New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight

New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight

Saturday, June 24th, 2017 7:53pm CDT

Categories: Movie Related News, People News, Interviews
Posted by: D-Maximal_Primal   Views: 14,473

Topic Options: View Discussion · Sign in or Join to reply

The Hollywood Reporter has published a new interview, this time with Jerrod Carmichael, who plays Jimmy in Transformers: The Last Knight. During the interview, Jerrod talks about how The Last Knight was a big learning experience, as he actually had to change a joke he had created because it would not translate well in other languages. He also talks about how money is a factor in bringing actors together, but how having the fun they did on set was also a good way to bring them together. He also refers to Sir Anthony Hopkins as "C-Hop" and Hopkins actually responds to it. Check out the full interview by following the link above, and catch a few snippets below.

118-degree heat in Arizona sounds like a pretty rough first day.

But it was nice because sometimes you feel so sterile in these sound stages, just standing around and holding green tea. We were sweating and running and it felt like a real experience. And Michael Bay is such a hands-on director — he’s sprinkling dirt on people’s faces and handling the smoke machine and the camera and the lights.

.....

Was there anything that you weren’t expecting about blockbuster filmmaking?

Running was a surprise. It was a great deal of running — and I mean long-distance running. Because there are helicopters capturing [the scene]. We are outside of Stonehenge and Mike’s on a bullhorn like "I need you run from over here to over there." And that’s just take one so he goes "Okay, do it again!" It’s truthfully the most I ever worked out before in my life.

.....

Has seeing Michael Bay at work inspired you to try filmmaking yourself?

Filmmaking is unique in that you craft everything around it — the lighting, the dialogue, the scenery, the perspective — and I’m infatuated with that now and it’s where a lot of my attention has been as of late. I think that now more than ever you have to be cautious of doing something because you can versus doing something because you can contribute to it. I am still figuring out exactly how I can contribute, as a director. But I want to make sure that in doing it it’s not just because I could, because that is not a good enough reason. You owe audiences more than that.

Credit(s): Hollywood Reporter


News Search

Got Transformers News? Let us know here!

Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892131)
Posted by william-james88 on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:14pm CDT
Rodimus Prime wrote:Also, is it just me or did Optimus get the most cringeworthy lines in the entire movie?

His lines were pretty cringeworthy. But I found Nitro Zeus had some cringeworthy ones too (sleeping with your wife, wtf?!) as well as Mark Wahlberg and some of the young boys.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892137)
Posted by TheDen on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:25pm CDT
Sooo... what's up all. New to the forum. Longtime reader, just never joined. Lifelong TF fan. Decade-long lover of the TF movies, while at the same time pulling my hair out about them for many of the very reasons often discussed.

So... Megatron. Was essentially a chemistry experiment in AoE. Basically a brain in the jar, somehow used to power a remote control robot named Galvatron. Wasn't killed in that movie. Shows up in this movie as Megatron... again.

Did I miss an explanation offered up in TLK about how the hell that lil transition happened, or were we just supposed to write that significant part of the story for ourselves as we watched? Just making sure I didn't miss something, or if this was yet another unconnected dot in the TF series.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892138)
Posted by william-james88 on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:36pm CDT
TheDen wrote:Did I miss an explanation offered up in TLK about how the hell that lil transition happened, or were we just supposed to write that significant part of the story for ourselves as we watched? Just making sure I didn't miss something, or if this was yet another unconnected dot in the TF series.

It is yet another unconnected dot in the TF series. But thanks for joining the site, feel free to discuss the parts you did like about the film :) (or disliked)
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892140)
Posted by JazZeke on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:36pm CDT
So, remember when Bay got some deserved flak for redecoing Winston Churchill's home in Nazi regalia and he said "wait til you see the movie to reserve judgement, Churchill is actually a big hero in the movie"?

Yeah, it was exactly as tasteless as the fandom thought it would be and Churchill barely even got a namedrop.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892141)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:38pm CDT
TheDen wrote:Sooo... what's up all. New to the forum. Longtime reader, just never joined. Lifelong TF fan. Decade-long lover of the TF movies, while at the same time pulling my hair out about them for many of the very reasons often discussed.

So... Megatron. Was essentially a chemistry experiment in AoE. Basically a brain in the jar, somehow used to power a remote control robot named Galvatron. Wasn't killed in that movie. Shows up in this movie as Megatron... again.

Did I miss an explanation offered up in TLK about how the hell that lil transition happened, or were we just supposed to write that significant part of the story for ourselves as we watched? Just making sure I didn't miss something, or if this was yet another unconnected dot in the TF series.


They said Megatron had been gone for a while in between AOE and TLK. And in the movie, he has that red Quintessa mark on his face. I'm assuming she got in contact with him and gave him his identity back.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892144)
Posted by TheDen on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:43pm CDT
Which, in essence, confirms they left it to you to fill in the plot holes yourself.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892147)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 24th, 2017 @ 10:56pm CDT
JazZeke wrote:So, remember when Bay got some deserved flak for redecoing Winston Churchill's home in Nazi regalia and he said "wait til you see the movie to reserve judgement, Churchill is actually a big hero in the movie"?

