny as the He-man episode. Also I feel it could have been twice as long, but TF's are my jam so that opinion is to be expected.

However I was surprised how much was in there that even I didn't know. I'm no Sabre, but I think my knowledge is pretty extensive. It was great to see the Takara guys, and Cullen. And one thing I love about this show is their ability to find the people who were the inner workings of these creations.

I think what I like most about it, is this is something I can really simply point to to explain my obsession to outsiders. I sat down and watched it with my gf last night :lol:
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961689)
Posted by WreckerJack on May 26th, 2018 @ 6:16pm CDT
I enjoyed it a lot. Ryan's story with the go-bot was probably the best part. I think that they focused more on a lot of the things that I already knew about the design process but that is perfectly fine. I think that newer fans or people who just didn't know all of the details of how Transformers came to be probably got a lot out of watching and that is important!

I do wish that they gave us more insight from fans and collectors about their favorite pieces. I would really like to know what being a TF fan in the 1980's was like. I wish that there was more talk about bot con and the effect that the fans had on Transformers to keep things going.
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961692)
Posted by Burn on May 26th, 2018 @ 6:26pm CDT
WreckerJack wrote:I do wish that they gave us more insight from fans and collectors about their favorite pieces.

I'd rather see that as it's own series. This is more about how the toys came to be, with a balanced contribution from the fans on how it impacted them.
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961762)
Posted by huryochagi on May 27th, 2018 @ 4:30am CDT
It was an entertaining show, but I noticed that Marvel took all the credits. They totally ignored the contributions of Toei Animation, AKOM, Nelson Shin and Shoji Kawamori while they showed their creations: the commercial animations, the cartoon and Jetfire. Sunbow was also missing. I also felt like Hasbro tried to take credit for TF by linking G.I. Joe to TF because of that toy mold, which was intentionally too far-fetched. They talked about the Michael Bay stuff, but didn’t mention the MP figures and the G1 reissues.
Re: Netflix Documentary The Toys That Made Us Season 2 Trailer Online! #TTTMU (1961763)
Posted by Burn on May 27th, 2018 @ 4:56am CDT
huryochagi wrote:They talked about the Michael Bay stuff, but didn’t mention the MP figures and the G1 reissues.

They skipped a number of lines to bring up the live action movies, and even then, that was brief just to say how far Transformers had come since Hasbro made a licensing deal with Takara in the 80's

Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Armada Megatron Figure" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #211 - On The Prowl
"On The Prowl"
Posted: Sunday, November 4th, 2018

Buy "Transformers g1 universe gold bumblebee goldbug great shape" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS FALL OF CYBERTRON FOC SOUNDBLASTER 100% COMPLETE! VOYAGER CLASS" on EBAY
Buy "PLAYSKOOL HEROES FLIP RACERS TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS HOIST THE TOW-BOT" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Fall of Cybertron G2 Bruticus MISB" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Voyager Bulkhead" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Arcee with 3 blades" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Starscream with painted missiles" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime First Edition Deluxe Bumblebee with dual blaster" on EBAY