Yeah, it was exactly as tasteless as the fandom thought it would be and Churchill barely even got a namedrop.


There's nothing wrong with what he did at all.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892148)
Posted by JazZeke on June 24th, 2017 @ 11:00pm CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:
JazZeke wrote:So, remember when Bay got some deserved flak for redecoing Winston Churchill's home in Nazi regalia and he said "wait til you see the movie to reserve judgement, Churchill is actually a big hero in the movie"?

Yeah, it was exactly as tasteless as the fandom thought it would be and Churchill barely even got a namedrop.


There's nothing wrong with what he did at all.

So you don't think there's anything wrong with decorating the home of one of Britain's most respected leaders with the iconography of his hated enemies, an iconography representative and hatred and genocide?

Think very carefully before you answer.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892152)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 25th, 2017 @ 12:15am CDT
Just a reminder to you guys that opinions will be different as everyone has his/her own perspective. Even though you may not agree, be respectful toward each other.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892198)
Posted by Stuartmaximus on June 25th, 2017 @ 9:05am CDT
Actually since watching the movie.....i didn't think it was as bad as some were making it out to be

YES! it wasn't any better nor worse than the previous ones

YES! some action scenes did feel very cluttered

YES! some characters in it appeared in some parts of the film & disappeared for great chunks of the movie before briefly returning! or other characters (that you wanted!) didn't have enough screentime

YES! there were some TF's that we never saw their transformations....or transformed at allCogman's Headmaster gimmick was never shown(thank heavens for the toys...or at least the DLX or Voy Class fig) in the film...prob cut?...& if so! it'll no doubt turn up in the deleted scenes on the Blu Ray, we never saw Onslaught's alt mode! even though we saw pics of it in the run up to the movie! in fact...he was barely in the movie & he got offed!

& YES! the whole UNICRON thing! which is obvious by now...been inspired by TF Prime & is obviously a set up for a future movie(TF 6?) & prob more about that character!(although a bit pissed off that they release a PRIMUS repaint! but NO....UNICRON repainted figure? at least for this movieline! even though we got a recent Platinum Edition one....but...maybe they're holding off on a movieline repainted figure for Transformers 6? or whatever?
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892210)
Posted by SlyTF1 on June 25th, 2017 @ 10:57am CDT
JazZeke wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
JazZeke wrote:So, remember when Bay got some deserved flak for redecoing Winston Churchill's home in Nazi regalia and he said "wait til you see the movie to reserve judgement, Churchill is actually a big hero in the movie"?

Yeah, it was exactly as tasteless as the fandom thought it would be and Churchill barely even got a namedrop.


There's nothing wrong with what he did at all.

So you don't think there's anything wrong with decorating the home of one of Britain's most respected leaders with the iconography of his hated enemies, an iconography representative and hatred and genocide?


Nope.

It depends entirely on the context.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892235)
Posted by JazZeke on June 25th, 2017 @ 12:54pm CDT
SlyTF1 wrote:
JazZeke wrote:
SlyTF1 wrote:
JazZeke wrote:So, remember when Bay got some deserved flak for redecoing Winston Churchill's home in Nazi regalia and he said "wait til you see the movie to reserve judgement, Churchill is actually a big hero in the movie"?

Yeah, it was exactly as tasteless as the fandom thought it would be and Churchill barely even got a namedrop.


There's nothing wrong with what he did at all.

So you don't think there's anything wrong with decorating the home of one of Britain's most respected leaders with the iconography of his hated enemies, an iconography representative and hatred and genocide?


Nope.

It depends entirely on the context.

And the context is: There were plenty other old mansions Bay could have used. Why, specifically, did he choose to drape Nazi iconography all over the home of a man whose greatest achievement was contributing to their defeat?
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892236)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on June 25th, 2017 @ 12:56pm CDT
...somewhat off topic, I know, but I'll be seeing the movie tonight. I'll share my thoughts (as well as those of my parents) afterward in the spoiler thread!
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892241)
Posted by william-james88 on June 25th, 2017 @ 1:10pm CDT
Sigma Magnus wrote:...somewhat off topic, I know, but I'll be seeing the movie tonight. I'll share my thoughts (as well as those of my parents) afterward in the spoiler thread!

Good, now while you watch it, if you dont mind, please check how the talisman is actually linked to the mcguffin and what it does. And then report back. Because I am pretty sure the talisman has nothing to do with the actual main plot of the movie but it would be fun to have someone back me up on it with the movie fresh in their minds.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892256)
Posted by JazZeke on June 25th, 2017 @ 1:44pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:...somewhat off topic, I know, but I'll be seeing the movie tonight. I'll share my thoughts (as well as those of my parents) afterward in the spoiler thread!

Good, now while you watch it, if you dont mind, please check how the talisman is actually linked to the mcguffin and what it does. And then report back. Because I am pretty sure the talisman has nothing to do with the actual main plot of the movie but it would be fun to have someone back me up on it with the movie fresh in their minds.

I have a theory they're setting up Cade to become the Rom: Spaceknight of the "Hasbro Cinematic Batnipple Universe."
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892322)
Posted by Va'al on June 25th, 2017 @ 8:00pm CDT
Given the reaction to Transformers: The Last Knight's robotic star Cogman, here's some news on the voice behind the bot: Jim Carter! Also known for his role in Downton Abbey, Carter was interviewed by YouTube channel HeyUGuys at the London premiere (images here and footage on Chicago here), and talks about his experience on set with Michael Bay and Anthony Hopkins. Check out the video below, and join the conversation in the Energon Pub!

Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892329)
Posted by Sigma Magnus on June 25th, 2017 @ 8:41pm CDT
william-james88 wrote:
Sigma Magnus wrote:...somewhat off topic, I know, but I'll be seeing the movie tonight. I'll share my thoughts (as well as those of my parents) afterward in the spoiler thread!

Good, now while you watch it, if you dont mind, please check how the talisman is actually linked to the mcguffin and what it does. And then report back. Because I am pretty sure the talisman has nothing to do with the actual main plot of the movie but it would be fun to have someone back me up on it with the movie fresh in their minds.

In the car on the way home. They needed the Talisman to open the Knight's ship, to get to Merlin's tomb and the Staff.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892330)
Posted by Va'al on June 25th, 2017 @ 9:16pm CDT
The weekend is practically over for most of the globe now, and after the initial reports from the international box office, we have some more news on the performance of Transformers: The Last Knight outside of the US! According to a number of sources, including Wall Street Journal and Deadline, the international opening was extremely strong, making up to $196.2 million for the opening weekend!

The domestic $69 million comes with a positive counterpoint, as TLK is dominating at number 1 over competitor releases (see here) - as opposed to, say Australia, where it opened against Cars 3 and Despicable Me 3 from the previous week, all three movies opening and competing for the younger audiences (and the kid alive in most TF fans, one assumes) as they coincide with school holidays.

The Last Knight is currently the highest opening instalment for the franchise in China, and the 4th best ever for a movie in general; the bigger hits were then seen in Korea, Russia, UK and Germany. The trend noticed so far is pretty much in line with Age of Extinction worldwide, with some expected Sunday dips in screen attendance and tickets, but a stronger opening. Read more about it here and below - and if you've seen the movie and want to talk spoilers, head here to join the discussion!


Launching in 41 offshore markets, Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight opened to $196.2M at the international box office. That’s a big number and is towards the higher end of the pre-weekend range. But it’s also a swing from where we saw this coming in yesterday — partially the result of an unexpected 31% drop in China from Saturday to Sunday. The debut FSS cume there is $123.4M (63% of the full offshore bow). Factoring in domestic, the global total on The Last Knight is $265.3M.

[...]

But after China debuted bigger than some had expected, it began to look like T5 was moving across the $200M mark abroad to defy expectations. Then that market proved to be the wild card we often term it. Although the film lost no Middle Kingdom screens between Saturday and Sunday, the drop was bigger than we’ve recently seen — and daily growth was also soft in other hubs contrary to typical patterns on a movie that was teed up for overseas, and China in particular. China currently reps 63% of the full overseas total — with just 25% of Middle Kingdom receipts flowing back to the studio. The film cost a reported $217M before P&A.


Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892358)
Posted by Rodimus Prime on June 25th, 2017 @ 11:03pm CDT
Good to see it do well in its opening weekend, we'll see how it does on its 2nd weekend. I thought it was better than AoE and it was also shorter, so hopefully it will also break a billion dollars.
Re: New Interview with Jerrod Carmichael From Transformers: The Last Knight (1892364)
Posted by ToaLeePrime on June 25th, 2017 @ 11:48pm CDT
It would be nice to see Bay's final swing at the franchise do well, however flawed it may be. I enjoyed it, and clearly other people have too, so that's good enough for me.

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Seaspray" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Laserbeak" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #268 - Call Me 2020
Twincast / Podcast #268:
"Call Me 2020"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, January 18th, 2021

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Titans Return Skullcruncher" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Headmaster Reissue Hardhead Chromedome Brainstorm Mindwipe Set of 4" on EBAY
Buy "** 2014 - WINDCHARGER Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class **" on EBAY
Buy "G1 Transformers Headmaster Skullcruncher" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS THE LAST KNIGHT PREMIER EDITION DELUXE DINOBOT SLUG NEW IN BOX" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Heroes Of Cybertron: Generation One Collection Grimlock." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Deluxe DINOBOT SLUDGE Figure Hasbro 2017" on EBAY
Buy "Titans Return Transformers Scourge Rippersnapper Highbrow Twinferno New" on EBAY